[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

@CobaltWolf

Just wanted to drop a note here.  

I used this mod for the first time last night on my stream.  While a little puzzling at first, I was able to put together a complete Saturn V, launch the mission to the Muun, land and return.

Very nice parts as I expected.  What I wouldn't like in a regular game is that the parts are very specific, for example, to make the LM was a total of 4 parts.  But I can definitely see other people enjoying it 

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@CobaltWolf

Just wanted to drop a note here.  

I used this mod for the first time last night on my stream.  While a little puzzling at first, I was able to put together a complete Saturn V, launch the mission to the Muun, land and return.

Very nice parts as I expected.  What I wouldn't like in a regular game is that the parts are very specific, for example, to make the LM was a total of 4 parts.  But I can definitely see other people enjoying it 

Yeah, at the time we figured the LM parts aren't legoable enough, so we might as well make the LM as simple as possible to put together. I don't know how I'd do it differently in the future but I definitely would.

Very well done, and flew great.  Only oddity was that I misjudged the descent, thought there was going to be an explosion, hit the surface doing somewhere around 15-20 m/sec, and it bounced.  Very kerbal and my audience loved it

Edited by linuxgurugamer

28 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Very well done, and flew great.  Only oddity was that I misjudged the descent, thought there was going to be an explosion, hit the surface doing somewhere around 15-20 m/sec, and it bounced.  Very kerbal and my audience loved it

That's... interesting. I vaguely remember there being a reason for that happening way back in the day and not being able to fix it.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Only oddity was that I misjudged the descent, thought there was going to be an explosion, hit the surface doing somewhere around 15-20 m/sec, and it bounced

It's because the landing gear is not "landing gear", it's a simple animated part. If I recall correctly there's a bug with animated parts where the moving portion is indestructible. You should be able get the same effect using the open doors of a service bay as landing gear.

SLV-3X Fatlas is back! This time with the bigger all new H1D model

IIYJxADh.png

I don't think I posted it earlier but there is also an all new Kerolox vernier realplume with a much smoother look.

SfQEddNh.png

New H1 still fits nicely in the Atlas booster skirt.

kTMlznJh.png

fRvCpe5h.png

Just make sure to rotate it 45 degrees though!

C3s8Pn2h.png

On 7/19/2019 at 10:05 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Uh, Agena and the KH-9/KH-11 propulsion systems are nothing alike. :huh: These are some pictures from @TimothyC at the NMUSAF.

Sorry for the Necro post,  I think I have finally recovered from my power outage.  Just a few loose ends to clean up

1) So I agree that that is not a Bell LR81 engine.   However the fact that it was made by Lockheed Space Systems (the builder of Agena) and Agena-C was "Canceled" and lastly that the internal tankage is approximately the same diameter of some of the proposals descriptions of Agena C I have seen...  Do NOT make it Agena C.   I agree.   I was drawing the conclusion that it COULD BE what Agena C was supposed to be / a logical evolution to Agena 2000, and in part WHY Agena 2000 was proposed for Atlas V Light.   Nothing else.   I am sorry if my verb-age led anyone down a different route....       

FWIW what little I have on Agena C comes from a document on why Vega was canceled (not by NASA or GE so... less than an ideal document to quote I know.)  

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

OnZAcIO.png

2) Nope, Don't think it is to bad looking at all.   I assume I am either looking at your attempt at a HG-3 or an Insulated F-1?

If HG-3 I think it will give you some unique things to do....  You can always go the route that the grey area around the Combustion chamber IS the combustion chamber...   It covers the two "drawings" we have of the HG-3 well.  Alternatively you could "fill in" the area using greebles and gizmoes off the RS-25 (power head has a similar shape to the profiles in the "Drawings" of HG-3) 

If you make it the combustion chamber make it a dirty stainless (Smooth but not a uniform color) with the Reflection plugin....    The unique asymmetrical shape could give some good results with shine enabled.  I ain't the texturing pro, I will leave that discussion to you!

58 minutes ago, Jso said:

It's because the landing gear is not "landing gear", it's a simple animated part. If I recall correctly there's a bug with animated parts where the moving portion is indestructible. You should be able get the same effect using the open doors of a service bay as landing gear.

