[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

So with the newest parts I went and downloaded the latest *DEV* version... Loaded my game while I walked away from the computer....   Viloa Blown up station cause I installed the master version!   ACH!  new build time.

Dorian Mk2 (I took no initial pictures.... in the Background.  It is a HAB with a 5+1 way dock I built out of STOCK and APAS parts.

Foreground is my asymmetric LAB module... 

kbzFCZ0.jpg

Next module is a Skylab:

I had just separated the Transtage from the LAB when I took this picture:

xyZ6Feq.jpg

In launching my new stages I launched a couple Saturn flights that used the new AIR LIT GEM-46 (as well as a Delta II stretch [thanks origional Thor tank!])   Here are some of those shots!

PFjJmef.jpg

Notice the bigger bell on the left for the Air Lit.   ^^^^

And a Circle of my station (notice the new power module that Uses all but One of Cobalt's tracking solar panels)

aITVzF5.jpg

40YIIfk.jpg

16WuflO.jpg

aCRCy4d.jpg

So uh... I'd post screenshots of the 11 parts we got in game this weekend... but near the end of my planned stream time tonight, my computer crashed. And... it wont' reboot. We've narrowed it down to something software related, the computer boots into debug mode but not normally. Don't worry, I have 3 physically separate backups of everything BDB related. :) Not looking for advice right now btw, but I'll keep everyone posted.

Yep, we still are trying to determine if the issue is hardware or software related. But in the meantime, I did find some screenshots I took yesterday and posted. They don't do a good job of showing everything that got uploaded this weekend (I'm really sorry about that) but hopefully this inspires something that I've been wanting to use these new parts for: Basically, expansion lab modules for orbital workshop stations. I don't really like the solar arrangement that's on here (by the way, I reverted the solar panels to the older look/style so that they aren't as jarring. I had trouble getting them to match the Skylab ones, unfortunately) but hopefully you get the idea. Real quick first, here's a list of the parts that got in game / had texture updates to finish them this weekend:

• One room station module
  • Two room station module
  • Structural endcap
  • Cargo bay
  • Double-width Tianja-style tracking solar panels
  • Androgynous docking port
  • Ring docking port
  • Fork docking port (includes a low profile switch for radial mounting)
  • Colinear Antenna
  • Whip antenna
  • Dipole antenna
  • 1.875m flat plate adapter (Switches to 1.5m, 1.25m, 0.9375m endcaps)
  • 1.5m flat plate adapter (Switches to 1.25m, 0.9375m, 0.625m endcaps)
  • 0.9375m>0.625m flat plate adapter
  • Short 0.9375m crew tube
  • Long 0.9375m crew tube

Gosh... and I feel like I'm missing something too...

Anyways, here's those expanded-Skylab screenshots. Since it looks like I will be out of action for the foreseeable future, I wonder what everyone else can build with the new MOL/GMSS (Gemini Modular Space Station, the name I'm going to use for all this non-MOL station stuff moving forward) part set? Let me know if there's anything that you feel is useful that is missing on the Github issue. The best tag to search for to easily pull up all this new stuff is "MOS" btw.

3BlXzRu.png
Bypi2BG.png
mD6figV.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

So many possibilities with the new MOL stuff! But starting out simple. Having deorbited MOL1 sending up two modules for MOL 2 to try out the ring and fork docking.

Procedural interstage to protect the solars attached to the crew tube.

gbB5hJOh.jpg

An oddly familiar solar panel layout :P

KPz6XUsh.jpg

I quite like the more involved docking procedures that some of the BDB ports have with the soft docking features. The animations on the ring and docking port are very satisfying. The deploying of the forks, and the bolts on ring side to secure.

Do969Och.jpg

The first module carries life support and power while the second brings the observation payloads

JJ5d1edh.jpg

mwBR7xJh.jpg

12 hours ago, wallum61 said:

MOL-Salyut flies over the United Kingdom, 26th July 1976

The Erikson module attached to MOL-Salyut initiates three-way space co-operation between the US, USSR and the EU 

Oh that's awesome! Love what people are coming up with. I have moved on to the other Gemini Modular Space Station stuff, but I still have a couple finishing touches to put on the MOL parts... :)

Speaking of which, now that my PC is working, I finally managed to get a pic of all the parts that either got in game, or had their textures finished, this past weekend:

4rsV6qr.png

And, as a peak at the next set of parts I'm pushing through, there's been a bit of an expansion on the 1.5m parts.
I was planning on just doing the lab, but realized I wanted/needed more stuff for flexibility's sake.
From L to R:
1.5m end cap, 1.875m>1.5m conical adapter (for those not-DOS stations), 1.5m lab module, 0.9375m airlock, 1.25m structural node.
I was struggling with the node part, I've decided I'm going to make a new lower-profile radial attachment point, so you can just configure the node however you need. :)

xD6xm0l.png

Here's an example of a station core I shoved together in Maya using these parts (forgive the lack of textures on some things like the solar panels).
As you can see, this part set is getting pretty versatile. The fork docking port needs some sort of reinforcement or something so the forks aren't floating in the low profile version on <1.875m parts.

