[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, Drakenex said:

Yup, auto struts or KJR

For really large craft, KJR works better. Of course it's nice to be able to keep it stock, so until you reach the point where autostrut isn't cutting it, it's probably the preferred solution.

A full Saturn V stack may be at the level you would be thinking KJR though.

6 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

That's super nice.  I especially like the changes to the engine bell and the piping.
Is that some sort of isometric view?  It may be optical illusion, but it looks a bit like anti-perspective almost.

Yes, it's isometric. In unity click the viewcube at the top right, or just click where it says 'PER' underneath it.

12 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I felt Vega deserved some love. Old on left, new on right.

Nice improvement! 

@CobaltWolf  Each new texture seems to have some improvement over the last.   Vega was good before but dayum... now....  WOW!

So does this means I don't have to keep using the Excelsior (Blue-Streak) small balloon tank then for Vega?   :)

46 minutes ago, GregT said:

First off Great mod ! I love the Saturn V. I'm having trouble with the LEM for 1.3. My Kerbals are having trouble getting back up the ladder on eva's. Any suggestions? 

Actually your step 1 would be to go to the first page and then visit the Github and see if anyone has posted an issue in the bug tracker relating to this.  

I didn't open any of the issues currently listed at :https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues?page=1&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen

But by title I did not see anything related to Spica lander (the Apollo Lander's name in BDB)

I haven't used the lander in a while and we often times see issues with one mod playing with another, so this might not be related to THIS mod even though the part in question is from it.  Now Cobalt has had issues with ladders with some of the older parts (sliding Kerbals on Gemini and Mercury for example) but I don't remember this being one of them.   I have just unlocked the lander in my career and am planning a visit to Iota today with it...  

Edited by Pappystein
Link and followup to Github issues tracker

So I have already edited these two entries out of my copy of the Optional Saturn Multibody parts cfg (in the BDB extra folder.) but can someone tell me why the UA-1207 was DOWNscaled for Saturn?

Spoiler

+PART[bluedog_Titan_SRB7seg]
{
    @name = bluedog_Titan_SRB7seg_Saturn
    @author = CobaltWolf Feat. Drakenex
    @MODEL
    {
        %scale = 0.8, 0.67, 0.8
    }
    @scale = 0.67
    @node_attach = 1.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0
    @title = Sarnus-MB-UA1207 Solid Booster
    @description = Titan 7-segment solid rocket motor used on Sarnus Multibody.
    @mass = 6
    @tags = solid srb booster 1.5 saturn sarnus multibody

@RESOURCE[SolidFuel]
    {
        @amount = 4755
        @maxAmount = 4755
    }
}

+PART[bluedog_Titan_SRBnose]
{
    @name = bluedog_Saturn_SRBnose
    @author = CobaltWolf Feat. Drakenex
    @MODEL
    {
        %scale = 0.8, 0.9, 0.8
    }
    @scale = 0.9
    @tags = srb booster nose cone solid sep separation saturn sarnus multibody
}

I would assume that this was to represent the 156" UA1562 or UA1563 ESRM (Enhanced Solid Rocket Motor) that was built and tested but never launched....But 156" is LARGER than 120"

Thanks for the clarification

22 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Nice improvement! 

@CobaltWolf  Each new texture seems to have some improvement over the last.   Vega was good before but dayum... now....  WOW!

So does this means I don't have to keep using the Excelsior (Blue-Streak) small balloon tank then for Vega?   :)

I mean, you probably shouldn't have in the first place? :P But yes, I suppose so. Once this is on Github. I'm switching to Centaur updates now.

1 hour ago, GregT said:

First off Great mod ! I love the Saturn V. I'm having trouble with the LEM for 1.3. My Kerbals are having trouble getting back up the ladder on eva's. Any suggestions?

22 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Actually your step 1 would be to go to the first page and then visit the Github and see if anyone has posted an issue in the bug tracker relating to this.  

