[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, OTmikhail said:

I think I see the mass in the CFG files, what did you lower Wally down to in order to reach 9kg weight?

We're using 23% dry mass for all srbs, solid fuel weighs 0.0075 per unit. So mass = Fuel Units * 0.0075 * 0.23. Round that to 4 digits precision. For the Wally with 1 fuel unit it's:

1 * 0.0075 = 0.0075 fuel mass.

0.0075 * 0.23 = 0.001725 dry mass, rounded = 0.0017.

In the config: mass = 0.0017

Fueled weight will be 0.0017 + 1 fuel unit at 0.0075 = 0.0092 tons or 9.2 kg.

That gives the Pioneer probe about 350 deltav, enough to capture at the Mun. A Star 37 can get you there, or maybe 2 star 20's. You can fit all that on a Vanguard/Able.

The Sargent 1x/3x/11x contraption weighs about 2 tons now. It's crazy heavy so don't pay attention to that. Once we settle on what a 1x Sargent looks like, the 3x and 11x will weigh 3x and 11x respectively.

@Foxxonius Augustus & @CobaltWolf I got actually reading the summary I linked to earlier and on page 19 of the PDF, there is this line about the uncrewed Gemini supply vehicles "Solid Cargo is manually transfered through the pressurized nose section."

Not sure if that is the direction you want to go in, but they do show a version with the nose RCS removed and a forward docking hatch.

4 hours ago, TimothyC said:

~there is this line about the uncrewed Gemini supply vehicles "Solid Cargo is manually transfered through the pressurized nose section."~

I had noticed this as well :) I don't think it changes much as our "Specific Design" can mount the standard mechanical only Gemini docking mechanism as well as, if you remove the adapter, the planed .9375m A****o docking port that would be suitable for internal transfer. I did notice in that report that liquid cargo (i.e Propellant, water etc.) was transferred by an umbilical. That just makes me wish @CobaltWolf would change his mind about not making fuel lines... oh well I guess that's what KIS/KAS is for.

On 5/8/2016 at 11:51 AM, hraban said:

Hi Cuddlewolpertinger,

on KSP 1.1.2 the MOS-DM 1.875  decoupler cant couple or decouple. The Belle Docking Port and the M-C32 Docking Mechanism cant autodock by MechJeb2.

I'll take a look at the MOS-DM, but know that it isn't exactly 'finished' right now.

For the Gemini/Agena, do you mean that it doesn't align normally? It docks just fine for me using MJ but you have to force the angle to -90 or something. I need to rotate the Agena docking port in Unity.

On 5/8/2016 at 2:31 PM, RickKermen said:

Hi CobaltWolf, thank you for the great stockalike "FASA", i'm having great fun with your mod togheter with Stock Size Real Solar System (leaving link to the ones that don't know it, it's perfect to play with BDB mods and Tantares). 

I wanted to ask your mod will support "Stockalike RF Engine Config" support, because right now Real Fuels give a really high DeltaV to the BDB Rockets, taking a bit of challenge out.

Thank you! I have not played with SSRSS but it sounds nice. I don't have any plans to support RF, by which is means I don't really plan to support anything. :wink: I rely on compatibility patches made and maintained by helpful community members, so if you or anyone else want to take a whack at them I will include them in the download!

21 hours ago, TimothyC said:

@Foxxonius Augustus & @CobaltWolf I got actually reading the summary I linked to earlier and on page 19 of the PDF, there is this line about the uncrewed Gemini supply vehicles "Solid Cargo is manually transfered through the pressurized nose section."

Not sure if that is the direction you want to go in, but they do show a version with the nose RCS removed and a forward docking hatch.

16 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

I had noticed this as well :) I don't think it changes much as our "Specific Design" can mount the standard mechanical only Gemini docking mechanism as well as, if you remove the adapter, the planed .9375m A****o docking port that would be suitable for internal transfer. I did notice in that report that liquid cargo (i.e Propellant, water etc.) was transferred by an umbilical. That just makes me wish @CobaltWolf would change his mind about not making fuel lines... oh well I guess that's what KIS/KAS is for.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The real challenge would be adapting the TRAILS pod to a 0.9375m nose to allow forward docking. Hmmm...

EDIT2: No there's pretty much no way of preserving the windows on TRAILS and having a 0.9375m front node.

EDIT: oh, also, I'm planning on streaming tonight assuming I don't die on my run. I want to try and get some stuff in game tonight and get a dev release with some new goodies out.

And I merged @Jso's changes to the SRBs into the main branch. Try them out by downloading the Github source.

Edited by CobaltWolf

57 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

For the Gemini/Agena, do you mean that it doesn't align normally? It docks just fine for me using MJ but you have to force the angle to -90 or something. I need to rotate the Agena docking port in Unity.

Jep, the orientation must be rotated -90°. It's ok if you know that :)

Please rotate the Agena docking port by 90° so autodock with force  0° will work.

7 minutes ago, hraban said:

Jep, the orientation must be rotated -90°. It's ok if you know that :)

Please rotate the Agena docking port by 90° so autodock with force  0° will work.

Logged on Github, will be taken care of soon. :)

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT: oh, also, I'm planning on streaming tonight assuming I don't die on my run. I want to try and get some stuff in game tonight and get a dev release with some new goodies out.

I died and had to get carried back to my apartment, and now my friends are staying for drinks and dinner. I also likely have to work nights this week to meet a contractor deadline. I will post screenshots / dev builds for anything I manage to get done, and streaming will resume once I am back on top of stuff.

