[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

13 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Now why didn't I think of that for the Big-G Far orbital 3.125m SM.   Any chance you have your mod setup for Tweakscale?  Or are making 3.125m/3.75m versions?   :)

That is a nice 4x Engine mount with a DOCKING PORT betwix the engines!

Thanks. Not set up yet, but is on my todo list.

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Drakenex awesome! Were all 4 SRMUs necessary for the hydrolox variant?

yup, in fact, it crashed because TWR after SRMU separation was negative and run out of HydroLox because the tanks cant hold enough, I have to think a different option for the H variant or use different engines.

9 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I haven't abandoned Sigma Dimensions however I only use github now since I got tired of the forums and the comments on my threads were not providing any useful feedback anyways.

I haven't received any bug reports for SD in 1.5.whatever so I would expect everything to work fine.

if you encounter any issues with SD feel free to contact me on github.

PS: I would recommend using "Rescale!" from @Galileo rather than KScale because if I recall correctly KScale was designed for an old version of SD that had a different syntax, which means they probably don't work correctly

7 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Thanks for the quick update @Sigma88! I just kept seeing empty OPs, locked threads and announcements in big red letters saying things to the effect of 'only meant to to work with KSP Ver 1.[super old]!'. This is not to put down any of these mods or ones like them, and especially not the people who made them! I am just frustrated that every time I get all hyped to to play the game again, I say "This time I am guna use a re-scale for sure!" and then cant seem to find an obviously working mod to do it. :/ I also feel bad whenever I try to explain to someone that BDB isn't over powered, rather its a stock part<->system imbalance and that all they have to do is re-scale the stock system. They ask 'How do I do that?' and I have to shrug...

(P.S. Sorry if this post turned into a rant, I'm just frustrated is all.)

I can say for sure that Rescale! And Sigma Dimensions work great in 1.5 with the new version of kopernicus.

once a few more mods are updated I will be starting an alternate history series hopefully in this install

Y'all were busy... sorry if I miss responding to something!

22 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Only with posting pictures.  Still can't get screen grab to work in this particular install of KSP (still running 1.4.5)     And yes since I know no pix no happen....  I will let Drakenex take the win :)

BTW Drak, NICE Titan Heavy :)

I already put my LDC wish-list in.   But I have a question before answering this post.   Is the Vac LR-87 going to be single or twin chambered?   If single chambered than I would request a 2 engine mount. The as built LDC stage is TOO big and too MEATY for the '10s to handle.     The '10s should be ideally on the stage ABOVE LDC-2

the vac LR-87 (remember, this is the Titan IV first stage variant we're talking about, not the LH2 or anything... err, well, the LH2 version would be able to share the vacuum bell I think) would be a single bell, yes.

23 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Sweet! The new FAQ is looking good, it is even labeled as an FAQ now! I probably should have mentioned this earlier but KScale2 and Quarter Size RSS mentioned as BDB compatible re-scale mods are out of date and look abandoned, also, Sigma Dimensions on which KScale2 is based, is no longer supported (at least on the forums). These are contributing factors in my wanting specific re-scale mods named in the FAQ. As far as I can tell there have been no working 2.5-3x re-scaling mods for several versions now. If anyone knows of one that works with 1.5.x and is still being looked after, please post about it!

22 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I haven't abandoned Sigma Dimensions however I only use github now since I got tired of the forums and the comments on my threads were not providing any useful feedback anyways.

I haven't received any bug reports for SD in 1.5.whatever so I would expect everything to work fine.

if you encounter any issues with SD feel free to contact me on github.

PS: I would recommend using "Rescale!" from @Galileo rather than KScale because if I recall correctly KScale was designed for an old version of SD that had a different syntax, which means they probably don't work correctly

Nice, I'll add that link to the OP. They're both required, right?

21 hours ago, Orbital_phoenix said:

Space Tug approaching Skylab

Space tug parts are from my WIP mod:

Awesome!!!

