[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

33 minutes ago, Taki117 said:

That is far too low if you're just deploying your chutes, especially with realchute. It takes a few seconds for them to deploy reefed, and then a handful of seconds to fully deploy. Watch your speed, bit 7-10km for pre-deploy and then 2500-5km for full deploy. 

Assuming you have it set up to pre-deploy at 1200m, and then immediately full deploy, there's not enough time for the chutes to fully deploy before you hit the ground.

Agreed, Also depending on if you are using a re-scaled system or stock system will affect this.   In my 2.5x Galileo play-through I am currently playing through, I don't auto-stage but wait until my Apollo capsule has slowed to ~220m/s and below 8000m and above 3300m.

Further, are you using a Pilot on the Capsule?  Remote control can be setup to have plasma blackout... If so the chutes may not deploy if no pilot/crew is present.

IF you are doing all the above as we suggest and still having problems... 

Spoiler

Try removing KerbalJointReinforcement.    It is an AMAZING MOD but 2 to 4 years ago I was having the same issues and determined a combination of my mods in conjunction with KJR were causing the issue...   I had to choose between un-installing all my mods and installing them one at a time manually, restarting the game after each mod was loaded to find the issue or just not using KJR.   Now KJR may not be what is triggering other mods not to work right in your build... but it was in mine.   HOWEVER I have to be clear... if removing KJR solves the issue it is NOT KJR's FAULT!    It is the fault of the mod that was written in such a way as to not work correctly when installed with KJR.   I have also seen Tweak-everything cause this in the pre LGG era (I haven't used Tweakeverything since  LinuxGuruGamer took over maintaining it.)

4 hours ago, davidy12 said:

The apollo chutes just won't slow me down.

There's no RealChute config for Apollo. Those are always stock. You should be able to press space to deploy at 3000 meters (about 10,000 feet) and be safe.

Rebuild your craft completely from scratch. No craft files, no sub assemblies. Do not tinker with the default chute settings. Turn off time warp before deploying. Post a screenshot with the UI visible just after the drogues initially deploy, and another just before impact so we can see what's going on.

Try activating the LES from the pad and see if that makes a difference.

1 hour ago, Taki117 said:

Had a question about the Launch Vehicle Technical Data page of the Wiki. the Thor series of rockets have an x in the LKO column, what does that mean?

It means no data, aka, I haven't gotten to it yet. That page is very old and needs to be redone.

On 2/17/2019 at 3:17 AM, Anders Kerman said:

How can one place the Skylab Anntennae without them being locked...

The Skylab antenna are tricky to place. I place them in mirror symmetry (R in the VAB) with the mounts 'vertical', on the edge of the fairing 'start point' at the ends of the struts on either side of the airlock. Then I use the translation gizmo to move them slightly in and down.

10 hours ago, Taki117 said:

Had a question about the Launch Vehicle Technical Data page of the Wiki. the Thor series of rockets have an x in the LKO column, what does that mean?

8 hours ago, Jso said:

It means no data, aka, I haven't gotten to it yet. That page is very old and needs to be redone.

Yeah, plus we're holding off on doing wiki work for stuff that's planned to be redone... which is basically everything other than Atlas and the stuff in the most recent update :P

Starting to feel the itch to work on BDB again and taper off my Metro playtime. It's so good tho... in the meantime, here's something I think people on this thread will enjoy. @TimothyC shared these amazing works from over on Shipbucket by user BB1987. You probably have to open them in a new tab to see the glory. Can't wait to see the Titan stuff he's working on, though I'm pretty sure, surprisingly, that will have the fewest variants out of all of these! Or perhaps not, since he seems to be accounting for minor differences in things like fairing height and paint scheme. I'd hazard to say something functionally equivalent to all the Atlas variants are buildable in BDB, the Thor/Delta stuff will have to wait until the next update, when I'm planning on redoing the Thor/Able/early Delta parts at a much higher level of detail and accuracy. :)

1gEs5li.pngebNKvur.pngWFxWHXW.png

That image is a thing of beauty and will complement your wiki nicely!  Not being any kind of expert, I'm still scratching my head slightly on all the different variations and how to actually build them in game.  I find myself alt tabbing between the old BDB Manuael, Github Wiki and Wikipaedia to figure out rocket and rocket part names and which bit goes with what ("...is a Centaur V the same as a Centaur Common which is the Inon-D I think (?) but does that have the single or dual engine and then which engine mount should it use of the two available in the VAB...oh it can use either depending on what mood NASA was in that day....and then what rocket does it go on...oh wait it was called Common for a reason, it went on lots of different rockets so which launch stage should I use for...uhuh got it but...goddamit Jeb, get back here with the SAS unit you cheaky little blighter").  Of course I then need to finalise a design that has practical application in game for the payload and mission...

