[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm not sure, if you're not using a 64x (that's 6.4 times) system rescale you can just delete that folder.

I am using KScale 64, maybe the problem is with that. I don't think it's been updated recently

I am now playing BDB 'as it's supposed to be played' - on a 2.5x rescale system. However, with this, Titan II GLV is impossible. I almost always come up a couple of hundred metres per second short of the 3400 m/s for orbit. Any ways to mitigate this problem?

There is also another problem - the GLV seems a bit sluggish for a re-purposed missile. I think the weight is a problem - it's too heavy.

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

1 hour ago, TheRedTom said:

I am using KScale 64, maybe the problem is with that. I don't think it's been updated recently

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh, I'm gonna have to call in backup then. @Jso why did you (and solely you, not me) make broken configs? :)

While I'm thinking of it, we still need a 4.25m-2.5m SLA for 6.4x. @TheRedTom delete the folder. I'm not sure what's going on in there with KScale64. The yet to be released stuff on git is working pretty well for rescales, you might to try that.

1 hour ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

I am now playing BDB 'as it's supposed to be played' - on a 2.5x rescale system. However, with this, Titan II GLV is impossible. I almost always come up a couple of hundred metres per second short of the 3400 m/s for orbit. Any ways to mitigate this problem?

There is also another problem - the GLV seems a bit sluggish for a re-purposed missile. I think the weight is a problem - it's too heavy.

Except for you apparently, I assume your using the github files. How much MonoProp is in your Gemini SM? There's a "better" titan in the extras folder that's a bit spunkier.

23 minutes ago, Jso said:

Except for you apparently, I assume your using the github files. How much MonoProp is in your Gemini SM? There's a "better" titan in the extras folder that's a bit spunkier.

Half full. And if by 'better' you mean the Titan III or IV.... Oh wait.

How to install?
EDIT: Erm... this looks like a less powerful titan. Decreasing tank density... increasing the length, sure to make it heavier... You sure about this? Unless reading the comments, you are referring to the opposite of what I think you are...

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

26 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

Half full. And if by 'better' you mean the Titan III or IV.... Oh wait.

How to install?
EDIT: Erm... this looks like a less powerful titan. Decreasing tank density... increasing the length, sure to make it heavier... You sure about this? Unless reading the comments, you are referring to the opposite of what I think you are...

Copy titan.cfg anywhere you like under GameData. It's slightly shorter, less fuel, a little lighter. The SM's dry mass is reduced with that oversized 300 MonoProp tank cut down to 100. What can I say, it works. It definitely makes orbit in 2.5x. This is with 100 MP:

cDCXGOE.png

6 minutes ago, Jso said:

Copy titan.cfg anywhere you like under GameData. It's slightly shorter, less fuel, a little lighter. The SM's dry mass is reduced with that oversized 300 MonoProp tank cut down to 100. What can I say, it works. It definitely makes orbit in 2.5x. This is with 100 MP:

OK. I'll chalk up the fact that I only barely made orbit with the SM to 'pilot error', 'expecting things to go like a Scout' and 'Jeremy Clarkson throttle'.

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

3 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

OK. I'll chalk up the fact that I only barely made orbit with the SM to 'pilot error', 'expecting things to go like a Scout' and 'Jeremy Clarkson throttle'.

Gemini on the GLV is only rated for LKO as well... but in 3.2x. You shouldn't have issues with 2.5.

Hey guys, I have returned after a break I and see very good things!

The GSA has a cooperative mission to provide the world with the first space station built under Soviet manufacturing yards, but they lack the capability to put the station into orbit... The United States has offered to provide the necessary booster; the Saturn IB as a deal arose to bring an unspecified number of  U.S. Astronauts to the station during it's orbital lifespan.

sJKZkBX.png

jcMeV5K.png

5 hours ago, Abrecan said:

Hey guys, I have returned after a break I and see very good things!

The GSA has a cooperative mission to provide the world with the first space station built under Soviet manufacturing yards, but they lack the capability to put the station into orbit... The United States has offered to provide the necessary booster; the Saturn IB as a deal arose to bring an unspecified number of  U.S. Astronauts to the station during its orbital lifespan.

I just gave this a try myself. So much for missing the Proton! The Saturn IB works a treat for this task. I'm sure she'll have no trouble at all with the TKS as well.

DMGpJnX.png

Edited by Jack Wolfe

5 hours ago, Rock3tman_ said:

I know IRL that the Saturn 1B was only supposed to make orbit with a partially fueled CSM, but even half fueled I can't seem to make orbit in my 3.2x rescale of GPP. Is this an ascent profile thing or should it just not be orbit-capable in a 3.2x system?

IRL they only fueled it about 20% AFAIK, you could try removing more fuel.

