[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

7 minutes ago, debaker02 said:

I am not a big fan on the three engine mount.  The angles somehow seem too sharp?  I love the rest. Will the f1 look too big?

2 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

@CobaltWolf you must be psychic or something, I was wanting to ask about how you could do LDC with BDB parts! Yes to all of the multimounts, they look good already, but I'd second the point from @debaker02, wouldn't the F1 look a bit big on this? What would the in game diameter be of LDC? 

I've gotten generally negative feedback on the 3 engine mount so I'll either rethink it or cut it entirely (leaning towards the second honestly).

The LDC tanks, 2nd stage engine mount, and interstage are actually all up on Github already and have been since February-March or so. I just got really bad artists block on the first stage engine mount which made me set the project aside. Several people have asked again lately and I wanted to take another whack at it.

The single engine mount is meant to be used in a single F-1 configuration. All the others are meant to use LR-87s (which, while not immediately, is getting revamped) or E-1s (also up on the Github for some time). Pics of the current LDC parts in action here:

By the way, I asked what it would look like if someone used the LDC 2nd stage in place of the S-IV on Saturn 1, I still haven't seen that... ;)

20 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hey y'all! Got some fixes I just uploaded, but it's late here so I don't have a chance to test them!

-snip-

• Also, I tried to implement RealPlume for all these new solid parts, especially Peacekeeper and the Scout. I don't know if any of them are working.

If anyone feels like verifying these fixes it would be most appreciated! :)

I have tested with RealPlume and all the solids seem to be working great! The OAM seems very wrong however. There seems to be large effects at starting at the top of the part. That is the only problem I found though :)

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

-snip-

By the way, I asked what it would look like if someone used the LDC 2nd stage in place of the S-IV on Saturn 1, I still haven't seen that... ;)

Ask and ye shall receive! ;)

SNaIdr0.jpg

Full Album
https://imgur.com/a/rqCAeQC

LDC Titan F-1A 1st stage with a S-IV upper is cool too :P

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

7 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

I have tested with RealPlume and all the solids seem to be working great! The OAM seems very wrong however. There seems to be large effects at starting at the top of the part. That is the only problem I found though

It looks like the stock effect ontop of the RealPlume effect. I think the ModuleEnginesFX combined with the ModuleRCSFX might be screwing it up. Other parts like this (Agena D) use ModuleEngines + ModuleRCSFX without issue. @CobaltWolf maybe we can change this and see what happens.

10 hours ago, Drakenex said:

Love them all Mr Wolfie, including the 3 engine cluster.

Thanks for pointing out the LDC Titan mistake!

Very cool! Makes me want to finish the engine mount! And redo the Titan SRBs....

6 hours ago, Jso said:

It looks like the stock effect ontop of the RealPlume effect. I think the ModuleEnginesFX combined with the ModuleRCSFX might be screwing it up. Other parts like this (Agena D) use ModuleEngines + ModuleRCSFX without issue. @CobaltWolf maybe we can change this and see what happens.

Hmm, maybe. I just kind of threw them together based on old ones and haven't had a chance to test them all. I'm sure there's more stuff that needs it (if anyone feels like doing RealPlume stuff hit me up)

54 minutes ago, Jall said:

Just in case its slipped your mind @CobaltWolf , the S-II engine mount has an untextured part to it now that I'm assuming you're in the process of revamping at some point?

He fixed that last night.

23 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

The OAM seems very wrong however.

Also fixed now.

Just a small question about Titan 1.

The suggested build (using the manual on Docdroid) has a sea level TWR of 1.07,which seems quite low to me. I've just checked the real missile, and it had a TWR of 1.25, so have I done something wrong, or is the engine a little underrated? 

40 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

The suggested build (using the manual on Docdroid) has a sea level TWR of 1.07,which seems quite low to me. I've just checked the real missile, and it had a TWR of 1.25, so have I done something wrong, or is the engine a little underrated? 

The engine is correct, it's the tanks that are too big. Take some fuel out of it. It's a known issue.

14 hours ago, Jall said:

Just in case its slipped your mind @CobaltWolf , the S-II engine mount has an untextured part to it now that I'm assuming you're in the process of revamping at some point?

13 hours ago, Jso said:

He fixed that last night.

12 hours ago, Jall said:

Odd, I downloaded the newest version today and it didn't have a full texture.

Hmm, can anyone confirm? There are two S-II engine mounts now (by the way, we can combine them into a single part using B9PS if people would like me to do that?) so I might have missed one.

9 hours ago, HooHungLow said:

@CobaltWolf Stunning! Keep up the great work. 

