[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

@CobaltWolf I don't know if it is already avialble, but it would be cool if you implement Werners from Brown idea of converting an upper stage hydrogen Tank into a Crew Cabin

see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_workshop

This concept would be realy usefull in combination with Kerbalsim, which favors large habitat. All that is needed is a partmodule which creates Crew Habitat space after the tank go empty.

Edited by FreeThinker

4 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

@CobaltWolf I don't know if it is already avialble, but it would be cool if you implement Werners from Brown idea of converting an upper stage hydrogen Tank into a Crew Cabin

This concept would be realy usefull in combination with Kerbalsim, which favors space. All that is needed is a partmodule which create Habitat space after the tank go empty.

I believe there is some sort of wet workshop available in the mod, but I don't know how well it works with Kerbalism. We aim for a "high compatibility, few dependencies" approach so I think they're kind of kitbashed in. I'm not sure how well they play with other mods that affect crewed parts.

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

This concept would be realy usefull in combination with Kerbalsim, which favors large habitat. All that is needed is a partmodule which creates Crew Habitat space after the tank go empty.

There is a wet workshop skylab part in game already! You should find two skylab workshops, the regular one, and the wet workshop. The wet workshop functionality is provided by the BDB plugin I believe.

WHYpqEK.jpg

If you look closely you can see the bell of a J2 engine at the back of this lunar skylab.

@CobaltWolf think you could move the Saturn V bottom node, or add a new one, so that offsetting the launch base is not necessary? I've had some problems with it on the dev version (using new engines). Plus, it's neater that way, you shouldn't really need the gizmo when attaching things by node.

9 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

@CobaltWolf think you could move the Saturn V bottom node, or add a new one, so that offsetting the launch base is not necessary? I've had some problems with it on the dev version (using new engines). Plus, it's neater that way, you shouldn't really need the gizmo when attaching things by node.

I'm not sure what you're talking about?

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about?

MLP. The video uses the old engines, I tried doing just that with new ones, and couldn't offset the base to that level without misalignment. I don't know why that node is placed so low, anyway.

EDIT: OK, it seems that it's the MLP that's adding that node. Odd, I seem to recall it being there before.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I believe there is some sort of wet workshop available in the mod, but I don't know how well it works with Kerbalism. We aim for a "high compatibility, few dependencies" approach so I think they're kind of kitbashed in. I'm not sure how well they play with other mods that affect crewed parts.

8 hours ago, Zorg said:

There is a wet workshop skylab part in game already! You should find two skylab workshops, the regular one, and the wet workshop. The wet workshop functionality is provided by the BDB plugin I believe.

If you look closely you can see the bell of a J2 engine at the back of this lunar skylab.

I don't use Kerbalism so IDK about that, but I too use the Wet Workshop.   Personally I use it as part of my Venus Flyby Mission as well as a few other unique Stations that require more than a Saturn INT-21 to launch.  For the Venus Eve fly-by run with the Mk-III CM so I can get 2 Scientist + Command Pilot + 1x Engineer (to fix those broken solar Panels.)  I did a short term experiment as a kid on living space (AKA I was grounded :). )   In my barely scientific experiment I played with living space constraints for about a week... AKA I was basically locked in my room with nothing to do but think.      Wet Workshop + CM + VFB Module = about enough space for 4 crew on a long mission... with a Bonus of SCIENCE!

Ok kidding aside (groan! didn't mean that as a pun... I SWEAR!)  I have read a few studies that talked about space requirements for comfort and well to put it bluntly sanity...   Even though I am un-aware of any mod that deals with Psychological effects of space in game... I try to follow those guidelines....

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

It occurs to me that the 9x mount might make the LR-87-LH2-SL more useful on this rocket.

Didn't see this before my previous post.    It is too bad you didn't do a twin chamber LH2 version...   But you have already done so much so no biggie!     Maybe you might get into that for an Alternate Saturn Hydrolox engine..  IDK and I am not asking...   Just pointing out it would be convieniant for the purposes of the LDC.

But more importantly:

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm interested in adding an alternate mode to the SRBs that uses that, if there's sufficient interest. Let me know, everyone! Would make using UA120s in hardcore careers safer for manned missions.

IAmU7cl.png

First off, like the new model.   I can't wait to recover SRMs with that new nose cone.    I have said off channel I would love for something like this.  But the key thing I keep thinking is HOW this would happen.   Cause it would have to run for however much fuel remains in the main SRM.    Is there some B9PS trickery that I am missing (hey I am missing a lot already so IDK hence my ask! :)  )

For those Not in the KNOW, all of the first generation UA1205s (on the Titan IIIC but not on the 23C or 23D or later) you know the ones with the HUGE honkin TVC tank, were man rated.  They had those large circular apertures on the Nose cone and a special blow out section in the 5th segment.   @CobaltWolf did a great job modelling them in on his nosecone (you can see it in the picture above as well as on any of the previous dev photos!)   This would reduce the effective thrust of the UA1205 to less than 1/10th it's nominal thrust for it's fuel load (it wouldn't completely cancel it out and since it was only tested on the ground we don't know EXACTLY what the thrust reduction would have been at Altitude.... 