Edited by Hay

1 minute ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

Did they ever return?

Actualy if I was more accurate with the landing they could have got back in orbit, dock with MOS II, refuel the Vinci a bit and get back to Kerbin. However, currently I'm sending another Vinci spacecraft to get them back. The landing module should be able to get the craft to surface, and Vinci itself is capable of returning from Mun. I'm playing in 2x kerbin, so in stock that would be much easier :)

1 minute ago, Kuu Lightwing said:

Actualy if I was more accurate with the landing they could have got back in orbit, dock with MOS II, refuel the Vinci a bit and get back to Kerbin. However, currently I'm sending another Vinci spacecraft to get them back. The landing module should be able to get the craft to surface, and Vinci itself is capable of returning from Mun. I'm playing in 2x kerbin, so in stock that would be much easier :)

A couple of questions:

• How did you get the thing up to the Mun? I can barely get my Titan-Leo up to LEO and dock with my Space Station at 300Km (I call it George). How did you get it to a point where it had enough to not only land, but also return?
  • MOS II? you put a MOS around the Mun? Again, how? I haven't even gotten Apollo to the Mun correctly (I do attribute that to a reproducible human error problem, though) Did you send it up monolithically, or if you did make it out of modules, did you assemble around Kerbin or the Mun?

10 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

A couple of questions:

• How did you get the thing up to the Mun? I can barely get my Titan-Leo up to LEO and dock with my Space Station at 300Km (I call it George). How did you get it to a point where it had enough to not only land, but also return?
  • MOS II? you put a MOS around the Mun? Again, how? I haven't even gotten Apollo to the Mun correctly (I do attribute that to a reproducible human error problem, though) Did you send it up monolithically, or if you did make it out of modules, did you assemble around Kerbin or the Mun?

Well, this is what I use for my Mun Vinci missions - it's a Prometheus II with two extra Prometheus SRBs:

133d02efb5f0432a8d93d4b0312694f2.png

After inserting into Mun's orbit it has about 500 dV left, so I can initiate the Mun landing maneuver and shed off some speed. Also, for Mun missions Vinci is fully fueled, so it has about 1200 dV, so that makes it 1700 in total, with Mun orbital velocity about 700-800, which makes it theoretically possible to land and return. The craft sitting on the Mun currently has ~650 dV so it just barely misses it.

As for MOS - it's simple:

Rpx6dCh.jpg

Six Prometheus III launches - two for station parts, one for propulsion module (modified Prometheus upper stage) and three for extra fuel tanks. That was enough Dv to bring it to low Mun orbit.

Another circumlunar Gemini launch profile to consider is stacking an Agena in top of Centaur and lobbing them into orbit on a Saturn 1/1B. Then dock your Gemini to the Agena/Centaur stack and you're good for lunar orbit missions. Centaur does the TLI and Agena performs lunar capture and escape.

Well, turns out rescue craft doesn't have enough Dv to get back to Kerbin, but I brought those poor kerbals to MOS II. And apparently the station doesn't really have monopropellant storage big enough to refuel Vinci, so they'll sit there for now. It's fine, it can support 7 kerbals, while there's only 5 now.

http://imgur.com/a/pqmou

yXtUQQU.png

Space Station Freedom. Thanks to @Drakenex for the Block IV MM. @benjee10 and @cxg2827 for the stationparts, and finally @CobaltWolf and @VenomousRequiem for the CSM and science parts. Also @DMagic for some of the parts on the science rack. 

FYI: I kind of made a little mistake. IE: I put the radiator in the main habitat can/core upside down. (It's how I saw the Core was positioned during the first expedition. So it's a nitpick, but who cares.)

Also, I will add, I gave up on trying to assemble the truss section by section with the robotic arm, so I just launched it with the core. Also, I used stock docking ports because the APAS/CADS docking ports are a pain to get them lined up. All the other parts were launched via AARDV Tug. 

Edited by davidy12

@davidy12 That's awesome! Is the Block IV MM as simple as using Tweakscale or is there some other witchcraft involved :P

@Hay Thanks for the advice, my CSM reached orbit by a very narrow margin. Either my ascent was still less efficient than it could have been or the Saturn 1B is really inefficient. Fortunately the Saturn 1C is far less close.

Just now, Rock3tman_ said:

@davidy12 That's awesome! Is the Block IV MM as simple as using Tweakscale or is there some other witchcraft involved :P

Copy the Block III MM Cfg file. Then do this:

name = bluedog_Apollo_Block4_MissionModule

model = Bluedog_DB/Parts/Apollo/bluedog_Apollo_Block3_MissionModule
    scale = 1, 0.8, 1
rescaleFactor = 1.3333
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.7895192, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.7895192, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2