I didn't open any of the issues currently listed at :https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues?page=1&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen

But by title I did not see anything related to Spica lander (the Apollo Lander's name in BDB)

I haven't used the lander in a while and we often times see issues with one mod playing with another, so this might not be related to THIS mod even though the part in question is from it.  Now Cobalt has had issues with ladders with some of the older parts (sliding Kerbals on Gemini and Mercury for example) but I don't remember this being one of them.   I have just unlocked the lander in my career and am planning a visit to Iota today with it... 

@Pappystein the lander is named 'Sina', after the Hawaiian moon goddess. :)

@GregT unfortunately, making lander/airlock colliders is one of the trickiest parts of KSP modding. I will log an issue on Github to take a look at it before I release the next update (coming once Atlas, Centaur, and Vega updates are done). However, assuming you have put it together correctly, it should be *possible*, if not *easy* to get them in. I know I've done it before.

7 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

So I have already edited these two entries out of my copy of the Optional Saturn Multibody parts cfg (in the BDB extra folder.) but can someone tell me why the UA-1207 was DOWNscaled for Saturn

I would assume that this was to represent the 156" UA1562 or UA1563 ESRM (Enhanced Solid Rocket Motor) that was built and tested but never launched....But 156" is LARGER than 120"

Thanks for the clarification

Probably because the Saturn is underscaled in BDB (for several reasons), which then makes the UA120X boosters small compared to it. @Drakenex probably did it so they'd fit the artwork.

Edited by CobaltWolf

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I mean, you probably shouldn't have in the first place? :P But yes, I suppose so. Once this is on Github. I'm switching to Centaur updates now.

That is what I get for using the optional rename cfg for all your parts! 

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Probably because the Saturn is underscaled in BDB (for several reasons), which then makes the UA120X boosters small compared to it. @Drakenex probably did it so they'd fit the artwork.

Ah, didn't think of THAT particular reason but I should have known better  THANKS!

Edited by Pappystein

6 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

where do I put folder BD_Extras?

You pick and choose the elements out of that folder that you want. Some of them get copied into GameData and others have a nested GameData folder that needs to be merged with your main GameData.

..help? from the lander adapter module down, what is the assembly order for each grouping of parts? I'm hardly a novice rocket builder but for the life of me I cant figure out what tank goes to what stage..

trying to put together a saturn V launch stack.

Edited by RaiderMan

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@GregT unfortunately, making lander/airlock colliders is one of the trickiest parts of KSP modding. I will log an issue on Github to take a look at it before I release the next update (coming once Atlas, Centaur, and Vega updates are done). However, assuming you have put it together correctly, it should be *possible*, if not *easy* to get them in. I know I've done it before.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

1 hour ago, RaiderMan said:

where do I put folder BD_Extras?

1 hour ago, Aelfhe1m said:

You pick and choose the elements out of that folder that you want. Some of them get copied into GameData and others have a nested GameData folder that needs to be merged with your main GameData.

1 hour ago, RaiderMan said:

translation: unless there's something I wanna try based on user feedback, I'm better off not worrying?

Most likely. It's all stuff that people made that I wanted to keep in one place, but none of it is stuff that I want to actually provide support for in any way. :P

55 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

..help? from the lander adapter module down, what is the assembly order for each grouping of parts? I'm hardly a novice rocket builder but for the life of me I cant figure out what tank goes to what stage..

Some reading on the IRL Saturn V is probably helpful - they come up if you search for the real stage names (ex: sivb for the upper stage). There is also a manual produced by the awesome @DiscoSlelge linked in the first post of the thread which includes stage-by-stage building instructions along with an overall look at the rocket, starting on page 66.

And, just to make sure, you're attaching the lander's bottom to the LAM, not to the bottom of the Apollo engine?

9 hours ago, davidy12 said:

What's the Descent stage composed of?

That would be Linuxgamers Altair Descent Stage (also tweakscale enabled) along with tweakscale enabled landing legs from Planetary Bases.

However, I've tweaked the design a bit since so it now look like this:

TLbkDMh.png

So thats its a lot more accurate.