[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Was there a definitive "This is how you get these parts to work with RSS" segment of this thread?  I'm not finding it if there is.  =)
And if not: How do I get these parts to work with RSS?
I've attempted SMURFF, but that seems to do nothing.

I've read that it works best with a 2.5x scaled stock world (i.e., 1/4 scale RSS) which doesn't seem to be valid for the latest version.

I'm not even sure what's available in 2.5x nowadays...

Edited by slaintemaith

Oh dear... so, I got a new phone, but haven't had time to set it up fully, so the email address that receives forum notifications wasn't added to the phone. So I missed this thread blowing up... Additionally, I've been having some IRL issues (feels like seasonal depression among other things) so I haven't been doing much with KSP as of late. Hopefully I'll pick back up soon! But, in the meantime, I'll try and answer as much as I can on my lunch break. :)

On 1/5/2018 at 11:05 PM, armegeddon said:

Found a slight bug in BDB by trying to figure out a problem with Kerbin Environmental Institute.  

If you have FASA Launch Clamps Continued installed, but not the full FASA mod, the compatibility patch for changing the geiger counter experiment ID still gets run (at least on bluedog_pioneer1) and renames the bd_geigercounter ID to geigercounter, which does not have a valid scidef since FASA is not actually installed.  This causes KEI to break since it cannot find a valid scidef for the experiment ID.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:22 PM, Pappystein said:

This is an issue with Kerbin Environmental Institute.   FASA launch clamps continued is not directly associated with Bluedog-DB.     The FASA launch-clamps in BDB should not Trigger this and Launch Clamps Continued should have just the same launch clamps that BDB has... so Why would you bloat the game memory by installing both?

Back in the day Frizzank gave permission for CobaltWolf to use his Launch-clamps.   The Launch-clamps in BDB are named BDB_FASAlaunchclamp25 etc. and while the names are derived from the original clamps in FASA and Launch Clamps Continued they are not the same.  

That is not an issue with KEI, but rather the fact that FASA Launch Clamps continued uses the same folder name. MM configs work by basically checking if there is any gamedata folder with a matching name. The fix would just be to delete the FASA compatibility file if you are not using the full mod.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:30 PM, Kerbal01 said:

@CobaltWolf you gotta put a corned beef sandwich in the gemini IVA now.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:37 PM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

But no bologna.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:40 PM, Pappystein said:

Really???   ONE and only ONE corned Beef sandwich flew on Gemini.   One and only one IVA has it.    Sounds fair to me! :)   Besides, Corned beef was meant to be eaten...   Not displayed.   A Sandwich wrapper with a Deli''s name displayed on it Floating in the IVA would be more appropriate :D

But more importantly, @Kerbal01 are YOU going to pay him for his blood sweat and tears to do such a significant art change?   What is more important to you?  A very minor but massively time consuming Art change or how about more Saturn Rocket parts and maybe if we are lucky in a the near Future a LDC Titan variant?  After all THOSE are things Cobaltwolf already HAS on this Roadmap

Yeah I wouldn't even know how to make that change if I wanted to. And I kind of don't.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:25 PM, Pappystein said:

Ok so I have been doing a lot of reading on the CASTOR family of Rockets.   Looking at the dimensions and the performance lead me to a realization.  The CASTOR 1 in BDB is almost exactly 1:1 scale.  The Castor IV is 1:0.625ish scale. 

IRL there are 3 major and 2 minor versions of the Castor IV not counting the XL(s).   There is a significant difference in performance between the variants.   Modeling this would require the use of Different types of Solid-fuel (which is supported thanks to BDB requiring the use of Community Resource Kit.)

