[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

@CobaltWolf, registered here just to comment how much I love the BlueDog Design Bureau pack! It's a whole lot of fun to recreate historical and alt-historical missions using some really beautiful looking parts.

My CKAN sheet is below:

https://i.imgur.com/Gn9R0u0.png

I am also running Contares, Cormorant, Coatl, Tantares, and Alternate Apollo. I'm using Kopernicus and Sigma with @_Augustus_'s Realistic Rescale, which BlueDog works perfectly with. The only weird thing is that your tonnage to orbit is massively reduced, resulting in what I call "Kerbal tons", e.g. a Saturn V will only haul 38 tonnes to LEO, but you can still do the whole Apollo 11 mission perfectly, so there's no problem aside from the numbers. Oh, and I'm running 1.4.3, not 1.4.4.

I have noticed a couple of minor issues with BlueDog, figured I'd throw them in here. The extension tank for the S-IVC stage, the M02 orange tank, and a couple other parts like the 7-point S-II engine mount do not scale up and down with TweakScale, though the fact that BlueDog parts play with TweakScale at all is better than most parts packs. Some tanks can't switch fuels, as well. That's about it, basically BlueDog looks great and flies great!

If I may throw out a quick wish list:

- ETS-style improved Saturn V hardware, e.g. S-IC, S-II tanks with orange foam.
 - Stretched S-IC and S-II tanks
 - RS-25 and RS-68 engines
 - More Titan proposals, like Barbarian!

Anyway, I don't want to ask anything more than what you've already done, keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, Jso said:

They do. Some other mod must be changing them. I can't tell from the screenshot what that might be.

I have 110 installed mods. It will be hard to find problem! Also, there are no button to change the transmission from full signal to partial in all antennas that used in my crafts already

4 hours ago, Gremillion said:

-snip-

If I may throw out a quick wish list:

- ETS-style improved Saturn V hardware, e.g. S-IC, S-II tanks with orange foam.
 - Stretched S-IC and S-II tanks
 - RS-25 and RS-68 engines
 - More Titan proposals, like Barbarian!

-snip-

Interestingly enough, just a few thread pages back there was a little discussion about both orange foam S-IC/II and extensions for them. On Barbarian, there are already a few parts on BDB's master github page, though it is still incomplete. There is already an analogue to the RS-25 in stock KSP, though if you want more variations I'd suggest Cormorant Aeronology or SSTU. The latter also contains an RS-68, and an analogue can be found in Nertea's CryoEngines. It's great you've found this mod, and happy launchings!

Edited by Saltshaker

3 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

Interestingly enough, just a few thread pages back there was a little discussion about both orange foam S-IC/II and extensions for them.

Yup! I've been reading the thread for a while. Just wanted to throw my chips in. :)

Thanks for the other tips! I didn't install SSTU because for whatever reason I can't find any screenshots of the parts. Nertea's is new to me, though I've heard of his work before.

MY GOD, this mod is beautiful, as I would like the whole game to be in the same parameters, however I only have a sadness, can my computer can run in this same definition? DD: It seems too heavy for a simple computer, it seems to consume an unbelievable amount of RAM, even in my case with 16GB of Ram and almost 100 mods installed, remembering that I hardly use visual mods since it would be impossible to run everything at the same time with the my configuration, from visual mods I only have Scatterer and now RealPlume. my computer runs the entire RSS set, but for this I have to give up 80% of all mods.
Well I have a question about the folder: BD_Extras (No Warranty), when you say "unsecured" you mean that you do not take responsibility if it gives you a serious problem, or does not guarantee that it will work in that absurdly beautiful resolution? Well I'd like to try to use this folder but there is no Readme file on how to use it in the best way possible.

Edited by Catatau_27

3 hours ago, Catatau_27 said:

Well I have a question about the folder: BD_Extras (No Warranty), when you say "unsecured" you mean that you do not take responsibility if it gives you a serious problem, or does not guarantee that it will work in that absurdly beautiful resolution? Well I'd like to try to use this folder but there is no Readme file on how to use it in the best way possible.

From the readme:

Spoiler

All files in the BD_Extras folders are provided WITHOUT WARRANTY.

Simply put, if you don't understand EXACTLY what something in this folder does, DON'T INSTALL IT.

The BD_Extras folder is not an expansion to the mod. It is a place to collect patches that users have made for their own use, and kindly have allowed us to keep them on the Github so that other users can use them.

The RealNames config is fairly harmless. It changes the names of all the BDB parts to realistic names, and was exhaustively researched by IronCretin.

Pafftek includes modified configs to create new parts using existing models. Engine variants that would be superfluous in the main mod, but do add more options for gameplay.

The Saturn Rescale config increases the size of the Saturn parts to properly scale them for KSP. It makes the Saturn V 6.25m and the S-IVB 4.25m. 

Just copy Bluedog_DB_extras to GameData and delete what you don't want. There should be comments in the configs where it's not obvious what they do.

These files are mostly user contributed and may or may not work or be up to date with the latest release.

Thank you, this information has helped me to understand what it is and how it is used. Thanks for the attention, I'm going to copy this explanatory text in Notepad and save it with a Readme file inside the mod, because it's always important a file like this =)

5 hours ago, Catatau_27 said:

MY GOD, this mod is beautiful, as I would like the whole game to be in the same parameters, however I only have a sadness, can my computer can run in this same definition? DD: It seems too heavy for a simple computer, it seems to consume an unbelievable amount of RAM, even in my case with 16GB of Ram and almost 100 mods installed...

I recommend deleting the parts that you don't need/won't use, as the mod is quite modular in that regard; for example, you can delete the folder EarlyRockets under GameData\Bluedog_DB\Parts if you don't want those.

On 6/26/2018 at 11:04 PM, Gremillion said:

Yup! I've been reading the thread for a while. Just wanted to throw my chips in. :)

Thanks for the other tips! I didn't install SSTU because for whatever reason I can't find any screenshots of the parts. Nertea's is new to me, though I've heard of his work before.

You don't know who Nertea is? Hoo boy are you in for a treat.

4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well, feels like life has been kicking me in the teeth lately, but I finally have something to show for the first time in a while...

-snip-

Beautiful! I'm planning to use this for pretty much every unmanned payload above Delta II (aside from maybe an occasional Delta III-Centaur) up to it's max capacity (where Saturn takes over) so it's gonna fly a lot... 

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well, feels like life has been kicking me in the teeth lately, but I finally have something to show for the first time in a while...

First off WOW....   And Secondly......  ATLAS III!  

Err lets make that a little easier to read....

ATLAS 3!!!!

WIP bare RD-180 textures... I don't think I'll want to use any of those shrouds now... first pic is where we started from yesterday, second pic is what it looks like now...

EDIT: And since I'm a bad person and keep forgetting to being this up every time I post about this engine, but thanks again to @PickledTripod for the amazing RD-180 model!

ra9sUac.png0wWbazC.png0cqf9PC.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, notJebKerman said:

So what's the plan? Atlas V? SRBs? Big G? :wink:

Working towards finishing the Atlas V 401. The RD-180 isn't done but I need to clear my head so I'm starting with (hopefully) finishing the Centaur V tankage.