[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

@slaintemaith

Your difficulty is a result of increased drag forces.

It's like this, you can drive your truck 100km on a full tank of gas.  But, tie a 1t rock to the back and you can only go 50km. 

In both cases, you are still driving until your tank is empty; it's the additional drag of the rock that's reducing your mileage.

2 hours ago, damonvv said:

Are you tired of wasting all that :funds:on a Saturn 5, to only use it once? Say hello to Saturn 5 FT, A fully reusable first, second and third stage rocket!

l9ofD8k.png

Don't just tease us like that... Give us a craft file or something! :D

2 hours ago, damonvv said:

Edited by MaverickSawyer
Stupid mobile interface...

6 hours ago, TranceaddicT said:

@slaintemaith

Your difficulty is a result of increased drag forces.

It's like this, you can drive your truck 100km on a full tank of gas.  But, tie a 1t rock to the back and you can only go 50km. 

In both cases, you are still driving until your tank is empty; it's the additional drag of the rock that's reducing your mileage.

Sad to say in this case that is not the issue.   The Payload is the same between both rockets.  the ONLY difference is one part is swapped for the other.  

@CobaltWolf @ferram4  I THINK I know what is wrong here.  Cobalt you correctly removed the big shroud housing off of the LR-101.  They don't fly with them IRL.   Without that air-cover you are exposing several parts that are at straight right angles to each other and many that are directly in the slipstream of air around the rocket.   This would exponentially increase the drag co-efficient through interference drag as well as parasitic drag (I am probably missing a form of drag here as well!.)  In layman terms you went from something that was aerodynamic to a real brick wall.  Ferram4, is there a way to have a part NOT calculated for Drag purposes?  I have not use FAR in a while so I am a bit rusty on it's workings.

@Mike`  Did you try flying the OLD Atlas vs the NEW Atlas with the same payload and the old LR-101s on both?   Simplified test.  You don't even need to stage the LR-89s off the Atlas to test this.   Do a vertical climb.  Record Apogee.   Rinse and repeat for all three Atlas variants [Old Atlas, New Atlas with old LR-101, New Atlas with new LR-101.]   It might take a launch adjusting the fuel load down (or more mass on the payload) until you keep the rocket from Exiting Kerbin's SOI.  Just make certain all three rockets have the same fuel load when you test them.

Edited by Pappystein
-rm lines

15 hours ago, Pappystein said:

This would exponentially increase the drag co-efficient through interference drag as well as parasitic drag (I am probably missing a form of drag here as well!.)  In layman terms you went from something that was aerodynamic to a real brick wall.  Ferram4, is there a way to have a part NOT calculated for Drag purposes?  I have not use FAR in a while so I am a bit rusty on it's workings.

If FAR calculates/estimates the higher drag correctly, then there is nothing wrong/nothing to fix, i guess. The unfixed LR-101 was clearly broken drag-wise, i haven't seen the fixed part yet and how much more drag it has compared to the old LR-101.

15 hours ago, Pappystein said:

@Mike`  Did you try flying the OLD Atlas vs the NEW Atlas with the same payload and the old LR-101s on both?   Simplified test.  You don't even need to stage the LR-89s off the Atlas to test this.   Do a vertical climb.  Record Apogee.   Rinse and repeat for all three Atlas variants [Old Atlas, New Atlas with old LR-101, New Atlas with new LR-101.]   It might take a launch adjusting the fuel load down (or more mass on the payload) until you keep the rocket from Exiting Kerbin's SOI.  Just make certain all three rockets have the same fuel load when you test them.

I cannot try flying a new atlas because the unfixed new LR101 has so much drag the rocket immediately crashes.

Edited by Mike`

2 hours ago, Mike` said:

If FAR calculates/estimates the higher drag correctly, then there is nothing wrong/nothing to fix, i guess. The unfixed LR-101 was clearly broken drag-wise, i haven't seen the fixed part yet and how much more drag it has compared to the old LR-101.

I cannot try flying a new atlas because the unfixed new LR101 has so much drag the rocket immediately crashes.

