[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 1/20/2019 at 6:50 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Hmm, seems alright on my end. Can you check with a full fresh install of BDB?

Can confirm on the Dioscuri 4, Dioscuri OPT71, and Orestes have plumage at no throttle.

Fresh install of KSP 1.6.1, latest BDB, latest Realplume.

43 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I still want the Nova though, cause its cool. show me what you will with the Saturn MLV, the Nova still out-classes it

I must concede to you on the latter point, but Cobalt has said he will not be doing Nova/Saturn C-8 because there are so many possible configurations to choose from. And even then, any chance he would make it would have to wait until the Saturn parts revamp, the date(s) of which are still in the future (think 2020-ish).

1 hour ago, Saltshaker said:

I must concede to you on the latter point, but Cobalt has said he will not be doing Nova/Saturn C-8 because there are so many possible configurations to choose from. And even then, any chance he would make it would have to wait until the Saturn parts revamp, the date(s) of which are still in the future (think 2020-ish).

awww. but oh well

3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I still want the Nova though, cause its cool. show me what you will with the Saturn MLV, the Nova still out-classes it

Except the Nova couldn't use AJ-260s as the short versions are too tall,  And Nova limited to a "Correct" height SRM has LOWER Delta V potential than Saturn MLV   Biggest RW SRM that could fit on Nova would have been UA-1204...    You might be able to push a UA-1205 but the UA-1206 and UA-1207 is completely out of the picture... Let alone the CSD-1563 (that is the UA-120x family's big 156" brother) or any AJ-260.   Issue is where the SRM attaches to the stage.     Make a Stage large enough to allow something like the CSD-1563 and you are now using too much mass...   The 8 Engines wouldn't be able to sustain the Rocket's forward acceleration after SRM burnout.

But it is Cool that you like Nova.   It would be even cooler if someone was willing to make a set of Nova Parts that are BDB-Alike. and collaborate with Cobaltwolf on the little things (not put parts in their Nova pack that are already in BDB specifically.) But I was actually referring to someone else who said BDB Saturn MLV parts couldn't reach the Mun like 20 pages ago..  

I0RH1m8.png

PFiwUVu.png

Delta = love.gif

Seriously, I find myself using Delta II for many missions I run that require 1-1.5 km/s dV after reaching LKO... I just love that rocket. I may need to go so far as to add the slight delay between groundstart booster jettison trios, tbh... it just looks weird to have all six come off at once.

13 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

12 hours ago, [email protected] said:

awww. but oh well

Another reason I'm not interested is doing Nova would require adding another size class of parts which then require additional adapters, etc. Plus it's just always looked kinda ugly to me :P

13 hours ago, Deltac said:

Can confirm on the Dioscuri 4, Dioscuri OPT71, and Orestes have plumage at no throttle.

Fresh install of KSP 1.6.1, latest BDB, latest Realplume.

13 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

Do you have SmokeScreen installed (dependency for RealPlume)?

12 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Hmmm, I only experience it with the Orestes.

Alright, so these are all RealPlume issues? I can't say we've been too focused on RP lately - @JadeOfMaar's new stock plumes are so nice! I'll try and check it out and see what needs to be done.

9 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

~snip~

Delta = love.gif

Seriously, I find myself using Delta II for many missions I run that require 1-1.5 km/s dV after reaching LKO... I just love that rocket. I may need to go so far as to add the slight delay between groundstart booster jettison trios, tbh... it just looks weird to have all six come off at once.

It is a really nice little rocket that punches above it's weight. What have you been launching with it?

Alright, time for a little announcement. Pending making sure that the last few bugs are squashed... we are planning on releasing the new update for BDB this Friday evening (eastern time). It will be exactly 51 weeks since the last BDB release, so I managed to take not quite a full year to get all this crap done. I wish I could have done a lot more, but we'll see if I can make up for it in 2019. :) To help get y'all excited, here's a couple more part preview images.

EDIT: I just counted, I believe there's at least 63 new or remade parts in this release, not counting the LDC Titan parts (which are unfinished and won't be included in this release - they're still in the master on Github, of course :) )

LMbn26G.pngHLLlE0m.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

15 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

given this is just a parts pack, can I drop this into my 1.3.1 install and have it work?

Um you would have to have the KSP Version correct Dependencies but I will tell you now...  Join 1.6.1,   1.6.1 is where it is at :)

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

It is a really nice little rocket that punches above it's weight. What have you been launching with it?

oI5jnpa.png

2oUYbfZ.png

yFeNBlM.png
Basically, if it'll fit inside of a 1.875 meter diameter cylinder, has a 0.625 or 0.9375 m base, is less than 3 tonnes,  and needs 1-1.5 km/s dV after reaching LKO, I'll use Delta. If I need a relay after arrival, the upper stage is generally perfect for that... just slap on an antenna or two and some deployable solar panels, and tada! Instant relay satellite.

4 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Autostrut to grandparent, good sir, and you don't need KJR. ;)

AGREED 100%   Except I alt Heaviest / Command.   

Saturn MLV + AJ-260 is EASY to launch doing this.  

Edited by Pappystein

5 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Um you would have to have the KSP Version correct Dependencies but I will tell you now...  Join 1.6.1,   1.6.1 is where it is at :)

Not when i'm through with it!

5 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

bugger.

and a few...shall we say..critical mods *cough* kjr *cough* arent yet updated to 1.6.1

The only real issue here is B9PartSwitch, and im currently cooking up a 1.3 backport of the node-jumping feature(what BDB will use).

On 1/20/2019 at 6:37 PM, sslaptnhablhat said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned or reported on the github page, but the Peacekeeper LF/O orbital insertion thruster "Orestes" (bottom-middle in pic) has a messed up plume that's permanently on.

I don't have time right now to thoroughly test it for what I broke fixing it but a possible fix for that is up. It's occurring on all engines with RCS thrusters on them.

One last glamour shot, this time from the VAB...

8yfiEaa.png

Technically, it's an Atlas Muo V 53x, as the second stage is not a Centaur Inon, but you get the picture... Thrust offset is actually pretty managable. RCSBuildAid says ~35 Kilonewton-Meters of torque in the downrange direction with the boosters lit, which is well within the vehicle's ability to compensate for.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

8 minutes ago, Saltshaker said:

I recommend simply looking at the real spacecraft they were based on.

I was just going to suggest that. Most of the early tech probes would just be the core and that's it. Looking at you, Pioneer

Pioneer-3-4.gif

Here's Cobalt's album post for Lunar Orbiter: 

Thanks for the Lunar Orbiter picture link, but how do I assemble the cylindrical one with wrap around solar panels? I don't know what it is based on either?

The link doesn't work, but thankyou anyway. :)

Edited by Barzon Kerman