[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

So can I make what I HOPE is a simple request.... Can the Life-support tanks get Mono-propellant added as a fuel choice?   I am not using Life support in game and I have just launched a Dorian.... And ran it completely out of mono-propellant because I have not unlocked any of those tanks.  I have 3 useless to me Life-support tanks (Agena, MOL and a 3rd from a different mod.)  All of them currently have ORE as their only cargo.    I made due with an extremely large Titan Transtage tank combo and fuel switching but I could have refueled it with a smaller cheaper lighter Agena and it's LS tank.

3 hours ago, Pappystein said:

So can I make what I HOPE is a simple request.... Can the Life-support tanks get Mono-propellant added as a fuel choice?   I am not using Life support in game and I have just launched a Dorian.... And ran it completely out of mono-propellant because I have not unlocked any of those tanks.  I have 3 useless to me Life-support tanks (Agena, MOL and a 3rd from a different mod.)  All of them currently have ORE as their only cargo.    I made due with an extremely large Titan Transtage tank combo and fuel switching but I could have refueled it with a smaller cheaper lighter Agena and it's LS tank.

This is an excellent DIY type of thing to learn. Look at the second block in https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/blob/master/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Snacks/Supply.cfg as an example. Copy that block into  a new MM config elsewhere in your game data. (Name it tweaks.cfg or something). Cross out where it says snacks tank type and write in "bdbMonoProp". You are now on the path to being a MM sorcerer. 

Edited by komodo
Accidentally the entire thing

30 minutes ago, komodo said:

This is an excellent DIY type of thing to learn. Look at the second block in https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/blob/master/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Snacks/Supply.cfg as an example. Copy that block into  a new MM config elsewhere in your game data. (Name it tweaks.cfg or something). Cross out where it says snacks tank type and write in "bdbMonoProp". You are now on the path to being a MM sorcerer. 

I do know how to do that but thanks for the heads up :)   I am currently running AZ50/NTO in the Titan and Apollo and Delta etc so the patching isn't the issue.  I was asking because I am sure I am not the only one who could use a MP refill at station Dorian well before the mono tanks unlock.  The Agena LS tank is a perfect size for a resupply early and since it is a non standard size (1.0-1.1m) no one can easily integrated it into a rocket to "cheat" Mono-propellant into their ships early unless they are Tweakscaled.

On 3/27/2019 at 1:11 AM, Pappystein said:

I do know how to do that but thanks for the heads up :)   I am currently running AZ50/NTO in the Titan and Apollo and Delta etc so the patching isn't the issue.  I was asking because I am sure I am not the only one who could use a MP refill at station Dorian well before the mono tanks unlock.  The Agena LS tank is a perfect size for a resupply early and since it is a non standard size (1.0-1.1m) no one can easily integrated it into a rocket to "cheat" Mono-propellant into their ships early unless they are Tweakscaled.

Would you mind sharing your config? I've always been interested in fuel differentiation but didnt want to go the real fuels route, I currently have Methalox added to the CryoTanks switcher but curious how much of a difference your AZ50 patch makes vs LFO

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

Would you mind sharing your config? I've always been interested in fuel differentiation but didnt want to go the real fuels route, I currently have Methalox added to the CryoTanks switcher but curious how much of a difference your AZ50 patch makes vs LFO

As you saw already Jso shared his work.   While I started the process, he is the one who perfected it (I was using a different fuel ratio, and had some "issues" with how B9PS was converting some of the fuel tanks.)  

I like to dabble and between that and my Knowledge I have acquired over the years about all of this I want it to have an illusion of being realistic.  The main reason for AZ50/NTO is the cost  vs Efficiency difference.  At an ~83% fuel load (which is the ideal mostly correct fuel load for AZ50) I have slightly higher Delta V than a fully loaded LF/O titan II.  But my fuel cost is much higher.    I don't know that I would go as far as some other mods have (Hypergolic RCS) but...

@Pappystein I play science mode so the cost doesn't really factor into it for me. Was literally just about to boot up my test install to see how it is. If I like it I might add it to the CryoTanks fuel switcher too for more tank options.

By the way what do you mean by 83% being the correct fuel load for AZ50? In terms of matching the performance of the real rocket?

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

By the way what do you mean by 83% being the correct fuel load for AZ50? In terms of matching the performance of the real rocket?

It's the mass equivalent to a full tank of LFO. Only really important on Titan.

A little something for the RealPlume fans. With @CobaltWolf's blessing, I have begun to undertake a little project to convert the standard BDB plumes into RealPlume. Most of BDB's stock plumes now use beautiful particle effects created by @JadeOfMaar and what I've tried to do is to try and preserve the original artistic vision of the BDB plumes as configured by @Jso (Who gave a lot of useful guidance for this too) while providing the plume expansion functionality of RealPlume/Smokescreen. I've tried to be faithful where possible though some creative license has been taken. Jade's particles have very effective animations that means its possible to create epic real plumes with far less particles. For instance all 5 F1s on the Saturn V generate only around 950 particles max and that only decreases throughout the flight profile even as the plume gets bigger.

