[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

11 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I just wish I could find a damn picture, preferably in color, of the AJ10-118F... if it's really just a different extension... well that makes things easier. I can't just "reuse" the Transtage engines (and I'd want to make it higher detailed than the Transtage ones) but at this rate it looks like I'm redoing the rest Delta II upper stage with 1.25m tankage anyways.

There's none. I've looked back then, and a few times later on, but the only clue I had was that it was, somehow, derived from Transtage. An AJ-10-118K with a nozzle extension the size of that on a Transtage engine (expansion ratio of 40) would represent the best guess we have on that engine. The Japanese stages definitely show a similar combustor, so this we know not to be different.

I don't have L2 access to NSF, which kind of locks me out of some resources. I checked, way back then, all that was available in the open. There might be some old books on the subject, but I don't have any of them. Short of checking L2 or talking to Smithsonian, I don't know where else one could look.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

There's none. I've looked back then, and a few times later on, but the only clue I had was that it was, somehow, derived from Transtage. An AJ-10-188K with a nozzle extension the size of that on a Transtage engine would represent the best guess we have on that engine. The Japanese stages definitely show a similar combustor, so this we know not to be different.

I don't have L2 access to NSF, which kind of locks me out of some resources. I checked, way back then, all that was available in the open. There might be some old books on the subject, but I don't have any of them. Short of checking L2 or talking to Smithsonian, I don't know where else one could look.

Well, I did trawl through the entirety of the L2 historical section earlier today and yeah, there is a single line drawing that definitely seems to show that the AJ10-118F has more or less the same combustion chamber and nozzle extension as a Transtage engine. Past that there was nothing.

I'm fairly certain the "FJ" variant is closer to a 118K than the 118F, but it's hard to tell. The ISPs I can find listed are higher than the 118F but lower than the 118K

Interesting thing for those that don't know - the Delta II upper stage tankage design was actually developed for the Japanese N-II rocket. The Delta production line had all-but shut down by then due to Shuttle, and the N-II keeping the production line mostly intact more or less saved the vehicle family.

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Also, I just found out they had plans to make a monstrous Saturn V called the S-V, or Saturn Centaur. And it used stage and a half setup.

Saturn 1/2 stage skirt when? :Pjoking

Please use tweakscale responsibly :D No further comment :P

zHWTQwYl.jpg

Yrw8qICl.jpg

wCLiplFl.png

1lCsbUwl.png

8 hours ago, Zorg said:

There's something vaguely insectoid about this station, I love it :)

The rads look nice btw. I think the contrast works.

Yeah I was just trying to figure out something a little different. I'm still not sure about the contrast but I think this part set might have needed it.

I forgot to actually list what I got in game last night:

• Large surface radiator (switches to conform to 1.875m or 1.5m parts)
  • Small surface radiator (similar switches, I didn't use it in that build but it's basically half as wide but the same height)
  • MOL Tracking Dish (the long dish-on-a-stick on the bottom of the station, no, sorry, it doesn't actually rotate to track anything. Beyond the scope of the mod)
  • A 1.5m switch for the ring docking port (unfortunately the ring itself is >1.5m so you can't put it perfectly inline in a stack, but hey at least it will mate nicely to 1.5m stuff now)

8 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Found these while searching the net for Mercury concepts, thought you would appreciate them,

Btw, that's not two Mercuries docked together, that's one mercury in two different positions.

A classic! I kept thinking about trying to make it but there's no good way to represent either of the access options. Plus, like, I'm not sure it would have a purpose in game :P Since the science returns would be so low.

4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

A classic! I kept thinking about trying to make it but there's no good way to represent either of the access options. Plus, like, I'm not sure it would have a purpose in game :P Since the science returns would be so low.

A mercury science space station would be neat. And actually, you could just make it a extended mission pod. Kind of like Apollo bk 3 and 4. It would help early game.

Edited by GoldForest

11 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

A mercury science space station would be neat. And actually, you could just make it a extended mission pod. Kind of like Apollo bk 3 and 4. It would help early game.

Maybe if/when we do a Mercury revamp. There's also the MA-10 retro pack which might be worth doing just for shiggles. Basically a the same retro pack but with extra consumables mounted to allow Mercury to fly a 3 day mission. Considering the amount of failures on the flown "long duration" missions, I am somewhat dubious that the pilot would have been able to make it home at the end of the 3 days...

freedom7iirear.jpg

8 minutes ago, MadMan! said:

Ares V :) (First time posting in a forum :D ) I LOVE the new tanks!

Max Payload ~ 70 tons LKO

(Using Zorg's config for the visual :D)

That's awesome! Welcome to the forum! :)

On 10/10/2019 at 10:40 AM, Zorg said:

Some transatlantic cooperation here. Titan III core with Ariane 4 PAL boosters.

