[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

@CobaltWolf I just wanted to mention that the Gemini lander truss is a really cool idea. Ideally, it'd fit nicely onto an Agena.

Nice work on the F-1 blankets, BTW. :) 

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well, I'm not sure about the lander itself (would people want me to figure out a structural truss solution

1965_concepts.png?w=616

I haven't used the IIIE fairing yet (have not unlocked it and I don't want to be spoiled by doing this in sandbox (although I might for a proof of concept.)   So unless there are no extra nodes on the IIIE/IV PLFs...no need for you to make extra parts in my opinion.   I am thinking about taking the Titan IIIC on the right, and between Stage 2 and the Transtages, place the Titan IIIE fairing....   then a double decoupler (or a separator....) and Viola... you burn to Apogee, and while you are coasting there (since Stage 2 will be mostly depleated in a 2.5x scale system at that point,) you jettison the twin Transtage + Gemini and then spin around and dock with the Lander in the IIIE fairing that was mounted below the Transtages....   Spin back around and continue your flight.

15 hours ago, Friznit said:

I've even done a horribly dirty thing and launched a lander already attached to the nose of the Gemini capsule and the whole lot under a fairing, but we don't talk about that.

You realize, now that you mentioned it, we HAVE to talk about it!   :P

20 hours ago, Machinique said:

I like gemini-style landings. For my most recent campaign using that lander module, I used a Gemini <> Lander in Fairing <> Transtage stage with an Earth Orbit Rendezvous with a Centaur Transfer stage. I then orbited the spacecraft with the transtage, and then used the transtage to perform the initial deorbit burn from the lander after decoupling from the Gemini.

Hmm, I like the idea of a Centaur Transfer vehicle.   That got me thinking about an.... un-realistic launcher (4x UA-1207s, to start because it is too heavy otherwise.....)    However I think I am going to modify it into a Double Centaur launch. 

Launch 1.   Atlas-Centaur Agena-GTV + Solar and big antenna.   Leaves a lunar orbit RETURN vehicle for the Gemini Capsule.   Storable Agena Stage so no issues with boiloff.  Parking orbit is at 50 or 55km above Munar Surface  The Lander COULD be placed above the Agena with a Seperator

Launch 2 (only after Launch 1 is safely in Lunar Orbit.)   Gemini Titan-IIIE-6    Gemini Centuar has a PLF between the upper stage and the SM with the Lander...   Attempt to set Periapsis to ~40km above Munnar surface.   Have a small Solid made to calculate correct D/V to circularize at 40km above Mun mounted in the SM section above the Lander.   This way if Centaur boils off too much Hydrogen you are not using up RCS to circularize.   If lander is on The Atlas Centaur Agena launch then delete the PLF...   Centaur needs Avionics module (use the 1.875m MOL one to "Simplify" part count.)

I think the Lander on the Atlas Centaur Agena GTV makes more sense "safety-wise"  

SoonTM

Don't take my word for it, but I think we might actually be getting kinda close to an update. @CobaltWolf has made the main focus of this update surround Gemini, and I think he’s nearing completion on it for now (feel free to yell at me if I’m totally wrong here).

Other than that, we have the usual odds and ends that get thrown in, but we might be close to an update. Also, with no guarantees on stability, the development branch on github has a BDB build that you can use in 1.7, plenty of us on here do that.

5 hours ago, JediRangerkendor said:

i would love to start using my 1.7.3 (with both DLC!) of KSP, but I have been so in love with BDB that i refuse to play the game without it. When is the next update due out? 

In my experience, BDB works fine in 1.7.3. Haven't had any issues yet

5 hours ago, Jall said:

@CobaltWolf has made the main focus of this update surround Gemini, and I think he’s nearing completion on it for now (feel free to yell at me if I’m totally wrong here).

Moreso titan than anything else

Screenie tiem from my recent Mun mission.

screenshot80.png?width=1123&height=702

screenshot109.png?width=1123&height=702

screenshot122.png?width=1123&height=702

5 hours ago, Jall said:

SoonTM

Don't take my word for it, but I think we might actually be getting kinda close to an update. @CobaltWolf has made the main focus of this update surround Gemini, and I think he’s nearing completion on it for now (feel free to yell at me if I’m totally wrong here).