20 hours ago, Pappystein said:

So a MINOR issue with the new LDC engine mount.  I Do NOT think this needs to be changed but I wanted to bring it up.    Large bore engines (J-2/HG-3) do not fit nicely in the 4x engine mount.  They clip on the outer rim.  Not an issue cause they fit GREAT in the 5x mount and I can leave the central hole empty.

I just launched a full Big-Gemini with Twin RL-10 powered rear docking SM

I launched this as if it were a HG-3 powered "Improved Titan LDC"  with 2x UA-1205 SRMs.... WOW-WE  I know that BDB is really built for a 2.5x experience like Sigma Dimensions but WOW   In orbit with ALL STAGES except the 2x UA-1205s at 100km and I have enough fuel in stage 1 to de-orbit the entire thing!

From now on my Improved Titans will be HG-3 only powered!  

ooph, that is unfortunate. Do they not fit even if you tweak them? I do know the nodes for the 4x mount aren't going to be perfectly positioned for all the engines that actually physically fit there.

20 hours ago, Orbital_phoenix said:

Thanks. Not set up yet, but is on my todo list.

On a related note, if there are any intrepid volunteers that want to update our Tweakscale configs... they are probably like two years out of date at this point.

18 hours ago, Drakenex said:

yup, in fact, it crashed because TWR after SRMU separation was negative and run out of HydroLox because the tanks cant hold enough, I have to think a different option for the H variant or use different engines.

Ouch. What engines? LR87-LH2s?

:0.0: WARNING! MATHS AHEAD! :0.0:

I'm doing the payload performance calculations for the Atlas family to be added in the wiki soon™ so I would like to know if people are interested in a more well... in depth manual. Like how to configure the Atlas rocket for your payload and Δv requirements. Mechjeb or Kerbal Engineer don't calculate the Δv accurately for a stage and half design, so would people be interested in a manual including those calculations?

8HGjFn6.png

For example, take the rocket above (let's call it Atlas/Bossart/Muo B) how much Δv it has depends on when you jettison the booster skirt (the thingy with the booster engines) as well as the payload mass. The image below shows the Δv as a function of the payload mass for when you jettison the booster skirt when there is 0% fuel left (keeping it until running out of fuel), 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% and jettisoning it at liftoff (100% fuel)

Spoiler

EECf7k7.png

I must admit that it will come with quite a maths alert and some graphics can be a bit complicated to use but there might be a manual on how to use them as well, so if people are interested in it, please let me know :D

Edited by Marcelo Silveira

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

ooph, that is unfortunate. Do they not fit even if you tweak them? I do know the nodes for the 4x mount aren't going to be perfectly positioned for all the engines that actually physically fit there.

Given the Recessed nature it is a bit hard to tweak them But then again I spent...  30 seconds looking at that before I said Switch to 5 and leave 4 on it.

The Problem with the mount is the cutout is really designed for a twin chamber LR-87 only with those long gangly bits on em.   Shorter Beefier single bells need not apply.   Not a big deal as I said it was EASY to work around.  The round cut-outs on the 5x mount are almost exactly sized for the E-1...  Anything shorter or fatter looks a touch off (Drakenex's photos highlight how LITTLE of the engine bell is visible on some engines.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

On a related note, if there are any intrepid volunteers that want to update our Tweakscale configs... they are probably like two years out of date at this point.

Hah! I was just working on a few parts today for just that reason (Delta III.)   I have a bunch of Real-Names line items and a FEW other items (the promised SR118 MM file for example.)   I am doing some final testing in 1.5 to see WHAT if any changes would need to be effected (seems to be none so far.)   I am not willing to take on the FULL realm of Tweakscale but I can submit what I have.