So the questions:

1. Did the Bug in KSP that caused issues when parts had more than one activation/staging trigger ever get fixed (for self separating SRBs.)
  2. Does it make sense to re-scale CASTOR 1 to 0.5m which is ~0.64 scale from real life?   BDB has already "Broken" the 0.625, 1.25, 2.5, 3.75 "Stock scales" more than once.  This is a very MINOR change that should not break any vehicle given it's already small size and Radial nature of the beast.
  3. Would players gain a benefit for supporting the Castor IV, IVA, and IVB all in two variants (surface ignited vs Air Ignited?)
  4. Would it make sense from an actual play-ability standpoint to further embrace the CRK modlet to support a diversified fuel load for various marks of SRBs.    SRBs are not like Liquid fueled rockets since you cant add tanks with more fuel.. so the whole argument of/for "STOCK FUELS "is moot.  CRK changes the fuel density and energy which results in identical volume fuel loads having different performance because of the differing types of fuel (both performance and straight mass.)
  5. I am guessing the answer to this question is no...  or Not unless used along the lines of SSTU's structure but... I guess we still don't have a way to alter the performance of a SRB between various marks in the VAB (select Castor IV model then chose IVA Air ignited profile?)

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!

1) My understanding was that it wasn't a bug, but rather the game had never been coded to have more than one staging event per part.

2) uhhhh which one is labeled as the Castor 1?

3) Likely not, though there's always room in the extras folder.

4) CRK? Do you mean CRP? I'm not sure I follow.

5) No idea, not unless B9PartSwitch can affect engine modules.

On 1/7/2018 at 11:37 AM, Kerbal01 said:

neither gemini service module are showing Dv in KER

On 1/7/2018 at 12:29 PM, notJebKerman said:

idk but it may be because they act as docking ports rather than decouplers for the separation from the capsule. 

Dunno what to tell you, considering that making them as docking ports was the solution to KER not displaying dV when they were originally set as decouplers.

On 1/8/2018 at 12:24 AM, Drew Kerman said:

So yea, @CobaltWolf normally I wouldn't complain about awesome texture work but I'm afraid I'm going to have to downgrade your Agena nose in this instance for upstaging the rest of the craft :D

Sorry! But man that Agena nose is really high contrast... I should take a look at it to be honest.

On 1/8/2018 at 12:25 AM, demibear said:

I am guessing the remake of the crow engines do not work so well with Ferram Aerospace Research? They seem to produce lift and make the craft very unstable during flight. Removed it for the time being since there is nothing I can do about it, too many new toys to play with now. :)

Oh, the new S1F tank. Is that suppose to require modular fuel tanks to work? It is the only way I can get the fuel to show properly.

I have not done any testing at all with FAR.

Ach, another issue I forgot to fix. The B9PartSwitch configs that give the tanks fuel switching don't activate for any parts that already have a B9PS module - any in the mod that already had one likely already had overrides in place. The S1F tank as well as the new Atlas adapter both have this issue, which WAS pointed out to me prior to the hotfix but I forgot to fix.

17 hours ago, awsumindyman said:

@CobaltWolf, what happened to the SI-D parts? I remember seeing you working on them a while back. They were almost done, then they just dropped off the face of the Earth.

Sorry to say, but they very much were not done. :) I had only done a bare minimum work of hacking apart the base S1-C engine mount and seeing how the fit would be - so, partially done models with no UVs or textures. There are a lot of half-done parts for BDB, but my changing interests (in addition to every poster here asking for different pet projects, or even multiple new things at once) means that I get easily distracted. At the end of the day there is never enough time to get everything I want done, but the mod will always continue to move forward, receive new parts, and become better polished.

12 hours ago, Pappystein said:

That means at some point an older mod probably overwrote a newer release for one of the various bundled support mods (like B9Partswitch or DMagic Science Animate to name two.)

3 hours ago, awsumindyman said:

@Pappystein, it was probably the version of DMagicScienceAnimate bundled with Coatl Aerospace.

Likely, I believe the version of DMSA bundled with Coatl doesn't work in 1.3.1.

1 hour ago, slaintemaith said:

Was there a definitive "This is how you get these parts to work with RSS" segment of this thread?  I'm not finding it if there is.  =)
And if not: How do I get these parts to work with RSS?
I've attempted SMURFF, but that seems to do nothing.

I've read that it works best with a 2.5x scaled stock world (i.e., 1/4 scale RSS) which doesn't seem to be valid for the latest version.

I'm not even sure what's available in 2.5x nowadays...

Uhm, deleting this cfg may help: https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/blob/master/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/BlueSmurff.cfg

I don't really even know what that config does (never used SMURFF) so it might be the source of your issue.

RE: QSRSS, it doesn't 'officially' exist anymore, but currently I am using SSRSS with configs to turn it into 1/4 scale.