HyFeav0.png

And, since I'm adding the 1.5m lab, I had one more thing I wanted to add...
zUNNcjF.jpg
F6DEVjv.jpg
RIr3cCS.png

For size reference; it's the same diameter as the "hard" airlock part.
QemsTPi.png

Wonderful! Quick Qs, the Ring and Fork docking mechanism, when setting up to dock, the forks have to be open and the Ring's posts retracted yes? Also wondering if you plan on expanding the Commonwealth Rockets, maybe with a Europa V from ETS? Or even a Commonwealth station parts pack?

14 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

Wonderful! Quick Qs, the Ring and Fork docking mechanism, when setting up to dock, the forks have to be open and the Ring's posts retracted yes? Also wondering if you plan on expanding the Commonwealth Rockets, maybe with a Europa V from ETS? Or even a Commonwealth station parts pack?

Yeah.. you don't even technically need the forks to be open? Like there's nothing that prevents a docking if the forks are down, but it makes it harder. I also think I need to reduce the force/torque on all the new ports because the crazy amount of magnetic attraction can suck you in as you're tweaking alignment on final approach. And yeah, you leave the ring's bolts retracted and once soft docking is achieved and you're aligned, then you fire the bolts to form a solid connection.

CRE is still on indefinite hold with no plans to resume development, sadly. Just too much stuff to do for BDB.

25 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah.. you don't even technically need the forks to be open? Like there's nothing that prevents a docking if the forks are down, but it makes it harder. I also think I need to reduce the force/torque on all the new ports because the crazy amount of magnetic attraction can suck you in as you're tweaking alignment on final approach. And yeah, you leave the ring's bolts retracted and once soft docking is achieved and you're aligned, then you fire the bolts to form a solid connection.

CRE is still on indefinite hold with no plans to resume development, sadly. Just too much stuff to do for BDB.

Cool beans, also the shrouds on the RnF docks seem to disappear when I load in for launching, and ideas on that?

32 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

Cool beans, also the shrouds on the RnF docks seem to disappear when I load in for launching, and ideas on that?

Confirmed.   I have played with a few options in editor (no CFG or model changes obviously) and have had zero change.

Further for your consideration......  Someone mentioned BREXIT/CRE I believe......

On stream Saturday it was mentioned that I make ugly Stations using BDB parts.....   *SAD PANDA*    So, to that point I agree.  I don't plan my stations in advance... And I tend to not figure out where the Power node(s) should be in advance.   So I started by playing around with a new power station module for Dorian MK2... It made the existing station neater looking than the Solar Flower that is in my previous station post. 

You can see the new Power arrangement in the background thanks to 3 of 4x 0.625m probes that have 2x of the Single MOL large folding arrays and 1x Stock 1.x6 arrays + RCS and an Apollo Probe.   The core itself is a modified NARROW gauge add on with a 0.625m 5 way adpator (stock) on the end with 5x Docking Drogues... Again from Apollo.  The booster for this stage was a Titan 40B(S)   AKA a Titan 23D with an Ascent STRETCHED Agena upper stage.

JHKri4Z.jpg

Obviously in the foreground is the now removed... Flower all folded up.  

Now you will notice I am missing one of my probes.  I thought I had time to dock it and that Auto Warp was disabled on my Ascent Guidance from MechJeb..... Err WRONG so one of the array probes (they were radially attached to the power core under the Titan IV shroud,) was in an odd orbit... So I launched the following Rocket to catch and properly position the missing probe:

qVLR8wR.jpg

Yes the Above is a slightly stretched Excelsior Ascent STRETCHED Agena  It has 2x Air Lit GEM-46s and 4x Ground lit GEM-46s to get it to the eccentric orbit of my power probe...  Yes it is, graphically of the same generation as the Bossart Atlas tanks in BDB... But the flange like structures on the tanks adds a bit of pop that the current Bossart Atlas's are missing in my opinion.   I find I use the flange small tank on Atlas Centaurs to add more detail below Centaur so this mod MUST be installed with BDB on my system.

lpdnYKo.jpg

@CobaltWolf   I know it is a ways a way but I can't wait until you re-do Agena.  It is a workhorse upper stage for me and I really really can't wait until you do the wrap around folding Solar arrays you were talking about on stream a couple weeks ago.   The Existing BDB panels are either too small (Pioneer) or too Big (OGO etc)...   So I am stuck with the stock 1x6 crap to fit under the engine shroud AND clear the Agena tankage well when deployed in a 2x array.