Ok it isn't much but here is what I have:

Tweakscale:

Spoiler

@PART[bluedog_Delta3_AdapterTank]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 2.5
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_Castor30XL]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    #@TWEAKSCALEBEHAVIOR[SRB]/MODULE[TweakScale] { }
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 1.5
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_SR119]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 1.5
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_SR120]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 1.5
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_Decoupler]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    #@TWEAKSCALEBEHAVIOR[Decoupler]/MODULE[TweakScale] { }
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
    type = BluedogStack
    defaultScale = 1.5
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_PostBoostVehicle]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    #@TWEAKSCALEBEHAVIOR[Engine]/MODULE[TweakScale] { }
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 1.5
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_UpperSolids_Star37BV]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 0.9375
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_UpperSolids_Star37FMV]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 0.9375
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_UpperSolids_Star48BV]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 0.9375
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_Athena_OAM]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 1.5
    }
}

And Realnames:

Spoiler

@PART[bluedog_E1]:FOR[Bluedog_Realnames] {
    @title = Saturn/Titan E-1
    @description = Occupying a middle ground between the LR-79 family and the F-1 engines, the E-1 is a bit of a curious use case. Originally developed for the Titan I first stage (where it would be accompanied by a pair of LR-101 inline verniers), it was later proposed in a 4-engine cluster for the Saturn I first stage.  The E-1's development paved the way to the Mighty F-1.
}

@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_SR119]:FOR[Bluedog_Realnames] {
    @title = LGM-118 Stage 2 (SR119)
    @description = Second stage for the LGM-118 Peacekeeper (MX) missile. 2nd or 3rd stage for various Minotaur 3,4,5 and 6 satellite launchers.
}
@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_SR120]:FOR[Bluedog_Realnames] {
    @title = LGM-118 Stage 3 (SR120)
    @description = The smallest and final Solid stage for the LGM-118 Peacekeeper(MX) missile.  The SR-120 uses a Vaccum optimized nozzle to give you most of your orbital speed.
}
@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_PostBoostVehicle]:FOR[Bluedog_Realnames] {
    @title = LGM-118 Stage 4 (PBV)
    @description = a Hypergolic Liquid fueld stage, the Post Boost Vehicle is the part of the MX Missile that steered and launched the individual warheads on the warhead bus.  In this case it is used to safely position satellite in orbit.
}

Also I now have Screenshot capabilities in 1.5.... But weird graphical issues.... Probably don't have something updated I need.    Anyway I did a test with both the BDB and the Stock *GASP* LR-87s in the LDC engine mount.  Both have collision issues.  I know you are making a new LR-87 family but I wanted to apprise you of the situation.  I played with the best ways to avoid bell on bell collisions as well as the best way to fit 4x+ standard Titan LR-87s arrays in the mount....   I will post later tonight.

Edited by Pappystein

First I would like to showcase my Cobbled/scabbed/stand-up guyized 3.125m SM for the Big-G:

https://imgur.com/a/8C9IDDd

ZIJ1wuZ.jpgNlZTo47.jpg

I didn't not realize that the CRE mod did NOT have Bluestreak parts....  Shame on me for not looking at it when I downloaded it.   @CobaltWolf's Blue-Streak has an excellent length 1.25m to 0.9375m structural part that works for the docking port.

I had to make due with a stock structural part that is too wide....   Ach-So!

Non BDB parts used are RLA's 5 way RCS, and the ugly Stock 45degree structural cone and some nifty solar panels.   I THINK everything else is BDB or tweak-scaled BDB.

Edited by Pappystein

WARNING! a bit of maths AHEAD! 

It took some time, but I managed to calculate the Δv capability of an Atlas rocket in this mod as a stage and half rocket. Mechjeb and/or KER calculate the Δv as a normal rocket, sot the actual Δv you get is different from the one shown by mechjeb.

dYI41Dm.png

I compiled a manual on how to use this kind of Δv map for planning an Atlas rocket launch. It has a step by step tutorial on how to analyse and improve your Atlas launches without having to crunch a large amount of numbers just by looking at a chart no complicated maths needed. But if complicated maths are you thing, there is also a section explaining how to calculate the Δv for a stage and half rocket. 

