[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, RaiderMan said:

I'm cheating and using the aerodynamic mount and the s1b cluster engine there...plus the aux thrusters. looks to be coming together nicely, just need that second stage parts list.

Aerodynamic mount? And the second stage is a normal S-IVB.

1 hour ago, RaiderMan said:

saturn auxilliary thrusters will do.

ok, whats the second stage parts list please?

S-IVB Instrument Unit

S-IVB Tank  (Or, S-IVC if you have the Multibody stuff installed. But that will also require the H-03 configuration)

S-IVB Engine Mount

J-2S

Radially attached:

Saturn APU x2. If you want to be accurate in how they should be placed, should be on the Engine mount just above where it connects with the interstage, and they should be placed on the East/West sides of the tank.  

Saturn S-IV Ullage Motors x3 - Again for accurate placement, rotate the stack so you're facing the south facing side of the rocket ( so if you're looking at the west side, rotate to your right) and place in same spot as the Apu's in 3x symmetry.

Should look like this:

UcMcbnx.png

And that should also explain my reference to the compass directions.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Uhm, it does. A) they're canon in Eyes, and B) there's a single first stage engine. You can't get roll control with only one nozzle.

Idk if you've flown your own rockets but you get more than adequate roll control. 

That being said, i would be interested in seeing where exactly they go.  I actually can't find any info on it. 

3 minutes ago, G'th said:

Idk if you've flown your own rockets but you get more than adequate roll control. 

That being said, i would be interested in seeing where exactly they go.  I actually can't find any info on it. 

Reaction wheel torque is for wussies. :P

They don't have a canon placement, and weren't included in the art for ETS. However, people eventually pointed out that the single F-1A first stage would not allow for proper roll control, and that detail was retconned. I am considering maybe making a custom part for it...

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Reaction wheel torque is for wussies. :P

They don't have a canon placement, and weren't included in the art for ETS. However, people eventually pointed out that the single F-1A first stage would not allow for proper roll control, and that detail was retconned. I am considering maybe making a custom part for it...

Indeed.  Welp for clarities sake then I'd say they'd follow the same scheme as the other auxiliary units.  2 or 3x symmetry along the top edge of the engine mount. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/IR4a7

Also this is relevant to an earlier discussion.  Block II AARDV assembled with slightly modded parts from this mod. 

sd-01 radial engine pod with the h-1c liquid fueled engine

Not sure what you're launching with it (or if you're not in stock scale or something) but the regular launcher by itself can do quite a bit. 

j-2s or the sarnus hej2-550-s engine?

If i'm not mistaken they're the same thing.  But I use the real names versions so yeah.  Basically just looking for the regular J2, but the version that has better stats.

well, as they say..fire in the hole.....

ok, a tilting inland during first launch attempt, and then during pitch over at 6000 meters, uncontrolled tumble.....lets try this again.

....forgot the decoupler.

0.0  Why on earth would you wait until 6km up to start to pitch over.

Idk. May be I play this too seriously lmao

Also, here's what my launches look like with the Multibody variant.

At stock scales my S-IVB is always laden with fuel when I get to orbit. 

Edited by G'th

....then mr wizard here(thats me) assembled it wrong...

May haps you put it up side down? The separation motors should fire upwards and it should decouple properly if you do this.

17 minutes ago, Hay said:

HUxlHZu.png

I think it's supposed to look like this. You could try consulting BDB's manual.

I went with the S-IVC tank on the second stage as I want a little more fuel, I dont have to use it all and have installed the remote so I can deorbit the second stage safely on its own.

edit:
figured out why she wanted to nose over towards inland..I only had one communications dish on the mol in the lem bay.

you'd be surprised at what can throw off a launch stack's weight balance..

Edited by RaiderMan

S-IVC tank ended up being enough for a higher than expected orbit, thank you overpowered sarnus-he2j-550-s engines...went with a twin mount care of the s-ivc mounting plate, that and the twin mount looked cooler and gave me that roll control the two rocket scientists above me were going on about :P

the stock s-j2 was underpowered on the twin mount, so it became a case of overpowered or underpowered. I took the former option.

I omitted the LAS as thats weight I didnt deem worth while in bringing up.