[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm planning on trying to make something like the Falcon Heavy decoupler for Tundra, except it would have a switcher for the different booster lengths.

You do realize that this means I have to download another Part mod.   One I have not played with in at least 2 years....    IDK/IDR how the Heavy was handled in that mod.    In fact I don't think the Heavy was an option when I quit playing with it.

18 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

did this calculation factor in a direct flight to Eve and back or does it have quite a bit of wiggle room Given KSP's poor ability to plan complicated launches?

Depending on your USI-LS settings, it might... Per default USI has a VERY high mass flow rate per kerbal 0.0005 Supplies/Kerbal*sec, which results in 43 kg of supplies per kerbal, per day (24h)!!! You can easily change this rate in the settings (SupplyAmount and WasteAmount) as well as the habitation multiplier. So this makes very difficult to dimension the Supplies amount and the habitation requirements for each mission. Heck, calculating the required habitation is pretty much impossible because it depends on which parts your craft has and in some cases (parts with multiple USILS_HabitationSwapOption) on how those parts are configured . Not to mention the effect of ColonySupplies that increase the habitation time but I have no idea how.
USI has a UI in the editor that calculates/shows how long the supplies and habitation will last and that helps A LOT! You can plan your mission using Transfer Window PlannerKSP Trajectory Optimization Tool, doing the orbital mechanics calculations or by divine illumination. Take the resulting mission time and fiddle around with parts and resources, always checking in the USI UI how long the Supplies and Habitation will last in your vessel as you build it

TL;DR: it does have a bit of wiggle room but it depends mostly on your USI settings

Also... 503rd page :D  

Edited by Marcelo Silveira

24 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

You do realize that this means I have to download another Part mod.   One I have not played with in at least 2 years....    IDK/IDR how the Heavy was handled in that mod.    In fact I don't think the Heavy was an option when I quit playing with it.

I mean you don't have to download it. Basically just, the decoupler is the struts, maybe something else to go with it for visual continuity / give the players something better to grab on to. It needs to have decouplers and stuff still... it might be worth trying to just get them in game untextured but with colliders to see what feels best. Like obviously I'll need to have colliders going the length of the part so you have something to attach to... idk.

18 minutes ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

Also... 503rd page :D  

Thanks for that Explanation.  I have not used USI Life support in... well a couple years at-least.  I have more recently used TAC life support and killed something like 12 Kerbals....  Including Jeb....  When Jeb is dead the game is over! :) 

It is a good thing I have A a Multi monitor setup and B they are both 21:9 monitors.   That Trajectory tool is outside of KSP....   Going to have to experiment with it (after I buy a new HDMI cord for my second older monitor.)    Thanks for pointing me to that tool!

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I mean you don't have to download it. Basically just, the decoupler is the struts, maybe something else to go with it for visual continuity / give the players something better to grab on to. It needs to have decouplers and stuff still... it might be worth trying to just get them in game untextured but with colliders to see what feels best. Like obviously I'll need to have colliders going the length of the part so you have something to attach to... idk.

Naw it is fine, don't rush it...   I was just trying to figure out what kind of handwavium you were doing there.   Besides, as I indicated it has been a long time (and a complete overhaul ago) since I have played With Tundra.   It might be a good alternative for the space station I am building anyway... Esp if I engage life support.  

It will be nice to have some adjustable Decouplers that only change in length not over all size :) 

Edited by Pappystein

Looks like I'll have plenty of time to stream this weekend, maybe if we're lucky we'll be able to get these UA1205s and the associate parts (separator motors, decoupler) in game. :) In the meantime, here's something to watch...

4 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

@CobaltWolf what do you think of the .pdf I posted about a reusable agena? @Pappystein had a better look at it, and thinks that it wouldn't need that many parts?

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19740024172.pdf 

It's cool but not on my mind right now. :)

26 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

@CobaltWolf what do you think of the .pdf I posted about a reusable agena? @Pappystein had a better look at it, and thinks that it wouldn't need that many parts?

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19740024172.pdf 

Err.  Sorry, what are you saying I thought wouldn't need more parts?  

As far as I can see ZERO parts are needed.     I flew the proposed shuttle multi tank setup last-night.   I tested with tank separation and keeping them all together.   I haven't gotten far enough in my tests to publish what my results are but I needed 0 additional parts.   I did not even modify any parts for this test *Except tweakscaled stock battery*.