Here is my Stretched Ascent Agena with the missing Power probe (thanks Tweakscale for the 0.625m sized Agena Control module) and you can clearly see the stand off ejector I used to keep the solar arrays from striking the Core....

KOBWOUe.jpg

4 of these arrays with 2x of pannels going up and down and 2x going in and out (Y and Z axis from the node...)  Give the same coverage as the 12x Solar Flower array I made previously.  

jUmRqEg.jpg

About to dock the last probe in the picture above.   It gives you the correct orientation for my solar panels.... the Flower that you can see on the other side of the station was de-orbited by Titan II upper stage derived Tug Launched for just such a purpose.   

YES the station is still ugly.   But it currently serves every function I need a Station for.    HOWEVER I am building a Dorian Mk3 at 1000km (vs 700km for Dorian Mk2)   That station was built in VAB before launching and I am only making minor tweaks as I launch new sub sections. 

My goal is to build the largest station that covers the most roles including fuel depot, with the fewest parts while not installing more mods.    It would be nice if there was a Rotating 3 Axis tracking solar array in BDB (think ISS solar array)   As far as I know only Shadowmage has done such a panel in SSTU but as I stated I am trying to keep the game MOD light and the only parts I tend to use from SSTU are the DOS and COS station parts.... and Possibly the Orion capsule.

Food for thought.  Ascent Agena (You have all seen me talk about it a few times now)   Is a lightened Agena D (the GCU or Guidance Control Unit looses the Helium tank and batteries are integrated instead of being between the GCU and fuel tank.   Add an improved Bell LR81 Rocket motor and viola you have a significant improvement to Agena while not actually changing the over all stage.    I needed more Delta V so I added an Agena A tank to STRETCH it....     In real life I doubt that Ascent Agena ever flew.  BUT given we do not know in fact, what variant of Agena flew the last few Corona missions...  The last 7 or 8 flights were just listed as Agena and not Agena A, B, D like earlier launches.   They COULD have been Agena D or they COULD have been Ascent Agena... Given we DO know Bell made several of the modified engine on the production line.   Visually the Ascent Agena does not have the White Helium tank in the center of the GCU (this is not represented currently in the BDB Agena anyway)  Beyond the removal of the Helium tank the Ascent Agena used lighter weight electronics to further lighten the GCU... This is in the form of Inertial Guidance instead of Radio Control Guidance (where ground based systems guided the stage.)   And Lastly the Bell engine would be updated to the 8096 variant with it's 100:1 Columbium/Niobium.  Not sure why the US calls it Columbium and the rest of the world calls it Niobium but it is the same stuff.   It is either bright silvery or dark Blue-Black in color typically.  The engine bell would be blue-Black just like Transtage (same material used for that bell.)

15 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I also think I need to reduce the force/torque on all the new ports because the crazy amount of magnetic attraction can suck you in as you're tweaking alignment on final approach.

I haven't tested it yet, but isn't there a new button in the editor PAW that allows you to increase/decrease docking attraction?

13 hours ago, Pappystein said:

It would be nice if there was a Rotating 3 Axis tracking solar array in BDB (think ISS solar array)   As far as I know only Shadowmage has done such a panel in SSTU but as I stated I am trying to keep the game MOD light and the only parts I tend to use from SSTU are the DOS and COS station parts.... and Possibly the Orion capsule.

I'm pretty certain Habtech2 has similar solar panels.

18 hours ago, Cdodders said:

You're not the only person to report that, I don't know what the problem is though.

17 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Confirmed.   I have played with a few options in editor (no CFG or model changes obviously) and have had zero change.

@CobaltWolf   I know it is a ways a way but I can't wait until you re-do Agena.  It is a workhorse upper stage for me and I really really can't wait until you do the wrap around folding Solar arrays you were talking about on stream a couple weeks ago.   The Existing BDB panels are either too small (Pioneer) or too Big (OGO etc)...   So I am stuck with the stock 1x6 crap to fit under the engine shroud AND clear the Agena tankage well when deployed in a 2x array.

My goal is to build the largest station that covers the most roles including fuel depot, with the fewest parts while not installing more mods.    It would be nice if there was a Rotating 3 Axis tracking solar array in BDB (think ISS solar array)   As far as I know only Shadowmage has done such a panel in SSTU but as I stated I am trying to keep the game MOD light and the only parts I tend to use from SSTU are the DOS and COS station parts.... and Possibly the Orion capsule.

I honestly have no idea what solar panel you're talking about? "Wrap around folding solar arrays"..?

No plan to do 2-axis arrays but there are definitely more panels getting made for the Gemini station part set.