[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 1/18/2019 at 9:49 PM, CobaltWolf said:

The MEM, since it really can only go together one way, had most of the stuff integrated to make it easier for people to build.

Are you sure? e.g. removing side tanks/rcs

p.s. There is an image that says that MEM legs are available as separate parts Where are they? Also I don't see those dish antennas

On 1/18/2019 at 9:49 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Flexibility is the reason why we have things like extra nodes. If you're not capable of recreating the historical missions there isn't much of a point in making historical parts?

On 1/19/2019 at 4:43 AM, cineboxandrew said:

Oh?

800px-Apollo_5_on_pad.jpg

Sorry, i'm not that much into rocket history.

17 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Actually with the exception of fuel it is very stockalike.   And there is a reason that all these mod authors are using Hydrolox fuel.

It is not that much stockalike. These models, textures... Hydrolox is not stockalike either,  just because it adds complexity in fuel, all rocket engines in KSP use lfo mix.

Edited by Gapone

1 hour ago, Kerbal01 said:

Sweet looking. RS-56 OBA and XLR-105? or is there a RS-56 OSA I haven't seen yet.

If my memory serves the RS-56OSA and the LR-105 use the same basic bell structure it is just different plumbing and internals that make the major differences.  Those internals are derived from the H-2/RS-27.   Most pictures of the RS-56OSA show so much ablative batting that it is actually quite hard to see the bell.   And most photos without the Batting actually show the RS-56 OBA because most photo journalists (and most non techy admins in NASA GD LMSD ULA etc see RS-56 and grab the first thing they find.)

Alright, here's what I hope to be THE LAST PART for this release! We ran into some game breaking (and mechjeb breaking) issues with having the retro solids built into the lower half of the Atlas V CCB. So, we had to make new parts for them. I'm happy to say they were easy to place, something which I was worried about earlier. Here you are, the Star-5F retro solid!

b9AnycE.png

29 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Here you are, the Star-5F retro solid!

AKA "Fire Extinguisher painted white" :)  (I am kidding)

I look forward to the release.  This parts pack has definitely been my go-to pack for launch vehicles.  I keep trying to use other mods packs, but most of them require tweaks to fit the way I want to play.  BDB is pretty much ready to rock out of the box.

22 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

I want to have a proper-sized exhaust hole so the GEMs don't blast into the pad deck

Simply launch more rockets, they will cut out the appropriate sized hole for you.

Edited by komodo

12 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@CobaltWolf I don't know if this has been mentioned or reported on the github page, but the Peacekeeper LF/O orbital insertion thruster "Orestes" (bottom-middle in pic) has a messed up plume that's permanently on.

Hmm, seems alright on my end. Can you check with a full fresh install of BDB?

f9m13gh.png

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hmm, seems alright on my end. Can you check with a full fresh install of BDB?

Odd, though my install is heavily modded, nonetheless I'll do some more testing tomorrow (I have so many mods installed it takes about half an hour to launch), then with a fresh install too.

Edited by golkaidakhaana

1 minute ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Hmm... What changed with the OGO solar panels recently that's save-breaking? Is it something that's easy to fix on my end, or will I have to wait until my in-flight missions using that panel no longer have them attached to update that particular part?

I was planning on redoing them before the release, so I changed the .cfg to a .txt to stop it from loading. However... I think I'm going to keep them and if I remake the panels they'll just be added separately. :) I'll get that fixed on Github right now...

7 hours ago, Gapone said:

Are you sure? e.g. removing side tanks/rcs

p.s. There is an image that says that MEM legs are available as separate parts Where are they? Also I don't see those dish antennas

Those side tanks you are thinking of are the actual fuel tanks of the real LM, they had to be at different distances to balance the different densities of the fuel and oxidiser-that will not change as it is part of the influencing design.

Removing the RCS is also a bad idea because it causes lots of complaints from players who forget or have trouble accurately placing them for docking. They are an integral part of the parts intended purpose though so I cannot see how they could be an issue. 

The legs used to be available separately but again I think @CobaltWolf integrated them for the same reason, ease of use. I could see some arguments for not having these or maybe a separate version/model switch without legs but 90% of players would be using it as a lander.

7 hours ago, Gapone said:

It is not that much stockalike. These models, textures... Hydrolox is not stockalike either,  just because it adds complexity in fuel, all rocket engines in KSP use lfo mix.

The models and textures are what make BDB what it is-Amazing!!! @CobaltWolf is doing his best to bring us historical rockets in an art style that is close to stock. I routinely use both parts happily alongside each other as do many others.

Also if you want to get rid of hydrolox then you may as well get rid of the Centaur, S-II & S-IVB. These parts can not be easily recreated using LfO mixes as it is way too dense and they end up too heavy. The only solution is to reduce the part fuel capacity but then I’m sure there would be complaints about them not being fairly balanced to other parts of their size. It is no great difficulty to use a hydrolox stage, there are enough choices of engines in BDB that use it and this is the only real incompatibility. It also provides you with a great ability, more delta v from a lighter stage and thus earlier, cheaper rockets.

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Alright, here's what I hope to be THE LAST PART for this release! We ran into some game breaking (and mechjeb breaking) issues with having the retro solids built into the lower half of the Atlas V CCB. So, we had to make new parts for them. I'm happy to say they were easy to place, something which I was worried about earlier. Here you are, the Star-5F retro solid!

Ok so maybe I am dumb but I have never had issues with MechJeb and the new Atlas-V tank/Seperatron.   The only caveat is you have to have the Decoupler stage WITH the Seperatron.      It is a Nice part none the less!   And I have a LOT of uses for it right now (X-20 Escape booster or via Tweakscale a ZeLL booster?

