[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

@CobaltWolf @linuxgurugamer I just replaced all instances of category = Propulsion by category = Engine in all .cfg inside the BDB folders.

Now everything works (nearly*) as intended:

Hovering over the PartCommander entry of Soltan Solid Rocket Booster inside the Engines section (mouse cursor not included, get it for 6.95€)
BCfOK4p.png

Just launching the thing:
E7NTpfi.png

*Unfortunately the SmartParts trigger didn't work, it just staged away without waiting until the boosters solid fuel is down to 19% - perhaps it was MechJeb just doing that straight away...

Edited by Gordon Dry

16 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Remove Mechjeb and try again

At first I just wanted to try to trick out MechJeb and set the staging limit to 7 instead of 6 ...

Edit:

Yeah, that worked well - just had to manually stage the boosters away which also went well thank to enough seperatrons at 45° pitch :D

Edited by Gordon Dry

23 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Been busy the last 48 hours or so, planning and then executing a dash down to DC for an afternoon. I took a lot of blurry pictures.

But, here are pics of Thor-Delta, the LM, and Apollo (CobaltWolf for scale)

41583824252_c44dce8c6a_h.jpg27754504268_1ab3cf288a_h.jpg41622847071_4e108a9051_h.jpg

Dang it, That's practically my backyard. Why am I living vicariously through you when I can just get on a combination of trains and buses? I mean, I am pretty lazy and it costs a lot to get there, but still, I haven't been to Goodard in a long time....

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

Just now, notJebKerman said:

@CobaltWolf With the Atlas V revamp, are you planning to also add foam-covered Centaur?

Yes, my intent is to revamp the textures used on the two extended length Centaur tanks to bring them in line with BDB's art style, and make them available in both white and orange.

On 4/23/2018 at 12:53 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Been busy the last 48 hours or so, planning and then executing a dash down to DC for an afternoon. I took a lot of blurry pictures.

41583824252_c44dce8c6a_h.jpg27754504268_1ab3cf288a_h.jpg41622847071_4e108a9051_h.jpg

Naww...u see Australia is a boring ass country with NO rocketry what so ever, however we do have a V-2 in Canberra but lol... second place on my bucket list is at the national air and space museum (first is NASA)

On 4/22/2018 at 7:53 AM, CobaltWolf said:

-regrettable picsnip-

Ah, you've made The Pilgrimage. Did you happen to make it out to the Udvar-Hazy annex?

11 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Ah, you've made The Pilgrimage. Did you happen to make it out to the Udvar-Hazy annex?

Naw, not enough time. We had one day to do it and that included a minimum of 8 hours travel time. Going to U-H would have added at least 3 more. Not to mention the window we'd have to do it in - they aren't open 24/7! :)

5 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Fair points, those. Next time, then. It's absolutely worth the trip.

I've seen it once but that was before they added all the new space installations. I am seeing how doable a second trip this summer would be just to go there. :)

8 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Niiiiice. I have uses for that much power. :D

6 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Can't wait to take that baby for a spin! Got lots of probes that need to be lofted at Sarnus, that are crying for the power of "five-SRB-goodness"... :)

Thanks guys! I was a bit worried when I sat down to work on it, since I wasn't sure what I wanted from it. I could kind of picture it, 'out of my peripheral vision', but couldn't see the direction clearly enough to know exactly what I had to do to achieve the look I wanted. I'm not 100% happy with it yet but it's pretty much there. :)

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Thanks guys! I was a bit worried when I sat down to work on it, since I wasn't sure what I wanted from it. I could kind of picture it, 'out of my peripheral vision', but couldn't see the direction clearly enough to know exactly what I had to do to achieve the look I wanted. I'm not 100% happy with it yet but it's pretty much there. :)

Whoot! Asymmetric thrust here we come!  Just for style we need to do the 1 srb version, because its just very kerbal to see it....I feel like that rocket is very kerbal.  Like someone's engine, some fuel, hey we need moar power add some srbs lol.  

3 minutes ago, debaker02 said:

Whoot! Asymmetric thrust here we come!  Just for style we need to do the 1 srb version, because its just very kerbal to see it....I feel like that rocket is very kerbal.  Like someone's engine, some fuel, hey we need moar power add some srbs lol.  

Yup! Actually, this is a good time to get some public feedback on my plan for how players will attach the SRBs. We had some internal discussions on the use of nodes, and I personally dislike the idea. Now, KSP surface attach, with snapping, work in increments of 15 degrees. If the player holds shift, it goes to a finer 5 degrees - this is sufficient for the two-side SRB mounts, which are offset +/- 20 degrees from cardinal (can't remember if that is X or Z - doesn't really matter since I can just rotate the models...). Also, remember that 'R' switches from radial symmetry to mirror symmetry, so you only need to place 3 boosters. The mounting brackets in the model of the Atlas V's version of the RD-180 help show where they attach.

Now, that solves the 'where to put around the circumference' question, but what about the vertical? See the image below (view image in new tab to see full size)

7a803946631635.585c10127ae52.jpg

Note the 'bottom' booster, where, even with the SRB mount on the core stage, there is that little 'trapezoid' shape that comes out. That is meant to line up with the SRB mount on the RD-180 skirt. The SRB mounts already have a hole cut out in them. I propose just adding a cylindrical peg sticking out of the trapezoid block, and that will allow the user to confirm that the vertical alignment is correct. Sound good to everyone? We're definitely out of stockalike territory here (and I've honestly made my peace with 'having to break a few eggs' if it allows something cool), but I feel this compromise allows the boosters to be used elsewhere without issue (since they do not attach via nodes).

5 minutes ago, hraban said:

Please remove the vertikal line on the top nosecone. with, the booster looks like a inverted banana-boat ;)

I wish I could, but where else would I put the UV seam? :P 

26 minutes ago, hraban said:

Please remove the vertikal line on the top nosecone. with, the booster looks like a inverted banana-boat ;)

Having seen how they make the nose cones, I second that motion. They're a single piece of carbon fiber.

As for the UV seam... How invisible can you make it? If it's pretty faint, I think there will be few comments.

11 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Can't wait to take that baby for a spin! Got lots of probes that need to be lofted at Sarnus, that are crying for the power of "five-SRB-goodness"... :)

Titan IVA/Centaur will do a good job, or Saturn Multibody H03-Centaur E. 3 tons direct to Neidon. 

I'm having a strange bug where none of the added science experiments (photograph, Geiger counter, ion trap, magnetometer, etc) actually do anything. In the VAB they're listed as having the experiments but in flight none of the parts actually have the option to perform an experiment. My first guess was that there was something wrong with DMagic Science Animate, but I've got it installed correctly. Tested it on 1.4.2 and 1.3.1.