The first run configures

Saturn F1, J2, H1D, H1C (not the sea level or aerospike J2 variants),

Atlas LR105, LR89, RD180, 

Titan II LR87-5, LR 91-5 (revamped ones only for now)

RL10, RL10A4, RL10B2

These compatibility files are now available in the current BDB Dev branch. More to come over time of course!

Saturn V at launch

8D2Lienh.png

Saturn V towards the end of S1C burn

qOXtVexh.png

Spoiler

Closest I could get to this!

Image result for saturn V in flight

Saturn 1

JjsJPzGh.png

X9Qrl67h.png

Atlas V

aNYYLbqh.png?1

335IGDch.png

Classic atlas

rVeyVheh.png

g0cMrABh.png

Skirt drop

HzodZ6Bh.png

Revamped Titan

BuP7emuh.png

eZnN23Gh.png

Shocks and flame effects will fade to give a a translucent hypergolic plume

LbCgCnjh.png

More images here including the vac engines:

https://imgur.com/a/fT4eJOK

Edited by Zorg

5 hours ago, Zorg said:

eZnN23Gh.png

Shocks and flame effects will fade to give a a translucent hypergolic plume

LbCgCnjh.png

um.  WoW!   NICE WORK Zorg!   I am really impressed!  These two pictures say it all for me.   Titan has a notoriously clear burn pattern due to it's fuel and type of combustion.  all I can say is WOW!

Another gratuitous shot of me using the ion RCS as main engines...

UljaxdJ.png

The tiny amount of xenon is still enough to give that comsat over 500 m/s dV. I love those things. :wub:

Also, there's this abomination of an LV...

GSiKpTU.png

Delta 79xx-H. Can carry that little spaceplane to orbit with just enough dV to deorbit the booster. And before you ask... over a third of the part count is sunk into fins to keep that thing flying straight. It's ugly as sin, but it works like a charm. I love that little shuttle to bits.

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

It's ugly as sin, but it works like a charm. I love that little shuttle to bits.

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. 

(Neat build!)

23 minutes ago, komodo said:

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. 

(Neat build!)

Thanks! Here's the craft file, if anyone wants to check it out. Fair warning: There's a number of mods in it...

https://kerbalx.com/MaverickSawyer/Mini-Shuttle

Also, if you're looking for a Delta 7920-Heavy, that's the basic core of the launcher for this. Just strip off the forest of fins (they account for over a third of the part count!) and replace them with 9 of the Fenris triangular fins tucked in between the boosters, yank everything below that 1.25-1.5 meter tank, and it's ready to be slotted under a Delta-K stack. Might have to load that up tomorrow, tbh. 

Edited by MaverickSawyer

@MaverickSawyer I love it! Since we're talking Delta abominations I did a McDonell Douglas Barbarian build a few weeks ago. Proposed by MDD as a one off vehicle for lifting the Zenith Star space based laser for Reagan's Strategic Defense Intitiative (Star Wars)

Stage 1 - 3x Shuttle SRBS

Stage 2 - 6x Delta II cores

Stage 3 - 1x Delta II core

http://www.astronautix.com/b/barbarianmdd.html

pIi6p3wh.pngImage result for barbarian MDD

JcgJCWeh.png

kJ0jHWrh.jpg

tnJTUmZh.jpg

xTyHuSuh.jpg

New GE X-405 model to go with the redone early AJ-10s

The height of the engine hardware led me to include sort of a shroud to go with it. As before that's 0.9375m diameter for the Vanguard first stage.

cRKjxYS.png

Seen here with the early AJ-10s, the 'compact' variant has a 0.625m mounting ring. As with all these new engines I feel the jump in quality is massive. :)

hRFpUra.png

How interested are people in a "clusterable" version that lacks the verniers? I know the last time I played with BDB (y'know, like 2 years ago :P ) I liked clustering like 4 of these under a Redstone tank.

NHZZlda.png

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

New GE X-405 model to go with the redone early AJ-10s

The height of the engine hardware led me to include sort of a shroud to go with it. As before that's 0.9375m diameter for the Vanguard first stage.

cRKjxYS.png

As with all these new engines I feel the jump in quality is massive.

Yes the quality of the model jump has been a huge improvement.  But the texture quality so far seem to be several orders of a magnitude better! 

1 hour ago, hieywiey said:

Some parts in the latest dev release (Apollo Lunar Module Adapter panels, and the Spacelab fairing adapter) are too small.

It sounds like you have the Saturn Rescale installed in the BD Extras folder.

It's meant to scale the Saturn parts by a factor of ~0.625:1 relative to their real-life counterparts, compared to their 'normal' scale witch is quite a bit smaller. It doesn't scale every part though, so unfortunately it can cause some issues. Just delete the Saturn Rescale folder and everything will fit again. Just note that the Saturn vehicles will not be scaled the same as most other parts ( I don't find the default scales to be much of a problem, personally ).

18 hours ago, Friznit said:

I don't appear to be able to transmit science from the MOS lab - there's no button in the PAW.  Is that a known thing or just me?

What do you mean PAW?   Are you right clicking on an antenna to force the transmit or right clicking on the lab itself?