[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Cobalt,

Wanted to mention,  flew the Bossart Rocket the other day.  Flew like a Dream.   I had a Vega-Excelsior-Vega upper stage (Blue Streak small balloon tank in lieu of Vega tankage...)   Looked awesome and flew even better.  Coloration was obviously similar but not exactly the same (the Bossart vs Blue-Streak.)

1 hour ago, akron said:

Oh look, you finished Cassini. Does this mean I can stop working on mine?

the good news: not my creation, is a model that has been around for a while I just gave it some texture love, but the author doesn't want me to share it ;.;; in the other hand yours looks awesome and you better go and get it done.

The bad news: I've decided to enter the arena and stop being a re-texture peasant hehe, I'm slowly re-learning blender and unity, though for my first project I'll be using a NASA open-source model.

3 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

@CobaltWolf how to make the gemini nose docking mechanism so that they can dock to each other?

Um, you could create a MM file that removes the gendered portion of the docking port nodes....

In THEORY the following would fix it....   But I am not going to guarantee this nor am I going to test it... that is 100% on you.

Spoiler

@PART[bluedog_Gemini_Port_A]:AFTER[Bluedog_DB]
{
    !MODULE[ModuleDockingNode],*
    {}
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleDockingNode
        referenceAttachNode = top
        nodeType = gemini    
        acquireForce = 0.75
        acquireTorque = 1
        gendered = false
        //genderFemale = false
    }

}

Edited by Pappystein

9 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Um, you could create a MM file that removes the gendered portion of the docking port nodes....

In THEORY the following would fix it....   But I am not going to guarantee this nor am I going to test it... that is 100% on you.

Hide contents

@PART[bluedog_Gemini_Port_A]:AFTER[Bluedog_DB]
{
    !MODULE[ModuleDockingNode],*
    {}
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleDockingNode
        referenceAttachNode = top
        nodeType = gemini    
        acquireForce = 0.75
        acquireTorque = 1
        gendered = false
        //genderFemale = false
    }

}

thanks!

After helping someone else with their capsule project, I decided I really wanted to work on spacecraft stuff for a bit instead of launchers... revamps of the Aardvark and Apollo Block III+ are mostly done. Note that those new single thrusters are not canon, but I decided to make them since a) they cost literally nothing in terms of texture space to add, and b) I figured they would be helpful for a lot of people. I'm thinking I want to take care of the Block IV mission module while I'm at it. The Block II Aardvark stuff is a bit more of an ask - I frankly don't know if I have texture space to spare right now!  :)

Again, if anyone has ideas for tiny 'useful' bits that fit into the Apollo part set, let me know. Low hanging fruit, if you will. I already have an idea for a neat little omni antenna that I'd like to make.

rDOJl1X.png

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

After helping someone else with their capsule project, I decided I really wanted to work on spacecraft stuff for a bit instead of launchers... revamps of the Aardvark and Apollo Block III+ are mostly done. Note that those new single thrusters are not canon, but I decided to make them since a) they cost literally nothing in terms of texture space to add, and b) I figured they would be helpful for a lot of people. I'm thinking I want to take care of the Block IV mission module while I'm at it. The Block II Aardvark stuff is a bit more of an ask - I frankly don't know if I have texture space to spare right now!  :)

Again, if anyone has ideas for tiny 'useful' bits that fit into the Apollo part set, let me know. Low hanging fruit, if you will. I already have an idea for a neat little omni antenna that I'd like to make.

Ok so since we don't have any great pictures of it.....  How about that Single thruster made in a 2x ROLL only RCS thruster for Centaur?   The Marquardt R4D is likely NOT the "Hydrazine Roll Control Subsystem" used on Centaur for single engine flights but all the components are already or mostly made yes?   Next to no texture involvement (just the 2x Fixture the engine bells are already done,) and you have stated a need for such a device.   After all there really are no good pictures of the Centaur Roll Control System, correct?

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Ok so since we don't have any great pictures of it.....  How about that Single thruster made in a 2x ROLL only RCS thruster for Centaur?   The Marquardt R4D is likely NOT the "Hydrazine Roll Control Subsystem" used on Centaur for single engine flights but all the components are already or mostly made yes?   Next to no texture involvement (just the 2x Fixture the engine bells are already done,) and you have stated a need for such a device.   After all there really are no good pictures of the Centaur Roll Control System, correct?

I'm not sure what you mean by Centaur Roll Control System. Do you mean the RCS that goes on the bottom of the Centaur? Because that already exists in the mod, in two flavors actually. If you mean the Atlas II Roll Control System, which was located on the Centaur interstage, I actually DO have good reference for that (Thanks to @Phineas Freak for a 'naked' image so I could see the thruster layout, and some others whom I can't remember who highlighted it in some launch images so I could see what it looked like in flight) and it is something I am planning on including in the release of the new Atlas parts. Of course, I have no issue making that RCS layout (I just wish there was a way to do it with mesh switching, so I could just have them be one part in the catalog...) and I'll get to it when I can. :) If anyone has others that they really need, let me know.

5 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

the module on the left in the picture..what is it?