The manual is not complete yet, it only has the Δv map for a single Atlas version (the short one some posts above) but in future™ it will have most of the standard Atlas versions shown in the wiki.

17 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Given the Recessed nature it is a bit hard to tweak them But then again I spent...  30 seconds looking at that before I said Switch to 5 and leave 4 on it.

The Problem with the mount is the cutout is really designed for a twin chamber LR-87 only with those long gangly bits on em.   Shorter Beefier single bells need not apply.   Not a big deal as I said it was EASY to work around.  The round cut-outs on the 5x mount are almost exactly sized for the E-1...  Anything shorter or fatter looks a touch off (Drakenex's photos highlight how LITTLE of the engine bell is visible on some engines.

Hah! I was just working on a few parts today for just that reason (Delta III.)   I have a bunch of Real-Names line items and a FEW other items (the promised SR118 MM file for example.)   I am doing some final testing in 1.5 to see WHAT if any changes would need to be effected (seems to be none so far.)   I am not willing to take on the FULL realm of Tweakscale but I can submit what I have.

I scaled the 5x mount to work with the LR-105, since in my head it made sense to try and scale them for the biggest `1.25m-ish` engines I had handy. Was that a mistake?

16 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Ok it isn't much but here is what I have:

Tweakscale:

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[bluedog_Delta3_AdapterTank]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 2.5
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_Castor30XL]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 1.5
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_SR119]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 1.5
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_SR120]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 1.5
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_Decoupler]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    #@TWEAKSCALEBEHAVIOR[Decoupler]/MODULE[TweakScale] { }
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
    type = BluedogStack
    defaultScale = 1.5
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_PostBoostVehicle]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 1.5
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_UpperSolids_Star37BV]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 0.9375
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_UpperSolids_Star37FMV]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 0.9375
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_UpperSolids_Star48BV]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 0.9375
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_Athena_OAM]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 1.5
    }
}

And Realnames:

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[bluedog_E1]:FOR[Bluedog_Realnames] {
    @title = Saturn/Titan E-1
    @description = Occupying a middle ground between the LR-79 family and the F-1 engines, the E-1 is a bit of a curious use case. Originally developed for the Titan I first stage (where it would be accompanied by a pair of LR-101 inline verniers), it was later proposed in a 4-engine cluster for the Saturn I first stage.  The E-1's development paved the way to the Mighty F-1.
}

@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_SR119]:FOR[Bluedog_Realnames] {
    @title = LGM-118 Stage 2 (SR119)
    @description = Second stage for the LGM-118 Peacekeeper (MX) missile. 2nd or 3rd stage for various Minotaur 3,4,5 and 6 satellite launchers.
}
@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_SR120]:FOR[Bluedog_Realnames] {
    @title = LGM-118 Stage 3 (SR120)
    @description = The smallest and final Solid stage for the LGM-118 Peacekeeper(MX) missile.  The SR-120 uses a Vaccum optimized nozzle to give you most of your orbital speed.
}
@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_PostBoostVehicle]:FOR[Bluedog_Realnames] {
    @title = LGM-118 Stage 4 (PBV)
    @description = a Hypergolic Liquid fueld stage, the Post Boost Vehicle is the part of the MX Missile that steered and launched the individual warheads on the warhead bus.  In this case it is used to safely position satellite in orbit.
}

Also I now have Screenshot capabilities in 1.5.... But weird graphical issues.... Probably don't have something updated I need.    Anyway I did a test with both the BDB and the Stock *GASP* LR-87s in the LDC engine mount.  Both have collision issues.  I know you are making a new LR-87 family but I wanted to apprise you of the situation.  I played with the best ways to avoid bell on bell collisions as well as the best way to fit 4x+ standard Titan LR-87s arrays in the mount....   I will post later tonight.

