[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

14 hours ago, Frednoeyes said:

As I've got nothing better to do, I thought I'd share some interesting USAF Gemini stuff I found on the web.

First, a real life USAF Gemini Interceptor concept.

[DOD Drawing cleaned up by Scott Lowther]

[Model done by Zac Yates]

Awesome! Misc space history stuff is always welcome here, anything that might be reference I don't have yet (including things like plastic models, those can be super helpful!) is especially useful!

EDIT: Missed this

On 7/17/2018 at 6:41 AM, GrubbyZebra said:

@CobaltWolf

Just wanted to say I absolutely love this mod. Thanks for all your hard work.

No, thank you! :)

Edited by CobaltWolf

Following on from last post, some rather excellent technical drawings of the fictional Gemini-I spacecraft from the Blue Gemini series of thriller novels by Mike Jenne.

eqknQmN.png

Launched off of Johnson Atoll,

pkfk9pE.png

Armed with radar,

1hvtD9x.png

A satellite lasso,

hSBl0iX.png

And a Rogallo wing landing system,

331Xhu2.jpg

This is the Black Ops Gemini the Air Force never would have had the budget for.

See these drawing and more (in much better quality) 'ere.

[Drawings by Ed Jenne]

BTW, @CobaltWolf thanks! I find military space projects like this and the X-20 fascinating.

Edited by Frednoeyes
Finally got 'em embedded properly.

11 minutes ago, Frednoeyes said:

Following on from last post, some rather excellent technical drawings of the fictional Gemini-I spacecraft from the Blue Gemini series of thriller novels by Mike Jenne.

Album fV4JSPb will appear when post is submitted

See these drawing and more 'ere.

[Drawings by Ed Jenne]

BTW, @CobaltWolf thanks! I find military space projects like this and the X-20 fascinating.

Imgur albums don't play nice with forum posts, so you may want to change the url.

19 minutes ago, Saltshaker said:

Imgur albums don't play nice with forum posts, so you may want to change the url.

Thanks, bloody Imgur. Incidentally if anyone had read or is reading the Blue Gemini books, how are they?

Edited by Frednoeyes

Parse results for the master branch as of today.  Nothing stands out at the moment, but I'm still looking at it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1axgs3b5hIq_haGTgmcuim6GYd4HfIxlqHBECQ7DI49M/edit?usp=sharing

This has antenna data and probe core information, from a vanilla copy of KSP 1.4.4 w/ just ModuleManager and BDDB installed.

Spoiler

Longer boring stuff here:

This is produced using my little parser project that reads the MM config cache file and lets me search through the nodes to extract information and create CSVs.  While not guaranteed, it's giving me a way to quickly scan hundreds of parts files and layout the values in a way that they can be compared and contrasted.  After which I can calculate things like EC/Mit, Mit/sec, EC/sec, crew capacity per unit of dry mass, etc.

It runs on .NET Core 2.1, so will run on Windows, macOS and Linux (I run Linux) if you have the .NET Core 2.1 run-time installed.

Someone has a question in the Antenna Helper thread about an antenna that seems to not have the correct range, but it is about an antenna on your Sienna (spelling?) probe.

He says it is supposed to have an antenna power of 62.5K, but the maths are not working out as intended.

I managed to find the cfg for that probe and noticed it has TWO data transmitter modules. One is an internal 5k power antenna and one is a Direct antenna of 62.5K power, but it says antennacombinable = False.

I'm wondering if maybe the internal 5k antenna is being defaulted to and should be deleted....or maybe the other one should be set to antennacombinable = True....

I'm  no modder, so honestly I have no idea really what's up with it....

5 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

Someone has a question in the Antenna Helper thread about an antenna that seems to not have the correct range, but it is about an antenna on your Sienna (spelling?) probe.

He says it is supposed to have an antenna power of 62.5K, but the maths are not working out as intended.

I managed to find the cfg for that probe and noticed it has TWO data transmitter modules. One is an internal 5k power antenna and one is a Direct antenna of 62.5K power, but it says antennacombinable = False.

I'm wondering if maybe the internal 5k antenna is being defaulted to and should be deleted....or maybe the other one should be set to antennacombinable = True....

The direct takes over for the internal when it's extended. Cheat a Sienno out to Minmus and you can see for yourself.

That's a battery powered probe. When the EC runs out it's dead.

2 minutes ago, Deltac said:

But this mod is for the stock size solar system...

Yup.

I think the frequently cited "balanced for 2.5x" confuses people. It's balanced against stock and the parts are 62%-ish scale like stock. 62% scale Earth rockets with stock balance play best on a 2.5x system.

5 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

Looking at the part, that probe core does indeed have two antennas.

The 5km antenna is used during lift-off, then once you get above ~50km, you'd right-click the part and extend the 2nd antenna which is the one with 62.5km power.

5 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

Looking at the part, that probe core does indeed have two antennas.

The 5km antenna is used during lift-off, then once you get above ~50km, you'd right-click the part and extend the 2nd antenna which is the one with 62.5km power.

Ok, I was just passing along that some dude had an issue with the range of the antenna over in the thread for the antenna helper mod. Like I said, I no nothing about modding or how particular things in the cfg file work. If you go to that thread though, he claims the antenna is not giving him the expected range.....but there could be a number of things going on. I don't know that he has clarified if he is using remote tech or not....I believe that mod makes it so you actually have to have antennas orienting properly....which is why I refuse to use it.....rofl!

