[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Just now, billbobjebkirk said:

Well, the SLS will have such an abort system, so I feel significantly more comfortable with the use of SRBs. Also when the SLS was initially created, the plan was to eventually replace the solid rocket boosters with LRBs, but it looks like that will not happen anytime in the near future.

I don't think cancelling the shuttle so prematurely was the best decision and an even worse one is handcuffing NASA with those limited parts. We can't keep building rockets to nowhere because congress has DOD friends that they want to keep happy. All the Mars plans have been "in 20 years" This is just short enough to look achieveable and just long enough where a president can say it and then it's cancelled by the next term. Kennnedy said we're doing this by the end of the decade and look what happened. We did it. We didn't say "Do it with this money and this time and these parts" we said "Do it with this money and this time"

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

Let's focus on happier times, nyeh?

~snip~ 

How do you embed like that?

1 minute ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

We should have never gotten the shuttle to begin with. @e of pi's story seems much more successful without it.

ETS should be taken with a grain of salt. It's very optimistic and things probably wouldn't go that smoothly in real life. That being said, I do think we'd be much better off without the shuttle. It won't get rid of my nostalgia for it nonetheless

2 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

We should have never gotten the shuttle to begin with. @e of pi's story seems much more successful without it.

You should uhh, stay on topic. Plus I like the way that Rick Houston put it, to paraphrase, the Shuttle program as 100% needed, but it had it's time and it needed to be cancelled.

Did a bit of noodling, just to see how the geometry would work out. Not an 'immediate priority' as it were. :) As in, don't expect it in this update. I'm going to model Skylab/Spacelab for a bit now.

Q1UyOaZ.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

I know you have a ton of various things you're working on, but are you ever thinking of adding the UK's Black Arrow? Its not a particularly useful rocket, but still neat.

blackar.jpg  8bfa529fd60d18b5a4f713187b73f681.jpg 

11 minutes ago, Jall said:

I know you have a ton of various things you're working on, but are you ever thinking of adding the UK's Black Arrow? Its not a particularly useful rocket, but still neat.

blackar.jpg  8bfa529fd60d18b5a4f713187b73f681.jpg 

Beale already has a really good one in Tantares. I think I mistakenly asked Cobalt how to build it properly once, having completely forgotten it wasn't in his mod.

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

2 minutes ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Beale already has a really good one in Tantares. I think I mistakenly asked Cobalt how to build it properly one, having completely forgotten it wasn't in his mod.

Thanks! I'll have to see if I can build it (Without taking an hour looking through parts of course).

34 minutes ago, Jall said:

Oh, myself, @Beale, and some other modders have big plans for UK rockets... and not just real ones either. Stay tuned :wink:

On a related note, jumping back and forth from Saturn to Apollo to Saturn to Vega to Centaur to Apollo to Scout to Saturn to Skylab has completely destroyed my sense of scale. I have no idea how big things are relative to each other now. Perhaps some graphics would help? :)

41 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh, myself, @Beale, and some other modders have big plans for UK rockets... and not just real ones either. Stay tuned :wink:

On a related note, jumping back and forth from Saturn to Apollo to Saturn to Vega to Centaur to Apollo to Scout to Saturn to Skylab has completely destroyed my sense of scale. I have no idea how big things are relative to each other now. Perhaps some graphics would help? :)

What's your process for determining sizes? Is it as simple as multiply real size by a conversion factor and choose whatever common size is closest?

I think your titan is 1.875m and real titan was 3.05m, so ~0.6?

side note, I finally finished a spreadsheet that I need to relatively quickly assign stats to some solid motors.

I have to come up with Propellant, Web Fraction, Diameter, Propellant Mass Fraction, ThrustV (kN)

Reference a table for Propellant Density, ThrustSL (kN), IspSL (s), IspV (s)

and the spreadsheet spits out rescaleFactor, Height, Volume (L), Propellant Mass (kg), Loaded Mass (kg), Dry Mass (kg), Action Time (s), Total Impulse ( kN•s)

6 hours ago, Nnimrod said:

What's your process for determining sizes? Is it as simple as multiply real size by a conversion factor and choose whatever common size is closest?

I think your titan is 1.875m and real titan was 3.05m, so ~0.6?

side note, I finally finished a spreadsheet that I need to relatively quickly assign stats to some solid motors.

I have to come up with Propellant, Web Fraction, Diameter, Propellant Mass Fraction, ThrustV (kN)

Reference a table for Propellant Density, ThrustSL (kN), IspSL (s), IspV (s)

and the spreadsheet spits out rescaleFactor, Height, Volume (L), Propellant Mass (kg), Loaded Mass (kg), Dry Mass (kg), Action Time (s), Total Impulse ( kN•s)

Close, the actual conversion factor is 0.64, or 64%. After that, yiu round the number up or down towards the closest stock compatible size.