Thanks to you for making these and @Gordon Dry for submitting a PR. I did a little bit of cleanup just now.

Regarding the 4x mount, here is the screenshot from Maya with the very WIP LR-87s in the mount. I don't know how well they'd deal with gimballing, but there's only so much I can do. They would have to be tweaked with the translation gizmo to be slightly more outboard than the E-1s and other single engines.

HH0Q2sN.png

14 hours ago, Pappystein said:

First I would like to showcase my Cobbled/scabbed/stand-up guyized 3.125m SM for the Big-G:

https://imgur.com/a/8C9IDDd

I didn't not realize that the CRE mod did NOT have Bluestreak parts....  Shame on me for not looking at it when I downloaded it.   @CobaltWolf's Blue-Streak has an excellent length 1.25m to 0.9375m structural part that works for the docking port.

I had to make due with a stock structural part that is too wide....   Ach-So!

Non BDB parts used are RLA's 5 way RCS, and the ugly Stock 45degree structural cone and some nifty solar panels.   I THINK everything else is BDB or tweak-scaled BDB.

That Big G is... uh... interesting...

I think we 'lost' the Blue Streak when Beale decided to redo his CRE parts prior to initial release and suddenly the art styles didn't match. I haven't had a chance to look at it again. (And Blue Streak-derived stuff is some of my favorite stuff ever so I won't let someone else mess with it :P )

9 hours ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

It took some time, but I managed to calculate the Δv capability of an Atlas rocket in this mod as a stage and half rocket. Mechjeb and/or KER calculate the Δv as a normal rocket, sot the actual Δv you get is different from the one shown by mechjeb.

~Snip~

I compiled a manual on how to use this kind of Δv map for planning an Atlas rocket launch. It has a step by step tutorial on how to analyse and improve your Atlas launches without having to crunch a large amount of numbers just by looking at a chart no complicated maths needed. But if complicated maths are you thing, there is also a section explaining how to calculate the Δv for a stage and half rocket. 

The manual is not complete yet, it only has the Δv map for a single Atlas version (the short one some posts above) but in future™ it will have most of the standard Atlas versions shown in the wiki.

Reveal hidden contents

4 hours ago, PhantomC3PO said:

@Marcelo Silveira, Awesome work on your manual. Very easy to read and understand what you're doing. Great Job

I'm going to be honest, I went to art school. I don't know what half those symbols mean. Otherwise its very cool! :)

The Atlas manual is now pretty much complete, next step is making the Δv maps for the standard Atlas/Bossart rockets.

open the image below, it is too large to be displayed correctly in the forum

JB6Hx7M.png

This image is currently a prototype, the final version will look better, I promise.

If you want to know how to use this type of Δv map to plan your Atlas/Bossart launches, please read the manual below

Atlas Performance Analysis on Dropbox

Edited by Marcelo Silveira
typo fix, there is always a typo

11 hours ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

WOW that is a lot of work!   Thanks for doing this!   Now if there was just someone who could make a plugin that uses code like Auto-Asparagus but populated on DV/TWR/Total Rocket mass.   :)  Cause I am certain it will be a lot more complex to calculate by hand when Saturn S-ID is complete....

Oh and I promised a MX stage 1 MM file for the SR-118.   Has less mass, less fuel, is shorter but more powerful than the Castor-120 (MX needed to get UP AND AWAY fast not be the most efficient launch.)   If you try to do a Minotaur VI with the SR118 then you will be fine where as the CASTOR-120 will be hard pressed to launch a full sized Satellite

Spoiler

+PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_Castor120]
{
    @name = bluedog_Peacekeeper_SR118x
    @MODEL
    {
        %scale = 1, 0.910, 1
    }
    @node_stack_top[1,,] *= 0.910
    @node_stack_bottom[1,,] *= 0.910
    @cost = 1640
    @mass = 1.95
    @title = Paxcustos-RS118 "Minotauro-1" Solid Rocket Booster
    @description = The first stage of the Military Deterrent Paxcustos rocket system, the Minotauro-1 can launch peaceful satellites into orbit at a fraction of the cost of other orbiters.   

