[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 1/18/2019 at 7:03 PM, Gapone said:

@CobaltWolf PLEASE DO NOT LEFT IT UNNOTICED

OK

Your mod is awesome,

thanks

but...

uh oh.

It needs

a version without some dependencies: stock fuels, separate and stock variant parts instead of b9switched.

No can do, the stock fuels and variant system isn't capable of accomplishing what we want in the mod.

The parts (Pa) are too unkerbal. Some changes/patches/fixes needed. Hidden attachment nodes, integrated things, etc., just to recreate the historical missions. This is KSP, man! More flexibility (Fb), man!

Flexibility is the reason why we have things like extra nodes. If you're not capable of recreating the historical missions there isn't much of a point in making historical parts?

Especially the Apollo: Have you nerfed the engines just for it to be suitable for the Mun only? ~Fb

The engines in the mod actually use the real-world ISPs (because the Kerbal ISPs are based on real ISPs enough for using the real ISPs to work out)

Glowing windows are wrong color

I actually am not sure what you mean - is it all parts or just some in particular?

Remove the parts that are available separately: e.g. antennas on the sina mem. ~Fb

The MEM, since it really can only go together one way, had most of the stuff integrated to make it easier for people to build.

Hollowable service bays (as in the making history) ~Pa ~Fb

Not interested, use something like Universal Storage 2 (which has their own version of the Apollo and Gemini SM). I might remake the service modules to be more realistic, but they wouldn't be stock service bays (which I dislike).

Some nonexistent parts that never existed IRL

I... what?

Switchable textures on some parts (read, toggleable gold foil on gemini service module)

Is that the only thing you're looking for? I have old foil on the Gemini SM, I might take a bit to improve it but it's not an immediate concern.

A separate folder for Eyes Turned Skywards parts

I can't, they're reliant on bits and pieces of other texture atlases.

Blue gemini service bay (variants blue/white/red) and MOL ~Pa ~Fb

There is a Gemini B service module, and I'm planning on making better MOL parts at some point in the future (and the current 1.875m station parts are going to remain, just named differently)

Shepard booster/booster support (works like a strut) split ~Pa ~Fb

Shepard... like... Blue Origin's Shepard?

A 1.5m to 1.25m command pod (Botticelli-like, Gemini-shaped, not IRL) ~Pa

Not interested, I have enough to do right now.

Apollo D2 ~Pa

There's a great one made already! :)

Mercury A-D prototype parts ~Pa

Not really interested, I've thought about doing stuff like the little Mercury/Agena lab but there's just no real point in trying to expand Mercury that much compared to expanding on the Gemini and Apollo stuff.

Mercury Mk2 ~Pa

I've seen people make some really cool Mercury Mk2 with the Gemini and Mercury parts.

Also, why are the markings are written by russian letters? :D

It's in keeping with the Tantares = american companies / BDB = russian design bureau joke.

p.s. i am really a gemini lover

I do too, I think it gets almost too much love some times. It was a great little spacecraft but not as capable as some people like to imagine.

Edited by Val
Font size

On 1/18/2019 at 7:49 PM, CobaltWolf said:

No can do, the stock fuels and variant system isn't capable of accomplishing what we want in the mod.

"We want" - are you sure? Additional fuels aren't stockalike.

If you're not capable of recreating the historical missions there isn't much of a point in making historical parts?

KSP is a game of and about creativity.

The engines in the mod actually use the real-world ISPs (because the Kerbal ISPs are based on real ISPs enough for using the real ISPs to work out)

OK

I actually am not sure what you mean - is it all parts or just some in particular?

KSP's lit windows are yellowish color. Yours are white.

The MEM, since it really can only go together one way, had most of the stuff integrated to make it easier for people to build.

What if some people want to place stuff where the (unremovable) antennas are? As I said, KSP is a game of and about creativity.

Not interested, use something like Universal Storage 2 (which has their own version of the Apollo and Gemini SM). I might remake the service modules to be more realistic, but they wouldn't be stock service bays (which I dislike).

OK, but can't you make hollow structural shrouds in the shape of these service modules? As of US2, I'm trying to keep my game with least mods, and US2 can't embed engines/RCS/docking ports.

I... what?

OK, but you have some enclosed petal fairing I haven't seen before

Is that the only thing you're looking for? I have old foil on the Gemini SM, I might take a bit to improve it but it's not an immediate concern.

OK, I am really good at texture editing :)

I can't, they're reliant on bits and pieces of other texture atlases.

OK, more parts=more thanks

There is a Gemini B service module, and I'm planning on making better MOL parts at some point in the future (and the current 1.875m station parts are going to remain, just named differently)

OK,i'm so blind

Shepard... like... Blue Origin's Shepard?

"Shepherd" deorbit booster. Sorry. I hate BlueOrigin, SpaceX, etc small companies.

Not interested, I have enough to do right now.

OK

My favourite (almost catch)phrase: NOT STOCKALIKE.

Not really interested, I've thought about doing stuff like the little Mercury/Agena lab but there's just no real point in trying to expand Mercury that much compared to expanding on the Gemini and Apollo stuff.

O-OK?..

I've seen people make some really cool Mercury Mk2 with the Gemini and Mercury parts.

OK:cool:

It's in keeping with the Tantares = american companies / BDB = russian design bureau joke.

OK:P

I do too, I think it gets almost too much love some times. It was a great little spacecraft but not as capable as some people like to imagine.

:blush: just because of the windows shape... /o\

Also i suggest to remove these "place in x" or "place between y and z" from descriptions. You're removing Fb with that.

