[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

5 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

yeah, those were Airforce blue and olive drab, but they practically sucks; now, be a good lad and share the hex code for those shades will ya?

I don't know, I just did it with some adjustment layers to get the idea across :P

15 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh wow, I forgot I never did that one. Yeah I'll probably get to it at some point.

Awesome

12 hours ago, Drakenex said:

A FASA classic!! yup, I'll do it.

Awesome, now all we need is red and blue flashing lights lol.

Here's a few other suggestions I came up with:
Police Blue
Police Black and White
Fire Truck Red

21 hours ago, Drakenex said:

A FASA classic!! yup, I'll do it.

Reminds me, I wanted to do the other extra Gemini parts from FASA (the ahistorical stuff like the little legs and dish) some day...

8 hours ago, Elon Kerman Jr said:

@CobaltWolfAre you able to make a Apollo- Soyuz test project docking thing that works with tantares

I believe me and @Beale spoke about it once and decided it was his problem :P

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@CobaltWolf In the future, do you think you will add the Saturn V concept evolutions?

Most notably the stretched First Stage and the stretched Third Stage?

I have always intended on expanding the Saturn related parts, so 'yes'. For some reason I keep getting diverted off of doing more Apollo and Saturn stuff - I think it's a semi-conscious thought that says the ahistorical Apollo/Saturn stuff is the 'end goal' of both the mod development and the in game tech tree, meaning I want to get everything else done first. Now, that's not actually how it has to work since I can (and indeed do) jump around and work on whatever.

In reference to your specific requests, there already is a stretched 3rd stage tank (or rather, an additional shorter tank to add to the existing tank's length) that was included in the last release of the mod. Creating stretched variants of the S-1C and S-II is harder. I basically modeled/textured myself into a hole with them. Because they have the ribbed intertanks at the top and bottom of the part, it would look very weird if an extension tank was just stuck on top. Does anyone have feelings on that or ideas for a solution?

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

-snip-

I basically modeled/textured myself into a hole with them. Because they have the ribbed intertanks at the top and bottom of the part, it would look very weird if an extension tank was just stuck on top. Does anyone have feelings on that or ideas for a solution?

There's the option of texture switching or pulling an RD and having no ribbing or simply making an entirely new part (i.e normal S-IC, then a stretched S-IC) similar to the patch in 'Bluedog_DB_Extras' but without a distorted texture (smooth extension on top of an S-IC w/o ribbing).

14 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@CobaltWolf In the future, do you think you will add the Saturn V concept evolutions? 

Most notably the stretched First Stage and the stretched Third Stage?

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

In reference to your specific requests, there already is a stretched 3rd stage tank (or rather, an additional shorter tank to add to the existing tank's length) that was included in the last release of the mod. Creating stretched variants of the S-1C and S-II is harder. I basically modeled/textured myself into a hole with them. Because they have the ribbed intertanks at the top and bottom of the part, it would look very weird if an extension tank was just stuck on top. Does anyone have feelings on that or ideas for a solution? 

260" Solids are already in game with Bespoke models.

120" Solids are likewise but don't scale nicely (I think the Extras folder has a rescale of the UA-120x family but I don't care if the SRMs are too short and too fat for Saturn.   It is not like I put more than 5 of them on a Saturn II Rocket after all :)

The tanks I re-scaled for MLV/INT are in BDB Extras under Pafftek as well.  You can see what Cobalt is talking about with how the ribs don't look "Right."   It is especially bad on the S-IC-FB that is SHORTER (same fuel as standard S-IC but shared wall 'tween the tanks.)  

I also edited the S-IC engine mount to allow placement of 2, 3, 4 or 5 F-1 engines to cater to some of the other Saturn Combos.    The only thing I didn't do re the engine mount was attempt to allow it to work ala S-ID. (Default BDB operation is 4 or 5 engines only.)

RE the non-bespoke models the worst looking is the S-IA/S-IB tank stretch for INT-11/12/13/14/15 (I think that is all of them)    I choose the 20' tank stretch to match UA-1207 SRMs... vice the 10' tank stretch.  It looks..... Ummm  funny.  Lets leave it at that and just move along :)  

Now obviously when Cobaltwolf gets to making replacement parts, be it tomorrow or 20 years from now,... well then these parts will be obsolete.  cause many of them are just ugly with all the stretches and shrinking going on.

@GoldForest   The picture you posted is actually pretty inaccurate to the proposed rockets.   One thing never pictured but always required....  The AJ-260s need a fuel tank on top that feeds into the MS-IC stage.   That is not shown in any picture but mentioned at length in supporting documents.     The S-IVC tank extension is ALMOST perfect height (just use B9PartSwitch to toggle it to LFO) for adding on to the AJ-260s.    Also the AJ-260s would have attached at the Interstage between MS-I/MS-II and to the bottom of the Engine mount for MS-I.    An Ogive nose cone (not a straight cone) etc etc etc.

26 minutes ago, space_powder said:

Saturn V is already a tad bit overpowered for stock, C-8 Nova would blow it out of the water tbh
But yes that would be awesome, could probably help me with Eve missions

BDB isn't balanced for stock, it's balanced for 2.5x. (Which is also what stock is actually balanced for, because stock is overpowered for stock.)

2 hours ago, wallum61 said:

Are there any plans for the C-8 Nova?

If I remember correctly, a few thread pages back there was a discussion about Nova. It basically came to the conclusion that there was no 'standard' Nova design, and that it would be OP (as mentioned right above).

2 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

If I remember correctly, a few thread pages back there was a discussion about Nova. It basically came to the conclusion that there was no 'standard' Nova design, and that it would be OP (as mentioned right above).

I would add that Not only was NOVA never standardized but after ABMA was moved to NACA/NASA in 1959 it was Dead to everyone outside of ABMA.   At best NOVA was a way for ABMA to say they had plans for beyond the Moon.    Micloud was built specifically big enough for the Saturn S-IC stage....   And not designed to make a bigger Diameter tank....longer IS possible there but not by a huge amount.     Transportation of said larger Diameter tank becomes quickly cost-in-effective etc.. etc ... etc...

I don't want to spend a bunch of time distracting the thread but there is NO WAY NOVA would have EVER been built as an ACTUAL Rocket....short of in an alternate Timeline that starts in circa 1956 or earlier.    Build parts to test ideas sure... Build a whole Rocket... NOPE.  Your best Bet for the "Nova" experience is Saturn MLV family.  ALL of those are Physically possible with the Manufacturing technology BUILT for Saturn V.   The Only thing that would need a change would be if you wanted to make a S-IVC like in Eyes Turned Skyward.    You would need an aircraft bigger than the Guppy to carry a single tank.....   Or final assembly (upper tank, lower tank/engine) could be done in a facility at the Cape.    Obviously minor (in comparison to even a Nova C-6) changes to the VAB/Crawler/Pad would be needed for the SRMs and the IGW of the Rocket itself.)

What setting do I need to adjust to slow the parachute descent of the 3 parachutes for the Apollo CM a little bit? It's a little fast for land landings, sometimes exploding on impact (even though it doesn't destroy the CM).

Edited by MikeO89