[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

40 minutes ago, Galileo said:

While this pack is an awesome representation of real life parts and textures, he clearly states it is stock-alike in the title. This means scratches. 

37 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Would follow up that the by the time the REAL launchers got to the pad they all had scratches.   The obvious ones were touched up but there are still several innocuous places that many of the Saturn Rockets can be seen to have damaged/worn paint.

Believe me I am not averse to scratched paint or dings here and there. This sort of thing looked fine for a long time but with @CobaltWolf adding all the maps he can think of it starts falling down. With the graphics overhaul that Cobalt is doing it makes these lines look less like scratched paint and more like some one ran over that panel with a tank...

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

6 minutes ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Believe me I am not averse to scratched paint or dings here and there. This sort of thing looked fine for a long time but with @CobaltWolf adding all the maps he can think of it starts falling down. With the graphics overhaul that Cobalt is doing it makes these lines look less like scratched paint and more like some one ran over that panel with a tank...

You are entitled to your opinion, but to me they are just your typical run of the mill, stock-alike scratches and fit very well alongside the stock parts. His scratches are very comparable to the stock ones. 

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but to me they are just your typical run of the mill, stock-alike scratches and fit very well alongside the stock parts. His scratches are very comparable to the stock ones. 

Most of Cobalt's work you are completely correct. For instance, in the contentious image if you look at the Skylab solar panel, right at the pivot point you can see the same technique used to much better effect. This one panel on this one part sticks out like a sore thumb (apparently because he accidentally copied over a map when he didn't mean too) and me and @TimothyC like to give Cobalt crap about stuff like that.

9 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Most of Cobalt's work you are completely correct. For instance, in the contentious image if you look at the Skylab solar panel, right at the pivot point you can see the same technique used to much better effect. This one panel on this one part sticks out like a sore thumb (apparently because he accidentally copied over a map when he didn't mean too) and me and @TimothyC like to give Cobalt crap about stuff like that.

Yeah, the scratches on that one particular panel look like they were done a little too zealously...

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Pump your breaks fellas, I copied the wrong layer to the normal map without realizing it. :rolleyes:

How dare you do something so human as make a mistake? I'm terribly disappointed. :wink:

2 hours ago, Jack Wolfe said:

How dare you do something so human as make a mistake? I'm terribly disappointed. :wink:

:P

@Nertea and some others gave me some good critique notes so I have a whole 'nother pass to do on the Saturn stuff.

But, just to keep y'all interested...

REJnAfw.png

Wuea6aE.png

PegnzDy.png

(Note that Skylab needs a small texture pass as well. Also, for those curious, you can see that fully assembled Spacelab/Skylab is ~35k polys)

EDIT: Also, @PickledTripod decided to make longer Centaur tanks! I need to take a quick pass at them when I do the rest of Centaur, but hurray! One more piece of the Atlas V puzzle!

SYmxxE2.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

Skylab B Intensifies!!!

ISS-solar-array-configs1-copy-660x440.jp

*Doffs the Hype Hat*

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. It's been stated again and again that BDB works best with a 3-3.4x solar system, is there such a mod that is endorsed by the BDB balance team? *looking at you @Jso*

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

1 minute ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Skylab B Intensifies!!!

*Doffs the Hype Hat*

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. It's been stated again and again that BDB works best with a 3-3.4x solar system, is there such a mod that is endorsed buy the BDB balance team? *looking at you @Jso*

IIRC Sigma is supported (and my personal favorite, since you can easily manipulate the settings to your liking to make it easier/harder/different-er)

I really don't know of any others off the top of my head...

On 4/21/2017 at 6:15 PM, Pappystein said:

Oh come on!  You know hypothetical Titan rockets have a higher importance than anything Mercury right?   J/K :)

Besides your own "rank" says you are a Titan II handyman... Wouldn't a Titan V be better?  :)

I don't think he has plans for adding The Phoenix any time soon.:wink:

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT: Also, @PickledTripod decided to make longer Centaur tanks! I need to take a quick pass at them when I do the rest of Centaur, but hurray! One more piece of the Atlas V puzzle!

Ohhh!  SHINY!   

Personally I could care less about Atlas V...   I would kill for a good Diagram with dimensions for a Rocketdyne H-2 engine so @CobaltWolf could make it for the original proposed "Atlas F."    No need for the RD-180 then :)   Performance of the Atlas IIA(S) 20 years earlier.......  

Ok maybe Kill is too strong of a word... But it would be nice to bring this paper engine to life in KSP.   I am assuming it  falls some where in look between the H-1D and the E-1...  

15 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

I am assuming it  falls some where in look between the H-1D and the E-1...  

>>Implying we know what the E-1 looks like

1 hour ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Skylab B Intensifies!!!

[snipped]

Actually it looks like it's Spacelab, from Eyes Turned Skywards.

sl-jpg.202674

sl11-sml-jpg.202524

cargo-run-sm-jpg.201577

(Edit: Is it just me, or does this last pic look....off?)

Edited by minepagan

6 hours ago, minepagan said:

>>Implying we know what the E-1 looks like

Um....  I do,   Pictures linked below  Rocketdyne E-1 prototype:

http://www.astronautix.com/e/e-1.html

Two photos of E-1 at the above link.   The Family line up of the LR-79 derived Family is only missing H-1 and possibly H-2 if I am correct and it is an enlarged H-1 derivative.

Please note the significantly different S-3D/MB-3/LR-79 bell shapes for Thor and Jupiter.   The S-3D flown on Jupiter is mechanically something like 90% identical to the MB-3 for Thor.... The Bells however are completely different.

Edited by Pappystein

13 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Sigma Dimensions... basic settings... advanced settings... hummm...