Edited by Val
Font size

nhGalpk.png

Made this abomination with a streched Saturn IC First Stage running a pair of F-1s, a pair of Titan IV SRB boosters and a S-II

Accidentaly made the conic interstage not decouple, but the 5 J2 aren't obstructed by it (Still a tad of mass wasted there lol)

35 minutes ago, Pkmniako said:

nhGalpk.png

Made this abomination with a streched Saturn IC First Stage running a pair of F-1s, a pair of Titan IV SRB boosters and a S-II

Accidentaly made the conic interstage not decouple, but the 5 J2 aren't obstructed by it (Still a tad of mass wasted there lol)

Those proportions are ridiculous and I love it

1 hour ago, Gapone said:

They are just suggestions and requests.

It's the fact that the manner in which you made them that is demanding and aggressive, rather than "hey, any chance you could add X, Y, and/or Z to the pack down the road?" Please keep in mind that Cobalt (and all the other mod makers, for that matter) are making these fantastic packs free of charge, which means that they owe us nothing. It doesn't take much to make them feel unwanted, and then there's no more new parts. I'm sure that all the old-timers around here can name multiple examples of this. You've not been around nearly as long, so I'll let the attitude slide this time.

Also, nothing says you have to use the pack as-is. One of the best aspects of KSP is just how easy it is to mod things... Just open the .cfg file in Notepad and start tinkering to your heart's content. If you don't like the fuel mix used by an engine, nothing is stopping you from changing it. ;)

@GaponeBluedog is one of the best mods ever made for KSP. And most people like it as it is. If you are one of those people who don`t like this mod then don`t play it. If you think it isn`t stockalike enough(you wrote this to other mods too) then play stockalike or other mods. No one does force you to play this mod.

The first iteration of my Gemini development - the Gemini M. I had this in mind for Minmus missions in general, and plan on further development. First launch was cis-lunar on a Titan IIIC with an extended centaur upper stage... Barely made it to orbit in 2.5x tbh (oh, 108km x 107 km). The Gemini Light lander I made will lighten the load more for expeditions in future missions to come. Note: There is a MOL solar panel on the opposite side... I balanced it out with a Agena science bay.

nAbmhjo.pngV1n4V31.png

Edited by Abrecan

bdb is THE gold standard for parts packs, and beats out older contemporaries like FASA in every way.

1-if something is not to your liking? you dont have to use it.

also..using CAPS? just has people a, looking at you funny, or b, flat out ignoring you.

...not even the caps, its more the giant sized letters.

2- cobalt wolf does NOT get paid to make these fine fine parts, which are crafted with much time, love, blood, sweat, and tears, and much feedback from us normie bois via his twitch stream.

3- pow! to the mun alice!

10 hours ago, Pkmniako said:

That's disgusting, I want more.

12 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

bdb is THE gold standard for parts packs, and beats out older contemporaries like FASA in every way.

1-if something is not to your liking? you dont have to use it.

also..using CAPS? just has people a, looking at you funny, or b, flat out ignoring you.

...not even the caps, its more the giant sized letters.

2- cobalt wolf does NOT get paid to make these fine fine parts, which are crafted with much time, love, blood, sweat, and tears, and much feedback from us normie bois via his twitch stream.

3- pow! to the mun alice!

Amen!

@Gapone, you need a lesson in manners.

@CobaltWolf has spent countless hours making an amazing mod and is always receptive to feedback, your posts come off as obnoxious and rude. If you want to tweak things, you can always do it yourself. I am constantly editing BDB parts, textures...etc. I do the same with Tantares. 

@AlphaMensae that's awesome! If you finish it soon I can include some pics with it in the release album! :)

21 hours ago, Abrecan said:

The first iteration of my Gemini development - the Gemini M. I had this in mind for Minmus missions in general, and plan on further development. First launch was cis-lunar on a Titan IIIC with an extended centaur upper stage... Barely made it to orbit in 2.5x tbh (oh, 108km x 107 km). The Gemini Light lander I made will lighten the load more for expeditions in future missions to come. Note: There is a MOL solar panel on the opposite side... I balanced it out with a Agena science bay.

I just uploaded some updated textures for some of the MOL parts. Anyone feel like checking them for me to make sure I didn't wipe out the texture on some of the parts? I got about halfway through some texture updates some months ago and I wanted to push what I had, seeing how much use those parts still get. :)

EDIT: Helps if I share some pics.... here's the new lab and hab. Should feel nicer in game, not perfect though.

BBIofuL.pngnT4bmXl.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

On 1/18/2019 at 2:06 PM, Gapone said:

My favourite (almost catch)phrase: NOT STOCKALIKE.

Actually with the exception of fuel it is very stockalike.   And there is a reason that all these mod authors are using Hydrolox fuel.  

Simply put it is the same reason almost every Space agency in the real world is using it.   It masses 1/4 that of Kerolox (RP-1/O)   Means smaller lighter stages with fewer engines.

If you were to Build a Saturn V with only RP-1/O in the real world it would have been bigger than the Soviet N-1 and less capable.    The reliance on RP-1/O is one of the factors that made the N-1 so big for such a small final space craft (Think Gemini with a 1 man Gemini lander on top of something BIGGER than the Saturn V for an Idea...

On 1/18/2019 at 2:06 PM, Gapone said:

Good, Gemini B service module? Like, short and blue? Where is it?

In the real world it would not have been Blue.   Several models and even the Mochup of the Gemini B were painted blue for publicity...    This is an Air-Force Rocket not a NASA one.   The Actual Flight Articles would have been Black and White just like NASA's Gemini. 

A perfect example.  Before it flew the Gemini B Capsule was publicly shown in Blue....   But it flew in Black....

here it is:

Gemini2x.jpg

Edited by Pappystein
Embeded pix