[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

What is OMSK? Just curious...

It's a bit old now, it was a mod with a stockalike Atlas and redstone, very nice at the time but his dev almost abandonned it because of personnal stuff.
Anyway you still can find it here !

27 minutes ago, hieywiey said:

How is the LDC coming along? Versions of the Titan engines that don't have that base would be nice (kind of like how the J-2 and F-1 are).

I believe a 5 point mount for the first stage is in the works. The base on the Titan single engines are switchable. Look on the right click menu.

14 hours ago, viperwolf said:

@CobaltWolf Man your avatar gets me every time i see it.   :-)

Thanks! I chose it since I hoped it would brighten people's day whenever I posted.

13 hours ago, hieywiey said:

How is the LDC coming along? Versions of the Titan engines that don't have that base would be nice (kind of like how the J-2 and F-1 are).

12 hours ago, Jso said:

I believe a 5 point mount for the first stage is in the works. The base on the Titan single engines are switchable. Look on the right click menu.

I took the better part of a week off from dev work to let the DLC dust settle (also was busy playing Stellaris...). I need to do some prototyping on the engine mount to verify the method we wanted to use (one part that switches the number of nodes) works the way we hope/need.

I'd like to revamp the Titan engines (and the Saturn ones, for that matter) as part of the LDC work, since then I could have nicer/more accurate models and also make them compatible with single mounting options from the get-go, which hopefully would feed into the LDC parts looking nicer..? I already started to remodel them during some down time at the office, here's the Titan-1 engines without the signature shroud. However, doing so would be a pretty significant time investment.

Q4GPvL3.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

About to give this a go, I'm curious if my experience would be better (aka challenging yet still fun) if I used a bigger solar system, like 2.5x, or if these parts are balanced for the stock size system. I also have OPM installed. Thanks!

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

1 hour ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

About to give this a go, I'm curious if my experience would be better (aka challenging yet still fun) if I used a bigger solar system, like 2.5x, or if these parts are balanced for the stock size system. I also have OPM installed. Thanks!

As the OP says, it's balanced with stock parts in mind, not the stock system. So it's best to play in a 2.5x system to get a more balanced experience for these parts (e.g. An Bossart-Belle (Atlas-Agena) lunar impactor probe may have enough dV to go on a Duna/Eve flyby in the stock scale.)

I hope this helps you get an idea of how BDB is balanced :D

Edited by T-10a

16 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

15 hours ago, T-10a said:

As the OP says, it's balanced with stock parts in mind, not the stock system. So it's best to play in a 2.5x system to get a more balanced experience for these parts (e.g. An Bossart-Belle (Atlas-Agena) lunar impactor probe may have enough dV to go on a Duna/Eve flyby in the stock scale.)

I hope this helps you get an idea of how BDB is balanced :D

Indeed, a 2x to 3.2x rescale is probably best. I don't remember which ones are still around/updated. Personally I play with 2.5x rescaled SSRSS but I'll be damned if I can remember how I got that working... LIke T-10a said, doing so means that your rockets will need pretty correct mass fractions to be able to do missions. That incidentally means that most mods balanced against the stock parts (Tantares, for instance) will also be balanced properly.

16 hours ago, j-tk said:

Does this work with 1.4 and the new xpac?  This has been one of my all time favorites!  Thanks!

I have not heard otherwise, make sure that the dependencies are updated if need be! :)

4 hours ago, Well said:

I call it "Rango" :D

That's awesome! Love it!

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I have not heard otherwise, make sure that the dependencies are updated if need be! :)

I believe DMagic Science Animate has been updated (not verified yet) but as of yesterday mid-day B9PartSwitch was not...

======Just installed on a fresh copy of 1.4.1 to check dependencies=======

I had no issues with the latest MASTER copy of BDB plus MM 3.0.5 and the game loads just fine.  I will update this if there are any weird issues I see in game play.

and I was wrong, DMagic Science Animate is not affected so it has not been updated

Edited by Pappystein
status of Dmagic Science Animate

I just stumbled upon something not so serious but still a little annoying:

The BDB manuel Eagle edition.pdf contains the default naming scheme, but I use the GameData\Bluedog_DB_Extras\Real_Names\realnames.cfg

Would it be possible to release a 2nd pdf using the realnames-scheme?

Don't be mad with me, just a question. :wink:

4 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I just stumbled upon something not so serious but still a little annoying:

The BDB manuel Eagle edition.pdf contains the default naming scheme, but I use the GameData\Bluedog_DB_Extras\Real_Names\realnames.cfg

Would it be possible to release a 2nd pdf using the realnames-scheme?

Don't be mad with me, just a question. :wink:

The author of the PDF has had trouble finding time to update it due to university, etc. We are looking into moving fully to using the Wiki functionality on our GitHub, it is possible but not likely that will be possible there. Of course, with all these things, they require time and generally speaking the overall feedback we get is to concentrate on new parts and features.

20 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@1.4.1:

After I started a new test career I recognized something not belonging to BDB in the first place:

I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to say with this post? BDB includes compatibility for RealPlume-Stock that we maintain on our own end, but you need RealPlume and SmokeScreen installed for the configs to activate.

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to say with this post? BDB includes compatibility for RealPlume-Stock that we maintain on our own end, but you need RealPlume and SmokeScreen installed for the configs to activate.

Of course I got RealPlume, Real Plume-Stock and SmokeScreen installed.

I just wondered what has to be done with the RealPlume config - including the one you provided in your mod - to have exhaust sound on these specific SRBs ...

Just now, Gordon Dry said:

I just wondered what has to be done with the RealPlume config - including the one you provided in your mod - to have exhaust sound on these specific SRBs ...

Sincerest apologies! I didn't realize you had linked a specific post - on my screen it just looked like you had linked the RealPlume thread until just now when I saw the fine print. Sorry, I really don't know anything about that stuff past just making the bare minimum compatibility configs (which just amount to selecting what plume you want and adjusting the position).

31 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

I think you figured it out. Did this not work in 1.4.x?

So I just did a humble crash course find & replace over the last 3 files and replaced all instances of MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST by MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST.

On 3/2/2018 at 6:11 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Like the ones on the Apollo mission modules and the Skylab MDA? Yeah I could do that :)

I totally missed this!

Yeah, just like the ones on the Apollo mission docking modules.  I'm a bit obsessive with my docking rotation orientation and love the target to help me align straight .  Thanks for taking suggestions, this is defiantly my most used mod :)

Edited by Bjalfi
Adding to post, thanking moder

3 hours ago, Bjalfi said:

I totally missed this!

Yeah, just like the ones on the Apollo mission docking modules.  I'm a bit obsessive with my docking rotation orientation and love the target to help me align straight .  Thanks for taking suggestions, this is defiantly my most used mod :)

Do the ones currently in the mod actually help? I did not do any real research on them, or make sure that they actually 'worked' - I just modeled it from a picture and stuck it on. If they can be changed to be more useful that would be good feedback. Also, if I remember the Apollo docking port should do angle snapping and only dock at specified angles anyways?