3) Confirmed.  I have used the Service Bays to land probes that would otherwise have been destroyed.   you first use the doors as wings and slow your descent, then right before impact you rotate 90 degrees and pull so the corner of the door hits first.   If you manage to get slow enough while generating lift you can land a pretty significant probe this way.   Ultimate in Kerbal Cheatyness but if it can't be fixed who cares?  :)

4 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

Does anyone happen to have an MM patch to add TACLS supplies to the LEM ascent stage?

It should already be in the Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility folder?

1 minute ago, hieywiey said:

Would it use the same reflective shaders as IUS?

I'm not sure it's reflective? It just looks shiny to me.

1 hour ago, Doc Shaftoe said:

Following @Zorg's instructions for the shiny centaur, I made myself a shiny Atlas. I think I'm going to play with the config a bit more, it's a little too reflective. Still, not bad for a starting point.

Cool! :)

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

SLV-3X Fatlas is back! This time with the bigger all new H1D model

I don't think I posted it earlier but there is also an all new Kerolox vernier realplume with a much smoother look.

New H1 still fits nicely in the Atlas booster skirt.

Just make sure to rotate it 45 degrees though!

I'm glad it works, I wasn't sure if it would. :)

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

1) So I agree that that is not a Bell LR81 engine.   However the fact that it was made by Lockheed Space Systems (the builder of Agena) and Agena-C was "Canceled" and lastly that the internal tankage is approximately the same diameter of some of the proposals descriptions of Agena C I have seen...  Do NOT make it Agena C.   I agree.   I was drawing the conclusion that it COULD BE what Agena C was supposed to be / a logical evolution to Agena 2000, and in part WHY Agena 2000 was proposed for Atlas V Light.   Nothing else.   I am sorry if my verb-age led anyone down a different route....       

FWIW what little I have on Agena C comes from a document on why Vega was canceled (not by NASA or GE so... less than an ideal document to quote I know.) 

2) Nope, Don't think it is to bad looking at all.   I assume I am either looking at your attempt at a HG-3 or an Insulated F-1?

If HG-3 I think it will give you some unique things to do....  You can always go the route that the grey area around the Combustion chamber IS the combustion chamber...   It covers the two "drawings" we have of the HG-3 well.  Alternatively you could "fill in" the area using greebles and gizmoes off the RS-25 (power head has a similar shape to the profiles in the "Drawings" of HG-3) 

If you make it the combustion chamber make it a dirty stainless (Smooth but not a uniform color) with the Reflection plugin....    The unique asymmetrical shape could give some good results with shine enabled.  I ain't the texturing pro, I will leave that discussion to you!

Yeah, anything you have on Agena document or link wise would be appreciated.... for, uh, reasons...

It's definitely an F-1 :P

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah, anything you have on Agena document or link wise would be appreciated.... for, uh, reasons...

I need to make a web archive of my hard-drives :P   I have literally tens upon tens of PDFs with no rational name on space program stuff.   I will dig a bit and forward what ever I can find... like I said the Agena C comment was almost an aside on why NASA decided not to look at Vega, and not by any of the people involved (almost like some sort of press release for some supplier to a major company (NASA,GE,Lockheed whomever)    So I take it you want anything I have on agena that does not require a trip through my brain, got it and roger!

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

It's definitely an F-1 :P

I'm not sure it's reflective? It just looks shiny to me.

First... Aw shucks!   You said you wouldn't Do HG-3 most recently so I was hoping :)

There used to be a picture on one of the various incarnations of Astronautics of a RS-56 (I think it was an Atlas at-least) with this type of material on it.   It was shiny in one picture and dull in other.  I don't know if that was caused by the cameras/camera operator (the dull images were less than ideal picture quality almost like someone set the FOV and F-Stop + ISO wrong + the old Crop and then stretch the image to blow up the engine part.   The Shiny images were with out doors with the sun obviously low in the sky (long shadows) but high enough for a bright/clear image (not dawn/dusk say 10AM or 4-6PM)   Both images were on the same page and I have not been able to find it for at-least 2 years now...

