[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 3/29/2017 at 5:08 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Copied from the old FAQ cus I'm a lazy boye:
NOTE – BDB is balanced to have parts inline with stock values. This means that the rockets significantly overperform in the stock system. The alternative would be to have parts that are very underpowered compared to contemporary parts. To achieve proper balance, we recommend using a 3.2x rescale, which requires rockets to be built with more realistic proportions.

So, basically, assuming that the Mk1 command pod is the same diameter as a kerbal-scale Mercury capsule, then if you build a kerbal scale Saturn (for example) you'll have ~160% of the dV that you need (3700 dV vs 5500dV to make orbit). In 3.2x, the rockets should perform roughly accurately (with obvious issues with rounding the diameters to fixed sizes, etc). The takeaway should be, parts made with stock performance values (despite being nerfed compared to real life!) are severely overpowered in the tiny stock solar system.

CobaltWolf,

I'm using your mod for the first time, and really enjoying it.  I'm using it in a 10.6x GPP save, and initially ran SMURFF at full lever (which is normal for an RSS save).  However, this seems overpowered - for example, a 6.4 ton rocket put a 22 kg satellite into a 200 x 3,000 km orbit.  With your comments above, it seems like a lower lever seems appropriate, but would you have any advice on what it might be?  0.6 or 0.7, perhaps?  And how closely do the sizes and masses track to RL?  Any sort of a rough fraction or conversion factor would enable me to crunch some numbers and arrive at something appropriate.  

And just for some eye candy, here's the first crewed rocket I made in sandbox as I was getting a feel for the part catalog:

35yjiza.png

5 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

I'm using your mod for the first time, and really enjoying it.  I'm using it in a 10.6x GPP save, and initially ran SMURFF at full lever (which is normal for an RSS save).  However, this seems overpowered - for example, a 6.4 ton rocket put a 22 kg satellite into a 200 x 3,000 km orbit.  With your comments above, it seems like a lower lever seems appropriate, but would you have any advice on what it might be?  0.6 or 0.7, perhaps?  And how closely do the sizes and masses track to RL?  Any sort of a rough fraction or conversion factor would enable me to crunch some numbers and arrive at something appropriate.

We set the SMURFFExclude flag so SMURFF shouldn't be doing anything to these parts unless you disabled that. There is an in house SMURFF-alike script that handles some special needs we have and makes the necessary adjustments for rescales up to 6.4x. Beyond that what you really need are bigger rockets.

With a few exceptions everything is about 64% scale +- a few percent. Saturn is smaller, 54% I think. There is a patch to make Saturn 64% as well. That was needed for 6.4x since it simply does not have enough fuel to make orbit in 6.4x without reducing Apollo's mass to ridiculous numbers.

2 hours ago, Jso said:

We set the SMURFFExclude flag so SMURFF shouldn't be doing anything to these parts unless you disabled that. There is an in house SMURFF-alike script that handles some special needs we have and makes the necessary adjustments for rescales up to 6.4x. Beyond that what you really need are bigger rockets.

With a few exceptions everything is about 64% scale +- a few percent. Saturn is smaller, 54% I think. There is a patch to make Saturn 64% as well. That was needed for 6.4x since it simply does not have enough fuel to make orbit in 6.4x without reducing Apollo's mass to ridiculous numbers.

Jso,

Thanks for the informative response. This is exactly the sort of information I was looking for.

Hi @CobaltWolf, a quick question. Is this update that you are working on going to be save breaking? I did have a look back a few pages so either I'm being blind (most likely with this flu) or it hasn't been mentioned. I'm thinking about starting a new save and throwing this fantastic looking pack into it so wondering if i should hold off on starting out

21 minutes ago, Chimer4 said:

Hi @CobaltWolf, a quick question. Is this update that you are working on going to be save breaking? I did have a look back a few pages so either I'm being blind (most likely with this flu) or it hasn't been mentioned. I'm thinking about starting a new save and throwing this fantastic looking pack into it so wondering if i should hold off on starting out

I believe the next update, as it will mostly be just an art pass + skylab, will not be save breaking.

34 minutes ago, Chimer4 said:

12 minutes ago, minepagan said:

I believe the next update, as it will mostly be just an art pass + skylab, will not be save breaking.

At this point, I do not believe it will be save breaking. However, please remember that there is a complete remake of the Atlas parts scheduled, which will be save breaking.

2 hours ago, Chimer4 said:

1 hour ago, minepagan said:

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

At this point, I do not believe it will be save breaking. However, please remember that there is a complete remake of the Atlas parts scheduled, which will be save breaking.

The single chamber version of the Titan IV engine got moved up a few nodes in the tech tree. I think that's only an issue if you're using it. Other than that nothing save breaking. This is the current state of the changelog:

Spoiler
  -Skylab - probably not yet.

-Moved Prometheus IV single chamber engine to Heavy Rocketry. Adjusted alternator, cost and mass. Changed title to Prometheus-X-350.
  -MOL lab settings tweaked to generate science faster. Mass and cost adjusted.
  -OSO experiment mass fixed.
  -S1E engine mount, SLA heat tolerance increased.
  -RCS cost balanced.
  -Balloon and Cryo tanks cost reduced.
  -All engines cost adjusted. Huge solids now very expensive.
  -More tags

13 minutes ago, Chimer4 said:

alright,  thanks guys. So i should be gravy as long as I avoid  the atlas parts (thats the muos right?)

"Planned" could mean next summer. Use 'em. They're too useful to avoid.

Slowly improving the Saturn textures... sorta trying to figure out what changes I'm making to the design (reducing the # of panel edges to smooth it out, might rethink how I'm doing the look of the S-II stage) before trying to get the exact style of paint laid in.

VBcjQrd.png

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Slowly improving the Saturn textures... sorta trying to figure out what changes I'm making to the design (reducing the # of panel edges to smooth it out, might rethink how I'm doing the look of the S-II stage) before trying to get the exact style of paint laid in.

Definitely rethink that S-II. Yuck.

6 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

(that's basically how it is now... :P )

So it is. It's not so glaring in game. Did you enhance the panel edges or is that just the render vs in game?

Edited by Jso

A whole 6 months after I first suggested something may have been coming, it's finally here!

This cinematic was intended to be used alongside the 1.0 release, when the Saturn V was initially released, but better late than never, right?

7 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

A whole 6 months after I first suggested something may have been coming, it's finally here!

This cinematic was intended to be used alongside the 1.0 release, when the Saturn V was initially released, but better late than never, right?

Impressive work! 

44 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

@MrMeeb Thanks I needed to see that to recharge my KSP Drive Batteries & it did a great job :).

@CobaltWolf Of course Thank you for making the mod :).

5 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

~Epic Clip Snip~

This deserves to be the new OP cinematic. No offense @FullAuto556.

@CobaltWolf The progress you've made since I first saw this mod last year is absolutely amazing, making it easily my favorite mod in the game. I just want to thank you so much for all the hard work you've put into this for all of us, for free. Thank you so much.

@MrMeeb That cinematic is awesome! Easily the best one you've made so far!

Anyways, I should really get back into KSP, haven't played it in two months due to me somehow ruining my install when I attempted to give all of the BDB parts cheese textures.

Thanks for all the love everyone!

7 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

@MrMeeb awesome video. Technical question - when you aligned the launch clamps like that were they actually usable in that configuration upon launch itself?

Everything but the crew bridge worked fine. When decoupling the crew bridge it applied weird force to the rocket that jammed it in a weird position, so I just made a second instance of the craft with the bridge retracted