[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Can you (or I) share that on Reddit? Would be great promo material. :)

It's all yours!

2 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I took more screenshots of some Apollo-related things, since everyone else is probably busy landing on the moon.

First up is a Skylab, made with MOLE parts (he doesn't have very clear indication of how to build the upper part of it, so it was my best guess)

Next is a Kane-Tantares Test Project. A solar panel came off on fairing sep, but the scientists on the ground decided it wasn't a mission critical failure.

By the way, my S-IVB has both liquid fuel and liquid hydrogen in the tank. I first of all don't know how H2 got in there; I don't have cryo rockets installed, and second, I don't think both are supposed to be there. (Probably an error on my end, tbh)

Since Cobalt tagged you, I'd also like to piggy back on it, and I just want to know how you got those stage 1-2 ullage motors to work. When I use them, they want to detach from the interstage whenever I decouple the S-I.

The only way is to make the ATM animated so it fold once in orbit, I've managed to do that with infernal robotics in the past:

WI3EcAE.png

Do you talk about image number 8 in the Apollo gallery?

1 hour ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I have questions about CryoEngines being integrated with the mod, though I'm not against it.

Does it affect anything besides BDB parts?

Does it affect more BDB rockets than just the Sarnus?

Suppose someone uninstalls or doesn't install CryoEngines. Is there a backup config to put default resources, however heavy they might be?

Finally, forgive me for asking, because I'm sure a lot of people otherwise will, but couldn't you just overpower your parts for balance reasons while using the default resources? (A la--in my experience anyway--Tantares)

"Cryoengines" is probably not the best term. We're using community resource pack, which is almost as ubiquitous as MM if you have mods installed.

but in order: 

no, it shouldn't. 

Sarnus and centaur, i.e., the LH2/LOx rockets.

see point "0", it shouldn't be affected by anything external. Unless you remove CRP, but at that point this isn't the only thing that would break.

we could do that: we used to, very recently as the default. The trade off for having a S-V rocket at this scale is difficult. The options are basically: OP and make most of the parts redundant, or make it fly "right"-ish. The latter was chosen. (Additionally, we're not balancing on the same rational as those dirty red rockets tantares :wink: 

all very valid questions though; the LH2 decision wasn't a light one, no pun intended.

(also as a general statement: I always find it a good idea to take a peek under the hood at the config files if anyone is curious as to how the hamster turns the wheel, although I know it's not for everyone.)

I have questions about CryoEngines being integrated with the mod, though I'm not against it.

Does it affect anything besides BDB parts?

Not at this time.

Does it affect more BDB rockets than just the Sarnus?

Centaur.

Suppose someone uninstalls or doesn't install CryoEngines. Is there a backup config to put default resources, however heavy they might be?

CryoEngines is not required anymore, we're doing Hydrolox by default. CryoEngines may or may not be required for the tank switching feature. I haven't decided yet.

Finally, forgive me for asking, because I'm sure a lot of people otherwise will, but couldn't you just overpower your parts for balance reasons while using the default resources? (A la--in my experience anyway--Tantares)

No. I'm sure someone will make an MM config to do that, it's not hard.

Just now, Drakenex said:

I want to have the closest to an official build (until the manual is updated), feel free to address any inaccuracy/missing part!

ERW37TT.png

You forgot to add the 2 ullage rockets to the S-IVB (the triangular solids) and the outer F-1s should be rotated 90 degrees so the large pipe faces inward and wraps around the outer facing part of the nozzle.

9 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

I want to have the closest to an official build (until the manual is updated), feel free to address any inaccuracy/missing part!

ERW37TT.png

Also youre missing between 2 or 6 S-II ullage motors (depending on which mission your Saturn represents.)

27 minutes ago, _Krieger_ said:

You forgot to add the 2 ullage rockets to the S-IVB (the triangular solids) and the outer F-1s should be rotated 90 degrees so the large pipe faces inward and wraps around the outer facing part of the nozzle.

22 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

Also youre missing between 2 or 6 S-II ullage motors (depending on which mission your Saturn represents.)

18 minutes ago, _Krieger_ said:

FYI Apollo 4-6 used 8, 8-14 used 4 and the rest didn't use them at all.

16 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

Im aware... hence my saying "depending on which mission you Saturn represents".

11 minutes ago, _Krieger_ said:

I just meant to clarify incase someone didn't know, I didn't mean to be smug.

Cheers

Great! Thanks a lot

Been playing with various adaptations of the Saturn family, but here I present something that actually happened:

(Click here for the full album)

MNOmSKS.jpg

From Wikipedia:

The Pegasus satellite program was a series of three American satellites launched in 1965 to study the frequency of micrometeorite impacts on spacecraft. All three Pegasus satellites were launched by Saturn I rockets, and remained connected with their upper stages.

Edited by minepagan
Imgur being dumb

5 minutes ago, minepagan said:

How did you get KVV in 1.2?

Judging by all the other stuff he's using (I caught RealPlume in his other screenshots) I believe he's still using 1.1.3.

Awesome stuff y'all have been posting! Loving all the cool recreations of all the obscure stuff especially. @IronCretin really cool to see those versions of Saturn get made! Depending on how much interest there is, I might make dedicated stages some day (similar to how you don't actually have to build the Saturn 1st stage out of actual Redstone stages). @minepagan cool to see Pegasus! I really hope I get to make an oversized, 2-3 use science experiment based on it some day. @Drakenex, I think apart from the criticism that people have given, the only other thing I see is your instrument unit has some weird shading.

