CobaltWolf

[1.6.X] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.5.2 "Бруно" 8/Feb/2019)

Recommended Posts

Sorry @Einstein_Cross_X1, I forgot to look at those earlier.... YIKES. I'm not much more than an artist, but I'm not sure I've seen so many errors in a log file before. It's definitely not just BDB... a lot of the .dlls are failing to load across the whole install... seems like it's, idk, corrupted or something? :huh: I'd start by verifying the game on Steam since it seems like some core loading functionality is broken.

 

Anyways, IUS dev stream starting soon on Twitch! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun part is over, need to do all the boring parts like autoshrouds and emissives and cfgs...

G0rpKjV.pngtpvHg7d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Fun part is over, need to do all the boring parts like autoshrouds and emissives and cfgs...

G0rpKjV.pngtpvHg7d.png

so glorious that I had to make sure to see them again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Fun part is over, need to do all the boring parts like autoshrouds and emissives and cfgs...

*Snip*

Speaking as I thought the “rough” models you showed us a few days ago were the final product, and I would’ve been perfectly happy to play with them like that, this blows my mind! These are absolute works of art you’re producing here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks so good, especially since I slowly get the hang out of using solid kick stages for orbit insertions. One real world question though: In KSP for instance, you may have a 600 ms-1 orbital insertion. Now your kickstage might have 724 ms-1dV. In KSP, I can simply match the fuel load to match. But IRL, I recon this is a big no-no, because you cannot fill your solid fueled stages to match, right? So how do the get exactly the right trajectory? I know that certain ICBMs hat mechanisms to shut down the boosters at the right time, but I do not see such mechanism on say a PAM or a Star48?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure Apogee Kick Mortors are built to order based on the requirements of the mission and payload.

I've found I'm using solids far more in 2.6x rescaled, especially for insertion into inner planets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Fun part is over, need to do all the boring parts like autoshrouds and emissives and cfgs...

The foil looks great, but except for the horizontal bands in the upper section. They make the foil look like it is in tension in that direction. It should look far more loose.

1 hour ago, StarStreak2109 said:

This looks so good, especially since I slowly get the hang out of using solid kick stages for orbit insertions. One real world question though: In KSP for instance, you may have a 600 ms-1 orbital insertion. Now your kickstage might have 724 ms-1dV. In KSP, I can simply match the fuel load to match. But IRL, I recon this is a big no-no, because you cannot fill your solid fueled stages to match, right? So how do the get exactly the right trajectory? I know that certain ICBMs hat mechanisms to shut down the boosters at the right time, but I do not see such mechanism on say a PAM or a Star48?!?

You shut down the second stage early, and let the kick stage fill in the difference. That's how it's typically done. Each stage has a planned dV for it to deliver. They do not burn to depletion.

Also, on some solids you can change the fuel load within a certain range. So not really built to order, but they can be customized to a a degree.

Edited by Dragon01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

This looks so good, especially since I slowly get the hang out of using solid kick stages for orbit insertions. One real world question though: In KSP for instance, you may have a 600 ms-1 orbital insertion. Now your kickstage might have 724 ms-1dV. In KSP, I can simply match the fuel load to match. But IRL, I recon this is a big no-no, because you cannot fill your solid fueled stages to match, right? So how do the get exactly the right trajectory? I know that certain ICBMs hat mechanisms to shut down the boosters at the right time, but I do not see such mechanism on say a PAM or a Star48?!?

2 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

You shut down the second stage early, and let the kick stage fill in the difference. That's how it's typically done. Each stage has a planned dV for it to deliver. They do not burn to depletion.

Also, on some solids you can change the fuel load within a certain range. So not really built to order, but they can be customized to a a degree.

My understanding was also that typically the solid would do 99% of the dV needed, and then the final velocity trim is performed by the payload.

 

2 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

The foil looks great, but except for the horizontal bands in the upper section. They make the foil look like it is in tension in that direction. It should look far more loose.

1 hour ago, StarStreak2109 said:
1 hour ago, Dragon01 said:

Emphasis mine. Try one that isn't fake:

Also note, the nozzle should be covered in foil, too.

Well.... I'm not changing the foil again. I like how it looks now.

That fancy-schmancy shader can't do emissives :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well.... I'm not changing the foil again. I like how it looks now.

That fancy-schmancy shader can't do emissives :P

Yes it can. :) At least as of 1.7 it should. Squad's RCS blocks introduced in 1.7 are an example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Fun part is over, need to do all the boring parts like autoshrouds and emissives and cfgs… (snippy pic)

Neat IUS! Also hows the second stage looking? a bit wierd that there are no pics of that (yet).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

Yes it can. :) At least as of 1.7 it should. Squad's RCS blocks introduced in 1.7 are an example.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that... F

also, re: the foil again, just to clarify a bit - finding foil bump maps is hard. It's not really something you can hand draw (at least, for something that looks like real foil), so I'm limited to a handful of free preview bump maps that I've found online that I can combine and blend together, with some small amount of hand painting to add additional contours around the other geometry. I'm sure that something like Substance Designer would let me do much more accurate foil, but it's not something I'm financially able to do nor do I want to learn a whole new software suite. It's not perfect or exact but I am happy enough with how it looks now and want to keep moving forward. I will take another look at foil on the outside of the nozzle - thinking about it more, it wouldn't make sense for the outside of the nozzle to have emissives anyways.

 

1 hour ago, DriftedCougar said:

Neat IUS! Also hows the second stage looking? a bit wierd that there are no pics of that (yet).

