[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

10 hours ago, Drakenex said:

my take on the Venus Fly-by AAP

Really nice, I tried making a BDB flyby vehicle before 1.3.0 came out and I didn't have the greatest luck. I ran into a problem of having more than enough for the trajectory to Eve but apparently not enough to get myself back to Kerbal. I'm still fairly inexperienced with traveling outside Kerbal/Mun/Minmus so it might have been a problem on my part instead of my craft.

13 hours ago, Drakenex said:

my take on the Venus Fly-by AAP

Very nice! I want one of the future updates to be focused on interplanetary Saturn/Apollo stuff - probably the two main Venus proposals (the S-IVB one and the one that uses a mission module with the Apollo, each only requires one new part), and Ares from Voyage - which would include stuff like 5.625m docking ports, side docking ports, active cooling radiators to reduce/eliminate boiloff at the cost of EC... MEM probably wouldn't be part of it, at least not in that same update.

11 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Darn. This was not obvious enough. Then the doors are no hatch covers but kinda non-functional EVA storage I guess...

I'll keep that in mind when I do the MOL parts revamp at some point.

5 hours ago, MalzM said:

Damn it was a good idea to start playing KSP again after such a long time! Your mod has become so awesome, @CobaltWolf, that I had to write an entry to the forum for it... Thanks!

Thank you! :)

L8t9IqD.pngrZTLOIY.pngFE3r6kK.png

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

and Ares from Voyage

Such a good book. Excellent take on what realistically could have been had things gone a bit differently.

Wasn't too impressed by the rest of the series though sadly. Gave up partway through book 2.

Parts to make Ares would be incredible though. The Saturn V has been the backbone of my fleet so far in my 2.5x rescaled save. Even tried making a reusable one that would combine a spacex landing with Vulcan's proposed reusable upper stages before swapping to the larger parts in the Near Future ITS style pack.

The bluedog_MOL_DockingPort is a neat construct, but it confuses somehow.

• the CLS status (locked or not, hatch open or not) always shows the same value as it was after vessel load (I will reference this post over there)
  • only the button indicates the actual status ("Open hatch" tells me the hatch is closed)
  • same goes for the ring, "Retract ring" tells me that it's not locked
  • because I have to switch to the other vessel to also retract the ring of that side, CLS / ShipManifest gets confused and the living spaces are no more separated, after docking is complete the whole thing becomes one living space, so they're merged.
  • this means the whole thing gets the name of the station I attached to (the CLS living space as well as the game's vessel name)
  • after decoupling the mission vessel from the station it still has the name of the station
  • I guess it's because the mission vessel was controlled from the docking port, the station was still controlled from a ModuleCommand

Is this known?

Edited by Gordon Dry

17 hours ago, Enorats said:

Such a good book. Excellent take on what realistically could have been had things gone a bit differently.

Wasn't too impressed by the rest of the series though sadly. Gave up partway through book 2.

Parts to make Ares would be incredible though. The Saturn V has been the backbone of my fleet so far in my 2.5x rescaled save. Even tried making a reusable one that would combine a spacex landing with Vulcan's proposed reusable upper stages before swapping to the larger parts in the Near Future ITS style pack.

I was under the impression the other books in the trilogy were only loosely related. I am about halfway through Voyage right now, I have to same I'm lukewarm to it. The characters feel like they're an obstacle to the engineering talk rather than carrying the story forwards. If you haven't, you really should read Prospero One, his short story set in the same timeline about the first British manned spaceflight.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050310032846/http://www.cix.co.uk/~sjbradshaw/baxterium/prospero.html

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

The bluedog_MOL_DockingPort is a neat construct, but it confuses somehow.

• the CLS status (locked or not, hatch open or not) always shows the same value as it was after vessel load (I will reference this post over there)
  • only the button indicates the actual status ("Open hatch" tells me the hatch is closed)
  • same goes for the ring, "Retract ring" tells me that it's not locked
  • because I have to switch to the other vessel to also retract the ring of that side, CLS / ShipManifest gets confused and the living spaces are no more separated, after docking is complete the whole thing becomes one living space, so they're merged.
  • this means the whole thing gets the name of the station I attached to (the CLS living space as well as the game's vessel name)
  • after decoupling the mission vessel from the station it still has the name of the station
  • I guess it's because the mission vessel was controlled from the docking port, the station was still controlled from a ModuleCommand

Is this known?

I'm not sure, I don't believe we actually have proper CLS support, and I honestly don't really know how it works at all.

And if I follow, part of the issue is the need to retract both docking ports? I'll keep that in mind for when I get to updating the MOS ports - a passive variant shouldn't be too hard, and would probably be useful. Since the colliders on the active port would still allow soft>hard docking, it wouldn't even have to be gendered and the player could still dock active>active or passive>passive if that's what they wanted.

Also, I believe last time myself and @Jso spoke, he thought there was an issue with the way you had configured the TAC-LS configs. Something like the TAC configs WERE configured correctly, and the resources are supposed to go in container parts and not the pods themselves?

26 minutes ago, akron said:

Atlas looks nice. Too bad I only ever see it zoomed out during flight. I'll have to take some close up screenshots next time

Thanks! Don't know how long it'll take to finish. It feels so far along and yet... not? Anyways, only had a few minutes last night to work on it but I added some greebles to the adapter tank:

kOzCVHX.png

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Something like the TAC configs WERE configured correctly, and the resources are supposed to go in container parts and not the pods themselves?

This is a problem with MFT - when TAC-LS and MFT are installed, empty containers for MFT are generated but unfilled.

Now I know how to create TAC-LS configs, they're easy, but MFT-for-TAC-LS configs are out of my scope actually...

4 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

This is a problem with MFT - when TAC-LS and MFT are installed, empty containers for MFT are generated but unfilled.

Now I know how to create TAC-LS configs, they're easy, but MFT-for-TAC-LS configs are out of my scope actually...

That's just how MFT works. You tell it what to put in the tanks. Setting them up in the config is a bit of a PIA but can be done. You really need to setup a clean install with just the minimum and see what happens. For all you know it does work properly and one of your other 100+ mods is clobbering the life support.

5 hours ago, Enorats said:

Book 2 was about manned mission to Titan I believe. They're only very loosely related.

Most depressing book I ever read.

1 hour ago, Jso said:

That's just how MFT works. You tell it what to put in the tanks.

In case of TAC-LS this sucks.
How to balance out the perfect fitting values, that all resources got the same time until depletion AND all resources together fill the MFT tank with 100% ??

2 hours ago, Abpilot said:

voyger please i have a planet alignment coming up an raiderneck has FAILED ME!!! i would like voyger probe plz:D

1 hour ago, Deltac said:

Seriously, can't go wrong with that pack. It works really well with BDB, and the added science bits and bobs are perfect for R&D grinds.

2 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Seriously, can't go wrong with that pack. It works really well with BDB, and the added science bits and bobs are perfect for R&D grinds.

no but i use 1.3 and i use steam so it is not compatable

8 hours ago, Abpilot said:

no but i use 1.3 and i use steam so it is not compatable

According to the last couple posts on that mod's thread the latest version on their github page is 1.3 compatible.

Not sure why using steam would matter at all.

Steam asks which you want to start when you start it. A menu pops up with several options for me.

Still, not sure why that would mean he couldn't use a certain mod. We all used tons of them before x64 came out.

Also.. people still play the x32 version? Like.. what are they playing on, a fossil?