[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Happy to help. I'm actually going to spend tomorrow beating on the poor K-P0110 IVA to get it more Apollo-esqe. First thing is getting rid of that dang shelf and putting storage drawers and such from the Hitchhiker to give it a more cramped look.

@CobaltWolf this is an awesome mod you've developed!

I downloaded the beta for 1.0 and couldnt get KSP to load past he agenaAntenna part. When I remove the two files associated with that part, the game gets stuck on loading the agenaPort part.

Can you (or anybody else) help me get the game to load so I can use your awesome mod?

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Thinking the wrong direction. :wink:

EDIT: Just a specific callout here, thanks to @Daelkyr for making an IVA for the 5 kerb Apollo pod, and thanks to @Araym for making RPM configs for both Apollo IVAs!

What about modifying the MEM (SINA) IVA for a three crewed MEM Taxi?

18 minutes ago, ILikeIke said:

@CobaltWolf this is an awesome mod you've developed!

I downloaded the beta for 1.0 and couldnt get KSP to load past he agenaAntenna part. When I remove the two files associated with that part, the game gets stuck on loading the agenaPort part.

Can you (or anybody else) help me get the game to load so I can use your awesome mod?

The 1.0 beta is built for KSP 1.2's beta. There are new part categories in 1.2; an incorrect category in the part.cfg is one of the things that breaks the whole game instead of just the part. Seems a bit strange to me, since most part.cfg issues will just make the part not load.

@davidy12 prolly not happening.

@Daelkyr sounds awesome! While you're at it, maybe try and make sure the windows match the ones on our model? :)

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

The 1.0 beta is built for KSP 1.2's beta. There are new part categories in 1.2; an incorrect category in the part.cfg is one of the things that breaks the whole game instead of just the part. Seems a bit strange to me, since most part.cfg issues will just make the part not load.

So if I'm playing on 1.1.3, what's the most recent version I can use that I can download from Github?

2 minutes ago, ILikeIke said:

So if I'm playing on 1.1.3, what's the most recent version I can use that I can download from Github?

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/releases/

The 0.11.2 download works in 1.1.3, but it has a VERY old version of the Apollo, it might have an old LEM, and the Saturn is untextured. We are working really hard to try and get everything working well in the new KSP release; it didn't make sense to try and backport everything to 1.1.3. The 0.11 'Vaquero' release is the last stable release for 1.1.3.

That looks amazing!

The only way I'm going to be able to get the CSM windows to match up is to just make a new IVA for it. So... there's something to do tomorrow. (I'm sure my wife won't mind...)

Is there any way to tweak the Block III SM to have the CoM for the how CM/SM stack to pull down into the SM can? It's currently difficult to perform a TD&E unless you have the RCS thrusters siting right on the edge between the Decoupler and the CM.

28 minutes ago, Daelkyr said:

Is there any way to tweak the Block III SM to have the CoM for the how CM/SM stack to pull down into the SM can? It's currently difficult to perform a TD&E unless you have the RCS thrusters siting right on the edge between the Decoupler and the CM.

It needs to be heavier than the pod to accomplish that. Even shifting the CoM all the way down to the bottom node leaves the vessel CoM at the decoupler.

Given that it doesn't have cargo bays or anything, it can legitimately hold 1100 units of fuel, so it's a bit under fueled for it's size. That would add mass.

The engines have their CoM even with the butt plate. Shifting that south might help a little.

The block 3 fuel almost certainly needs adjusting, as it was me in the middle of the night applying the "yeah, that's about right" algorithm of config creation. I quite cleverly cut the block 2 fuel load in half, as near to a whole number I could find.

if it needs more fuel, that's cool, but the engines need a look if so, as the TWR for most is going to be low. (I know they are on the radar, I'm not trying to be a nag)

Moar fuel + engines would probably help the CoM, as mentioned. 

So I'm guessing that we're diverging our path to the Eyes Turned Skywards parts now? Cool.

7 hours ago, komodo said:

Moar fuel + engines would probably help the CoM, as mentioned. 

Or batteries. the ETS block III had loads of batteries instead of a fuel cell, If I'm Remembering right.