Oh, whoops! There have been a couple but nothing recent. I'm not at my home PC anymore but I cut this out of a WIP shot I sent to someone pre-stream yesterday. Should get the idea. :) When I gave up last night I was in the middle of making a toggleable 0.9375m shroud for the top, so that it could be used in normal stack applications (as well as an autoshroud for the bottom, of course).  The avionics (if that's the best word for it?) has a ModuleJettison type autoshroud that completes the 1.875m>1.5m adapter down to the interstage. The proportions aren't perfect but compromises have to be made, and I feel that the essence of the whole thing comes across well enough :)

 

zjeUf57.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that... F

also, re: the foil again, just to clarify a bit - finding foil bump maps is hard. It's not really something you can hand draw (at least, for something that looks like real foil), so I'm limited to a handful of free preview bump maps that I've found online that I can combine and blend together, with some small amount of hand painting to add additional contours around the other geometry. I'm sure that something like Substance Designer would let me do much more accurate foil, but it's not something I'm financially able to do nor do I want to learn a whole new software suite. It's not perfect or exact but I am happy enough with how it looks now and want to keep moving forward. I will take another look at foil on the outside of the nozzle - thinking about it more, it wouldn't make sense for the outside of the nozzle to have emissives anyways.

 

Oh, whoops! There have been a couple but nothing recent. I'm not at my home PC anymore but I cut this out of a WIP shot I sent to someone pre-stream yesterday. Should get the idea. :) When I gave up last night I was in the middle of making a toggleable 0.9375m shroud for the top, so that it could be used in normal stack applications (as well as an autoshroud for the bottom, of course).  The avionics (if that's the best word for it?) has a ModuleJettison type autoshroud that completes the 1.875m>1.5m adapter down to the interstage. The proportions aren't perfect but compromises have to be made, and I feel that the essence of the whole thing comes across well enough :)

 

zjeUf57.png

I quite like the look of the foil. With KSP's limited graphics capabilities, you are limited anyways and I think you, Sir Wolfy Sir, are scraping at these very limits anyway! Enough of the brownnosing, giving the IUS a foiled nozzle would make it 100%. However, I do not know how a glowing foiled nozzle would look like. Hence I think that the current iteration is good enough. Sometimes you have to follow the pareto principle. Even if only to keep a certain sanity of mind.

That upper stage with the extending nozzle is again a masterpiece. I did not realize that there are solids with extending nozzles. But then again, it makes sense when you have solid upper stages in a stack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

I quite like the look of the foil. With KSP's limited graphics capabilities, you are limited anyways and I think you, Sir Wolfy Sir, are scraping at these very limits anyway! Enough of the brownnosing, giving the IUS a foiled nozzle would make it 100%. However, I do not know how a glowing foiled nozzle would look like. Hence I think that the current iteration is good enough. Sometimes you have to follow the pareto principle. Even if only to keep a certain sanity of mind.

That upper stage with the extending nozzle is again a masterpiece. I did not realize that there are solids with extending nozzles. But then again, it makes sense when you have solid upper stages in a stack.

I think I'll give the foil nozzle a shot since it doesn't make sense for the outside to glow anyways with the foil...

And yeah, it's actually not even the first! The last update added the second and third stage of the Peacekeeper missile (the basis of the Minotaur 4/5 LV) which both have extending nozzles as well! :)

eSFg4v4.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can i download latest version? I see people with those "shaped" sat cores but at github and dev githup there's nothing of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

The last update added the second and third stage of the Peacekeeper missile (the basis of the Minotaur 4/5 LV) which both have extending nozzles as well! :)

It is quite hilarious to watch those nozzles snap outward violently as you stage them :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Munarmunar said:

How can i download latest version? I see people with those "shaped" sat cores but at github and dev githup there's nothing of them.

They are on the development branch on Github but it's really only for testing because anything built off that branch will probably get broken several times over before release (which is probably not for a few months yet)

5 minutes ago, Zorg said:

It is quite hilarious to watch those nozzles snap outward violently as you stage them :D

It brings me joy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

They are on the development branch on Github but it's really only for testing because anything built off that branch will probably get broken several times over before release (which is probably not for a few months yet)

Oh ok...I'm excited to see these new parts in action!!! Could i ask for an estimate ETA?? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Munarmunar said:

Oh ok...I'm excited to see these new parts in action!!! Could i ask for an estimate ETA?? :D

6 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

They are on the development branch on Github but it's really only for testing because anything built off that branch will probably get broken several times over before release (which is probably not for a few months yet)

:sticktongue:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Gemini ever be updated (mainly just the service module, as it isn’t even remotely accurate. The real Gemini SM used solid rocket motors for deorbit), since it is technically Titan-related?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hieywiey said:

Will Gemini ever be updated (mainly just the service module, as it isn’t even remotely accurate. The real Gemini SM used solid rocket motors for deorbit), since it is technically Titan-related?

I think it’s one of those things that will get updated at some point, but since there are other parts that need an update more than Gemini it won’t be done any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hieywiey said:

Will Gemini ever be updated (mainly just the service module, as it isn’t even remotely accurate. The real Gemini SM used solid rocket motors for deorbit), since it is technically Titan-related?

16 hours ago, Jall said:

I think it’s one of those things that will get updated at some point, but since there are other parts that need an update more than Gemini it won’t be done any time soon.

Yeah basically. Gemini has issues with accuracy, but it doesn't make me vomit when I look at it and that's the kind of stuff I'm trying to fix first. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just happy to have reasonably historically accurate nasa parts period man, you keep up the good work :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying out a couple of the LR87 single mount engines. I think these will have tremendous lego-ing appeal for all sorts of builds. :D

kLT2a1Wh.png

AYbm2SWh.png

44L1X9vh.png

Y7bwXjsh.png

pVAsJ8ah.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.