That's so cool! Good to know that 1.875m adapter interstage works nice!

Still aiming for the end of the month for release of BDB v1.6. I'm traveling this weekend and won't be able to get progress on the handful of remaining things.

But, in the meantime... oh god I can't wait to start pushing stuff for the next update... (before y'all get upset, this is stuff I've been working on when I'm stuck on my non-Unity PC)

Redone GE-405 Vanguard enginer

mTH72bz.png

Thor/Delta revamp already has a good chunk of progress done...

vesCkBJ.png

Ablestar and Delta E

W8Ln1SS.png

Better look at the (still untextured) underside - note the more accurate internal layout.

450QfRE.png

Don't really know what I wanted to show with this image... just a closer look I suppose.

Also, we decided to make the Able, Ablestar/Delta and Agena use interstages this time around. The reason should become apparent as we move forward...

Er, well actually if you look at the image above at least part of it should become apparent - the AJ10 needed to be recessed into the stage body!

MNFOv0I.png

We're FINALLY getting some proper Castor 1s and 2s... and oh, what's this? A new, accurate, and super unique radial decoupler? wow!

N3d7Hfr.png

Mockup of the proposed HOSS upper stage - basically, cut down Thor tankage with an RL-10 on the bottom.

DMn4RmZ.png

20 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

*snip*

Is the LR-79/MB-3 still going to be a single part, or will it be engine+mount+verniers like the Atlas is?

Edit: I tabbed away during re-entry to look at the pictures you posted and respond, but didn't make it back in time. R.I.P. Jeb, Val and Bob ( also Alexei Leonov who died today ).

Edited by Mudwig

39 minutes ago, Mudwig said:

Is the LR-79/MB-3 still going to be a single part, or will it be engine+mount+verniers like the Atlas is?

Edit: I tabbed away during re-entry to look at the pictures you posted and respond, but didn't make it back in time. R.I.P. Jeb, Val and Bob ( also Alexei Leonov who died today ).

I've been thinking... So the far better option IMO is to make LR-79 as an independent part. Possibly with a mesh switch for the different variants... Separate the boattail, engine and verniers... Now the problem is that makes Thor much less viable early game from a part count POV.

So... What do people think about that? Personally I like breaking the parts up more to make building rockets more granular and detailed. But is that an issue for people? Personally i dont like the part count restrictions early game. Are people playing with something that modifies it?

I know a lot of people like sandbox but personally I always wanted BDB to be a career mod which is why part count remains a concern.

If I do that I'd probably put in the work of separating out the RS-27s and LR-101s from the Delta II boattail and make the RS-27s B9 switches on the LR-79 base part. I'm already more or less committed to redoing the Delta K upper stage.

32 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

...bloop blop...

I think the separate parts makes building the rockets more fun and while I understand the concern about part count restrictions, I think usable payloads for the smaller rockets are also necessarily simpler and have fewer parts anyway, so I don't think it matters all that much.

58 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Are people playing with something that modifies it?

I don't know of anyone who has done a MOD for that.  Nor do I know what you would change. 

In my play-throughs, unless I add DMagic Orbital Science before I break the 45 Science barrier, I am actually mass Limited not part count limited.  IF I add Orbital Science part count goes out the window

58 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I've been thinking... So the far better option IMO is to make LR-79 as an independent part. Possibly with a mesh switch for the different variants... Separate the boattail, engine and verniers... Now the problem is that makes Thor much less viable early game from a part count POV.

Err,   What about a Boat-Tail Mesh switch as well?   That way we can run the RS-27A on a First Generation Thor! :D  Sure now we are at 2 parts but 2 parts is better than 5

21 minutes ago, Mudwig said:

I think the separate parts makes building the rockets more fun and while I understand the concern about part count restrictions, I think usable payloads for the smaller rockets are also necessarily simpler and have fewer parts anyway, so I don't think it matters all that much.

err, After I get Pioneer up, My payloads are in the 10 to 15 part range.   Since I am mass limited by the Launch pad I can't loft BIG payloads.  But I can launch payloads with lots of Parts.   That being said... See point 2 above

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Mockup of the proposed HOSS upper stage - basically, cut down Thor tankage with an RL-10 on the bottom.

DMn4RmZ.png

Does this mean when Delta K gets redone it's interstage will be used for HOSS in addition to the Straight 8s Delta-F/P?

Edited by Pappystein

Because everyone's posting Delta IV tax, here's a Delta IV Heavy analog. 

Made out all but two BDB parts. Only non-BDB parts are the stock vernier thrusters and the probe core. Restock is install, so the probe uses that model.

Regor A/F-1A engines used in place of RS-68. 

Tweakscale was used to make the DCSS bigger.

Fe9m0Bu.jpg

(For those wondering why the sceenshot is so large, I play fullscreen on a ultrawide.)

Edited by GoldForest