[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

30 minutes ago, Hay said:

Even the UA1206 boosters? I was hoping to finally be able to finish my Titan collection.

Er um.  you are forgetting about the UA1562 and UA1563?   Those were developed for Titan you know... Not Saturn like people seem to think.

I am testing some UA-156x cfg files right now.  They use the current UA1202 and UA1205 models so they DONT LOOK RIGHT but I needed to get my Saturn MLVs flying in style.  And yes I do have stretched MS-1C and MS-II/-IIA stages already configured...  Toying with the mass of them right now because currently I don't even need Castor-Is to get airborne.  The payloadless Rocket LEAPS off the pad with BDB F-1A engines.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'd rather make bespoke parts rather than hacking things together. I more meant it as... filling a texture sheet is a nice stopping point for content for an update.

On the subject of Bespoke parts and Mesh switching.  Will we see more engines with Mesh-switching?

On 9/24/2017 at 1:18 PM, CobaltWolf said:

If you mean the Atlas II Roll Control System, which was located on the Centaur interstage, I actually DO have good reference for that (Thanks to @Phineas Freak for a 'naked' image so I could see the thruster layout, and some others whom I can't remember who highlighted it in some launch images so I could see what it looked like in flight) and it is something I am planning on including in the release of the new Atlas parts. Of course, I have no issue making that RCS layout (I just wish there was a way to do it with mesh switching, so I could just have them be one part in the catalog...) and I'll get to it when I can. :) If anyone has others that they really need, let me know.

No issues.  I was un-aware you found better pics than those poor launch photos I sent you a few months ago.   Some group of engineers tried to refute that the Roll Control system was part of Atlas stating the booster engines provided all the pitch and roll control Atlas needed....    If I had been awake when I did my original post (having just read that "news" article....   I would have caught on that the boosters are staged away....  Atlas needs Roll Control.      dum dum dum.

I know there are people that have made 1/2/4/5 axis switchable RCS modules (Actually I think it was B9 itself...)  So you MIGHT be able to do that.   *Goes to download B-9 to his test install...*

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

IRL Block III CM? Please do tell. I hesitate to make things specifically for the service bay as I feel they're a big time investment for such limited use parts.

There's not much reference material for the real planned Block III, but from what I found it was mainly meant to handle freeflying experiments, such as the Apollo Solar Telescope (which in reality was mounted on Skylab). Only sources I found so far was this book:

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=nL3lLGtc9mgC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

and VintageSpace's video on cancelled Apollo missions (which likely referenced this)

20 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Er um.  you are forgetting about the UA1562 and UA1563?   Those were developed for Titan you know... Not Saturn like people seem to think.

I am testing some UA-156x cfg files right now.  They use the current UA1202 and UA1205 models so they DONT LOOK RIGHT but I needed to get my Saturn MLVs flying in style.  And yes I do have stretched MS-1C and MS-II/-IIA stages already configured...  Toying with the mass of them right now because currently I don't even need Castor-Is to get airborne.  The payloadless Rocket LEAPS off the pad with BDB F-1A engines.

On the subject of Bespoke parts and Mesh switching.  Will we see more engines with Mesh-switching?

No issues.  I was un-aware you found better pics than those poor launch photos I sent you a few months ago.   Some group of engineers tried to refute that the Roll Control system was part of Atlas stating the booster engines provided all the pitch and roll control Atlas needed....    If I had been awake when I did my original post (having just read that "news" article....   I would have caught on that the boosters are staged away....  Atlas needs Roll Control.      dum dum dum.

I know there are people that have made 1/2/4/5 axis switchable RCS modules (Actually I think it was B9 itself...)  So you MIGHT be able to do that.   *Goes to download B-9 to his test install...*

Unfortunately, I have a finite amount of time and the UA156X boosters haven't come up yet. Some day, maybe if people donate enough for me to do this full time. :P

I imagine we'll see more engines with mesh switching, maybe similar to the Making History parts where you have shroud/shroudless variants, as well as versions with different diameters of mounting hardware.

From what Blowfish tells me, switching RCS modules using B9 won't work.

19 hours ago, T-10a said:

There's not much reference material for the real planned Block III, but from what I found it was mainly meant to handle freeflying experiments, such as the Apollo Solar Telescope (which in reality was mounted on Skylab). Only sources I found so far was this book:

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=nL3lLGtc9mgC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Well I have some misgivings about AST, so I decided to find a copy of that book and order it. Should be here some time next week. :)

14 hours ago, Drakenex said:

DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric.dll on the Dev version is very old, just FYI :kiss:

Oh?

Steaming right along here, Apollo cleanup progressing well. Turns out by rearrangement of the texture sheet means a lot of the Block V stuff needs to be redone as well but no big deal. Shown here is the Aardvark Tug, click the image to see more.

BZH8U62.png

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Unfortunately, I have a finite amount of time and the UA156X boosters haven't come up yet. Some day, maybe if people donate enough for me to do this full time. :P

To be clear, I wasn't poking at this.  Rather just mentioning that they were also needed if you want to "complete the collection" of SRMs developed for Titan.   Yes the 156" version was developed for a contract that was never let (LDC Titan for MOL IIRC.)   But.....

3 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

humble request for a dual mount LR-87 LH2.

