[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, space_powder said:

Is that a custom plume for the BDB Saturn V? I have RealPlume, and my plume isn't nearly as massive tbh

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Looks like a bit of Photoshop, at least for the glow.

flare around the engine is photoshop. Smoke is actually from my 39A pad.

I am just so in love with these LDC Titan parts, easily my new favorite LV from the mod. It occurred to me that it could be build in a configuration similar to another proposal from the 80s... the Atlas II CELV! This was one of the competitors for the CELV contract, which in real life went to Titan IV for a nominal 10 missions to take pressure off the shuttle flight rate. Of course in real life, Titan IV was a very very expensive dead end... We definitely need a 5x engine mount for this thing, it can even use the side-walls from the 4x engine mount I've shown previously.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=30773.0;

jKH6caC.png

I knew there was a good reason I made those GEM-60XLs...

10 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I am just so in love with these LDC Titan parts, easily my new favorite LV from the mod. It occurred to me that it could be build in a configuration similar to another proposal from the 80s... the Atlas II CELV! This was one of the competitors for the CELV contract, which in real life went to Titan IV for a nominal 10 missions to take pressure off the shuttle flight rate. Of course in real life, Titan IV was a very very expensive dead end... We definitely need a 5x engine mount for this thing, it can even use the side-walls from the 4x engine mount I've shown previously.

I knew there was a good reason I made those GEM-60XLs...

Ooh me like

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Last night @Jso integrated @JadeOfMaar's new Plume Party RCS into the mod. Let us know what you think, and if anything needs to be changed! Right now they're all using the 'Soyuz' plume, and some probably need to be rescaled.

I could see Hot Flash via a different color and resize be use for the Titan/Able Hypergolic engines

NICE WORK JadeOfMaar

Edited by Pappystein

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Last night @Jso integrated @JadeOfMaar's new Plume Party RCS into the mod. Let us know what you think, and if anything needs to be changed! Right now they're all using the 'Soyuz' plume, and some probably need to be rescaled.

So we can see them in game where they're much more impressive than in screenshots, Apollo is using "Soyuz", Gemini "Hot Flash", and everything else "Whiff". "Beam" gave me some positioning trouble I wasn't prepared to deal with last night. This is some very nice work by @JadeOfMaar.

These are just slapped on, no effort was made to scale anything.

E7XFSsD.jpg

6 hours ago, Jso said:

So we can see them in game where they're much more impressive than in screenshots, Apollo is using "Soyuz", Gemini "Hot Flash", and everything else "Whiff". "Beam" gave me some positioning trouble I wasn't prepared to deal with last night. This is some very nice work by @JadeOfMaar.

E7XFSsD.jpg

Wow they look amazing like that, the Hot Flash and Whiff really suit those early hypergolics like Gemini/Agena. The smoother one for Apollo also makes sense seeing as the apollo RCS engines went on to become probe engines IIRC so you would imagine they were pretty efficient.

17 hours ago, Jso said:

E7XFSsD.jpg

Whoa!!!!! 

@Jso :wub: Duuuude.

Concerning the Beam plume, I assume you mean an issue of clearance that results from the length of the plume emitter area? Or does it need to be offset less or more to not clip far through an RCS thruster?

23 hours ago, Pappystein said:

I could see Hot Flash via a different color and resize be use for the Titan/Able Hypergolic engines

NICE WORK JadeOfMaar

Interesting idea there. I don't make engine plumes in the color gradient I use for RCS. There's an update coming for the RCS plumes. They'll be less opaque and a bit speedy. See MP4 video.

And about hypergolic engines, I came up with this palette after watching a video or two and learning about yellow Nitrogen Dioxide gas... The blue and white represent the extreme heat in the moment of ignition of a hypergol mix.

U5MjlFz.png

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Concerning the Beam plume, I assume you mean an issue of clearance that results from the length of the plume emitter area? Or does it need to be offset less or more to not clip far through an RCS thruster?

It's starts behind the thruster and runs through it. On completely enclosed thrusters like the ones built in to the Command pod it would probably be fine. I haven't had a chance to tinker with it on the typical exposed type like on the service module.

MlWZlPe.png

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

And about hypergolic engines, I came up with this palette after watching a video or two and learning about yellow Nitrogen Dioxide gas... The blue and white represent the extreme heat in the moment of ignition of a hypergol mix.

Wow! :)

That is the big difference between the Typical Hypergolic fuels and LFO...  Hypergolic tend to start near a LNG/Propane Blue color flame  and quickly digress to bright yellow (almost invisible on a sunny day)   LFO tends to be slightly brownish of yellow on most burn profiles.   IIRC the Blue in the Hypergolc fire is actually caused by the engine bell (ablation)

Hi guys.  Bit of a head scratcher here, but, I just recently completed a recreation of Apollo 11, following as closely to the original flight plan as I could, and noticed in S2 and S3, there was a significant amount of fuel left over after the needed burns.  My question is, is this intended behavior?  Or was this mod balanced for an upscaled solar system?  A quick perusal of the thread didn't give me any answers, so forgive me if I missed a post discussing this.

37 minutes ago, Dedalous said:

Hi guys.  Bit of a head scratcher here, but, I just recently completed a recreation of Apollo 11, following as closely to the original flight plan as I could, and noticed in S2 and S3, there was a significant amount of fuel left over after the needed burns.  My question is, is this intended behavior?  Or was this mod balanced for an upscaled solar system?  A quick perusal of the thread didn't give me any answers, so forgive me if I missed a post discussing this.

It's more balanced on 2.5x rescale

10 hours ago, Dedalous said:

~snip~ was this mod balanced for an upscaled solar system?  A quick perusal of the thread didn't give me any answers, so forgive me if I missed a post discussing this.

9 hours ago, space_powder said:

It's more balanced on 2.5x rescale

@CobaltWolf Can we please, please have this added to the FAQ in OP? Also if the 'A' after the 'Q' pointed to the specific mods and or settings in those mods to use, that would be even better. :P (Also tagging @Jso as he might be the one to write it up)