7 hours ago, drtedastro said:

My advise, drink much..

very very much.

lots 

Already on it guess-the-emoji-up-108.jpg

@Shadowmage I tried converting the double sided solar panel to two static panels with a generic animation module. I tried every combination of order (iirc that matters some times) and DeployFXModules=X on the solar panels I could think of, and it still doesn't work. The right click menu still has all these:

• Extend (The module animate button)
  • Extend Panel
  • Retract Panel
  • Extend Panel
  • Retract Panel
  • and then all the antenna buttons, including 'Toggle' which worries me.

Any further insight on this? The solar panels both don't produce electricity at any angle.

EDIT: Also I got a report that in the recent dev releases the Titan engines were using the default Unity shader which makes the whole mesh shiny. Can I get a confirmation of that, preferably a screenshot?

Edited by CobaltWolf

38 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Already on it guess-the-emoji-up-108.jpg

@Shadowmage I tried converting the double sided solar panel to two static panels with a generic animation module. I tried every combination of order (iirc that matters some times) and DeployFXModules=X on the solar panels I could think of, and it still doesn't work. The right click menu still has all these:

• Extend (The module animate button)
  • Extend Panel
  • Retract Panel
  • Extend Panel
  • Retract Panel
  • and then all the antenna buttons, including 'Toggle' which worries me.

Any further insight on this? The solar panels both don't produce electricity at any angle.

EDIT: Also I got a report that in the recent dev releases the Titan engines were using the default Unity shader which makes the whole mesh shiny. Can I get a confirmation of that, preferably a screenshot?

Honestly without access to KSP source I couldn't tell you how to set it up for stock modules;  this is part of why I code all my own modules :) (so I know wth is going on and how they are supposed to be setup).   However if the animation buttons are still showing up then something is not setup properly;   did you try not defining a deployFXModules field (e.g. remove it from the config entirely)? 

Your best bet would be to look at the stock static solar panels and copy their module configs and just change the name for the sun-catcher transform.  I'm at work at the moment (and usually am when I'm browsing the forums); so do not have access to my KSP install, so I have no idea what setup the stock static solar panels use.

Just now, Shadowmage said:

Honestly without access to KSP source I couldn't tell you how to set it up for stock modules;  this is part of why I code all my own modules :) (so I know wth is going on and how they are supposed to be setup).   However if the animation buttons are still showing up then something is not setup properly;   did you try not defining a deployFXModules field (e.g. remove it from the config entirely)? 

Your best bet would be to look at the stock static solar panels and copy their module configs and just change the name for the sun-catcher transform.  I'm at work at the moment (and usually am when I'm browsing the forums); so do not have access to my KSP install, so I have no idea what setup the stock static solar panels use.

That's the issue - I *did* copy the stock static panel's module, which doesn't have the deployFXModules field. I am at work as well but if I get a chance tonight I'd like to perhaps try it with only one module, see if I can get that working.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

That's the issue - I *did* copy the stock static panel's module, which doesn't have the deployFXModules field. I am at work as well but if I get a chance tonight I'd like to perhaps try it with only one module, see if I can get that working.

If it comes down to it you are welcome to use the SSTU plugin and its SSTUSolarPanelStatic module, or even just borrow the code if you wanted to start on your own plugin.  It has been specifically written to handle multiple transforms through a single module, and will work just fine using the ModuleAnimateGeneric to drive the deploy animation (I use a similar setup on the Soyuz service module; static/non-tracking solar panels with a generic animation to deploy them). 

Stock does some strange things sometimes with their modules, making assumptions regarding part setup, so there might be some code in the deployable solar panel module where it will trigger the animation buttons if -any- animation is present on the part.  If that is the case your only options would be to 1.) remove all other animations from the part, or 2.) use a custom module.  The easiest way to test this would be to (edit: remove -all- ) animations from the part and re-export from Unity and test it again; if the animation buttons go away.. then it is a stock incompatibility with the solar panel module and animated parts

Edited by Shadowmage

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

If it comes down to it you are welcome to use the SSTU plugin and its SSTUSolarPanelStatic module, or even just borrow the code if you wanted to start on your own plugin.  It has been specifically written to handle multiple transforms through a single module, and will work just fine using the ModuleAnimateGeneric to drive the deploy animation (I use a similar setup on the Soyuz service module; static/non-tracking solar panels with a generic animation to deploy them). 

Stock does some strange things sometimes with their modules, making assumptions regarding part setup, so there might be some code in the deployable solar panel module where it will trigger the animation buttons if -any- animation is present on the part.  If that is the case your only options would be to 1.) remove all other animations from the part, or 2.) use a custom module.  The easiest way to test this would be to (edit: remove -all- ) animations from the part and re-export from Unity and test it again; if the animation buttons go away.. then it is a stock incompatibility with the solar panel module and animated parts

Sounds like that might be the case. If that happens, then I think they'll just wind up being 'single sided' panels. 

Also, I've realized that I don't have any screenshots for the new update! :0 If anyone has some cool stuff they've taken recently, let me know. Remember that the MOS parts won't be in the update, but if you have screenshots of cool things you've built with TRAILS parts or probes with the redone antennas please share them!

EDIT: Also any further bug reports or balance issues!

Edited by CobaltWolf

@Markush100 there were, ah, issues when I was trying to update the Atlas V textures. I think right now it's actually using something like 'AtlasV3.tga' so I wouldn't be surprised, as .tga files sometimes don't load. I need to replace the old file with the new one and recompress it before release. I've logged a bug on Git.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Also, I've realized that I don't have any screenshots for the new update! :0 If anyone has some cool stuff they've taken recently, let me know. Remember that the MOS parts won't be in the update, but if you have screenshots of cool things you've built with TRAILS parts or probes with the redone antennas please share them!

Here is something then. A Ranger-esque type CommSat. I like how with RemoteTech you can now boost the signal of Omni's by having more Omni's! So this isn't just for looks, but functional too.

Feel free to use any of these if you like them.