Thank you! :)

3 hours ago, MinimumSky5 said:

2 hours ago, Jso said:

The engine is correct, it's the tanks that are too big. Take some fuel out of it. It's a known issue.

Yeah, which stinks since I really like the first stage tank... But yeah, the standards of my research back then were far more, erm, lax... I would like to redo Titan (at some distant point in the future) and if so that sort of stuff will be fixed. :)

Oh, forgot to share - the Star-37FMV got UV unwrapped last night. Me and @Jso agreed that we should only include the vectoring version, partially for part bloat and partially because the gyroscopic effect that helps spin stabilized stuff stay on course isn't represented in KSP. I will probably be able to get it and the Star-48BV in game this Sunday. :)

FWJCnZZ.png

15 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh, forgot to share - the Star-37FMV got UV unwrapped last night. Me and @Jso agreed that we should only include the vectoring version, partially for part bloat and partially because the gyroscopic effect that helps spin stabilized stuff stay on course isn't represented in KSP. I will probably be able to get it and the Star-48BV in game this Sunday. :)

Ha! We were both just literally working on versions of essentially the same part (I did 37E) :D. I even modeled some of the gimbal bits for later use as the FMV version. lol

On 10/13/2018 at 1:18 AM, akron said:

Ha! We were both just literally working on versions of essentially the same part (I did 37E) :D. I even modeled some of the gimbal bits for later use as the FMV version. lol

I looked at yours - your interstage is way nicer than mine! I'll have to figure out a way to make mine cooler...

Which will be happening very soon since I'm booting the stream back up on Twitch! Sorting through some bugs real quick then I'm going to be working on the Star-37/48! Or the Castor 30XL... haven't decided yet, might be nice to be done with the Peacekeeper texture sheet. :)

Alrighty, follow up post from the stream. Yesterday I squashed some bugs and made some fixes to things:

• The Venus Flyby Module shouldn't throw errors anymore - the animation wasn't named right in the cfg.
  • The Atlas 1 (Bossart) rocket has a new paint job, part of the ongoing effort to improve the finish and feel of the rocket since it was released only about 90% finished. The speculars and normals should be better now, along with some white painted accents, to match the real-life satellite launch vehicle variants. Please let me know what you think, there will probably be at least one more round of adjustments. See below for a pic, though I believe it was a work in progress and changed a bit more before I was done.
  • The SR-120 SRB now has the same raceway as the other Peacekeeper parts.
  • The Castor-30 SRB should have a better, more detailed finish now, which hopefully helps compensate for how bare the main case body is.

rUOdMZr.png

Additionally, two new parts made it in game! First, the Castor-30XL:

9N9pS5b.pngc18o95t.jpg

(Note that there are no canon launch vehicles for the 30XL in BDB... and no, I'm not going to make Antares :P )

Secondly, the STAR-37 made it in game. As I said before, we decided to only make the 'V' (vectoring) versions of the STAR-37/48 since KSP doesn't model gyroscopic stabilization. On that note, does anybody think they'll ever use the 'basic' Antares over the one with the RCS? If not we might as well remove it before release to spare people the part bloat. I have another part I might use the texture space for anyways. Pictured here is the STAR-48 on the left (not in game yet, though as you can see its close) and the STAR-37 on the right.

lKsVKuB.png

44 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

does anybody think they'll ever use the 'basic' Antares over the one with the RCS?

Isn't that for general under the fairing use rather than inline like on scout? I say keep it.

Do you have room left on the texture sheet for the Minotaur GCA? After playing with Minotaur 5 I think it would be useful. It gets a little tall with everything stacked on top of the PBV.

1 hour ago, Jso said:

Isn't that for general under the fairing use rather than inline like on scout? I say keep it.

Do you have room left on the texture sheet for the Minotaur GCA? After playing with Minotaur 5 I think it would be useful. It gets a little tall with everything stacked on top of the PBV.

I think so! I wound up with more room left than expected after the 30XL was done, and I don't have anything else planned for that sheet... We'll have to do a bit more research to figure out what it should be. I was picturing sort of a pancake with RCS jets on the side, but apparently that's not the case... would it have a control core in it? We wound up removing them from the OAM and PBV. Part of me also wants to make a set of payload adapters and satellite separators since I've seen a lot of them in the users guide for these rockets.

It's worth noting that, upon looking at the diagrams a bit closer, I don't understand where the attitude control for the GCA comes from. It says that they are mounted on the GCA skirt (the outer structure in the bottom pic)

Yc3CqAA.png

ZPD0C4g.png

Well, I have some suggestions for this mod.

