[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 9/30/2018 at 11:46 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Another stream, another part... The Peacekeeper Stage 4 / Post Boost Vehicle! These were actually studied for use in civilian space missions after the Peacekeepers were decommissioned, but most wound up getting destroyed. It's a neat little stage, with both an integrated monoprop RCS system for full attitude control, and a small LFO engine for correcting your orbit - or just giving your rocket a little more oomph after SRB burnout.

*double picsnip*

*drools*

lhjhbB9.gif

Pls? :D 

Edited by MaverickSawyer

On 10/6/2015 at 8:31 PM, CobaltWolf said:

WkJNhn7.png

It's amazing how far this mod has come since your first update. Congratulations on three years of hard work! It has definitely been worth it watching this mod grow in both size and quality! 

20 hours ago, Tyko said:

Blown away! fricking fantastic work :) 

Thank you!

11 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

*drools*

Pls? :D 

Soon enough!

9 hours ago, Jall said:

It's amazing how far this mod has come since your first update. Congratulations on three years of hard work! It has definitely been worth it watching this mod grow in both size and quality! 

Holy smokes the three year anniversary came and went without me noticing! Wow!

6 hours ago, hraban said:

Concerning the size of the mod, the question arises when it will finally be divided into compatible canapés. At the moment it is a memory Moloch.

The parts are divided up into folders for easy pruning, past that something like Janitor's Closet helps :)

36 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

The parts are divided up into folders for easy pruning, past that something like Janitor's Closet helps :)

'Janitor Closet' does not prevent me from loading unwanted and superfluous parts into memory. It would be desirable if the components could be separated from each other in more detail. I already know how to get rid of the unwanted parts, but for many users it is incomprehensible and risky to make the mod unusable.

22 minutes ago, hraban said:

'Janitor Closet' does not prevent me from loading unwanted and superfluous parts into memory. It would be desirable if the components could be separated from each other in more detail. I already know how to get rid of the unwanted parts, but for many users it is incomprehensible and risky to make the mod unusable.

I thought so too, but I checked the Janitors Closet thread and found out it can prevent parts from loading and save memory. :)

Description This mod will allow you to block parts from being displayed in the Editor, either on a soft basis or hard basis. The difference is that a soft basis doesn't do anything to the parts, it merely blocks the parts from being displayed. In this case, the parts are still loaded. This would be useful in an ongoing career, where you have ships with parts you don't use anymore, but are still active. A hard basis is where the files get renamed so that none of the parts or their assets will be loaded. This can speed up loading a game, but is potentially game-breaking, in that if you prune a part and it is in use on a vessel, the vessel will be deleted the next time you start the game. There is also the ability to export a list of all blocked parts, so that you can either import it into another game or send it to someone else.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I thought so too, but I checked the Janitors Closet thread and found out it can prevent parts from loading and save memory. :)

If a storage space problem already exists, another mod cannot be loaded and thus no exclusion of parts can be carried out with the "Janitor Closet" tool.

I would like to have a clear statement whether there will be a theme-based division of your mod into smaller, more compatible bites in the near future, nothing more and nothing less.

Thank you!

24 minutes ago, hraban said:

I would like to have a clear statement whether there will be a theme-based division of your mod into smaller, more compatible bites in the near future, nothing more and nothing less.

Thank you!

It will not.

Since it obviously makes sense, splitting it has been looked at more often than it's been requested over the past few years. No two people have ever agreed even generally on how to split things up.

2 hours ago, Jso said:

It will not.

Since it obviously makes sense, splitting it has been looked at more often than it's been requested over the past few years. No two people have ever agreed even generally on how to split things up.

Ok so I say this in jest... it has already been split by the N number 1.  :)

In all seriousness I see both sides of this.  My Surface tablet strains under the STOCK game alone...   But my  desktop is currently running something like 85 mods.  Many of them part mods (Yay Cheap ram and x64!)  

In the end I believe that the Creator of the Mods will determin what is right for them.   Hraban, you have split your mods up one way.  And that is great.  Cobaltwolf has chosen to do his a different way... That is also great.   Yay freedom of choice!

14 hours ago, Jso said:

It will not.

Well, too many cooks spoil the porridge. ;)

11 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Ok so I say this in jest... it has already been split by the N number 1.  :)

In all seriousness I see both sides of this.  My Surface tablet strains under the STOCK game alone...   But my  desktop is currently running something like 85 mods.  Many of them part mods (Yay Cheap ram and x64!)  