The Kanaloa AARDV, also known as the Aardvark, from Eyes Turned Skywards. Imagine if you made an ATV derived from Apollo hardware. Basically, the shortened Apollo Block III service module with autonomous/remote control and a big drum full of cargo. It is also used, without the cargo module (so, just the service module and probe core ring) as a tug for delivering station modules to Spacelab and later Freedom.

fetch.php?w=750&tok=fd87de&media=timelin

Just now, K1productions said:

By "cargo module" you mean to ferry supplies, propellant, etc up to the station, or to ferry ore around?  Thus far, I have been wishing the ore carriers could be changed to carry fuel as well

I believe the intent was that the cargo modules would have new functionality added depending on what mods you have installed. So if you have KIS it'll have a KIS inventory option, if you use TAC it'll have life support supplies etc. The only thing I don't feel it should be capable of carrying is actually fuel - the module isn't designed to hold it. Of course, that's something you could easily change on your end. :)

By the way, if it is not behaving that way (if you have KIS and do not get a KIS storage option in the B9 switcher) that needs to be fixed - I don't actively test the mod enough to find things like that.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I have 2 Apollo and 2 other, hopefully minor, suggestions: 

The LM Shelter: "The Apollo LM Shelter was essentially an Apollo LM with ascent stage engine and fuel tanks removed and replaced with consumables and scientific equipment for 14 days' extended lunar exploration." Wikipedia,

Apollo Venus Flyby parts (2 LEM Descent engine mount for the CSM, Modified S-IVB),

UA1206, UA1206-S and UA1202-S SRB's,

AJ-60 Boosters for the Atlas V.

Edited by Hay

2 hours ago, Hay said:

Snipped

All of them (excellent suggestions btw) + Spacelab double solar wings. All of them will reuse existent textures and IRC you've already modeled some LM variants.

A little question, the solid motor retros on the revamped Atlas skirt fire when loading the launch scene, happens to anyone else?

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The Block II Aardvark stuff is a bit more of an ask - I frankly don't know if I have texture space to spare right now!  :)

From what I found, tweakscaling the unpressurised cargo hold of the MOL/Transtage derived resupply craft area fits as a nice alternative for the Block II AARDV's unpressurised cargo bay. And if you modelled/textured the Block IV Apollo Mission Module, that can also be used (and scaled up) to be the pressurised cargo container.

It's very much a hack-job, but it's the best I can think of outside of pretty much making a brand new texture sheet for those parts.

Maybe an Apollo Solar Telescope that could fit inside the Block II's service bay, as well as an Apollo Science Module (based upon NASA's plans for the IRL block III CM)

Edited by T-10a

1 hour ago, T-10a said:

From what I found, tweakscaling the unpressurised cargo hold of the MOL/Transtage derived resupply craft area fits as a nice alternative for the Block II AARDV's unpressurised cargo bay. And if you modelled/textured the Block IV Apollo Mission Module, that can also be used (and scaled up) to be the pressurised cargo container.

It's very much a hack-job, but it's the best I can think of outside of pretty much making a brand new texture sheet for those parts.

Maybe an Apollo Solar Telescope that could fit inside the Block II's service bay, as well as an Apollo Science Module (based upon NASA's plans for the IRL block III CM)

Actually its better to just use a compressed version of the AARDV Pressurized part scaled up slightly larger for the Block IV.  Looks the part and keeps it simple.

Just now, G'th said:

Actually its better to just use a compressed version of the AARDV Pressurized part scaled up slightly larger for the Block IV.  Looks the part and keeps it simple.

Yeah, that's probably a better idea. My idea for a reused Block IV mission module came from this image:

fetch.php?cache=&media=timelines:aardv-b

Where the pressurised module 'hangs' over the side of the unpressurised module.

5 minutes ago, T-10a said:

Yeah, that's probably a better idea. My idea for a reused Block IV mission module came from this image:

Where the pressurised module 'hangs' over the side of the unpressurised module.

and if you want to be "super cannon" a bump map can take charge of the texture

6 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

well..aside from the lack o fuel option, nice ATV design. that said..looks like I'm designing a monoprop resupply with existing parts then.

If you want: A few pages back someone was very kind to provide a config file to add fuels to the containers. 

16 hours ago, Hay said:

I have 2 Apollo and 2 other, hopefully minor, suggestions: 

The LM Shelter: "The Apollo LM Shelter was essentially an Apollo LM with ascent stage engine and fuel tanks removed and replaced with consumables and scientific equipment for 14 days' extended lunar exploration." Wikipedia,

Apollo Venus Flyby parts (2 LEM Descent engine mount for the CSM, Modified S-IVB),

UA1206, UA1206-S and UA1202-S SRB's,

AJ-60 Boosters for the Atlas V.

Those are all bigger than what I was looking to do :P

13 hours ago, Drakenex said:

All of them (excellent suggestions btw) + Spacelab double solar wings. All of them will reuse existent textures and IRC you've already modeled some LM variants.

A little question, the solid motor retros on the revamped Atlas skirt fire when loading the launch scene, happens to anyone else?

Not sure about the retros. Spacelab parts are definitely coming at some point.

13 hours ago, T-10a said:

I'd rather make bespoke parts rather than hacking things together. I more meant it as... filling a texture sheet is a nice stopping point for content for an update.

IRL Block III CM? Please do tell. I hesitate to make things specifically for the service bay as I feel they're a big time investment for such limited use parts.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Those are all bigger than what I was looking to do :P

Not sure about the retros. Spacelab parts are definitely coming at some point.

I'd rather make bespoke parts rather than hacking things together. I more meant it as... filling a texture sheet is a nice stopping point for content for an update.

IRL Block III CM? Please do tell. I hesitate to make things specifically for the service bay as I feel they're a big time investment for such limited use parts.

Even the UA1206 boosters? I was hoping to finally be able to finish my Titan collection.