@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
    {

@maxThrust = 499

@atmosphereCurve
        {
            @key = 0 282
            @key = 1 229

}
    }
    @RESOURCE[SolidFuel]
    {
        @amount *= 0.87
        @maxAmount *= 0.87
    }
}
@PART[bluedog_Peacekeeper_SR118x]:NEEDS[Bluedog_Realnames]
{
    @title = LGM-118 Stage 1 (SR118)
    @description = First stage of the LGM-118 Peacekeeper (MX) missile.  Refurbished MX missiles became the Minotaur 3, 4, 5 and 6 Family.  With the exception of Minotaur 6 this is the first stage engine.  Minotaur 6 uses it for the first and second stages.

}

Please note that this part is still in development and could be updated.   The Thrust curve is in some need of TLC...  the SR118 has a hybrid grain pattern that gives a very high impulse at ignition to get the MX up and away from the cold launch silo.  Then The longer burning lower thrust grain takes over quickly to provide the remainder of the thrust.  None of the thrust curves I have seen approximate this well enough to represent the Peacekeeper/Minotaur flight profile.  While there are "Workarounds" I could perform to solve this... they are in-elegant and actually cause other issues.  

I'm starting a new Kerbalism/RealFuels save with BDB and ProbesPlus as main mods and just have a few questions for anyone that has tried this before...

-Which rescale is the best? I've tried both 2.5x and 3.2x, but can't really test everything.

-Aside from Titan, which boosters also need a slight boost in TWR?

-Is there a way to configure TAC-LS configs for Kerbalism? Resources are the same, it would just need a slight change in anmounts (and for some reason none of the cfgs I've tried writing have worked). Also, using TAC can create a few issues, even with proper configs.

3 hours ago, Pappystein said:

~snip~

Cause I am certain it will be a lot more complex to calculate by hand when Saturn S-ID ~snip~

nah, I wrote a code to calculate the Δv. When S-ID comes out I can just change some lines at it will calculate its Δv with no problem. Writing the manual in a simple and clear way with pretty pictures was a lot more work in fact.

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

~snip~ None of the thrust curves I have seen approximate this well enough to represent the Peacekeeper/Minotaur flight profile.  While there are "Workarounds" I could perform to solve this... they are in-elegant and actually cause other issues.

The real thrust profiles of this kind of engine are sensitive information, so they won't be free floating on the internet. However you basically 'draw' a spline and use some maths to calculate the corresponding thrust curve. You can use the engines parameters that already are in public domain and one arbitrary spline. I did it before for the ATK pack and some SRBs in this mod. If you really want to add a realistic thrust profile, I can help you with that.

As a slight out-of-date aerospace engineer (no kidding), KSP fan and space history enthusiast, I love this mod though I haven't actually done a play through with it (mostly because I'd have to install something like TweakScale and/or RSS to get the most use from it).  I've been reading the thread here pretty regularly on and off over the years with each new release of KSP, just to see the amazing modeling work and discussion of "what if" launch vehicles and architectures. 

However, if you'll pardon the question: what does "LDC" stand for in all the discussion posts?  Thanks. :) 

12 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

As a slight out-of-date aerospace engineer (no kidding), KSP fan and space history enthusiast, I love this mod though I haven't actually done a play through with it (mostly because I'd have to install something like TweakScale and/or RSS to get the most use from it).  I've been reading the thread here pretty regularly on and off over the years with each new release of KSP, just to see the amazing modeling work and discussion of "what if" launch vehicles and architectures. 