A while back I made a patch for ATK Propulsion Pack to add thrust Curves closer to the real ones. You can use them for star-37 and star-48 if you want. :)  Or any other SRB that was in that patch.

0qSg7QI.png
The image show the Star-37FM thrust profile provided by Orbital ATK and the equivalent thrustCurve calculated.
@CobaltWolf, feel free to use these patches for you Star-37/48.

Spoiler

For the Star-37

// Thrust profile provided by orbital ATK.
//thrustCurve calculated by forum user MarceloSilveira

@PART[bluedog*,Bluedog*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#ThrustCurvePrefab[real_STAR37]]]:FOR[zzBluedog_DB]
{
	@description ^= :$: Thrust curve calculated based on the thrust profile provided by orbital ATK.:
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#ThrustCurvePrefab[real_STAR37]]
	{
		!ThrustCurvePrefab = delete
		!thrustCurve {}
		%useThrustCurve = true
		thrustCurve
		{
			key = 	1	0.7388
			key = 	0.9998	0.8497
			key = 	0.9421	0.9697
			key = 	0.7334	1.1383
			key = 	0.6898	1.0621
			key = 	0.5869	1.0159
			key = 	0.2741	1.0898
			key = 	0.061	1.0621
			key = 	0.0059	1
			key = 	0	0.0046
		}
	}
}

aaaaaaaaand for the Star-48

// Thrust profile provided by orbital ATK.
//thrustCurve calculated by forum user MarceloSilveira

@PART[bluedog*,Bluedog*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#ThrustCurvePrefab[real_STAR48]]]:FOR[zzBluedog_DB]
{
	@description ^= :$: Thrust curve calculated based on the thrust profile provided by orbital ATK.:
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#ThrustCurvePrefab[real_STAR48]]
	{
		!ThrustCurvePrefab = delete
		!thrustCurve {}
		%useThrustCurve = true
		thrustCurve
		{
			key = 	1	0.8609
			key = 	0.9999	0.894
			key = 	0.9918	0.8609
			key = 	0.8695	0.9271
			key = 	0.8095	1
			key = 	0.7975	0.9271
			key = 	0.7271	0.9602
			key = 	0.7153	0.9271
			key = 	0.6302	1.0264
			key = 	0.4715	1.0993
			key = 	0.3326	1.1331
			key = 	0.2198	1.1331
			key = 	0.1516	1.0596
			key = 	0.0593	1.0596
			key = 	0.0068	1
			key = 	0	0.0006
		}
	}
}

Edited by Marcelo Silveira

4 minutes ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

Well, I have some suggestions for this mod.

A while back I made a patch for ATK Propulsion Pack to add thrust Curves closer to the real ones. You can use them for star-37 and star-48 if you want. :)  Or any other SRB that was in that patch.

*snipped image*
The image show the Star-37FM thrust profile provided by Orbital ATK and the equivalent thrustCurve calculated.
@CobaltWolf, feel free to use these patches for you Star-37/48.

Looks nice! We'll have to see what @Jso says, he handles stuff like that. I know some of the rockets have curves from the ATK catalog - the Castor-120 for instance. I don't know if the STARs have them. :)

aaaaaand now the CRP patch
I also made some patches ti add compatibility with Community Resource Pack (CRP)

The first patch replaces the monopropellant fuel cells with more 'realistic' hydrogen-oxygen ones used by the Apollo and Gemini programs. They have the same output (1.5Ec/s) but considerably different mass flow rate.

Spoiler

//Patch made by Marcelo Silveira to replace the original generators in the BlueDog pack.

//Adds fuel cell to Gemini's Service Modules.
@PART[bluedog_Gemini_Service_A]:BEFORE[BlueDog_DB]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	@cost += 3.8 //
	@mass -= 0.108 //H2 +O2 masses
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Hydrogen
		amount = 136000
		maxAmount = 136000
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxygen
		amount = 68000
		maxAmount = 68000
	}
	%RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
	{
		%amount = 50
		%maxAmount = 400
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]
	{
		@FillAmount = 0.98
		@AutoShutdown = false
		-INPUT_RESOURCE{}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Hydrogen
			Ratio = 1.5978
			FlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Oxygen
			Ratio = 0.7989
		}
		 OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		 {
			ResourceName = Water
			Ratio = 0.000128
			DumpExcess = true
		 }	
	}
}