Edited by Pappystein

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Gemini lander parts all survived the transfer to Unity intact... hopefully sometime later this week I have time to get cfgs made and get this up on Github :)

K8OAKK0.png

DmAJg7Y.png

Purdy Purdy,

Question for everyone of my fellow Kerbalnauts...     What do  you suggest, a 2 Rocket Lunar Orbital rendezvous launch or do you think a Shenanigan Rocket is the way to go (use a PLF with the nodes on to stack Gemini + A Transtage or 2 ABOVE the lander)   I am just curious how others are going to try to launch this beau of a little lander.

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

Purdy Purdy,

Question for everyone of my fellow Kerbalnauts...     What do  you suggest, a 2 Rocket Lunar Orbital rendezvous launch or do you think a Shenanigan Rocket is the way to go (use a PLF with the nodes on to stack Gemini + A Transtage or 2 ABOVE the lander)   I am just curious how others are going to try to launch this beau of a little lander.

I like gemini-style landings. For my most recent campaign using that lander module, I used a Gemini <> Lander in Fairing <> Transtage stage with an Earth Orbit Rendezvous with a Centaur Transfer stage. I then orbited the spacecraft with the transtage, and then used the transtage to perform the initial deorbit burn from the lander after decoupling from the Gemini.

6 hours ago, Doc Shaftoe said:

Following @Zorg's instructions for the shiny centaur, I made myself a shiny Atlas. I think I'm going to play with the config a bit more, it's a little too reflective. Still, not bad for a starting point.

I actually did that myself for a while but the problem here is that a shiny Atlas compelled me to also have matching Agena D and Vega. Things broke down at that point as the reflection config looks awful on the vega engine mount (due to the integrated RCS tanks) and even worse the Agena D has the engine mount and engine combined. 

14 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I actually did that myself for a while but the problem here is that a shiny Atlas compelled me to also have matching Agena D and Vega. Things broke down at that point as the reflection config looks awful on the vega engine mount (due to the integrated RCS tanks) and even worse the Agena D has the engine mount and engine combined. 

Did you try excluding the meshes you didn't want reflected or were they part of the mount mesh? Not sure what do about the Agena D.

5 hours ago, birdog357 said:

I don't have a TACLS cfg in the extras folder in the zip. I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

This problem here is not technically with BDB compatibility configs but specifically lies with the fact that the Ascent Stage Cockpit has a minimum crew of 0 in ModuleCommand.  TAC LS adds life support resources to any part that has CrewCapacity>0 and ModuleCommand>0, so the Ascent Module lucks out because it has minimumCrew = 0.

MODULE

{

name = ModuleCommand

minimumCrew = 0

}

If I recall correctly this is because there was a request for the Ascent Module to be able to operate autonomously (as a probe core) for reasons.  So options to fix are either:

A.  Change minimumCrew in ModuleCommand to 1 (and lose the probe core functionality)

B. Add a specific TAC LS patch for the Ascent Module (straight forward to do - if I remember I'll stick it in a PR)

Edited by Friznit

6 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Purdy Purdy,

For stock scale I've done pretty much what you suggest with an Apollo style LOR and used a fuselage fairing to substitute for the Lander Adapter Module. The Gemini service module has sufficient dV with its monoprop engines to return to Kerbin without needing an additional transtage above the lander.  Things get a bit trickier in 2.6x scale without simply uprating the launch vehicle (which may not be possible in early career).  I've done the two rocket approach with Earth Orbit RV - it's marginally cheaper than a LOR because you can punt the lander into orbit using a couple of cheapo solid boosters.  I've even done a horribly dirty thing and launched a lander already attached to the nose of the Gemini capsule and the whole lot under a fairing, but we don't talk about that.

11 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Purdy Purdy,

Well, I'm not sure about the lander itself (would people want me to figure out a structural truss solution to make it easier to store? Might make it harder to get it separated) but here's something for Lunar Gemini. The one on the right burns the Transtages in serial.

1965_concepts.png?w=616