[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

21 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

You could make EEX a dependency :D

No need :) Everything I described is doable easily using stock tools. I try to avoid dependencies - just healthier.

21 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Having seen how they make the nose cones, I second that motion. They're a single piece of carbon fiber.

As for the UV seam... How invisible can you make it? If it's pretty faint, I think there will be few comments.

Do you have any really good pictures of the nosecone manufacturing? I am not sure how I'd go about making it invisible. The front and back UV shells aren't the same shape or something. If anyone actually knows, this is something about texturing that has alluded me. I know how to get around it on say a 3D painting program like Mari but I don't use those for making KSP mods.

19 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

Titan IVA/Centaur will do a good job, or Saturn Multibody H03-Centaur E. 3 tons direct to Neidon.

19 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

I'm pretty sure even M02-Centaur is way more powerful than AV-551

Atlas V 551 can throw 5,000 kg to Mars. An M02 can throw 9,000 kg.

15 hours ago, Kablob said:

I'm having a strange bug where none of the added science experiments (photograph, Geiger counter, ion trap, magnetometer, etc) actually do anything. In the VAB they're listed as having the experiments but in flight none of the parts actually have the option to perform an experiment. My first guess was that there was something wrong with DMagic Science Animate, but I've got it installed correctly. Tested it on 1.4.2 and 1.3.1.

15 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

DMSA is surprisingly version dependent. I'd double check that you're using the version from BDB.

Hmmm, I haven't had a chance to check the experiments yet. If you can't figure it out, log an issue on the Github so we don't forget to look into it :)

1 hour ago, evilman222 said:

Any chance we can get textures with on-part writing in English instead of Russian? It's not a big deal, but it's a bit odd seeing American craft with Russian writing hahaha.

I don't have any intentions of releasing multiple versions of the textures. However, everyone, feel free to speak up. If people have feelings on it we could start a straw poll and see. I started doing it just because I thought it was amusing. If people really don't like it (I've had a couple people mention it to me in passing before) I'd be willing to stop putting it in and switch existing cyrillic back to english whenever I'm passing through those texture files.

As for the 'why', I like having the writing be vaguely gibberish. When I started making BDB, Tantares already existed and that mod's flavortexts portrayed the parts as being made by slightly bumbling corporations, despite being Russian parts. When I started BDB I didn't have any clear plan for the mod past a couple of parts, but I always thought 'Design Bureau' was a cool name. As the focus crystalized on American parts, I started playing up the fact that this was a mirror of Tantares - American parts being made by Russian-style design bureaus. Like I said, it amuses me, especially since the words aren't even actually translated, just transliterated (meaning every third letter or so doesn't even exist in cyrillic and just uses a latin character :P .

Edited by CobaltWolf

I'm afraid I don't have any pictures, but I can describe the process...

The nose cones are made by winding carbon fiber prepreg ribbons around a mandrel that is the shape of two nose cones, placed base to base. They then cure the carbon fiber in an autoclave and cut the part in half to remove them from the mandrel. Voila, two nose cones.

I have a quality if of life request for the LEM. Is there a way to possibly extend the ladder on the LEM near the door so you can climb all the way to the door to board. Obviously this is trivial and probably shouldn’t be on the priority scale but if it’s an easy fix could you address it? If it’s not an easy fix the don’t worry it’s easy enough to fly around with rcs to get up into the LEM. That being said for the crazy people out there who want to take the LEM to other planets as a lander (idk why they would) they might not be able to get back in. Again I know it’s super trivial just an FYI.

On 4/29/2018 at 11:53 AM, sp1989 said:

I have a quality if of life request for the LEM. Is there a way to possibly extend the ladder on the LEM near the door so you can climb all the way to the door to board. Obviously this is trivial and probably shouldn’t be on the priority scale but if it’s an easy fix could you address it? If it’s not an easy fix the don’t worry it’s easy enough to fly around with rcs to get up into the LEM. That being said for the crazy people out there who want to take the LEM to other planets as a lander (idk why they would) they might not be able to get back in. Again I know it’s super trivial just an FYI.

So... y'all are going to be so mad at me... but the LEM ladder issues have been about 80-90% fixed for months now. Like, I want to adjust them a bit still but you can easily EVA > climb down the ladder > hop to the ground > come back > grab the ladder > climb back up > board the ascent stage. I just keep forgetting to upload it to Github...

I've been busier-than-normal with IRL stuff recently, so apologies for what feels like (to me) slow progress. That trend will likely continue for a bit longer... actually, in general, my free time won't really return to normal until June. Remember when we used to have monthly releases for this mod? :P

But, small consolation, here's an early WIP of the Atlas V 5xx fairing base. How does the Centaur fit in you say? Well, its not pictured but the generally idea is that there is going to be a 'truss' version of the existing 1.875m Centaur Interstage, that fits down inside. The 'attachment plane' (where the Centaur interstages connect) is a bit below the flare of this fairing. By using this arrangement, the player gets two separate staging icons (meaning the fairings have time to get out of the way before you separate the Centaur) and the truss can be used separately for Titan-Centaur or any other conceivable stack where the Centaur is wrapped in a fairing. I am somewhat dismayed by how 'single use' some of these parts are lately, especially the Atlas V ones, but I'm sort of adopting a 'if you want cool IRL functions, you'll have to accept the occasional single-use part' attitude. How do people feel about that?