Looking @Jso Intensifies...

I use 3x with Sigma Dimensions for rescaling + Custom Barn Kit for adjusting the DSN. Should work with your preferred planet pack if you have one.

I don't edit the Sigma config files directly since they get overwritten every time you update. The config below I keep in GameData\zzzMyMods\rescale.cfg (I use zzzMyMods so my Finals are actually done last). It's got some presets for 3, 3.2 and 6.4x atmospheres and will handle scaling the CommNet stuff. I frequently flip between different scales when testing. Just edit the first line.

For 3x orbital velocity at 200km is 3986. GEO is 5408.3 km. You need about 5000-5500 dv for launch depending on the design.

Spoiler

@SigmaDimensions:First
{
	// Base Settings

@Resize = 3 // <---- SET TO DESIRED SYSTEM SCALE

@Rescale = #$Resize$
	@Atmosphere = 1
	@dayLengthMultiplier = 1

// Advanced Settings

@landscape /= #$Resize$
	@geeASLmultiplier = 1

@resizeScatter = 1
	@resizeBuildings = 0

@CustomSoISize = 0
	@CustomRingSize = 0

@atmoASL = 1
	@tempASL = 1
	@atmoTopLayer = 1
	@atmoVisualEffect = 1

@scanAltitude = 1
}

// http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/126548-wip122-sigma-dimensions/&do=findComment&comment=2961769

// 98km
@SigmaDimensions:HAS[#Rescale[3]]:First
{
	@Atmosphere = 1.12
	@atmoTopLayer = 1.25
	@atmoVisualEffect = 1.12
}
@SigmaDimensions:HAS[#Rescale[3.2]]:First
{
	@Atmosphere = 1.12
	@atmoTopLayer = 1.25
	@atmoVisualEffect = 1.12
}

// 112km
@SigmaDimensions:HAS[#Rescale[6.4]]:First
{
	@Atmosphere = 1.2
	@atmoTopLayer = 1.333333333
	@atmoVisualEffect = 1.2
}

// 126km
@SigmaDimensions:HAS[#Rescale[10]]:First
{
	@Atmosphere = 1.25
	@atmoTopLayer = 1.44
	@atmoVisualEffect = 1.25
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]:Final
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter],*
	{
		@antennaPower *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Rescale$
		@UPGRADES
		{
			@UPGRADE,*
			{
				@antennaPower *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Rescale$
			}
		}
	}
}

@CUSTOMBARNKIT:Final
{
	@TRACKING
	{
		@DSNRange[0] *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Rescale$
		@DSNRange[1] *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Rescale$
		@DSNRange[2] *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Rescale$
	}
}

3 minutes ago, Jso said:

I use 3x with Sigma Dimensions for rescaling + Custom Barn Kit for adjusting the DSN. Should work with your preferred planet pack if you have one.

I don't edit the Sigma config files directly since they get overwritten every time you update. The config below I keep in GameData\zzzMyMods\rescale.cfg (I use zzzMyMods so my Finals are actually done last). It's got some presets for 3, 3.2 and 6.4x atmospheres and will handle scaling the CommNet stuff. I frequently flip between different scales when testing. Just edit the first line.

For 3x orbital velocity at 200km is 3986. GEO is 5408.3 km. You need about 5000-5500 dv for launch depending on the design.

~Epic Config snip~

This should be in the OP, perhaps in some kind of separate section dedicated to answering questions that are asked frequently... :wink:

3 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Never seen this pic before. Probably pre-alpha pics. 

IE: Smaller MM on the apollo.

it's from when they still thought the MM would need to leave the windows exposed for docking. Spacelab also is missing the double wide panels.

Edited by CobaltWolf
typo

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

it's from when they still thought the MM would need to leave the windows excited for docking. Spacelab also is missing the double wide panels.

Windows excited?

Also, yeah, I saw the panels, they were pre-alpha. I've NEVER seen this.

Just now, davidy12 said:

Windows excited?

Also, yeah, I saw the panels, they were pre-alpha. I've NEVER seen this.

Typo. 'Exposed'. So the pilot could see to dock. Later I believe they switched to TV + a crew member watching through the front MM window for safety / redundancy.

There's a few of them if you read through the thread. The early designs/arrangement of the Freedom modules changed a lot after the first couple images as well.

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

Typo. 'Exposed'. So the pilot could see to dock. Later I believe they switched to TV + a crew member watching through the front MM window for safety / redundancy.

There's a few of them if you read through the thread. The early designs/arrangement of the Freedom modules changed a lot after the first couple images as well.

Oh. Didn't know that.

15 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Oh. Didn't know that.

Yeah. All that was later retconned out, which is why they're not included in the wiki's media section.

EDIT: @davidy12 you can see here, the original arrangement of Freedom had the CGL on Node 2's Zenith, and Kibo on the axial port. This means that incoming Apollo spacecraft have to nearly rub against the Columbus and Destiny modules as they come in to dock. This was later retconned, and their locations switched with the two Japanese modules.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/eyes-turned-skywards.208954/page-95#post-8108965

EDIT2: Here's the actual post where they fix it https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/eyes-turned-skywards.208954/page-97#post-8146872

Edited by CobaltWolf

18 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Um....  I do,   Pictures linked below  Rocketdyne E-1 prototype:

http://www.astronautix.com/e/e-1.html

Two photos of E-1 at the above link.   The Family line up of the LR-79 derived Family is only missing H-1 and possibly H-2 if I am correct and it is an enlarged H-1 derivative.

The "photo" showing the entire family is just a drawing, and the "photo" of the engine test is of such low quality that it's validity is questionable at best. Also, no other records or pictures exist. So yeah....heck, there's more documentation on the M-1!

Edited by minepagan