CobaltWolf

[1.6.X] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.5.2 "Бруно" 8/Feb/2019)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Is there a reason you are making you own wiki instead of adding to the official one? I really feel like the official wiki would be way better if you were contributing to it. Yours is awesome!

Partly because I originally started doing it for my own benefit and to be honest I wouldn't want to be accountable for the level of perfection that would be needed to do the mod the justice it deserves (and I don't have access to edit the BDB wiki anyway).  Besides, keeping it unofficial means I'm free to make all sorts of errors and omissions (and additions) and the only person who is to blame is me, not the mod makers!

That said, I'd be delighted to port over the relevant parts to the BDB wiki if Cobalt & Jso would prefer it there.  I'm not really into maintaining a duplicate though so it would have to be one or the other, not both, which would mean stripping out some of the non-BDB & extra bits I've added for my own convenience.  I suppose the other approach could be to make it an Unofficial BDB Wiki and simply link to it from the BDB github.  Whatever is most convenient for Cobaltwolf and the team I guess.

2 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

While the wiki is on peoples minds I just want to point out something that they, and the ManualManuel before it, got wrong. The canonical way to build the "Augustus" Supply Vehicle includes a Leo parachute and heat shield. One of the big advantages "Augustus" offers over the Belle and and Rhea(MOS) ORVs is down mass. Also makes a nice escape pod for kerbals that get super board being stuck on a station too long!

Please can you share a reference link for the Augustus?  I've struggled to find any detail on ETS (assuming it's an ETS thing)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Friznit said:

Please can you share a reference link for the Augustus?  I've struggled to find any detail on ETS (assuming it's an ETS thing)

54 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Made up, I think,

Yes and no ;) when Cobalt was first playing around with the idea of ORVs I drew up some sketches for him for the Gemini based one. Here is the link.
https://imgur.com/a/sH2lL

Note the section just aft of the docking mechanism on all three versions. That is supposed to be a parachute. Also note, I don't think we ever got an inline .9375 parachute. (mislabeled in the sketches as .9275)

Later on TimothyC found an obscure document about trying to resupply MOL using Gemini. While I was pouring through it I found reference to a "Specific Design". It mentioned that it would be based on Gemini hardware and launch on Titan 2 but had no other details and I suspect was highly speculative. I don't have a link for the doc but TimothyC might.

 

Edit: More info
Edit2: typo

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

and let me know if there's anything I'm missing. :)

Zenith Star, because strategic freedom initiative....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been complaining about not having enough payloads for Titan, and then realized I never finished this thing...

UgreLwy.png

QdJpQFy.png

 

New leg in retracted position...

97cVAh6.png

 

New low-profile Gemini-compatible docking port. Available later in the tech tree, think of it as something between the Gemini port and the Russian Kontakt system.

EAewSHO.png

 

When deployed, the docking target flips out and the indexing guide flips up. Hopefully this will also be fun for Gemini stations.

HNHig4u.png

 

Anyone remember the FASA Mini Goo? I sure miss it... hey, what's this? Oh, just a turd observation experiment...

RcQABU9.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks nice. I always liked this mini lander. One question, though. Folded, does it fit inside Agena? :) 
geml640.gif

If not, are you planning any mounting hardware for this? 

On topic of that, think you could put the headlights as a separate animation from the canopy light? Last time I checked, they ran on a single one.

BTW, now that I think of it, I'd love to have a micro-headlight like that as a separate part. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 1.7.3, craft with Bluedog probe parts bug out when they explode due to re-entry. I started a new playthrough and freshly installed some mods and when a craft with a Bluedog probe gets too hot it doesn't actually explode. I noticed that the staging UI on the left vanishes, the map view no longer shows a vessels, the craft no longer slows down due to drag, but the graphics start glitching (clipping and vertex weirdness) and it will continue into orbit forever.

I can't say for sure it's a Bluedog bug, I have other mods, but so far it's only parts that do it. The vanilla probe cores don't have this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having an issue with Real Fuels compatibility. I tried grabbing the Saturn SI-C sub-assembly and noticed that above the first stage, the part adapter tank (I forget the size) for whatever reason only has an LF/O config, but the engines are set up to accept LH2/OX I believe so the sub-assembly won't work unless I change out that specific part with a procedural. This is just the first case I've found where this has been an issue so I don't know if there are further tanks but it doesn't even have the B9PartSwitch module it seems, and I can't find where the patch from stock to real fuels is getting applied for BDB to try and add it myself. Will update shortly with a screenshot if needed but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or BDB just isn't fully compatible with Real Fuels and that's the reason.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I did make the Titan 2 missile bits, and a lot of people have asked about the Titan 1 probe core, I guess I'll give it a go... But with a bit more of a twist from last time.