Mike, sorry. I wanted to upload it along with some other bug fixes last night but got caught up in updating SEP. Will be first thing when I get home tonight.

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Mike, sorry. I wanted to upload it along with some other bug fixes last night but got caught up in updating SEP. Will be first thing when I get home tonight.

Really no worries, take the time you need, i didn't want to sound impatient. I'm glad you found the wrong transform and now curious how the fixed/moved transform part behaves, but i'll happily wait until you get around to provide it. :)

After all, modding as a hobby shouldn't become stressful.

Edited by Mike`

2 hours ago, Xander930 said:

Progress! I converted my CAD model into what Inventor calls a "non-freeform faceted polygon shape" I've been trying to attach images, but can't figure out how.

You gotta upload them externally, I use Imgur. Either link the album or put the image URLs in individually.

3 hours ago, Mike` said:

Really no worries, take the time you need, i didn't want to sound impatient. I'm glad you found the wrong transform and now curious how the fixed/moved transform part behaves, but i'll happily wait until you get around to provide it. :)

After all, modding as a hobby shouldn't become stressful.

Ah, it becomes stressful because I never get to work on it as much / make as much progress as I'd like. :)

On 1/30/2018 at 7:45 AM, slaintemaith said:

I didn't focus on any issue.  If I use the deprecated 101s and FAR: I get into orbit.  If remove the new 101s and use FAR: I get into orbit.  If I add the new 101s and use FAR, I don't.  If I add them and disable them and use FAR: I don't.  If I add them and disable FAR: I do.  If I'm honest, I don't understand the rocketry aspects of it as much as "do thing: thing works/thing doesn't work: note result."  I leave it to smarter heads to interpret the data.

FWIW, I can confirm that the new verniers mess up FAR.  If I look at the debug voxels in the VAB, the Atlas looks fine until I add the verniers.  Then the voxels appear only just above the top of the craft and just below the engines.  If I pull the verniers off again, the voxels look fine.  So it appears that there's something about those specific models that FAR does not like.

2 hours ago, MOARdV said:

FWIW, I can confirm that the new verniers mess up FAR.  If I look at the debug voxels in the VAB, the Atlas looks fine until I add the verniers.  Then the voxels appear only just above the top of the craft and just below the engines.  If I pull the verniers off again, the voxels look fine.  So it appears that there's something about those specific models that FAR does not like.

reuse the voxel config of the deprecated vernier? """""""""""""""""""""""""""might""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" work i mean i have no idea

15 hours ago, MOARdV said:

That issue has been fixed, I just haven't been at my home computer for about 2 days now, some small IRL drama going on.

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

That issue has been fixed, I just haven't been at my home computer for about 2 days now, some small IRL drama going on.

Ah, okay.  Sorry.  I remembered seeing it being discussed a few days back, but I haven't kept close tabs on this thread, so I didn't see that there was already a solution.

Just now, MOARdV said:

Ah, okay.  Sorry.  I remembered seeing it being discussed a few days back, but I haven't kept close tabs on this thread, so I didn't see that there was already a solution.

Oh, not a problem at all. Just wanted to let you know a fix has been developed before you or anyone else hurts themselves trying to fix it :)

Although the Atlas rocket doesn't lose control like it used to, it still cannot make orbit once the 101s are added.  Remove them, and everything's fine.  The aerodynamic overlay still disappears when you add the 101s.  And the 'skirt' for the Buzzard engines still 'sticks' to the rocket, even though the retrorockets fire for it.

The 101s are positioned as high as they can be and are in no way touching the skirt.

Yup, I'm using 1.4.2.  Yup, I updated all dependencies.

Also: correct me if I'm wrong, but the new LM IVA has -fewer- functional controls in it?

Edited by slaintemaith

On 1/30/2018 at 9:37 AM, damonvv said:

Are you tired of wasting all that :funds:on a Saturn 5, to only use it once? Say hello to Saturn 5 FT, A fully reusable first, second and third stage rocket!

l9ofD8k.png

Impressive.  Resuable Saturn V?  Why not?

Now we just need reusable Novas and a reusable Sea Dragon.  Reuse everything!