[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, RaiderMan said:

is that light a separate part or is it modeled into the hatch?

1 hour ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Oooh that's now a nice part

30 minutes ago, Deltac said:

An integrated docking light?  NANI?!!!!

Indeed. Of course, it's complicated somewhat by the existing light (officially an EVA Floodlight) being internally labeled as "DockingLight" in all the files... But, it is nice, as it gives a sense of closure to comments I made last summer, re: wishing that there were more nice greebly parts to be made for Apollo, as I was jealous of all the neat Soyuz parts @Beale was finding - including, particularly, a light:

oVeeeSP.png

It also nicely jives with @RaiderMan commenting the other night that he misses the ahistoric Gemini lights from FASA. This should be similar size, I believe. :) I'm honestly really glad I stumbled onto the drawings where I spotted it. Anyone know of any other cute/useful little parts like that which I could include in the Apollo stuff and wouldn't be too much work to make? I have essentially a 1024 (ie, lower right corner of a 2048) texture sheet to play with... Doesn't even have to be real if you can justify it :wink:

2 minutes ago, Nittany Tiger said:

Yeah.  BDB is becoming huge.  I can't keep up with it, and I've barely had a chance to play with it.

What is this "becoming" nonsense? Can you not handle 400 new parts? :D

@CobaltWolf Very nice, indeed! certainly keeping up with those ruskies over yonder :wink: 

Was curious as to the aerodynamics of the Apollo Capsule in-game... As to the wiki: 

"The Command Module's center of mass was offset a foot or so from the center of pressure (along the symmetry axis). This provided a rotational moment during reentry, angling the capsule and providing some lift (a lift to drag ratio of about 0.368[7]). The capsule was then steered by rotating the capsule using thrusters; when no steering was required, the capsule was spun slowly, and the lift effects cancelled out. This system greatly reduced the g-force experienced by the astronauts, permitted a reasonable amount of directional control and allowed the capsule's splashdown point to be targeted within a few miles."

is or could this concept be sort of implemented? 

1 hour ago, Abrecan said:

@CobaltWolf Very nice, indeed! certainly keeping up with those ruskies over yonder :wink: 

Was curious as to the aerodynamics of the Apollo Capsule in-game... As to the wiki: 

"The Command Module's center of mass was offset a foot or so from the center of pressure (along the symmetry axis). This provided a rotational moment during reentry, angling the capsule and providing some lift (a lift to drag ratio of about 0.368[7]). The capsule was then steered by rotating the capsule using thrusters; when no steering was required, the capsule was spun slowly, and the lift effects cancelled out. This system greatly reduced the g-force experienced by the astronauts, permitted a reasonable amount of directional control and allowed the capsule's splashdown point to be targeted within a few miles."

is or could this concept be sort of implemented? 

Well, there are integrated RCS thrusters on the capsule.

6 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

Well, there are integrated RCS thrusters on the capsule.

I was referring to the aerodynamic lift the capsule can use to vary it's trajectory slightly. I wouldn't know if this was too much of a difference though

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I need new greebles. But, actually, my headcanon is that's where the diagnostic equipment plugs in :)

Personally I would love docking targets as an independent part.  I feel like it would work well with other mods, and could probably use the existing texture sheets.  

3 hours ago, Bjalfi said:

Personally I would love docking targets as an independent part.  I feel like it would work well with other mods, and could probably use the existing texture sheets.  

Like the ones on the Apollo mission modules and the Skylab MDA? Yeah I could do that :)

Can you make both of your Apollo docking ports to work with the Docking Camera mod? I am currently using the clampotron jr docking ports on the CSM and LEM cause I gotta have those docking cameras. Just looks too cool to use them.

50 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

Can you make both of your Apollo docking ports to work with the Docking Camera mod? I am currently using the clampotron jr docking ports on the CSM and LEM cause I gotta have those docking cameras. Just looks too cool to use them.

Which docking camera mod are you using? KURS works fine for me...

Edited by notJebKerman

That's the one I'm using. So you are saying it works with the Kane active and passive docking ports for Apollo CSM and LEM, having cameras on both ports? I didn't know that, I guess I just assumed  I needed to replace those with clamp-o-tron docking ports to have the cameras on both ports.

Edited by MikeO89

Got a cheat question here about fuel. I want to add  more fuel than stock allows to a couple of tanks (namely the CSM and LEM descent and ascent tanks). Any way for me to create these to go side by side in parts so I could choose which one I wanted for the days when I want to just goof off? Or just add the fuel to the stock ones? I'm lost on what I would need to edit.

Comments from a dedicated Apollo moon mission guy (I'm an old dude who still vividly remembers the Apollo days). Been using this a few days and want to comment on it compared to the FASA mod that's I've been using awhile.

First what this mod got better. The 3 animations of kerbal crew on bottom right definitely looks better. Brighter and shows Kerbals a little smaller making the view look more vivid.  Second stage stock engines have cool looking blue exhaust and sound very nice. Auto warping is smoother and more automatic.  LEM is much simpler to build though with some caveats. Parachutes are nice in that no parachute cover needs to be deployed. LES is better with a better much slower release (the FASA LES releases so violently that it looks like it wants to go to the moon by itself).

What the FASA mod got better (IMHO). Those F1 first stage engines just can't be beat for pure sound and exhaust. 3rd stage J2 engine has a better looking exhaust and sound than the stock 3rd stage engine for this mod. FASA's CSM engine is way better, a much fuller exhaust (don't use Real Plume as I just don't care much for the look) and sound (this mod's CSM engine's exhaust is way too tiny, looks like it's at 1/4 throttle exhaust wise when It's full throttle, just looks enemic even though the power is there). The separations (like when releasing third stage after LEM capture) is way slower and smoother. When this one separates, it's pretty jerky and unrealistic looking, sometimes sending the 3rd stage and pedal tumbling into space. Onto the LEM, no comparison. The FASA mod just got this spot on right in every way. Especially little things like legs extending slow and smooth. When the legs deploy on this one, it looks like a toy the way it opens (as does the antenna at the bottom of the CSM when it deploys). Both descent and ascent engines sound way better with a nice smooth exhaust where this one pulsates both in the exhaust and sound, that I don't much care for.  When the FASA LEM flys it's movements are slow smooth and deliberate. This one's movements are jerky and toy like. Nice touch on the way the Kerbals manually open and close the LEM door is pretty cool too.

Had a pretty strange glitch once on this mod too. Once when I had blasted off from the mun and flew up to dock with CSM, the front CM's RCS thrusters were stuck on.  Just sitting there not moving with thrusters full blast. It was weird and funny that it wasn't affecting the movement and I could still control the CSM thrusters separately. It stayed like that all the way home and even after splashdown. Dunno what was up with that, just hope it was a one time deal.

These are just one guy's subjective opinions (and you know the old saying, everyone's got one). I like both mods and flying Apollo missions with each one is a different experience so I'll continue to fly both (but after flying both, you'd have to pry the FASA mod out of my dead fingers). These opinions are also only for the Apollo missions as I've not done any others with this mod yet or the FASA mod either for that matter. I would think mod makers would want to see user experiences with their stuff so I'm just giving one (and it's only mine).

Edited by MikeO89