Where do those configs for SSRSS  1/4 scale live, if I may ask?   What mods are you using to achieve this?  (Sorry--I've been out-of-touch for a few versions--never know what's current anymore.)

Also, does the RSS/RO chat group still live?  I tried logging in to it and it had vanished.  =(

Hope you're feeling better, Cobalt.

Edited by slaintemaith

31 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

man that Agena nose is really high contrast... I should take a look at it to be honest

I think it's just a relative effect due to the lack of textures effects on the rest of the craft. Prob looks better with the rest of the Agena parts

39 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

1) My understanding was that it wasn't a bug, but rather the game had never been coded to have more than one staging event per part.

• Seasonal Doldrums suck.  Also the Flu this year seems to be more of the "Oh my god I don't feel good" type.   To me it just felt like someone wrapped my torso in a wide leather strap that was being restricted...   And my joints hurt.  
  • None of the Castor family of parts call out Castor 1 in either Realname or cfg... But I assumed the Early Rockets CastorSRB.cfg was Castor 1 since it's flavor text calls out the early Thurst Augmented Thor in general terms.  While the TExture looks like an older Castor I then thought that Bluedog_CastorRaddial.cfg was Castor IV due to the higher thrust and better fuel load (vs CastorSRB.)  If I was wrong then there is a balance issue here (CastorRadial has thrust of  91kn vs CastorSRB thrust of 58
  • I have a lot of stuff that could go into the extra folder currently.   Including patches adding IRFNA-IV/AZ50/NTO to appropriate rockets (via CRP of course,) The UA-1562 SRM,  Saturn MLV tankage extensions, Saturn C-3 S-III stage, Atlas-F(Proposed) H-2 Engine, Man Rated UA-1202 (It can be shut down and has a different thrust curve to reduce MAX-Q)
  • Yes I meant CRP.  I homogenized the Community Resource Pack with the Community Category Kit.  oops
Edited by Pappystein

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh dear... so, I got a new phone, but haven't had time to set it up fully, so the email address that receives forum notifications wasn't added to the phone. So I missed this thread blowing up... Additionally, I've been having some IRL issues (feels like seasonal depression among other things) so I haven't been doing much with KSP as of late. Hopefully I'll pick back up soon! But, in the meantime, I'll try and answer as much as I can on my lunch break. :)

That is not an issue with KEI, but rather the fact that FASA Launch Clamps continued uses the same folder name. MM configs work by basically checking if there is any gamedata folder with a matching name. The fix would just be to delete the FASA compatibility file if you are not using the full mod.

Yeah I wouldn't even know how to make that change if I wanted to. And I kind of don't.

Dunno what to tell you, considering that making them as docking ports was the solution to KER not displaying dV when they were originally set as decouplers.

Sorry! But man that Agena nose is really high contrast... I should take a look at it to be honest.

I have not done any testing at all with FAR.

Ach, another issue I forgot to fix. The B9PartSwitch configs that give the tanks fuel switching don't activate for any parts that already have a B9PS module - any in the mod that already had one likely already had overrides in place. The S1F tank as well as the new Atlas adapter both have this issue, which WAS pointed out to me prior to the hotfix but I forgot to fix.

Sorry to say, but they very much were not done. :) I had only done a bare minimum work of hacking apart the base S1-C engine mount and seeing how the fit would be - so, partially done models with no UVs or textures. There are a lot of half-done parts for BDB, but my changing interests (in addition to every poster here asking for different pet projects, or even multiple new things at once) means that I get easily distracted. At the end of the day there is never enough time to get everything I want done, but the mod will always continue to move forward, receive new parts, and become better polished.

Likely, I believe the version of DMSA bundled with Coatl doesn't work in 1.3.1.

Uhm, deleting this cfg may help: https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/blob/master/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/BlueSmurff.cfg

I don't really even know what that config does (never used SMURFF) so it might be the source of your issue.

RE: QSRSS, it doesn't 'officially' exist anymore, but currently I am using SSRSS with configs to turn it into 1/4 scale.

Ok, I was starting to think that might also be the issue. But I am no expert on any of this and especially B9partswitcher. Got rid of FAR, to many issues with it. haha

Cheers! Thank you for replying.