What do people think about this? Not only a good way to get experiments from space (I guess I should put an experiment in the probe core), but also a good sample return capsule.

I can picture racks of them packed with the little brown SRBs on MOS stations for science return duties... or even racks of them mounted to Burner IIs for science return from a Munar station? :)

jaYbIyH.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks good and very useful, but maybe split the heat shield into 2 bits, the downward but as the actual heat shield and the adapterish bit as the experiment/battery/thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

[snip]

Something like this would be nice. Also what about reviving your Mini Sample Return Capsule mod, or even integrating it into BDB? Maybe some payloads based on the Biosatellite and Orbiting Frog Otolith missions would be nice, but make them vegan or something I guess. OFO didn't return to earth (like Sputnik 2), and is of questionable ethicality by modern standards. Biosatellite did return to earth, however, and was more of a general spacecraft for biological research, it usually carried multiple experiments onboard; while OFO was a dedicated craft for studying the inner ear (otolith) of frogs. Biosat 3 carried a 6kg monkey to test the effects of the space environment on the brain and skeletal system.

Edited by hieywiey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the BDB dev branch already has all new custom "RealPlumes" built with PlumeParty effects for all liquid engines but the revamp is already getting a revamp of its own. As part of this ongoing effort, in addition to the new J2 aerospike plume being worked on, there is an all new LR87 plume for the LR87-5, LR87-11 and LR87-SL single coming very soon. Shout out to @Nessus_ who does the configs for Tundra for the guidance on how to do this.

It uses 9 different particle effects but actually emits only around 300 particles per plume max (x2 for an LR87) which is lighter than most real plumes. 

This is close to final but a few small tweaks still needed.

w2rOvhWh.png

4nXEjAGh.png

TeXWz5Fh.png

The shock diamonds will fade out as expansion begins and the expanded plume will be very translucent

2Xl7n2ih.png

Vacuum shape. Which I guess is what you'll start with on the air started Titan IIIs and IVs. 

b3R59d0h.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Help! I count'd find the ius part in folder! Anyone know where is it?

Edited by rogerwang86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, rogerwang86 said:

Help! I count'd find the ius part in folder! Anyone know where is it?

In the dev version of the mod is the IUS.

Note: the dev version is more for testing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KerbalKore said:

That looks good and very useful, but maybe split the heat shield into 2 bits, the downward but as the actual heat shield and the adapterish bit as the experiment/battery/thing.

11 hours ago, Redleg1 said:

The Titan 1 probe core/return capsule is an awesome idea!

Yeah, I don't know what I was smoking last night, the way it was split up kinda stinks... I think the pink callouts work a lot better.

This way also means you don't have to have the long middle section if you want to use them for return capsules from stations.

ORWkoaB.png

 

 

13 hours ago, hieywiey said:

Something like this would be nice. Also what about reviving your Mini Sample Return Capsule mod, or even integrating it into BDB? Maybe some payloads based on the Biosatellite and Orbiting Frog Otolith missions would be nice, but make them vegan or something I guess. OFO didn't return to earth (like Sputnik 2), and is of questionable ethicality by modern standards. Biosatellite did return to earth, however, and was more of a general spacecraft for biological research, it usually carried multiple experiments onboard; while OFO was a dedicated craft for studying the inner ear (otolith) of frogs. Biosat 3 carried a 6kg monkey to test the effects of the space environment on the brain and skeletal system.

Funnily enough, the scene file that eventually produced the TRYP and other new probe cores started with me messing around with a dedicated OFO science part and bonus antennas...

 

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

So the BDB dev branch already has all new custom "RealPlumes" built with PlumeParty effects for all liquid engines but the revamp is already getting a revamp of its own. As part of this ongoing effort, in addition to the new J2 aerospike plume being worked on, there is an all new LR87 plume for the LR87-5, LR87-11 and LR87-SL single coming very soon. Shout out to @Nessus_ who does the configs for Tundra for the guidance on how to do this.

It uses 9 different particle effects but actually emits only around 300 particles per plume max (x2 for an LR87) which is lighter than most real plumes. 

This is close to final but a few small tweaks still needed.

The shock diamonds will fade out as expansion begins and the expanded plume will be very translucent

Vacuum shape. Which I guess is what you'll start with on the air started Titan IIIs and IVs.

That's beautiful Zorg! I love it! :)

 

 

3 hours ago, rogerwang86 said:

Help! I count'd find the ius part in folder! Anyone know where is it?

3 hours ago, DriftedCougar said:

In the dev version of the mod is the IUS.

Note: the dev version is more for testing.

the IUS folder is inside the Solids folder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

[snip]

That's absolutely gorgeous! Does it use MonoProp for fuel or LFO? Is the engine for it done? Also, the IVA for the lander can has always been 180º off.