On 7/22/2018 at 11:33 AM, Jso said:

The direct takes over for the internal when it's extended. Cheat a Sienno out to Minmus and you can see for yourself.

That's a battery powered probe. When the EC runs out it's dead.

Yup.

I think the frequently cited "balanced for 2.5x" confuses people. It's balanced against stock and the parts are 62%-ish scale like stock. 62% scale Earth rockets with stock balance play best on a 2.5x system.

@Jso, @JoE Smash, @WuphonsReach
So, that guy in the other thread was me, actually. ^_^
I discovered what the issue was: Antenna Helper was correctly calculating the comms distance, even with the Sienna core's twin-antennae setup. The culprit? The CommNet Constellation mod. For some reason, Constellation wasn't/isn't seeing the second, much larger internal antennae in the Sienna (or any other Bluedog probe core with a built-in antenna).

15 minutes ago, Kardea said:

@Jso, @JoE Smash, @WuphonsReach
So, that guy in the other thread was me, actually. ^_^
I discovered what the issue was: Antenna Helper was correctly calculating the comms distance, even with the Sienna core's twin-antennae setup. The culprit? The CommNet Constellation mod. For some reason, Constellation wasn't/isn't seeing the second, much larger internal antennae in the Sienna (or any other Bluedog probe core with a built-in antenna).

Nice! Glad you solved it. How did you figure it out? 

1 hour ago, JoE Smash said:

Nice! Glad you solved it. How did you figure it out? 

I noticed that Constellation was claiming the maximum antenna power for each of my satellites was 5K. I removed the mod and lo and behold... the expected ranges all matched up.

1 hour ago, Kardea said:

I noticed that Constellation was claiming the maximum antenna power for each of my satellites was 5K. I removed the mod and lo and behold... the expected ranges all matched up.

NICE!

I'd leave a post on that thread (if it's not dead) and see if the dude who works on that one can fix it.....hopefully he/she can....

Great mod...one bug though, every time I have the ascent module return to the service module, the RCS plume in the apollo block II pod seems to glitch and the plume is just...there, even when the RCS is disabled the RCS plume is still there, it doesen't produce any thrust just the RCS plume seems to glitch and only happens when the ascent stage returns20180726180649_1.jpg

Edited by Snark
Formatting tidied up by moderator ;-)

6 hours ago, Sprognut said:

Great mod...one bug though, every time I have the ascent module return to the service module, the RCS plume in the apollo block II pod seems to glitch and the plume is just...there, even when the RCS is disabled the RCS plume is still there, it doesen't produce any thrust just the RCS plume seems to glitch and only happens when the ascent stage returns

A scene change should clear it. It's a stock bug with ModuleRCSFX that occurs when the ModuleRCSFX is on a root part and the vessel leaves physics range and returns without changing scenes. Since the Mk-1-3 has RCS now I checked with an all stock parts vessel and it happens there too, though in that case the RCS effects were always off instead of always on.

Welcome to the forums!

I posted about this same issue awhile back. When using Bluedog Apollo CM, just change the root part to the parachute mount and it goes away. I always have to remember to do when when building a Bluedog Apollo from scratch. You can change it at any point during the build. On a side note, it's back to 1.4.3 for me. Those changed RCS thruster sounds that Squad put in in 1.4.4 are still there is 1.4.5. With my style of play, I use the RCS thrusters a lot throughout the game and the new sounds just gets on my nerves.

Edited by MikeO89

I searched the thread for it and couldn't find anything, so I'll post a question: does anyone have 'build instructions' for Hokulani/Skylab? I mean, you can piece together a lot of it from the preview picture on the first page of the thread (plus using pictures of actual Skylab), but easy-to-use instructions would be great. The BDB Manual that the main thread post links to has great instructions for a lot of the BDB craft, but it's outdated at this point (doesn't include Hokulani and quite a few part names have changed, such as Muo becoming Bossart, etc). Thanks in advance!

24 minutes ago, Kardea said:

I mean, you can piece together a lot of it from the preview picture on the first page of the thread (plus using pictures of actual Skylab)

That's pretty much it. Top to bottom it's Docking Adapter, Airlock/Fairing Module, Instrument Unit, Lab and Radiator. Don't forget to throw on some solar panels and docking ports and an antenna. Make sure you extend the solar panels in the VAB to see what they look like extended.

The weirdness is the ATM. You can either launch with it attached to the forward docking port, then move it to the upper port once in orbit, or launch it separately. The ATM has fuel and a probe core so it can move itself. Remember to put some RCS thrusters on it for docking.

19 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

New 4m long Centaur tank for Atlas IIA/IIIA. Both of the new Centaur tanks now have color switching between white and orange foam, and both have flag transforms. :)

-snip-

Amazing (as always). Btw, is this on GH yet? It seems like the last update there was 3 days ago...

2 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

Amazing (as always). Btw, is this on GH yet? It seems like the last update there was 3 days ago...

No, I didn't have a chance to upload it. I was trying to get more done this weekend, but wound up not feeling well and having to leave things off about there. Having artist's block on one of the last Atlas V parts which isn't helping.