[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

@CobaltWolf Can we please, please have this added to the FAQ in OP? Also if the 'A' after the 'Q' pointed to the specific mods and or settings in those mods to use, that would be even better. :P (Also tagging @Jso as he might be the one to write it up)

This is from the FAQ on the wiki. It should go in the first post.

The parts are really overpowered! I managed to take a MercuryHermes to MercuryMoho.

The parts in BDB are balanced and scaled against the stock parts. Unfortunately, due to KSP's tiny solar system, that means that the rockets you build will be more powerful than their real world counterparts. For realistic balance, use a 2x or 3x system rescale mod, such as KScale2

The Apollo stack is a real chore to balance so it hedges a little OP. You have to start from the Mun escape burn and work your way back. Mun escape, LEM ascent, LEM landing, CSM-LEM Mun capture, S-IVB TLI, S-IVB Kerbin circ, S-II, and finally S-IC. That's 8 stages plus correction burns along the way. If I recall correctly some weight got trimmed from the capsule and LES to accommodate the Saturn 1, so it's probably a bit more OP than I remember (one change up top throws the whole stack off).

On my own install I use a little patch to add an adjustable lead ballast to the S-IC and S-II tanks so I can tune the DV of those stages. It can get too light if you just pull fuel so I take out some fuel and add some lead.

@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S2_Tankage]
{
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Lead
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 882
	}
}

@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1C_Tankage]
{
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Lead
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 3528
	}
}

Clearly I haven't dug enough.  My apologies.  I thought the PDF manual was the only source of info on the mod, and didn't even think to check the Github(Didn't even know it had that feature). I learned a thing today!  Thank you both for being so quick to help!

4 hours ago, Dedalous said:

Clearly I haven't dug enough.  My apologies.  I thought the PDF manual was the only source of info on the mod, and didn't even think to check the Github(Didn't even know it had that feature). I learned a thing today!  Thank you both for being so quick to help!

That's my bad - I am several years behind on keeping all my ducks in a row. The manual hasn't been updated since... well, two years ago now. I need to make it link straight to the wiki, and the wiki needs to finish being written.

@CobaltWolf I found an interesting information page that you may or may not have seen before: http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/library.html

It has a lot of schematic diagrams for many flown and unflown variants of atlas, Titan, Thor and even Jupiter. Each has annotated diameters and lengths for all stages and adapters etc. 

I haven’t tried to cross reference the data but with the way it shows many previous variants against a new one and lists the tank stretch etc it may turn out to be useful for you. 

Hopefully this helps you and it isn’t one you have seen before

11 hours ago, dbandy13 said:

@CobaltWolf I found an interesting information page that you may or may not have seen before: http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/library.html

It has a lot of schematic diagrams for many flown and unflown variants of atlas, Titan, Thor and even Jupiter. Each has annotated diameters and lengths for all stages and adapters etc. 

I haven’t tried to cross reference the data but with the way it shows many previous variants against a new one and lists the tank stretch etc it may turn out to be useful for you. 

Hopefully this helps you and it isn’t one you have seen before

One of my favorite websites! I refer to his stuff a lot, especially for the LDC Titan parts! :)

Speaking of which... LDC Titan Beta 2 is now on the Github. The 4x and 5x engine mounts are now in game and the tanks have been touched up a bit. I really like the single-stick config for the LDC. It probably isn't big enough to launch something like an Apollo, unfortunately...

6ivuPpE.png
Id7lgls.png
TuNyJRi.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

One of my favorite websites! I refer to his stuff a lot, especially for the LDC Titan parts! :)

Speaking of which... LDC Titan Beta 2 is now on the Github. The 4x and 5x engine mounts are now in game and the tanks have been touched up a bit. I really like the single-stick config for the LDC. It probably isn't big enough to launch something like an Apollo, unfortunately...

YES!   :D

***Quickly jumps to the Github to DL the latest LDC fun!***   Sees a Hydrolox 3.125m LDC derivative flying on HG-3s REAL SOON! 

19 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I really like the single-stick config for the LDC. It probably isn't big enough to launch something like an Apollo, unfortunately...

Actually, It can, even in 2.5x, and it look amazing.

ZXhwfux.jpg

...If you use a cryogenic upper engine like 4 RL-10A-4-1. LFO upper stage is just too heavy to comfortably lift. It also doesn't have enough delta-V to lauch in 2.5x. :sticktongue:

H9mCD7c.jpg

e612Z5g.jpg

I'm having a blast with LDC, This is amazing!

Edited by Pulsar

@damonvv that's awesome! I don't know a lot about the Atlas V pads, does that also support the 5xx configurations?

@Pappystein I think Drak beat you to the punch ;)

@Drakenex awesome! Were all 4 SRMUs necessary for the hydrolox variant?

@Pulsar Sweet! Were you using the 5x engine mount or the 4x? I figured out the E-1s look acceptable on the 5x mount, the extra TWR really helps the first stage. I wonder if RL10-A4s (the short extension) work on that...

I definitely need to make different variants for the upper stage. Does anyone want anything besides a 1x and a 4x? I am not sure a 2x or 3x would be useful since the step down from a J-2 or LR-87V (not in the mod but will need to be included in the Titan engine revamp, for canon Barbarian builds) to RL10s or AJ-10s would be a pretty big one, you really need a cluster of those smaller engines for TWR.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, finally got around to updating the FAQ in the OP as well as the links in my signature! Let me know if I missed anything.

Edited by CobaltWolf

16 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT: Oh, by the way, finally got around to updating the FAQ in the OP as well as the links in my signature! Let me know if I missed anything.