However, if you'll pardon the question: what does "LDC" stand for in all the discussion posts?  Thanks. :) 

Large-Diameter Core, specifically referring to the Titan series of rockets. Generally, LDC/Large Diameter Core proposals generally involved widening the Titan first (or second) stages to around 4-6m. This range is due to there being multiple LDC proposals, the most noteworthy being the "Barbarian" proposal from the mid-1980s to launch the huge Strategic Defense Initiative (otherwise known as Star Wars!) payloads in place of the inadequate STS, and the specific LDC proposal that Cobalt is apparently basing most of his new parts off of.

2 minutes ago, Saltshaker said:

Large-Diameter Core, specifically referring to the Titan series of rockets ...

Thanks. I *thought* that might be how the acronym was being used but, you know, with a 458 page thread, even searching the thread for the "thread-canonical" definition of the acronym wasn't helping much - I just saw page after page of use in discussion of designs and concepts with no specification to be sure. And coming from a background in the real-life aerospace industry, I can assure you that we have acronyms for acronyms, and make up or re-use others on a whim.  :) 

2 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

Which rescale is the best? I've tried both 2.5x and 3.2x, but can't really test everything.

The Rescale! page sums it up pretty well. For our purposes, 6.4x is the farthest you can go and expect things to work. It will also require the full size Saturn rescale. It's been a while since we've had feedback on 6.4x so there may be issues. Anyone who has advanced past the flight straight up and turn right method of reaching orbit will find 2.5 or 3.2 enjoyable.

THE SIZES

2.5x - The optimal size for users who want a bigger system but still want to use stock parts.

3.2x - About the same as 2.5x but a step up in difficulty.

6.4x - A much larger rescale that may require you to rescale the stock parts via SMURFF or RO. Or don't. It's your life.

2 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

Is there a way to configure TAC-LS configs for Kerbalism?

Isn't Kerbalism a life support mod, making them mutually exclusive?

6 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

I'm starting a new Kerbalism/RealFuels save with BDB and ProbesPlus as main mods and just have a few questions for anyone that has tried this before...

-Which rescale is the best? I've tried both 2.5x and 3.2x, but can't really test everything.

-Aside from Titan, which boosters also need a slight boost in TWR?

-Is there a way to configure TAC-LS configs for Kerbalism? Resources are the same, it would just need a slight change in anmounts (and for some reason none of the cfgs I've tried writing have worked). Also, using TAC can create a few issues, even with proper configs.

I am currently running Kerbalism and 2.5x, considering adding real fuels as well

I find this a great mix of difficulty and lack of grind that stays enjoyable.

Also I have just a few days ago made my own kerbalism supply configs for this mod so if you would like those I can provide them. I was going to touch them up a little more and check the number of Kerbal Days for each container and then offer them to @CobaltWolf. Kerbalism has inbuilt support for everything except BDBs resupply containers which is an easy single patch fix

also in terms of Titan-If you use the configs in the extras folder which lower the fuel tank volumes to more realistic levels it actually makes titans TWR correct as well. Slightly cuts the Delta-V as you’d expect but payload is very similar in 2.5x. Easily lifts Gemini without any extra thrust

Edited by dbandy13

On 11/6/2018 at 4:30 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Nice, I'll add that link to the OP. They're both required, right?

If you mean SD and Rescale! then

1- SD is required to rescale the system but needs someone to tell it the rescale parameters

2- Rescale! will tell SD which parameters to use

so someone could use SD with custom settings (it's pretty easy)

alternatively, if they want to use Rescale! then yes, they need both SD and Rescale!

51 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

If you mean SD and Rescale! then

1- SD is required to rescale the system but needs someone to tell it the rescale parameters

2- Rescale! will tell SD which parameters to use

so someone could use SD with custom settings (it's pretty easy)

alternatively, if they want to use Rescale! then yes, they need both SD and Rescale!

Do note that Rescale hasn't been updated for 1.4/1.5, and according to its thread, doesn't work in 1.4.