CobaltWolf

[1.6.X] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.5.2 "Бруно" 8/Feb/2019)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Plecy75 said:

i'll post a video of a Sarnus-IB flight with aero and debug as soon as i get home. i'm flying an exact replica based on the manual

Or you could get KJR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Pics of the rocket with aero overlay open and drag/debug menu open on the LAS part?  Could be that the part is overly draggy but others are not noticing due to differences in craft design (e.g. they have fins / larger fins, so no flipping).

In SSTU I had to manually adjust the drag on the LAS/BPC parts to prevent unwanted rocket flipping on certain designs (the SSTU LAS towers also use shielding/occlusion code to hide the drag of the command pod they are attached to).  As a bonus it also results in better drag with the LAS installed than without it, so there is even a reason to use it in stock w/reverts/quicksaves/etc.

I'm 99% certain it's the very heavy mass of the LES connected to the little docking port node. You can see it sink into the command pod just sitting on the pad. Autostrut to heaviest part fixes the unwanted movement.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jso said:

I'm 99% certain it's the very heavy mass of the LES connected to the little docking port node. You can see it sink into the command pod just sitting on the pad. Autostrut to heaviest part fixes the unwanted movement.

That seems like a plausible explanation.  A wobbly LES (at the front of the rocket) would cause some... undesirable handling characteristics for everything behind it.  Probably never saw that problem on SSTU parts as the LES generally aren't that heavy, and I use size 2/3 (or larger) attach-nodes on everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incoming Scout Hype! That I may have missed the first time around...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Scout_launch_vehicle.jpg

But srsly, Star 31 will be getting an art pass so it actually looks right on Scout.

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Or you could get KJR.

already have it. read the entire conversation before you suggest fixes, that way you won't suggest things that have already been tried.

Edited by Plecy75
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ummm... is it normal to put a Sarnus-V with munar package in orbit with a half full second stage and full third stage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Plecy75 said:

ummm... is it normal to put a Sarnus-V with munar package in orbit with a half full second stage and full third stage?

Yes, on a stock scale system. Try using a 3-3.2x scale system for more real world performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Plecy75 said:

ummm... is it normal to put a Sarnus-V with munar package in orbit with a half full second stage and full third stage?

On 10/11/2016 at 6:34 PM, CobaltWolf said:

NOTE – BDB is balanced to have parts inline with stock values. This means that the rockets significantly overperform in the stock system. The alternative would be to have parts that are very underpowered compared to contemporary parts. To achieve proper balance, we recommend using a 3.2x rescale, which requires rockets to be built with more realistic proportions.

Quoting myself to save time. Basically, the parts are all balanced against stock parts - same fuel amounts for a given volume of tankage, for example. The parts are modeled at the same scale as stock parts. It's just the stock system is too small. Rather than nerf everything to make it work in the stock system (thus making the parts useless compared to, say, Tantares) we just let the player decide whether they want to make the parts (and thus, all their other parts) perform more accurately.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Quoting myself to save time. Basically, the parts are all balanced against stock parts - same fuel amounts for a given volume of tankage, for example. The parts are modeled at the same scale as stock parts. It's just the stock system is too small. Rather than nerf everything to make it work in the stock system (thus making the parts useless compared to, say, Tantares) we just let the player decide whether they want to make the parts (and thus, all their other parts) perform more accurately.

Thanks, I was really surprised when that happened.

Another thing, why are the parts at a point in the tech tree where I have to do 3 Mun missions before I get the actual Sarnus-V first stage? (i still don't have the S-IVB guidance system!) I had to do 3 Kerbin Orbit Rendevous missions with the Sarnus-I before I got enough science. I now know why they went with the Lunar Orbit Rendevous system in the real world!

Edited by Plecy75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Quoting myself to save time. Basically, the parts are all balanced against stock parts - same fuel amounts for a given volume of tankage, for example. The parts are modeled at the same scale as stock parts. It's just the stock system is too small. Rather than nerf everything to make it work in the stock system (thus making the parts useless compared to, say, Tantares) we just let the player decide whether they want to make the parts (and thus, all their other parts) perform more accurately.

That moment when Cobalt quoted himself to save time and then proceeded to paraphrase his quote anyway...

 

This reminds me, have you tested any missions out to like Jool or anything with 2-3x scale? How's that dV? I will try this at some point but it's just I already have some dV and altitude values memorized... :(

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Plecy75 said:

Thanks, I was really surprised when that happened.

Another thing, why are the parts at a point in the tech tree where I have to do 3 Mun missions before I get the actual Sarnus-V first stage? (i still don't have the S-IVB guidance system!) I had to do 3 Kerbin Orbit Rendevous missions with the Sarnus-I before I got enough science. I now know why they went with the Lunar Orbit Rendevous system in the real world!

Tech tree balance is currently being audited and pretty much completely redone by @minepagan

48 minutes ago, akron said:

That moment when Cobalt quoted himself to save time and then proceeded to paraphrase his quote anyway...

This reminds me, have you tested any missions out to like Jool or anything with 2-3x scale? How's that dV? I will try this at some point but it's just I already have some dV and altitude values memorized... :(

Can't say I have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, akron said:

That moment when Cobalt quoted himself to save time and then proceeded to paraphrase his quote anyway...

 

This reminds me, have you tested any missions out to like Jool or anything with 2-3x scale? How's that dV? I will try this at some point but it's just I already have some dV and altitude values memorized... :(

That's easy! 

Step 1: acquire stock system Delta-V map

Step 2: find total delta-v required for the trip you plan to take

Step 3: multiply this value by the square root of the rescale factor (ex: 3200 m/s * sqrt(3))

Step 4: ????

Step 5: Profit

Do that, and you should get a slightly generous, yet accurate, minimum delta-V requirement for any rescaled system.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are Float rings and Float rounds planned like the ones in FASA ?

Edited by Wolfair corp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Wolfair corp. said:

Are Float rings and Float rounds programmed like the ones in FASA ?

Nope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We may have lost some threads, but unfortunately I'm still a slave to this one...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

We may have lost some threads, but unfortunately I'm still a slave to this one...

i don't get it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plecy75 said:

i don't get it

The forum kraken ate a couple of threads. People are moaning about it while the devs are trying to salvage the data.

Edited by Ralathon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ralathon said:

The forum kraken ate a couple of threads. People are liquiding and moaning about it while the devs are trying to salvage the data.

ah, good to know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ralathon said:

The forum kraken ate a couple of threads. People are moaning about it while the devs are trying to salvage the data.

More than a couple. 25 went missing, including all the stickies that used to be on the first page of this sub forum.  Which has led me to speculate that it was any thread that was unlucky enough to be on the first page. 

One of those threads was the MechJeb thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MaxxQ said:

More than a couple. 25 went missing, including all the stickies that used to be on the first page of this sub forum.  Which has led me to speculate that it was any thread that was unlucky enough to be on the first page. 

One of those threads was the MechJeb thread

Although a side benefit is that the next-to-most-popular mods are now in the first page highlight... :wink: 

Edited by Beetlecat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to kill the vibe, but the forum Kraken is a discussion for a different topic. You know how this thread is. We're pretty off topic but let's at least try to keep BDB discussion on the BDB thread and everything else on everything else's thread. Thank you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe i should make a thread for discussion if random junk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To bring it back on topic...

dcS0iXH.png

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a shame this thread wasn't a victim of the forum kraken.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now