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

20 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The adapter exists in Tantares IIRC (it's orange looking) and Contares has an APAS 75. It's not on my to-do list; there's a lot of other stuff I'd like to do.

Beale made it for Mir, shuttle docking port or something like that, but yes, you're right, it might work :wink:

QL7Eexo.png

I think you already saw this, @CobaltWolf, and in the hope of a full set of "block" versions, a bit of images about various Apollos from Eyes turned skyward (from here):

fetch.php?cache=&media=timelines:apollos

... needed:

• a little bigger SM for block IV-V
  • a single dish and a double dish antenna (... yopu just use the actual Block 2 antenna and move dishes :P)
  • the solar panels, maybe to be mounted "behind" the SM (to the engine side) rather than on the side of the SM itself (I see them like unfolding from a similar position like the apollo antenna)

@Araym don't worry I have all the ETS Apollo stuff planned out. That will be the bulk of the early Apollo expansions. I have some other stuff that I'd like to do as well, just interesting bits I've found pictures of. If anyone has any other cool Apollo CSM derived stuff they want me to do, I'm all ears.

@Jso @komodo any chance the balance could be resolved by Tuesday? :)

@Drakenex nice! I feel like the guide fins on that are a bit small though. Is that the CONTARES APAS-75?

@Rory Yammomoto apparently that's what I'm doing? I'm really just taking things one part at a time right now, doing what I feel like.

14 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Araym don't worry I have all the ETS Apollo stuff planned out. That will be the bulk of the early Apollo expansions. I have some other stuff that I'd like to do as well, just interesting bits I've found pictures of. If anyone has any other cool Apollo CSM derived stuff they want me to do, I'm all ears.

@Jso @komodo any chance the balance could be resolved by Tuesday? :)

@Drakenex nice! I feel like the guide fins on that are a bit small though. Is that the CONTARES APAS-75?

@Rory Yammomoto apparently that's what I'm doing? I'm really just taking things one part at a time right now, doing what I feel like.

@CobaltWolf it is the Contares APAS and the Contares radial Tanks :)

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

@CobaltWolf if you're going to done expansions. Excuse me if you considered this already or proposed it. But if you are going to start doing expansions and proposed stuff that never existed I think it's time you start considering different packs. I think as it stands now it should be BDB Core. Everything else should be separate especially the ETS stuff. That being said it never hurt @Beale to just throw everything in one pack. Well two launchers and everything else. It's up to you.

What you have created is a complete stock replacement. If you don't mind the kerbalized classics asthetic then you really don't need any other mods. So what I am saying is that you can and should now start your own branches.

1 minute ago, sp1989 said:

@CobaltWolf if you're going to done expansions. Excuse me if you considered this already or proposed it. But if you are going to start doing expansions and proposed stuff that never existed I think it's time you start considering different packs. I think as it stands now it should be BDB Core. Everything else should be separate especially the ETS stuff. That being said it never hurt @Beale to just throw everything in one pack. Well two launchers and everything else. It's up to you.

What you have created is a complete stock replacement. If you don't mind the kerbalized classics asthetic then you really don't need any other mods. So what I am saying is that you can and should now start your own branches.

The wrench in that plan, unfortunately, is that so many of the parts share textures with other parts elsewhere. If I wanted to continue working on Apollo bits, for example, they'd have to go in the Apollo folder. I've made it clear before that I would be willing to release a sort of 'BDB-Core' download but I would need someone else to prepare + maintain it; trying to keep multiple separate mods (and especially try and split BDB at this point) would be a lot of work that I would rather not do in my free time. :P

4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

The wrench in that plan, unfortunately, is that so many of the parts share textures with other parts elsewhere. If I wanted to continue working on Apollo bits, for example, they'd have to go in the Apollo folder. I've made it clear before that I would be willing to release a sort of 'BDB-Core' download but I would need someone else to prepare + maintain it; trying to keep multiple separate mods (and especially try and split BDB at this point) would be a lot of work that I would rather not do in my free time. :P

Alrighty then! It shouldn't be a problem like I said if this mod appeals to someone most likely they aren't gonna need or want any other mods anyway.