So I did a little playing on KSP yesterday... Turns out KSP = Bad for my Arm Injury still....    :(   Anyway I mentioned in my previous post about ZeLL.   If you do not know what that is it is an acronym for Zero Length Launch.  It was something that was experimented with heavily starting in Germany in World War II (Bachem Ba-349 Natter) and would be tested on many of the early Supersonic fighters in both the Soviet Union and the United States (I think France and England both tested aircraft this way as well but not to the extent of the US or Soviet efforts.)

Here are some pictures using the incomplete X-20 by @IronCretin  and the BDB S-IV Sep Motor.

BwqQbw6.jpgmLU3yQx.jpg

The forward engine has 2% fuel load and just lifts the nose up so the plane does not auger in before positive lift can be generated by the wings.    The X-20 in this form gets to about 4000m and 300m/s speed.   Please note that I could not use the actual X-20 tails (for some reason they are non-operational) and I added 2x Castor Fins from BDB.  

I also attempted to launch the X-20 on a MX Missile:

TqS5V3y.jpg

With BAD RESULTS (2nd stage and 1st stage both needed more fin area. and I had the broken tails on the X-20)

And Finally someone was complaining about Saturn-MLV not capable of launching anything worth-while...And begging for the Nova

ErIWRZd.jpg

That is a Full Saturn V-MLV-2.5 with 2x AJ-260 SRMs with the liquid fuel tank on-top, a Stretched MS-1C, MS-IIA and MS-IVC carrying a Skylab (ABOVE the S-IVC) with 5 STANDARD F-1 Engines (not F-1As,) 7 Standard J-2 engines on the MS-IIA stage and 2x J-2T-250k Torrodial on the MS-IVC stage.  I parked the Skylab in orbit of Minimus and the S-IVC tanks had almost all their fuel left... I returned S-IVC to Kerbin and had I had a couple of parachutes and landing legs on it could have recovered it.   I am estimating I had enough Delta V to park the Station in Duna, if I was willing to wait ~300 days for a transfer orbit.    This was a Drylab Skylab (It does not contain fuel for the MS-IVC stage) and I had a Docking hub (COS from SSTU) under the fairing in addition to a small comm-sat.)  While I got a Contract Complete and all, the Kracken destroyed the ship (but strangely not the mission complete) when the game crashed as the MS-IVC was re-entering atmo.... I am going to re-launch it in 200 game days to actually try to put it into a Duna or Eve orbit (Undecided at this time what way to go.)

BTW @CobaltWolf @Jso @JadeOfMaar  I LOVE the various new engine effects that have been implemented.   JadeOfMaar, you have outdone yourself by creating them!

Edited by Pappystein
Cleaned up post removing some artifacts and fixing punctuation.

8 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

But the D2 Mod has nothing to do with BDB. So post it in the D2-thread.

I posted it when Cobaltwolf reffered to it as "stockalike".

p.s. your capsules without heatshields cause very slight drag

Edited by Gapone

7 hours ago, Pappystein said:

So I did a little playing on KSP yesterday... Turns out KSP = Bad for my Arm Injury still....    :(   Anyway I mentioned in my previous post about ZeLL.   If you do not know what that is it is an acronym for Zero Length Launch.  It was something that was experimented with heavily starting in Germany in World War II (Bachem Ba-349 Natter) and would be tested on many of the early Supersonic fighters in both the Soviet Union and the United States (I think France and England both tested aircraft this way as well but not to the extent of the US or Soviet efforts.)

Here are some pictures using the incomplete X-20 by @IronCretin  and the BDB S-IV Sep Motor.

BwqQbw6.jpgmLU3yQx.jpg

The forward engine has 2% fuel load and just lifts the nose up so the plane does not auger in before positive lift can be generated by the wings.    The X-20 in this form gets to about 4000m and 300m/s speed.   Please note that I could not use the actual X-20 tails (for some reason they are non-operational) and I added 2x Castor Fins from BDB.  

I also attempted to launch the X-20 on a MX Missile:

TqS5V3y.jpg

With BAD RESULTS (2nd stage and 1st stage both needed more fin area. and I had the broken tails on the X-20)

And Finally someone was complaining about Saturn-MLV not capable of launching anything worth-while...And begging for the Nova

ErIWRZd.jpg

That is a Full Saturn V-MLV-2.5 with 2x AJ-260 SRMs with the liquid fuel tank on-top, a Stretched MS-1C, MS-IIA and MS-IVC carrying a Skylab (ABOVE the S-IVC) with 5 STANDARD F-1 Engines (not F-1As,) 7 Standard J-2 engines on the MS-IIA stage and 2x J-2T-250k Torrodial on the MS-IVC stage.  I parked the Skylab in orbit of Minimus and the S-IVC tanks had almost all their fuel left... I returned S-IVC to Kerbin and had I had a couple of parachutes and landing legs on it could have recovered it.   I am estimating I had enough Delta V to park the Station in Duna, if I was willing to wait ~300 days for a transfer orbit.    This was a Drylab Skylab (It does not contain fuel for the MS-IVC stage) and I had a Docking hub (COS from SSTU) under the fairing in addition to a small comm-sat.)  While I got a Contract Complete and all, the Kracken destroyed the ship (but strangely not the mission complete) when the game crashed as the MS-IVC was re-entering atmo.... I am going to re-launch it in 200 game days to actually try to put it into a Duna or Eve orbit (Undecided at this time what way to go.)

BTW @CobaltWolf @Jso @JadeOfMaar  I LOVE the various new engine effects that have been implemented.   JadeOfMaar, you have outdone yourself by creating them!

I still want the Nova though, cause its cool. show me what you will with the Saturn MLV, the Nova still out-classes it