[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

These parts remind me of the differences between Estes tubes and Centuri tubes. While I loved Estes, I came to appreciate the additional sizes offered by "the other guy". These BDDB parts give me that same W&F feeling...

Thanks, CobaltWolf!

Just now, BARCLONE said:

These parts remind me of the differences between Estes tubes and Centuri tubes. While I loved Estes, I came to appreciate the additional sizes offered by "the other guy". These BDDB parts give me that same W&F feeling...

Thanks, CobaltWolf!

Sorry to say, but I'm not sure I follow..? :D

Model Rocketry, CW. The smell of black powder and talc on the parachutes. Estes and Centuri were the #1 and #2 kit companies in the 1960's and '70s, and when I got back into MR around 2003 or so, I got serious about designing my own birds. Built quite a few of them, too. It's another reason I love KSP, and BDDB parts have that same "feel" to them as I had building real flying stuff.

1 hour ago, BARCLONE said:

Model Rocketry, CW. The smell of black powder and talc on the parachutes. Estes and Centuri were the #1 and #2 kit companies in the 1960's and '70s, and when I got back into MR around 2003 or so, I got serious about designing my own birds. Built quite a few of them, too. It's another reason I love KSP, and BDDB parts have that same "feel" to them as I had building real flying stuff.

And of course, if you could afford it, buying parts packs from both Centuri and Estes gave you the best of both worlds.  Mix and match tube brands for those scale scratch-builds that wouldn't scale properly with either one or the other.

Too bad Centuri isn't around anymore, although some of their stuff lives on through Estes (the "new" Estes Saturn V used Centuri's vacuformed body wraps and injection-molded CM/LES, IIRC).  Centuri had some great designs, like the X-24 Bug (an actual lifting-body design that glided back), and (I can't recall the name) a "space shuttle" where both the booster and shuttle glided back.

Centuri's Little Joe II was MUCH nicer than the Estes version, although the Estes version was more fun/challenging to build, since you had to build the LES tower from wood dowels.  It inspired me, once I got into High Power Rocketry, to make this (using wood dowels to make the tower :D ):

Unfortunately, it never flew, and is gone now.  Note the small Pershing 1A on the table, between the two trophies.  I won first (LJII) and third (Pershing) place for both of these at an RC aircraft show that also had categories for rocketry.   Both were scratch-built. 

Also in the same post, note the Delta II.  The booster tubes were Estes BT-50s slit lengthwise and enlarged slightly to get the right scale (went the other way for the payload section/fairing - started with three inch tubing and reduced it slightly for the correct scale - 1:36.5).  The main pic, the upper right pic, and the center launch pic are from the second prototype.  The lower right image is the first, and if you look carefully, you can see that only the main motor (a D12-5), and four of the nine A10-0Ts lit.  The four boosters that lit were on one side only, but because I also had the ten degree outboard cant of the motors, the rocket still flew straight up, although it crabbed slightly, as one would expect.  Had the main motor been a D12-3, it would have survived the flight intact, but the longer delay caused it to lawn dart, requiring a rebuild.  The fins were clear plastic and covered with masking tape for later painting (National Association of Rocketry scale competition rules ignore clear fins on scale models of rockets that don't have fins).  Never did finish the model completely, but the second flight (the one with all ten motors firing) was successful in all aspects - boosters separated nicely, six A10-0T boosters came off first, then the remaining three A10-2T boosters came off two seconds later.  The rest of the rocket continued nicely to about 700 feet (altimeter in the "payload" bay), and recovered on a 36" nylon parachute.

On-topic: @BARCLONE's right - this mod DOES give the feel of Estes and Centuri model rockets, especially their scale kits, as well as KSP in general.

Edited by MaxxQ

hey @CobaltWolf i don't know if this is the right place to put this but Ive been having some trouble with the mod for the 1.3.1 version x86 English windows 

its been causing some access violation in the game itself and the mono.dll @ 0023:100704db and it seems to be just your mod and i thought it might have some conflicts with the chaka monkey mod but i removed it and still nothing and it only does it when its done loading the game. anyway just tell me if you need the full log

10 hours ago, alpha tech said:

hey @CobaltWolf i don't know if this is the right place to put this but Ive been having some trouble with the mod for the 1.3.1 version x86 English windows 

its been causing some access violation in the game itself and the mono.dll @ 0023:100704db and it seems to be just your mod and i thought it might have some conflicts with the chaka monkey mod but i removed it and still nothing and it only does it when its done loading the game. anyway just tell me if you need the full log

You are running the old version. Most plugins for 1.3.0 do not work with 1.3.1. The mod was updated yesterday afternoon - grab the latest version.

4 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Does anyone know how I can make an EASEP in KSP with the SEP mod?

KIS Ground Base (the flat dark grey structural piece) -> SEP Seismometer + Comm 16 (that long deployable one from stock, name escapes me) -> two SEP solar panels on the side. 

This will replicate the look and should replicate the function too, though I'm unsure if you'd still need to have the SEP Station in place to run the experiment.

Edited by G'th

can someone tel me what's going on? i checked if there was a stray plugin for boiloff, but every time i pick a fuel tank (no matter witch) i get this

Spoiler

[Part bluedog.ablestarTank] [ModuleB9PartSwitch 'fuelSwitch'] Switched subtype to LF/O
[EXC 22:37:53.085] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    BDB.ModuleBdbBoiloff.UpdatePreLaunch ()
    BDB.ModuleBdbBoiloff.Start ()

i even disabled Boiloff in the settings to no effect, anything else i can do?

P.S

i tried adding cryo tanks as it has simpleboiloff plugin thinking that;s causing the problem, but nope same problem

as far as i can tell i have all the latest versions for 1.3.1

3 minutes ago, dtoxic said:

can someone tel me what's going on? i checked if there was a stray plugin for boiloff, but every time i pick a fuel tank (no matter witch) i get this

Hide contents

[Part bluedog.ablestarTank] [ModuleB9PartSwitch 'fuelSwitch'] Switched subtype to LF/O
[EXC 22:37:53.085] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    BDB.ModuleBdbBoiloff.UpdatePreLaunch ()
    BDB.ModuleBdbBoiloff.Start ()

i even disabled Boiloff in the settings to no effect, anything else i can do?

P.S

i tried adding cryo tanks as it has simpleboiloff plugin thinking that;s causing the problem, but nope same problem

as far as i can tell i have all the latest versions for 1.3.1

@Jso halp!

@Rory Yammomoto working on getting the remaining ion stuff in game tonight. Today I got Pioneer 6 in game. I promise, promise, promise I'm going back and finishing cleaning up the Atlas and Centaur stuff for a release now. No more procrastinating. I hope. Maybe. In the meantime...

AwJ4V2A.pnggKnfU8T.png

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Jso halp!

@Rory Yammomoto working on getting the remaining ion stuff in game tonight. Today I got Pioneer 6 in game. I promise, promise, promise I'm going back and finishing cleaning up the Atlas and Centaur stuff for a release now. No more procrastinating. I hope. Maybe. In the meantime...

jaw drops :o!!

Are you going to update Atlas V as well? Add the AJ-60A? New RL-10 Textures? New Centaur V? Is global warming a real threat? How much vodka in my screwdriver?

On 16.10.2017 at 3:00 AM, CobaltWolf said:

uh uh uh LOOK PIONEER 6!!!

OyYJkYN.png

Was the length and diameter interchanged during the reconstruction of the Pioneer 6 probe? Actually, the diameter should be 94 cm (~ 37 inches) and the length of the cylindrical body should be 81 cm (~ 32 inches).