9 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Judging by all the other stuff he's using (I caught RealPlume in his other screenshots) I believe he's still using 1.1.3.

Awesome stuff y'all have been posting! Loving all the cool recreations of all the obscure stuff especially. @IronCretin really cool to see those versions of Saturn get made! Depending on how much interest there is, I might make dedicated stages some day (similar to how you don't actually have to build the Saturn 1st stage out of actual Redstone stages).....

Yes please! Also, can you make stretched tanks and adapters for the Saturn MLV series?

sat1gen.gif

I (think) I heard the HUUGGGEEEEE SRB was in planning/dev, but how about those stretched S-1B tanks, and an adapter from 2.5-4x1.875 for the other SRB powered one? All the other ones you can make with existing parts (I have :sticktongue:)

27 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Awesome stuff y'all have been posting! Loving all the cool recreations of all the obscure stuff especially. @IronCretin really cool to see those versions of Saturn get made! Depending on how much interest there is, I might make dedicated stages some day (similar to how you don't actually have to build the Saturn 1st stage out of actual Redstone stages). @minepagan cool to see Pegasus! I really hope I get to make an oversized, 2-3 use science experiment based on it some day. @Drakenex, I think apart from the criticism that people have given, the only other thing I see is your instrument unit has some weird shading.

Yeah, 1.1.3 for screens only, 1.2 for balance testing, there a lot of mods I depend on to make a proper mission so that's why I've used 1.1.3 for the gallery.

@CobaltWolf may be is KVV, let me see how it displays on 1.2.

Sorry if it was discussed before, but I can't see them on the roadmap, are rover wheels planned?

X3EYIvt.jpg

1 minute ago, davidy12 said:

Apollo 4+6 had 8.

Apollo 8-14 had 4. 

They never had six.

Yes... but look at the picture. There are 2 motors on the Saturn already (you can see 1, and Im making the reasonable assumption that there was 1 more on the opposite side). So he's either missing 2 (to add up to 4) or 6 (to add up to 8).

31 minutes ago, minepagan said:

Yes please! Also, can you make stretched tanks and adapters for the Saturn MLV series?

I (think) I heard the HUUGGGEEEEE SRB was in planning/dev, but how about those stretched S-1B tanks, and an adapter from 2.5-4x1.875 for the other SRB powered one? All the other ones you can make with existing parts (I have :sticktongue:)

I kind of don't want to make the stretched cluster stages. I will be making thin, short, medium, long etc fuel tanks in 3.75m for all your monolithic tank Saturn 1 variants though. The 4x SRB adapter can be made by tweakscaling the 2.5m>4x 1.25m adapter from stock. The AJ260 will be coming in two variants, long and short (since both full length and half length versions were included in proposals), here is a better picture of it. You can see the influence it would have on the later Shuttle SRBs (apart from the monolithic construction).

Saturn1bMLV.png

16 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

Yeah, 1.1.3 for screens only, 1.2 for balance testing, there a lot of mods I depend on to make a proper mission so that's why I've used 1.1.3 for the gallery.

@CobaltWolf may be is KVV, let me see how it displays on 1.2.

Sorry if it was discussed before, but I can't see them on the roadmap, are rover wheels planned?

If I do a rover (doesn't seem worth it right now) I would include it in SEP. It is already on the roadmap for that mod, but take my last sentence as a sign of how interested I am.

Gemini 3 over the western coast of Africa. The mission (I haven't finished it yet) will last three revolutions and have a burn on the second orbit to increase the altitude for the third and final one. Before the flight the crew was thouroughly frisked by the TSA for corned beef sandwiches, although they managed to sneak one on the ship anyway (nice FASA IVA, m8)

GE43hnU.png

k2Neeyp.png

Second stage of the Titan booster as viewed from the pilot's seat of Gemini. Due to time restraints no attempt at rendezvous will be made on this flight.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a working copy of FASA launch towers? The download link on the forum thread is broken, and extracting just the tower parts leaves me with an umbilical tower that is broken beyond belief. Not only does the retraction animation not work (the arm is already retracted when you attach it, although it's rotation is correct), but they just love to break off the rocket for no reason at all. When I launched Gemini 3 I had three umbilical arms, all three fell off before launch.

3 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Also, does anyone know where I can find a working copy of FASA launch towers? The download link on the forum thread is broken, and extracting just the tower parts leaves me with an umbilical tower that is broken beyond belief. Not only does the retraction animation not work (the arm is already retracted when you attach it, although it's rotation is correct), but they just love to break off the rocket for no reason at all. When I launched Gemini 3 I had three umbilical arms, all three fell off before launch.

Ive just discovered something Cobalt should to...

(Before you kill me... Im joking. :P )

3 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

Ive just discovered something Cobalt should to...

(Before you kill me... Im joking. :P )

Well actually clamps are in the roadmap, so......

EDIT: Unless he took them out. I'm too lazy to check.

Edited by minepagan

1 minute ago, Avalon304 said:

Just the hold down clamps, no mention of the towers.

You know, I think that Real KSC mod works in stock now. The only reason I don't have it yet is because I'm not sure (and too lazy to check) if it works in SSRSS.