10 minutes ago, Friznit said:

That image is a thing of beauty and will complement your wiki nicely!  Not being any kind of expert, I'm still scratching my head slightly on all the different variations and how to actually build them in game.  I find myself alt tabbing between the old BDB Manuael, Github Wiki and Wikipaedia to figure out rocket and rocket part names and which bit goes with what ("...is a Centaur V the same as a Centaur Common which is the Inon-D I think (?) but does that have the single or dual engine and then which engine mount should it use of the two available in the VAB...oh it can use either depending on what mood NASA was in that day....and then what rocket does it go on...oh wait it was called Common for a reason, it went on lots of different rockets so which launch stage should I use for...uhuh got it but...goddamit Jeb, get back here with the SAS unit you cheaky little blighter").  Of course I then need to finalise a design that has practical application in game for the payload and mission...

If it makes you feel any better, I often lose track as well. I only just learned several days ago that the LR-87-AJ11 and LR-91-AJ11 didn't debut with the Titan IV...

2 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Will the Centaur-D tank, D1 tank, TG tanks, interstage, fairing, avionics cores and dual-engine mount be revamped eventually, or are they fine for the moment?

I'm currently unhappy with them but don't know when they'll get revamped. :)I would like to do it some day. Basically, any part that I already touched up but only wound up messing with the textures is on the list for eventual revamp because they really should have all been remade from scratch.

Of course, the RL10s aren't up to snuff either but I really don't want to redo them considering I just put the effort into making 2 new ones in the last update...

Out of curiosity, if we could figure out how to actually model the detachable insulation panels of the older Centaurs would people be interested, or is that too complicated? I always felt it was too complicated to be worth doing but given the more realistic/detailed direction of the mod these days...

55 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Out of curiosity, if we could figure out how to actually model the detachable insulation panels of the older Centaurs would people be interested, or is that too complicated? I always felt it was too complicated to be worth doing but given the more realistic/detailed direction of the mod these days...

If it's not too difficult to implement, I'd go for it. If it'd be a pain to do, skip it.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Out of curiosity, if we could figure out how to actually model the detachable insulation panels of the older Centaurs would people be interested, or is that too complicated?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. As it stands BDB is probably the most versatile mod Ive ever seen. You can make historic stuff, or toss parts together to make whatever you want.  I wouldn't change that at all and I feel like adding more realism would do just that.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Personally I don't see the point... that is unless they actually modify how boil-off works for BDB?

Or if you need it to make the stage look better.

Edited by Pappystein

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Centaur V instead

1 hour ago, Barzon Kerman said:

I personally would like a dual mount for the Centaur V, if possible?

The original Centaur Engine plate was re-made...ish.  It now has built in RCS?!...  It supports 2x engine mounting and is similar shape/size to the Centaur V engine plate.

So for the longest time we have had Launch escape systems for Apollo, and Mercury in this beautiful mod.   But never has there been a LES for Gemini.   Yes part of the reason is that the SM is made as one part and not two (lets NOT go down that road please!) BUT with the new Atlas V Seperation motor... we can come up with a LES that works in all flight modes:

pezNyXH.jpg

Yes that is TWO of the new Atlas V stage seperatrons added with the most recent release on each TB-16 on the Big Gemini capsule.    With 6 pairs of these mini SRMs I was, in 2.5scale Galileo, able to abort a Big-G in any flight mode other than pointing down at 1000m or less.   I have not tested on a Basic Gemini capsule yet but I am hopeful that only 4x total of the SRMs are needed to safely save a Gemini.... (Say that 5 times fast.)

More pictures of the BigG Service module in this post:   They are post Escape module separation however.

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

If it makes you feel any better, I often lose track as well. I only just learned several days ago that the LR-87-AJ11 and LR-91-AJ11 didn't debut with the Titan IV...

I learned this while doing some research for the TItan IIIA page on wikipedia. Ed Kyle's site set me straight.

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh, if someone is wondering about that "Delta K" in the unflown Deltas page, I believe it is using the HOSS upper stage, which I plan on including in the eventual Thor revamp. :)

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19680024929.pdf

Didn't the japanese end up doing basically this with the N-I/II rocket that was delta derived?

Edited by Kerbal01