In the end I believe that the Creator of the Mods will determin what is right for them.   Hraban, you have split your mods up one way.  And that is great.  Cobaltwolf has chosen to do his a different way... That is also great.   Yay freedom of choice!

Well written, but what does the Cuddlewolpertinger (CobaltWolf) say? :D

33 minutes ago, hraban said:

Well written, but what does the Cuddlewolpertinger (CobaltWolf) say? :D

15 hours ago, Jso said:

It will not.

@Jso is the co author of this mod, so he speaks for both of us when I'm not around. :) No plans for it... I look into it every couple of months or so and there just isn't a convincing reason. Like Jso said everyone wants a different chunk of the mod so from my point of view, it's easier to just let them decide.

A preview of things to come...

The Athena Orbital Assist Module forms the top of the Athena Common Core vehicle. All Athena configurations - including the proposals that started with a shuttle SRB segment! - used one of these stages. It uses 4 MR-107s for prograde velocity adjustment, and has 6 smaller RCS thrusters for full attitude control. Shown here with the Athena stack and the Peacekeeper PBV for scale. My plan is to try and get things together so they're ready to get put in game come stream-time this Sunday morning. :)

xgsEIyK.pngXZ1CWSw.png

Another sneak peak... PIBS er, HAPS! It will be much smaller this time - 0.625m bottom instead of 0.9375m. It uses 3 MR-107s, the same thruster used for the Athena OAM. Turns out the real HAPS doesn't have any attitude control, at least none that I could find. It does, however, occasionally fly with a full cylindrical shroud over it, represented by the leftmost variant. It's going to be useful for getting the last hundred delta V or so and getting your satellites into much more precise orbits. :) This part is fully UV unwrapped but I haven't started texturing it yet.

MHheaVi.png

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

A preview of things to come...

The Athena Orbital Assist Module forms the top of the Athena Common Core vehicle. All Athena configurations - including the proposals that started with a shuttle SRB segment! - used one of these stages. It uses 4 MR-107s for prograde velocity adjustment, and has 6 smaller RCS thrusters for full attitude control. Shown here with the Athena stack and the Peacekeeper PBV for scale. My plan is to try and get things together so they're ready to get put in game come stream-time this Sunday morning. :)

xgsEIyK.pngXZ1CWSw.png

Another sneak peak... PIBS er, HAPS! It will be much smaller this time - 0.625m bottom instead of 0.9375m. It uses 3 MR-107s, the same thruster used for the Athena OAM. Turns out the real HAPS doesn't have any attitude control, at least none that I could find. It does, however, occasionally fly with a full cylindrical shroud over it, represented by the leftmost variant. It's going to be useful for getting the last hundred delta V or so and getting your satellites into much more precise orbits. :) This part is fully UV unwrapped but I haven't started texturing it yet.

MHheaVi.png

Damn these parts look good :)I had been using the super HAPS as my Athena OAM not realising you had plans to make an actual OAM. Good luck, I am loving the new parts that I already have in game

7 hours ago, dbandy13 said:

Damn these parts look good :)I had been using the super HAPS as my Athena OAM not realising you had plans to make an actual OAM. Good luck, I am loving the new parts that I already have in game

Thank you!

Yeah, I don't think I actually even understood that the Athena 2 had an OAM, or maybe just assumed it was Super HAPS... I didn't do a lot of research back in the day. :) That's partially why these new parts are taking so long - I have been doing frankly exhausting research on them. For the OAM I had to go as far as finding the actual patent for it to understand how it goes together. These commercial LVs are a real pain to do research on due to a lack of sources, so I cling on to every photo and PDF I can find.

Great mod! It's perfect for historical rocket fans just like me,it also adds older and not very popular launchers like the Diamant so W O W

Just an O.T. question:

@CobaltWolf,the manual's font and the mod's name both suggest that you may have taken inspiration from the notorious beer brand BrewDog
Craft beer and craft files,huh?

2 hours ago, GrTaiyaki said:

Great mod! It's perfect for historical rocket fans just like me,it also adds older and not very popular launchers like the Diamant so W O W

Just an O.T. question:

@CobaltWolf,the manual's font and the mod's name both suggest that you may have taken inspiration from the notorious beer brand BrewDog
Craft beer and craft files,huh?

