[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

8 minutes ago, debaker02 said:

Wow,

This update is going to be epic...

It's taking a long time, and there won't be *that* much new stuff (Delta II, Atlas V, solids revamp, a couple misc parts like the extending RL10s) but my free time isn't what it used to be, so I'm happy just to still be working on things at all :)

EDIT: Just because, happy anniversary to the Atlas V which launched for the first time on this day in 2002!

DlIt90_U8AAD-gu.jpg:large

Edited by CobaltWolf

On 8/26/2018 at 5:34 PM, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

Nice IUS second stage 218.png_large

21 hours ago, Pappystein said:

OH WOW that is AWESOME!

I assume given all the discussion on the MX and the shape of the extendable bell that is the SR-120?

Yup! A bit stuck on the SR-119, just since I don't have ideas for the outside of the casing at the moment.

I have started to get the Scout stuff in game but ran into some roadblocks with Unity or something not cooperating on some of the parts. Hopefully I'll be able to finish that soon then hop back to the 1.5m parts.

1 hour ago, notJebKerman said:

Crossover v2.0

12 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

So is that a Shuttle rescue system or an Apollo Rescue system?    :cool:

I do actually vaguely recall a study I ran across once that seemed to use modified Apollos as a recoverable/refurbishable beyond-LEO crew vehicle in a Shuttle-based launch architecture.

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

So is that a Shuttle rescue system or an Apollo Rescue system?    :cool:

Shuttle rescue system is the shuttle

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I do actually vaguely recall a study I ran across once that seemed to use modified Apollos as a recoverable/refurbishable beyond-LEO crew vehicle in a Shuttle-based launch architecture.

Do you have any links? I'd love to read more about it and maybe definitely recreate it. 

Edited by notJebKerman

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yup! A bit stuck on the SR-119, just since I don't have ideas for the outside of the casing at the moment.

Clarification question...  Does this mean you are looking for something OTHER than a Minotaur IV/V/VI paint scheme for the SR-118 and SR-119?

Most of the Minotaurs do have a new paint scheme on these lower two stages only....    I wonder why that is.

EDIT

Answered my own question.... Duh it is a Kevlar Epoxy composite case.... USAF didn't order them painted.   Base color of Kevlar is a Tan-ish yellow and the epoxy dries to a smokey color....  Yup that could look awesome or WEIRD in conjunction with the rest of the mod.... But... the LDC Titan also is in the black spectrum so......

Edited by Pappystein

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

Clarification question...  Does this mean you are looking for something OTHER than a Minotaur IV/V/VI paint scheme for the SR-118 and SR-119?

Most of the Minotaurs do have a new paint scheme on these lower two stages only....    I wonder why that is.

EDIT

Answered my own question.... Duh it is a Kevlar Epoxy composite case.... USAF didn't order them painted.   Base color of Kevlar is a Tan-ish yellow and the epoxy dries to a smokey color....  Yup that could look awesome or WEIRD in conjunction with the rest of the mod.... But... the LDC Titan also is in the black spectrum so......

Usually IRL rockets have very subtle details that I try to pick up on and accentuate. If there is any detail at all on the SR-119, I can't see it in any photos. So, I'll have to come up with something to make it more than a plain cylinder.

By the way, I am not doing separate SR-118 and Castor-120.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Usually IRL rockets have very subtle details that I try to pick up on and accentuate. If there is any detail at all on the SR-119, I can't see it in any photos. So, I'll have to come up with something to make it more than a plain cylinder.

By the way, I am not doing separate SR-118 and Castor-120.

Nope I agree the SR-119 stage is truly just a Cylinder with a cool Nozzle under it :)  But isn't there some sort of wire conduit on one side?

Two questions RE SR-118 then.   1) are you re-doing your existing Castor-120 model and if so are the Strongback/Wirechase or the metal to Composite joint going to be modeld in (you can see both in this picture:) 

Castor_120_for_OCO.jpg

In this picture you can see the Wirechase expands at the stage junctions on the left side of this picture:

Minotaur-4-Lite_HTV-2a_2.jpg

Secondly, Isn't the Castor-120 a different length than the SR-119?   

If you DO have the wire conduit on it then you could set up a greeble of several wires hanging at stage separation :)

Edited by Pappystein

12 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Nope I agree the SR-119 stage is truly just a Cylinder with a cool Nozzle under it :)  But isn't there some sort of wire conduit on one side?

Two questions RE SR-118 then.   1) are you re-doing your existing Castor-120 model and if so are the Strongback/Wirechase or the metal to Composite joint going to be modeld in (you can see both in this picture:)

In this picture you can see the Wirechase expands at the stage junctions on the left side of this picture:

Secondly, Isn't the Castor-120 a different length than the SR-119?   

If you DO have the wire conduit on it then you could set up a greeble of several wires hanging at stage separation :)

I posted a mockup of the Castor-120 model in this post:

Cx5Ui3c.png

I need to recheck its length, they look/feel a little short. The Castor-120 will have to pull double duty and work in the Athena and Minotaur configurations. I think I'm going to make a slim, white 1.5m decoupler for these MX-derived missiles to use. I don't have a picture of it (and I don't believe I'll be able to work on KSP stuff until late next week) but I did integrate the bulgy raceways on the Minotaur's interstages into the autoshrouds for the SR-119 and SR-120, though that leaves them a good bit shorter than the real one.

Castor-120 is a different length than SR-119 (MX second stage), yes.

37 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

We are slowly but surely moving to using the wiki on Github. Here's an example page @Jso already worked on.

Nice! Glad to see the work continues. I checked the page out and one thing I noticed is that specific part names are missing... is that going to be added in? I hate to sound like a cretin, but it was very convenient to be be able to look over and go, "Oh, Viklun 1600 tank next, gotcha..." and whatnot.

2 hours ago, Kardea said:

one thing I noticed is that specific part names are missing... is that going to be added in?

I was trying to avoid part names where possible because they keep changing and invalidating the guides.

Hi guys

Maybe this is a little bit off-topic, and maybe it was suggested long before

I was recreating an Apollo mission, and after 5 landings, I thought "I should bring a rover"
After attaching it to the LM descent stage, I noticed 2 things: that my lander was unbalanced, and that it didn't fit in the S-IVB adapter
An internal reaction wheel helped with the unbalance, but... it still didn't fit in the S-IVB adapter

So... here's my suggestion for someday
A modified descent stage, with a hole in Quad I for the rover (see the picture)
And... as KSP has Apollo-style rover wheels and antennas, external seats and other stock parts, why not to make a Apollo-style BDB rover chassis?
You know, "go big or go home" :D

Thanks everybody, have a nice day

LunarModuleOrion_html_6a6c1a2a.gif

Edited by jram2301