Titan IIIC with the Mockup of the MOL and Blue Gemini with the first generation UA1205 (notice the white circles on the nose of the SRMs and the 3 segment long TVC tanks that are of a large diameter..  And no, the UA-1205s were not modified in any way from a standard Titan IIIC that had flown at this time... This is just one of the better color pictures of a First Generation UA-1205 I could find quickly.

Titan-3C_MOL-Gemini-B-Test_3.jpg

Vs a Titan III(23)C....   The public Designation was still Titan IIIC but the actual designation was Titan 23C.  Main Difference is the newer generation UA1205 SRM (2 segment long TVC tanks of smaller diamater + no more blow holes in the nosecones on the SRMs.

405px-DF-SC-84-05192_cropped.jpeg

Edited by Pappystein
Deleted refrence to Titan IIID since they were all actually Titan 23Ds!

On 7/7/2019 at 11:37 AM, StarStreak2109 said:

No?

Maybe show some screenshots, post your logs, so that we get a better idea on what you're doing? What KSP version and what BDB version are you using? Are all your dependencies up to date? (Asking, because I tripped into that pothole myself a few times...)

Okay okay, it's the 1.4.5, I have these mods:

B9PartSwitch, Bluedog_DB, Bluedog_DB_Extras.... here is the screenshot link: https://ibb.co/6H2Ypxv

But where can I find logs? Could you confirm me that usually, using LO + F tanks with LO + F engines should work as well as LO +  H2 tanks with H2 engines?

Then Bluedog engines works pretty well on other tanks, it's the tank that are like empty?

Edited by Cousnouf

4 hours ago, Cousnouf said:

Okay okay, it's the 1.4.5, I have these mods:

B9PartSwitch, Bluedog_DB, Bluedog_DB_Extras.... here is the screenshot link: https://ibb.co/6H2Ypxv

But where can I find logs? Could you confirm me that usually, using LO + F tanks with LO + F engines should work as well as LO +  H2 tanks with H2 engines?

Then Bluedog engines works pretty well on other tanks, it's the tank that are like empty?

3 hours ago, Cousnouf said:

Yes I guess they are empty regarding the weight, how to fill them? Any idea? or this is a bug?

If you don't know what each of the configs in Bluedog Extras does, remove it. They're not meant to just be installed.

Do you have community resource pack? Do you have the right version of B9 Part Switch?

Your KSP.log lives in your root KSP folder, right next to the game exe. Upload it to Pastebin or something like that.

10 hours ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

Testing other uses for the Gemini lander parts (and the helios probe core), came up with this cutie
Fits perfectly with a 2.5m heatshield
One test got me next to this rocky boi.
Another broke an antennae...

That's incredible! I was wondering if people would find reason to build automated landers with that stuff, but I wasn't expecting to see it on Duna! :)

Yeah. There's official Multibody parts now but I think someone wanted to have properly scaled UA120s.

Speaking of UA120s, the UA1205s have a test abort mode up on Github. Add the mode toggle to the abort group and fly away. :) I'm excited to make manned Titan 3 missions be safer for hardcore careers, and to represent the actual work they put into man rating these classic SRBs. @Pappystein

Unmanned test of a crewed Titan IIIE to trial out the new UA1205 abort mode with the objective of man rating the launcher.

9itK4gBh.png

JRrSY6Wh.png

Pc25M8zh.png

Afij6Q5h.png

kKcOVWmh.png

Alternate method where capsule is jettisoned with the terminated SRBs still attached to the stack

Dgx3WDBh.png

fYvAKTwh.png

Edited by Zorg

17 hours ago, Zorg said:

Alternate method where capsule is jettisoned with the terminated SRBs still attached to the stack

Dgx3WDBh.png

fYvAKTwh.png

As I understood it... THIS is how the Abort was supposed to work

Alternatively this is also how you would abort in the case of a Single Engine SRM failure or Single SRM separation failure (obviously without all the extra thrust on the remaining SRM...  The Abort would still fire due to the chance of ANY remaining positive thrust however.

Thanks @CobaltWolf   Won't get to it until likely Tuseday Night at the earliest (stupid chores) but I appreciate the effort.

Since I won't be able to test fly it until then, @Zorg  Did Titan Become Ballistic... or NEARLY Ballistic when you Aborted the full stack with no separation?   IE did the G Meter read around 1-1.25G?

I just discovered an oddity. I want to make a nuclear S-IVB with an LH2 burning NERV. I realize that just removing the oxidizer ain't gonna cut it. I intend to make a patch to give me an LH2 only tank so I wanted to figure out how much additional volume to have and I started comparing the real stage to the BDB one. Most numbers come out to be about 25% of IRL except for the mass fraction which is the kerbalized number. OK so far, not a problem.

The oddity is that the Oxidizer tank IRL is about 19.4 times larger by volume than the BDB one while the mass is only 4.6 times higher leading to a density in game of 4.2 times denser than LOX. So if I added the BDB Ox volume to the LH2 volume I would still be way short of having enough propellant to match, let alone exceed the J-2 performance.

It looks like I need to derive the proper scaled volume for an LH2 only stage and then patch that in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18TJzw3HrOoI-t0PTCtUFEH3E6NvwNOCXvAIOMeagNFg/edit?usp=sharing