Parts used:  Agena GCU,  Agena collapsible Rod antenna,  Agena D Tank x7, Stock Fuel transfer pipe x 6, Agena D Engine, 2x RLA RTGs (for EC generation... solar panels are problematic with this build) and an inline tweakscaled wafer battery behind the GCU.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Looks like I'll have plenty of time to stream this weekend, maybe if we're lucky we'll be able to get these UA1205s and the associate parts (separator motors, decoupler) in game. :) In the meantime, here's something to watch...

Nice video.   That is the first reference to the fuel mass per segment I have ever found!  Err YOU found it for me!   THANKS!  

Edited by Pappystein

AW MAN!!! why did you guys remove the other aerospike? those were GREAT engines! I hade a couple really good planes that used those! now I cant fly them anymore because you guys pulled a stupid and removed them, one of the ships that used that engine that got removed was a spaceplane that was designed after toothless from how to train your dragon... that thing flew like a dream and now I cant fly it anymore because SOMEONE removed the engine it used

Edited by mindseyemodels

26 minutes ago, mindseyemodels said:

AW MAN!!! why did you guys remove the other aerospike? those were GREAT engines! I hade a couple really good planes that used those! now I cant fly them anymore because you guys pulled a stupid and removed them, one of the ships that used that engine that got removed was a spaceplane that was designed after toothless from how to train your dragon... that thing flew like a dream and now I cant fly it anymore because SOMEONE removed the engine it used

I'm sorry

EDIT: I just realized that might actually be referring to this mod... at first I was like "huh, wrong thread"

Edited by CobaltWolf

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm sorry

EDIT: I just realized that might actually be referring to this mod... at first I was like "huh, wrong thread"

yeah this mod had an especially good aerospike engine that was key to getting some of my smaller designs off the ground… another design that used that engine was eagle 5 from spaceballs

1 hour ago, Barzon Kerman said:

I thought you said it would need a longer AGU, and proper radial tanks?

No, sorry, I can now understand the confusion.  When I was talking about the Agena parts I was mentioning that the Agena GCU was a little short to match for perfect scale.   And while they could use some matching shallow endcaps/nosecones I would never ask for such a parts ans propritary use external tanks as these are in space not flying exposed to the air.  I will have a few pictures of my final config I am using later tonight.

It flys pretty great BTW...   But it could use some more RCS .  I am looking at third party parts to solve that and think I will stick with the RLA micro RCS ports (disabling the Agena ones) 

3 minutes ago, mindseyemodels said:

yeah this mod had an especially good aerospike engine that was key to getting some of my smaller designs off the ground… another design that used that engine was eagle 5 from spaceballs

Judging from the Github logs, the files here should put it back in.

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/tree/master/BD_Extras (No Warranty)/GameData/Bluedog_DB_Extras/Sandbox

I was able to get back to my main computer faster than I thought:   Love when contractors call to change their scheduled arrival time by over an hour and a half... 10 minutes before they were expected to arrive :)

d52FShP.jpg

As I said previously the only problem with doing this to Agena is those extra tanks preclude Solar panels and since they are SUPPSED to be drop-able... putting a solar panel on them is wasteful.

s9qltL6.jpg

Edited by Pappystein

I had this problem for a while - turned out to be I had the wrong (and, in fact multiple) Model Managers loaded. Make sure you have the up-to-date Model Manager - and only one. 

1 hour ago, SeucheAnemone56 said:

Sarnus-SIVB-LAM and Sarnus-SIVB-LAM(F) Fairings are open in the editor & Launchpad! How to close them?

3 hours ago, CT96B said:

I had this problem for a while - turned out to be I had the wrong (and, in fact multiple) Model Managers loaded. Make sure you have the up-to-date Model Manager - and only one. 

Modulemanager generally deactivates an old version but for some reason I still see problems like this.   It is always good to verify Modulemanger is the most recant version before installing .... And that you only have ONE modulemanager.  

Big note here...  Just because a mod that has a new release has modulemanager installed... Does not mean it is the most up to date.   Verify what version of Modulemanager you have before installing a new one...

6 hours ago, CT96B said:

In [my_KSP_root]/Gamedata/ I can only see one MM file which I manuelly installed not a long time ago.

I think a mod with included MM overwrote the new one OR inside any subfolder there is another Module Manager (I'm not sure if it gets executed in subdirectories)

I haven't faced any problem with Module Manager so far - until now

But thanks for your help @CT96B and @Pappystein