Other than that, we have the usual odds and ends that get thrown in, but we might be close to an update. Also, with no guarantees on stability, the development branch on github has a BDB build that you can use in 1.7, plenty of us on here do that.

Do you have a link? The latest github release was made well before 1.7 was released.

Edited by Terra1

58 minutes ago, Terra1 said:

Do you have a link? The latest github release was made well before 1.7 was released.

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/tree/Development?files=1

Usually, with some exceptions, even if a mod says it’s for an earlier version it’ll still work fine. But here’s the dev branch for BDB.

1 hour ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

Moreso titan than anything else.

Hey, it was two in the morning when I typed that. Cut me some slack! :P Thanks for the correction though.

15 minutes ago, Machinique said:

Are the new Gemini lander parts now in the dev branch?

Yes but they're super buggy. Found a lot of issues during the test run last night.

6 minutes ago, Jall said:

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/tree/Development?files=1

Usually, with some exceptions, even if a mod says it’s for an earlier version it’ll still work fine. But here’s the dev branch for BDB.

Hey, it was two in the morning when I typed that. Cut me some slack! :P Thanks for the correction though.

The proper link would be... https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/tree/Development

The dev branch should only be used in sandbox saves on a separate install of the game. No warranty for it breaking anything whatsoever :P

The existing release should still work fine in 1.7.3 as long as the dependencies are updated.

7 hours ago, Jall said:

SoonTM

I'd say we're still a couple months from release but progress has been good lately.

Edited by CobaltWolf

13 hours ago, Jall said:

SoonTM

No reason to yell... I will just whisper :)   Cobaltwolf is focused on Titan with this update, Gemini has gotten zero love on it's own (just the 1 man lander)

Now returning you to your regular program.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yes but they're super buggy. Found a lot of issues during the test run last night.

Didn't you mean that they're super buggy FUN right now?

RE: The stream last night that I missed, were you using your 2.5x RSS test build you used to play on?   I see a Centaur/Transtage for both launches, did that result in over-performance or "just right"   and lastly How bad, if at all, did Boil off affect your launch plans?

4 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

No reason to yell... I will just whisper :)   Cobaltwolf is focused on Titan with this update, Gemini has gotten zero love on it's own (just the 1 man lander)

Now returning you to your regular program.

Didn't you mean that they're super buggy FUN right now?

RE: The stream last night that I missed, were you using your 2.5x RSS test build you used to play on?   I see a Centaur/Transtage for both launches, did that result in over-performance or "just right"   and lastly How bad, if at all, did Boil off affect your launch plans?

Yeah, it was all in the 2.7x stock system I have right now. The Centaur was the TMI stage and the Transtage performed MOI and TKI burn. The two launches were completely separate and rendezvoused in lunar orbit. Shoutouts to @Lupi and @taniwha for showing me how to rendezvous and dock, by the way! :)

The Gemini lander might be awaiting some fixes but in the meantime its gotten itself a new plume :) . In fact all the lander engines, ie the Apollo Ascent, Descent as well as Block III and Block V service engines based on those now have this new plume. Its very thin and transparent, barely visible against a bright background. Requires the latest Smokescreen 2.8.5 to look right.

ZNwPZgbh.png

bWhR9zAh.png

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I haven't gotten a chance to fix the Gemini Lander bits and it looks like I'll be busy for a couple days... anyone building anything cool in the mean time? :)

Well I did get around to doing something for the Apollo 50th anniversary today, though it's nothing like most people would think. I'll hold off on posting all of the pics until I finish everything up, but for now i'm content to leave you all with this.

screenshot1273.png

16 minutes ago, wallum61 said:

...I'll take a guess at the Ares Program from Stephen Baxter's Voyage?

Voyage, along with Titan (also by Stephen Baxter) are such amazing books, they’re also criminally under-appreciated. Titan singlehandedly made me fall in love with the eponymous moon, and Voyage is a great alt-history look at an alternate post-Apollo NASA that focuses all of its energy on sending humans to Mars, cancelling most unmanned probes, i.e. Voyager, and possibly Viking. If any of you have the time, I highly recommend these, along with two other of Baxter’s books, Flood and Ark.