Edited by demibear

35 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

@CobaltWolfRIP S1-D, lost but not forgotten

14 minutes ago, Sudragon said:

Not Lost, merely misplaced. Like a 1LT on a Land Nav course.

9 minutes ago, demibear said:

2LT, 1LT have at least survived long enough to listen to their NCOs.

Not lost, just probably still another year from eventual rediscovery and release :P

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Not lost, just probably still another year from eventual rediscovery and release :P

Cool, then I can build the Saturn V-D: SI-D, S-II, S-IVB, four 100ft SRBs. Theoretical lift capacity: The ENTIRE ISS.

Minor issue, but some of the newer parts like the Kane-11-120MM and the Sarnus-BFBM lack any habitation time for USI-LS unlike older parts like the MOL and KANE-11-80MM.  

Looks like an entry just needs to be added in the usi-ls.cfg compatibility file for those.

Okay, I finally upgraded to 1.3.1 and new "New Atlas" BDB. I like the new Atlas.

I also like that bright idea about making "Muo 1.875m Decoupler" (which is used for, well, MANY other things) not only deprecated, but also unavailable to use (at least in Career mode). Had some WTH moments when I saw all my Titans as "having locked parts".

I really, really, REALLY hate it when mod authors decide that "this part looks ugly, let's rework it and break all the saves!!!"

I really hate it. And I really hate perfectionism freaks. They should be shot. With tank cannons, at point-blank range. Without any sort of trial.

On 1/11/2018 at 4:55 AM, sjbuggs said:

Minor issue, but some of the newer parts like the Kane-11-120MM and the Sarnus-BFBM lack any habitation time for USI-LS unlike older parts like the MOL and KANE-11-80MM.  

Looks like an entry just needs to be added in the usi-ls.cfg compatibility file for those.

I do not maintain, well, any of the compatibility configs. We'll have to wait for someone to come fix it. :)

42 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Okay, I finally upgraded to 1.3.1 and new "New Atlas" BDB. I like the new Atlas.

I also like that bright idea about making "Muo 1.875m Decoupler" (which is used for, well, MANY other things) not only deprecated, but also unavailable to use (at least in Career mode). Had some WTH moments when I saw all my Titans as "having locked parts".

I really, really, REALLY hate it when mod authors decide that "this part looks ugly, let's rework it and break all the saves!!!"

I really hate it. And I really hate perfectionism freaks. They should be shot. With tank cannons, at point-blank range. Without any sort of trial.

I'm confused. Are you upset or not? :P You can replace the .cfg for that part with one from a previous version if I somehow broke .craft files (which I was trying to avoid).

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I do not maintain, well, any of the compatibility configs. We'll have to wait for someone to come fix it. :)

Alright, figured that was a possibility but also figured you might know who maintained it and maybe point me in the right direction. 

Or is it more a matter of whoever steps up to first affair?

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm confused. Are you upset or not? :P You can replace the .cfg for that part with one from a previous version if I somehow broke .craft files (which I was trying to avoid).

The part is still there and it loads normally. However, unlike other "deprecated" parts, the decoupler somehow does not appear in part list in career mode (something with .cfg, I guess), and thus throws "locked part" error on every ship and subassembly that uses it.

As for being upset... I had to load and fix every craft and subassembly that used this decoupler (and since it's basically a default 1.875m decoupler, I used it a lot). Doing that purely for eye-candy is NOT FUN.

Well, at least it's not Tantares with its five or so Soyuz "revamps"...

After about a week of testing (read: using it for every probe in my new save) I can conclude the Kohutek probe core with service module actively occludes it's own solar panels 99% of the time. Very annoying.

Edited by Kerbal01

Found a bug with S1F tank: it has no fuel inside.

The fuel returns if you delete mesh switching module from .cfg, but that introduces texture glitches on lower half (like there's two textures applied at the same time).

Might have something to do with my other mods, but I can't think of anything. I'm using B9 switcher from BDB v1.4.1 package.

16 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

The fuel returns if you delete mesh switching module from .cfg, but that introduces texture glitches on lower half (like there's two textures applied at the same time).

Might have something to do with my other mods, but I can't think of anything. I'm using B9 switcher from BDB v1.4.1 package.