You can easily edit that up yourself.   I have one or two :cool:

Once a Quad LR-87 comes out with LDC Titan, I will be looking to make a Hydrolox variant of that as well.   

Edited by Pappystein

14 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

To be clear, I wasn't poking at this.  Rather just mentioning that they were also needed if you want to "complete the collection" of SRMs developed for Titan.   Yes the 156" version was developed for a contract that was never let (LDC Titan for MOL IIRC.)   But.....

able to finish my Titan collection.

19 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

You can easily edit that up yourself.   I have one or two :cool:

Once a Quad LR-87 comes out with LDC Titan, I will be looking to make a Hydrolox variant of that as well.   

MM patch please!!

1 hour ago, Drakenex said:

MM patch please!!

Sounds like something I could knock together. I'll post it in a bit

Edit:

@Kerbal01

By "humble request for a dual mount LR-87 LH2." do you mean a Titan I LR87-3 that can burn LH2/O2 or a new model (because I can't model for sh*t)

Edited by TheRedTom
Asking requester for clarification

9 hours ago, TheRedTom said:

Edit:

@Kerbal01

By "humble request for a dual mount LR-87 LH2." do you mean a Titan I LR87-3 that can burn LH2/O2 or a new model (because I can't model for sh*t)

You could reuse the standard LR-87 model, since they have identical nozzles.

40 minutes ago, bismarck2013 said:

Is it a ionic motor ? Just another question does anyone know a rover mod who looks like an apollo rover? thanks

Closest I know is the Packrat from USI Exploration.

And yup - that's exactly what it is! Low tech, inefficient ions from before the more recent push to use them on more missions. This would've been used for Comet Haley probes in the 80s, using ion engines developed in the mid-late 60s.

http://www.drewexmachina.com/2016/03/06/the-missions-to-comet-halley/

Halley_002.jpg

15 hours ago, TheRedTom said:

Edit:

@Kerbal01

LR-87 AJ3 with blue nozzles and stats of the single LR-87 LH2 currently in game.

On 9/26/2017 at 5:02 PM, Drakenex said:

MM patch please!!

I am assuming you want my rough draft of UA156x rockets that re-use the UA1202 and UA1205 meshes?

I am doing some polishing on them right now (changing the vertical scale of the UA1564 so that it is closer to RL, tweaking T/W Ratios etc.)   But Soon (TM)

Hydrolox LR-87-AJ-X twin bell is (I use the "Prometheus II" engine mesh for this)   THIS is the engine that would have ended up as S-IVB stage Hydrolox.   However some of the early proposals have 2x of the single bell LR-87-AJ-X on opposite sides of the original S-IVa stage.   The Below MM uses better sourcing (Actual NASA/ABMA numbers not "book X" numbers that quote tests that were considered "failures," by Aerojet and NASA.  

Please note that I use the optional Realnames.cfg file that is included with BDB and these engines are named along that nomenclature.

Spoiler

// Titan Engines on Hydrolox for BlueDogDB
+PART[Bluedog_LR87_SinglechamberB]:NEEDS[Bluedog_DB]:AFTER[Bluedog_DB_1]
{
@name =  Bluedog_LR87Single_LH2
@manufacturer = Pafftek Enterprises in conjunction with Bluedog Design Bureau
@title = LR-87 LH2 Single Chamber
@description = One half of an LR-87-AJ-3 engine rebuilt to run on Hydrolox....  
!MODULE[ModuleEngines]
{
}
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleEngines
        thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
        exhaustDamage = True
        ignitionThreshold = 0.1
        minThrust = 0
        maxThrust = 165
        heatProduction = 200
        fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.9
        EngineType = LiquidFuel
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = LqdHydrogen
            ratio = 15
            DrawGauge = True
        }
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = Oxidizer
            ratio = 1
        }
        atmosphereCurve
        {
            key = 0 451
            key = 1 350
            key = 6 0.001
        }
    }
}
+PART[bluedog_LR87_mod2]:NEEDS[Bluedog_DB]:AFTER[Bluedog_DB&Bluedog_DB_1]
{
@name =  Bluedog_LR87AJ5_LH2
@manufacturer = Pafftek Enterprises in conjunction with Bluedog Design Bureau
@title = LR-87 LH2 Twin Chamber
@description = The Full LR-87-AJ-3 rebuilt to run on Hydrolox.... including some AJ-5 components.  Better than the J-2 but more complicated
!MODULE[ModuleEngines]
{
}
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleEngines
        thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
        exhaustDamage = True
        ignitionThreshold = 0.1
        minThrust = 0
        maxThrust = 533
        heatProduction = 200
        fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.9
        EngineType = LiquidFuel
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = LqdHydrogen
            ratio = 15
            DrawGauge = True
        }
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = Oxidizer
            ratio = 1
        }
        atmosphereCurve
        {
            key = 0 451
            key = 1 350
            key = 6 0.001
        }
    }
}

I'm having an issue with the Vanguard not wanting to "connect" to the rest of the rocket. I've run into this issue somewhere in the past, but I can't remember where. If I launch it with the full rocket it acts like it's all alone. Any suggestions? It's getting annoying.

EDIT: I commented out the built-in decoupler and it now seems like it's working fine. Odd.

Edited by captainradish