//Fuel Cell for the Apollo Service Module
@PART[bluedog_Apollo_Block2_ServiceModule]:BEFORE[BlueDog_DB]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	@cost += 4.9 //
	@mass -= 0.138 //H2 +O2 masses
	// The SM had two tanks with 13kg of hydrogen each.
	// Using very simple maths we can calculate the corresponding hydrogen amount in ksp with CRP.
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Hydrogen
		amount = 174000
		maxAmount = 290000
	}		
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxygen
		amount = 87000
		maxAmount = 145000
	}

%RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
	{
		%amount = 50
		%maxAmount = 600
	}
	{
		@FillAmount = 0.95
		@AutoShutdown = false

-INPUT_RESOURCE{}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Hydrogen
			Ratio = 1.5978
		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Oxygen
			Ratio = 0.7989
		}
		 OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		 {
			ResourceName = Water
			Ratio = 0.000128
			DumpExcess = true
		 }	
	}
}

//Smaller fuel cell for the LM Ascent Stage
@PART[bluedog_LEM_Ascent_Cockpit]:BEFORE[BlueDog_DB]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{

@cost += 1.2 //
	@mass -= 0.035 //H2 +O2 masses
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Hydrogen
		amount = 45000
		maxAmount = 45000
	}		
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxygen
		amount = 22500
		maxAmount = 22500
	}
	{
		@FillAmount = 0.95
		@AutoShutdown = false
		-INPUT_RESOURCE{}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Hydrogen
			Ratio = 1.5978
		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Oxygen
			Ratio = 0.7989
		}
		 OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		 {
			ResourceName = Water
			Ratio = 0.000128
			DumpExcess = true
		 }	
	}
}

The second patch adds ResourceScanners to the following parts:

• COS-B3N3T Quadropole Mass Spectrometer can measure the concentration of Argon, CO2, Oxygen, Water vapor and Xenon in the atmosphere.
  • Radek-716 Geiger Counter can measure the concentration of Uraninite and Moniazite in the soil
  • WDU-W3T Surface Hydrometer can measure the concentration of water in the soil and atmosphere
  • DSMAG-R Folding Magnetometer Boom cam measure the concentration of MetallicOre, RareMetals and ExoticMinerals in the soil from low altitude

MVMA6nx.png

Spoiler

//Patch made by Marcelo Silveira to replace the original generators in the BlueDog pack.
//	Resource types:  
//	0 = Crustal		(Stuff you dig up)
//	1 = Oceanic	(Stuff in the oceans)
//	2 = Atmospheric	(Stuff in the air, varies with pressure)
//	3 = Interplanetary	(Stuff you find between planets)
//*********************************************************

//Adds gaseous resources scanner for the COS-B3N3T Quadropole Mass Spectrometer
@PART[Bluedog_MassSpec]:BEFORE[BlueDog_DB]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	@description ^= :$: It can also work as a gas detector.:
	MODULE
	{	name=ModuleBiomeScanner	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleResourceScanner
		ScannerType = 2
		ResourceName = ArgonGas
		MaxAbundanceAltitude = 25000
		RequiresUnlock = false
	}
	MODULE
	{
		ScannerType = 2
		ResourceName = CarbonDioxide
		RequiresUnlock = false
	}
	MODULE
	{
		ScannerType = 2
		ResourceName = Oxygen
		RequiresUnlock = false
	}
	MODULE
	{
		ScannerType = 2
		ResourceName = Water
		RequiresUnlock = false
	}
	MODULE
	{
		ScannerType = 2
		ResourceName = XenonGas
		RequiresUnlock = false
	}
}

//Adds radioactive resources scanner for the Radek-716 Geiger Counter
@PART[Bluedog_Geiger]:BEFORE[BlueDog_DB]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	@description ^= :$: Has a uranium ore detector.:
	MODULE
	MODULE
	{	name=ModuleAsteroidAnalysis	}
	MODULE
	{
		name=ModuleAnalysisResource
		resourceName = Uraninite
	}

MODULE
	{
		ScannerType = 0
		ResourceName = Uraninite
		MaxAbundanceAltitude = 1000
		RequiresUnlock = false
	}
	MODULE
	{
		ScannerType = 0
		ResourceName = Mopedantte
		MaxAbundanceAltitude = 1000
		RequiresUnlock = false
	}
}

//Adds liquid resources scanner for the WDU-W3T Surface Hydrometer
@PART[bluedog_hydrometer]:BEFORE[BlueDog_DB]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	@description ^= :$: Can detect the composition of the liquid were it lands, it also can measure the ground water content.:
	MODULE
	MODULE
	{	name=ModuleAsteroidAnalysis	}
	MODULE
	{
		name=ModuleAnalysisResource
		resourceName = Water
	}

MODULE
	{