Edited by hieywiey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I remember why I only play with dev versions. I’m too impatient to wait to play with the new toys that are being made! I can’t wait to see that beauty in game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hieywiey said:

That's absolutely gorgeous! Does it use MonoProp for fuel or LFO? Is the engine for it done?

Also, the IVA for the lander can has always been 180º off.

I'm not sure? I'm leaning towards LFO for the engine and monoprop for the RCS... I think I might need to make like a little mono sphere tank, since I don't think I can justify making the tanks have 3 different fuels... I can see if I can add pill-shaped tanks or something to them.

I know, I'm trying to see if someone will fix that for me :)

2 hours ago, Jall said:

Now I remember why I only play with dev versions. I’m too impatient to wait to play with the new toys that are being made! I can’t wait to see that beauty in game.

Honestly, the feedback on dev stuff is appreciated so I don't mind people using them. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CobaltWolf said:

[snip]

IIRC at one point the light Gemini lander was considered to use LH2/LOX, and I know for a fact that the one in the picture below had it's life support system in a briefcase-like thing that was connected to the Astronaut's suit, and could be either carried by hand (like a briefcase) or mounted to the chest. This was because the cabin was little more than a chair with controls and a transparent window made of some kind of lightweight material (likely not glass, as it is heavy, and this lander is designed primarily to be as lightweight as possible). The suit would be derived from the Gemini EVA suit, with some modifications for Lunar activity. The docking port on this rendition is on the bottom however, and was derived from the Agena port (presumably made more lightweight).

4a5ff923720097.56327c3827c15.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I know, I'm trying to see if someone will fix that for me :)

It shouldn't be too hard, you can rotate, scale and translate an IVA just like any other MODEL node. Just move the config file out of the IVA folder (otherwise you'll get a duplicate mesh). The props in Unity need to be rotated to match, but you can just parent them to an empty game object, apply the same transformations as in the config, and export, then reparent them to the IVA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

It shouldn't be too hard, you can rotate, scale and translate an IVA just like any other MODEL node. Just move the config file out of the IVA folder (otherwise you'll get a duplicate mesh). The props in Unity need to be rotated to match, but you can just parent them to an empty game object, apply the same transformations as in the config, and export, then reparent them to the IVA.

I knew someone would know! Can you make a pull request soon for when I get it in game? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not currently registered on Github, sorry. That said, it's not exactly rocket science. :) I could PM you a config if you really want (that said, I don't have BDB on my old install, so I won't be able to do that until I've moved my dev stuff over to the new one). 

You should take more interest in IVAs in general - people do appreciate a well-made one, contrary to a popular misconception. I wish I could say I can help you spruce it up to make it really shine, but my KSP install is in a bit of a disarray, and I have a backlog anyway (that said, once that's done, I do want to take a look at both the mini lander and Apollo).

Edited by Dragon01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2019 at 8:53 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Since I did make the Titan 2 missile bits, and a lot of people have asked about the Titan 1 probe core, I guess I'll give it a go... But with a bit more of a twist from last time.

What do people think about this? Not only a good way to get experiments from space (I guess I should put an experiment in the probe core), but also a good sample return capsule.

I can picture racks of them packed with the little brown SRBs on MOS stations for science return duties... or even racks of them mounted to Burner IIs for science return from a Munar station? :)

jaYbIyH.png

Sokay... so I already have a Science probe based on Titan I (old model) in the Extras folder... and I like the crash, survive and THEN run science features of it.   However I am all fore this... except I would reverse the Parachute and Heat shield.   Make the expansion part the chute holder and the return curve the actual parachute (neatly nestled in the 1.5-0.625 adapter (IIRC the Mk-IV should be 0.625, not 0.9375... but you have the refs I don't)

If the mass was balanced about the geometric center (top to bottom) the part stack would fall NARROWEST first...  The wider area acts like an air-brake and slows the whole stack down.... insignificantly but it does.   Further, aerodynamically, if you weight the section you have labeled Heat Shield more to allow it to lead, you would have to use a SAS or similar controls to keep the probe stack steady.   Unless it is so heavy to that end that there is almost zero mass in the upper parts.

Now I LIKE your ideas for a return capsule... However it feels big then.   Any thoughts to reviving your return capsule mod to use newer parts/process/rules?   

I could see that updated with the features of the later stock science grabber part (that way to large cubical rectangle thingie that I keep burying in my Gemini and Mercury/stock Mk1 capsules.)   Then that set of parts would become useful again (currently you have to stuff experiments in those parts and they are hard to use/do.)     *EDIT ADDED AFTER THIS POINT*  If those parts were smaller (Parachute, Probecore/science grabber, heat shield and custom decoupler) you could honestly make some of the early KH film sats with only a few additional parts....

Edited by Pappystein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.