I brought that up before. Someone needs to add the part to the overrides for B9 switcher since it has the module within it. Not sure if it is a separate cfg file or not.

Though the Sarnus IVB 3.75m Decoupler does strange things if you decouple while turning. Bloody thing gets struck around the IVB tank, spinning around like some California gangster's rims sometimes.

Edited by demibear

16 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

So before I go to the effort of making and posting a MM patch that will add the B9PartSwitch Fuel swapping feature I want to make certain since I am not seeing an issue in my game.    You have NO fuel or you have no way to select DIFFERENT fuels?

I have just launched a Saturn ID with the Saturn I-F fuel tank with no issues.  

Copy the below information into a new file named BlueDogDB_Temp_Bugfix.cfg and place it in your Gamedata folder (DO NOT PUT IT IN BlueDog_DB folder so it is easy to find later when the fix is no longer needed!)

Spoiler

// Specific Tanks with LFO as default
// S-1F stage and Atlas Adaptor tank Bugfix 1.0
// via Pappystein (Modified from original B9PartSwitch MM file included in BlueDogDB V1.41

@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1F_Tankage,bluedog_Atlas_AdapterFuelTank]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel],@RESOURCE[Oxidizer],!MODULE[ModuleEngines*],!MODULE[WBIResourceSwitcher]]:NEEDS[B9PartSwitch,!RealFuels]:FOR[Bluedog_DB_1]
{
    %tank_volume = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
    @tank_volume += #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$

%fuel_cost = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/amount$
    @fuel_cost *= #$@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[LiquidFuel]/unitCost$
    %ox_cost = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/amount$
    @ox_cost *= #$@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[Oxidizer]/unitCost$
    @fuel_cost += #$ox_cost$

%tank_mass = #$tank_volume$
    @tank_mass *= #$@B9_TANK_TYPE[bdbLFOX]/tankMass$

extraMass = #$mass$
    @extraMass -= #$tank_mass$

tank_cost = #$tank_volume$
    @tank_cost *= #$@B9_TANK_TYPE[bdbLFOX]/tankCost$

tank_plus_fuel_cost = #$tank_cost$
    @tank_plus_fuel_cost += #$fuel_cost$

extraCost = #$cost$
    @extraCost -= #$tank_plus_fuel_cost$

//@cost = #$tank_plus_fuel_cost$

fuelPctFill = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/amount$
    @fuelPctFill /= #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$
    @fuelPctFill *= 100

!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}
    !RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
        moduleID = fuelSwitch
        switcherDescription = Fuel
        baseVolume = #$../tank_volume$
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = LF/O
            tankType = bdbLFOX
            addedMass = #$../../tank_mass$
            @addedMass *= -1
            addedCost = #$../../tank_plus_fuel_cost$
            @addedCost *= -1
            percentFilled = #$../../fuelPctFill$
        }
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = LH2/O
            tankType = bdbLH2O
            @addedMass *= -1
            @addedCost *= -1
        }
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = MonoProp
            tankType = bdbMonoProp
            @addedMass *= -1
            @addedCost *= -1
        }
    }
}

If you have already modded the Tank types to include additional fuels (like AZ50/NTO) this SHOULD work with those, so long as you didn't alter the original BDB supplied B9PartSwitch compatibility CFGs with your own changes.    With the above code, all 12 types of Tanks I have in my game (because of the extra fuel combinations I created) showed up in the S-1F tankage

I am going to ASSUME that the final bug-fix by CobaltWolf and JSO will include some different configs for the Atlas Balloon tank structure to change fuel fraction etc (or maybe not it is just an assumption.)

Edited by Pappystein

On 1/9/2018 at 10:40 AM, slaintemaith said:

Where do those configs for SSRSS  1/4 scale live, if I may ask?   What mods are you using to achieve this?  (Sorry--I've been out-of-touch for a few versions--never know what's current anymore.)

Also, does the RSS/RO chat group still live?  I tried logging in to it and it had vanished.  =(

Hope you're feeling better, Cobalt.

BDB as it sits currently is well balanced for 2.5x scale (which is what I've been playing for the past few months).  Nothing need be done.  It's a tiny bit OP for stock scale.