WvPzs6T.png

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

So... y'all are going to be so mad at me... but the LEM ladder issues have been about 80-90% fixed for months now. Like, I want to adjust them a bit still but you can easily EVA > climb down the ladder > hop to the ground > come back > grab the ladder > climb back up > board the ascent stage. I just keep forgetting to upload it to Github...

I've been busier-than-normal with IRL stuff recently, so apologies for what feels like (to me) slow progress. That trend will likely continue for a bit longer... actually, in general, my free time won't really return to normal until June. Remember when we used to have monthly releases for this mod? :P

But, small consolation, here's an early WIP of the Atlas V 5xx fairing base. How does the Centaur fit in you say? Well, its not pictured but the generally idea is that there is going to be a 'truss' version of the existing 1.875m Centaur Interstage, that fits down inside. The 'attachment plane' (where the Centaur interstages connect) is a bit below the flare of this fairing. By using this arrangement, the player gets two separate staging icons (meaning the fairings have time to get out of the way before you separate the Centaur) and the truss can be used separately for Titan-Centaur or any other conceivable stack where the Centaur is wrapped in a fairing. I am somewhat dismayed by how 'single use' some of these parts are lately, especially the Atlas V ones, but I'm sort of adopting a 'if you want cool IRL functions, you'll have to accept the occasional single-use part' attitude. How do people feel about that?

WvPzs6T.png

So the atlas should be ready for 1.4.7?

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I am somewhat dismayed by how 'single use' some of these parts are lately, especially the Atlas V ones, but I'm sort of adopting a 'if you want cool IRL functions, you'll have to accept the occasional single-use part' attitude. How do people feel about that?

The 2.5m and straight adapter, and I assume the truss, are the same thing with similar shaped meshes. Maybe a single part with a mesh switch is in order. They're really Centaur parts, not Atlas. Kind off hard to mount a dual engine Centaur on anything without them. I frequently use the straight adapter in the truss role so that variant would be welcome.

2 hours ago, Elon Kerman Jr said:

Hey I just saw this mod this morning but is there probes cores and stuff to make voyager and other American probes and Russian things other than that I love it

Russian no there are plenty of mods for those. Check out Beales mods. American there are quite a few American probe cores and the launchers. This mod is great for almost any type of save. You can do almost anything you want with it and more. Nova Punch used the be the gold standard, then it was KW, now it’s Bluedog.  Incredible variation of parts for fantasy, history, kerbalesque missions, near future, alternate future and anything else you can think of.

12 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I am somewhat dismayed by how 'single use' some of these parts are lately, especially the Atlas V ones, but I'm sort of adopting a 'if you want cool IRL functions, you'll have to accept the occasional single-use part' attitude. How do people feel about that?

SOLD! :D 

4 hours ago, Elon Kerman Jr said:

Hey I just saw this mod this morning but is there probes cores and stuff to make voyager and other American probes and Russian things other than that I love it

I'd check out Akron's Probes Plus pack. There's a healthy selection of probe cores, solar panels, and instruments available there, including Pioneer 10/11, Voyager, Vega, and Cassini.

11 hours ago, Jso said:

The 2.5m and straight adapter, and I assume the truss, are the same thing with similar shaped meshes. Maybe a single part with a mesh switch is in order. They're really Centaur parts, not Atlas. Kind off hard to mount a dual engine Centaur on anything without them. I frequently use the straight adapter in the truss role so that variant would be welcome.

Hrmm... I could, but the new 2.5m and truss interstages need to go on the Atlas V texture sheet (there's a lot of room that would be wasted otherwise). I could redo the textures for the Centaur interstage on that texture sheet (which would mean the whole extra centaur texture sheet with the interstages could be gotten rid of) but it would mean that the Atlas V part set, with the single big 4K texture, would be required for Centaur :(

2 hours ago, HooHungLow said:

LDC Titan

I'll loop back to it... eventually! :P Been waiting for 'inspiration' on the missing parts. sorry

Edited by CobaltWolf

Lol I could film my Titian IVs blowing up all the time and highlighting the need for a replacement.  I make sure my launches are realistic, that means blowing up the iv's. Lol I should do like a comic real, all the different ways to blow up the rocket with only stock plus your mod.

Perhaps if they had a new contract they would be trying harder.

12 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'll loop back to it... eventually! :P Been waiting for 'inspiration' on the missing parts. sorry

Adapters would be a great (re)start. And not just LDC adapters...(pls i need bluedog quality  3.75->3.125m/2.5m)

Edited by Saltshaker

Several posts have been removed here.  Folks, a few things to bear in mind (I'm sure you already know this-- right?-- but perhaps a refresher is in order):

• Please try to be considerate towards modders.  Don't demand updates-- they'll update as and when they're inclined to do so.  They're doing this for all of us for free.
  • If you do ask a question... try to do some homework first.  For example, you don't need to demand "1.4.3" because the mod already says "1.4.X", meaning it works for the various 1.4 patches.
  • Don't criticize or make personal attacks.  If you see someone doing something that you believe is inappropriate, don't try to be a cop.  Just report the post and the moderators can look into the matter.
  • No personal attack is ever okay... but please don't criticize people's spelling and grammar.  There are an awful lot of folks out there for whom English is not their native language, and it's not very welcoming to give them grief just because they don't speak your language perfectly.  I expect they speak your language better than you speak theirs, so let's cut some slack, shall we?

Thank you for your understanding.