Thank you! Working on even more obscure launchers now - at least most French space enthusiasts know of Diamant!

I don't know if I've ever heard of it, but I do love me some beer. The mod's name is because @Beale was already portraying Russian parts as American corporations, so I wanted to portray American parts as if they were made by a Soviet design bureau. And then the 'Bluedog' comes from my handle :)

Alright, my SO is out of the apartment for the day, so I decided I'm going to do a development stream, starting in about 15 minutes on Twitch! I will still be streaming tomorrow morning from roughly 8 AM to 3 PM Eastern.

As a preview, something I finished whipping up last night: HAPS! the base is 0.625m, whadda cute lil man!

M04JGuA.pngxgezRjy.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

A couple choice pics from the stream. This stuff isn't on Github yet, I'm trying to get the HAPS and Super HAPS in game and take care of some balancing stuff first :) Even if I can't get the HAPS stuff done I'll make sure the stuff that I got together today is uploaded. Right now there are 5 new parts in game - I'm shooting for 7!

ac5cQfa.pngrV3LXH6.png9cg7vt2.pngcPscL9R.pngKysRF4o.pnggvZZLwb.png

12 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

A couple choice pics from the stream. This stuff isn't on Github yet, I'm trying to get the HAPS and Super HAPS in game and take care of some balancing stuff first :) Even if I can't get the HAPS stuff done I'll make sure the stuff that I got together today is uploaded. Right now there are 5 new parts in game - I'm shooting for 7!

What an experience seeing you work your magic!

Edited by Drakenex

Unfortunately, the time after the stream ended became very busy and I lost my computer for the evening (I need to build my GF a desktop lol...) Anyways, I uploaded the 5 parts I did complete, they need a balance pass but they sure do look nice. :) If you want to play with them, they are up on Github.

Hey y'all! Got some fixes I just uploaded, but it's late here so I don't have a chance to test them! Figured I might be able to rustle up someone to see if I knew what I was doing! Fixes are:

• Improved LEM ladder colliders - should be easier to climb up and down, and get in and out of the LEM! Reports say Kerbals still slide on th ladder, but its much easier to get in / out and climb up / down.
  • Saturn S-II Interstage (and engine mount) colliders fixed, hopefully there will be no collisions and the ullage motors fit flush to the interstage! I actually just broke everything so I'll need to try again tonight.
  • Atlas (silver/gray, not Atlas V) specular fix and fixed UVs on the sustainer tank's top endcap. Better but not as much as I hoped
  • Also, I tried to implement RealPlume for all these new solid parts, especially Peacekeeper and the Scout. I don't know if any of them are working.

If anyone feels like verifying these fixes it would be most appreciated! :)

EDIT: Strikethrough'd items have been tested. :)

Edited by CobaltWolf

Played around with the design of the LDC Titan first stage engine mount... anyone have thoughts / feelings on these rough models? Those are E-1s in the bays, it will obviously also work with LR-87s. Left is scaled for an F-1. I want to try and integrate that reddish clay color from the Titan IV engine cowling into these, though maybe more as an accent color. The left has kind of a Titan-1 influence, the others Titan IV along with a little H-2B, at least once they're greebled/textured. These would all be one part with B9 nodes, similar to NFLV. As a reminder, I want to try and bridge the visual languages of the Titan and Saturn families with these parts... on that note, I could see at least the single-mount becoming more Saturn-1-like.

ZkxlaBW.png

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Played around with the design of the LDC Titan first stage engine mount... anyone have thoughts / feelings on these rough models? Those are E-1s in the bays, it will obviously also work with LR-87s. Left is scaled for an F-1. I want to try and integrate that reddish clay color from the Titan IV engine cowling into these, though maybe more as an accent color. The left has kind of a Titan-1 influence, the others Titan IV along with a little H-2B, at least once they're greebled/textured. These would all be one part with B9 nodes, similar to NFLV. As a reminder, I want to try and bridge the visual languages of the Titan and Saturn families with these parts... on that note, I could see at least the single-mount becoming more Saturn-1-like.

ZkxlaBW.png

@CobaltWolf you must be psychic or something, I was wanting to ask about how you could do LDC with BDB parts! Yes to all of the multimounts, they look good already, but I'd second the point from @debaker02, wouldn't the F1 look a bit big on this? What would the in game diameter be of LDC?