Sweet! The new FAQ is looking good, it is even labeled as an FAQ now! I probably should have mentioned this earlier but KScale2 and Quarter Size RSS mentioned as BDB compatible re-scale mods are out of date and look abandoned, also, Sigma Dimensions on which KScale2 is based, is no longer supported (at least on the forums). These are contributing factors in my wanting specific re-scale mods named in the FAQ. As far as I can tell there have been no working 2.5-3x re-scaling mods for several versions now. If anyone knows of one that works with 1.5.x and is still being looked after, please post about it!

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

Sweet! Were you using the 5x engine mount or the 4x? I figured out the E-1s look acceptable on the 5x mount the extra TWR really helps the first stage. I wonder if RL10-A4s (the short extension) work on that...

5X for the first stage. 4X is not enough. For short nozzle RL-10A, I think it would work fine in 2.5x. You have to pitch up more though.

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

Does anyone want anything besides a 1x and a 4x? I am not sure a 2x or 3x would be useful since the step down from a J-2 or LR-87V (not in the mod but will need to be included in the Titan engine revamp, for canon Barbarian builds) to RL10s or AJ-10s would be a pretty big one, you really need a cluster of those smaller engines for TWR.

I can see the use of 2x mounting with the smaller upper stage tank. I would have to experiment more though.

57 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Pappystein I think Drak beat you to the punch ;)

Only with posting pictures.  Still can't get screen grab to work in this particular install of KSP (still running 1.4.5)     And yes since I know no pix no happen....  I will let Drakenex take the win :)

BTW Drak, NICE Titan Heavy :)

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I definitely need to make different variants for the upper stage. Does anyone want anything besides a 1x and a 4x? I am not sure a 2x or 3x would be useful since the step down from a J-2 or LR-87V (not in the mod but will need to be included in the Titan engine revamp, for canon Barbarian builds) to RL10s or AJ-10s would be a pretty big one, you really need a cluster of those smaller engines for TWR.

I already put my LDC wish-list in.   But I have a question before answering this post.   Is the Vac LR-87 going to be single or twin chambered?   If single chambered than I would request a 2 engine mount. The as built LDC stage is TOO big and too MEATY for the '10s to handle.     The '10s should be ideally on the stage ABOVE LDC-2

57 minutes ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Sweet! The new FAQ is looking good, it is even labeled as an FAQ now! I probably should have mentioned this earlier but KScale2 and Quarter Size RSS mentioned as BDB compatible re-scale mods are out of date and look abandoned, also, Sigma Dimensions on which KScale2 is based, is no longer supported (at least on the forums). These are contributing factors in my wanting specific re-scale mods named in the FAQ. As far as I can tell there have been no working 2.5-3x re-scaling mods for several versions now. If anyone knows of one that works with 1.5.x and is still being looked after, please post about it!

I haven't abandoned Sigma Dimensions however I only use github now since I got tired of the forums and the comments on my threads were not providing any useful feedback anyways.

I haven't received any bug reports for SD in 1.5.whatever so I would expect everything to work fine.

if you encounter any issues with SD feel free to contact me on github.

PS: I would recommend using "Rescale!" from @Galileo rather than KScale because if I recall correctly KScale was designed for an old version of SD that had a different syntax, which means they probably don't work correctly

So a MINOR issue with the new LDC engine mount.  I Do NOT think this needs to be changed but I wanted to bring it up.    Large bore engines (J-2/HG-3) do not fit nicely in the 4x engine mount.  They clip on the outer rim.  Not an issue cause they fit GREAT in the 5x mount and I can leave the central hole empty.

I just launched a full Big-Gemini with Twin RL-10 powered rear docking SM

Spoiler

(scabbed together from Saturn IV cone, BREXIT 1.25 to 0.975m Structural cone, Rescaled Centaur 2.5m tank (3.125) and rescaled OLD school Centaur Engine mount and decoupler (both 3.125m.   The BREXIT cone is upside down on the 3rd engine mount and then forceable recessed so the docking port is in line with the Extended RL-10A-4 engine bells.

I launched this as if it were a HG-3 powered "Improved Titan LDC"  with 2x UA-1205 SRMs.... WOW-WE  I know that BDB is really built for a 2.5x experience like Sigma Dimensions but WOW   In orbit with ALL STAGES except the 2x UA-1205s at 100km and I have enough fuel in stage 1 to de-orbit the entire thing!

From now on my Improved Titans will be HG-3 only powered!  

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

I haven't abandoned Sigma Dimensions however I only use github now since I got tired of the forums and the comments on my threads were not providing any useful feedback anyways.

I haven't received any bug reports for SD in 1.5.whatever so I would expect everything to work fine.

if you encounter any issues with SD feel free to contact me on github.

PS: I would recommend using "Rescale!" from @Galileo rather than KScale because if I recall correctly KScale was designed for an old version of SD that had a different syntax, which means they probably don't work correctly

Thanks for the quick update @Sigma88! I just kept seeing empty OPs, locked threads and announcements in big red letters saying things to the effect of 'only meant to to work with KSP Ver 1.[super old]!'. This is not to put down any of these mods or ones like them, and especially not the people who made them! I am just frustrated that every time I get all hyped to to play the game again, I say "This time I am guna use a re-scale for sure!" and then cant seem to find an obviously working mod to do it. :/ I also feel bad whenever I try to explain to someone that BDB isn't over powered, rather its a stock part<->system imbalance and that all they have to do is re-scale the stock system. They ask 'How do I do that?' and I have to shrug...

(P.S. Sorry if this post turned into a rant, I'm just frustrated is all.)

34 minutes ago, Orbital_phoenix said:

Space Tug approaching Skylab

Space tug parts are from my WIP mod:

Now why didn't I think of that for the Big-G Far orbital 3.125m SM.   Any chance you have your mod setup for Tweakscale?  Or are making 3.125m/3.75m versions?   :)

That is a nice 4x Engine mount with a DOCKING PORT betwix the engines!