[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

19 hours ago, Zorg said:

Funny you should ask about this, about a week and a half ago I started work on a fairing for Titan III-E as a learning exercise and the end result has now been added in. It works with Simple Adjustable Fairings (the dll is now included in the github bundle for the dev branch). This one is configured to have the nose only or a single side segment available as it doesnt really lend itself to being adjustable.

Um we're not necessarily looking to make SAF versions of all the bases but at least a few more fairings are being considered int his style. Most will have more options for lengths than the 3E one.

And now Titan IIIE is the prettiest... or at-least the most accurate looking Titan!

Here is hoping this stuff will all port easy to KSP2 if/when

10 hours ago, Pappystein said:

And now Titan IIIE is the prettiest... or at-least the most accurate looking Titan!

Here is hoping this stuff will all port easy to KSP2 if/when

I find life is easier when you don't think about KSp2 :P

Anyway...

Screenshot_2020-03-03_02.00.50.png?width

screenshot57.png?width=724&height=806

Commercial Titan III fairing coming tomorrow.

screenshot56.png?width=542&height=805

Screenshot_2020-03-02_21.44.02.png?width

Edited by Zorg

14 hours ago, Zorg said:

I find life is easier when you don't think about KSp2 :P

Anyway...

Eyaup,   Just like paying too much attention to Social Media, or the News can raise your blood pressure and or cause severe depression.   

You know, that this has caused the SHORTEST LIVED "Prettiest" Titan release I have ever seen.   Obviously this new fairing looks much better (mostly due to 3E metal bits!)    And while these fairings are not appropriate for everything (you should see some of the crap I am unwilling to submit as Photo-tax that I fly under fairings!)   They look AMAZING!

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

You know, that this has caused the SHORTEST LIVED "Prettiest" Titan release I have ever seen.   Obviously this new fairing looks much better (mostly due to 3E metal bits!)    And while these fairings are not appropriate for everything (you should see some of the crap I am unwilling to submit as Photo-tax that I fly under fairings!)   They look AMAZING!

16 hours ago, GJdude said:

Those fairings are gorgeous. Might be a simple thing, but visually that's a gamechanger.

Thanks all! I quite dislike stock fairings and although am a big fan of procedural fairings I hope these new ones will provide some nice looking options for people to use. Anyway the CT3 fairing is now up on Github and this one is configurable up to 3 segments. I prioritized making the single segment look good over smooth segmentation so it might look a little odd but I think its ok even lengthened.

Screenshot_2020-03-03_17.43.03.png?width

screenshot783.png?width=776&height=844

screenshot786.png?width=1500&height=844

screenshot791.png?width=1500&height=844

screenshot801.png?width=1500&height=844

screenshot802.png?width=1500&height=844

screenshot806.png?width=1500&height=844

Edited by Zorg

So Jeb thought the last rocket was "too boring." (EDIT: My last rocket that is. Not your amazing Titans Zorg!) In response, the KSP came up with this:

screenshot347.png

It uses a 3.75m Sarnus SOFI tank with a Regor engine as the central core of the first stage with 4 top of the line Titan upgraded SRBs as the main thrust for takeoff. Flies like a big Titan.

screenshot361.png

The upper stage uses a Sarnus cyro tank mated with one of Nertea's cryogenic engines.

screenshot371.png

What's inside the fairing is even stranger, but that is a story for another day...

Edited by CDSlice

Mercury update post - lots of good progress! Most of the remaining bits are, at the very least, blocked in. Quick walkthrough...

Here's an overall view of the capsule, with the LES.

In66bgA.png

Here's an early Mercury capsule with the original retro pack...

j4ed8Sd.png

Here's a later model Mercury with the enhanced retro pack.

3lHWC7T.png

Bottom view of the MA-10 retro pack.

jqqJbcq.png

Top view of the capsule, with the destabilization spoiler deployed.

5iKILm9.png

Block in of the drogue parachute. Note the 3x attachment points to the antenna fairing (if you can see it, small image I know)

2A9QWmj.png

View of the top of the recovery compartment.

QnpFalf.png

Block in of the main parachute.

IaPCz7y.png

Closer look at the UHF Descent/Recovery Antenna and the recovery light. The HF whip antenna is just behind the parachute lead.

Tlvtasf.png

Slightly wider view with the parachute and landing bag deployed.

12frJrk.png

Closer look at the retro pack.

91iZZdy.png

And one last overall view, with the Atlas adapter blocked in. Note how it has to wrap up and cover the umbilical connections.

6Mxq1tg.png

3 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

Landing bag confirmed!

So after Mercury, are you planning on... eating a delicious steak?  Filet mignon?  :P

*looks at Kobe Ribeye as he reads this and is eating*  Filet Mignon!!  Why such a second rate steak?? :P

just joking about currently eating a Kobe Ribeye... Actually too sick to eat more than soup today... :/   But I have had a Kobe Ribeye and it was amazing.  

@CobaltWolf   So are the Separation motors (part of the Retro pack) going to be Solids in a solid or are they going to be something like Mono-propellant?

4 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Uh, how do I get the new fairings, and non-procedural fairings in general?

You stick your left foot in, then you stick it out, you stick your left foot in... err wait.   Wrong forum/answer/voice in my head........  *Looks up correct answer*

13 hours ago, Zorg said:

Anyway the CT3 fairing is now up on Github and this one is configurable up to 3 segments.

I hope that answers the question!   1.7 dev build on the Github!

8 hours ago, nasaholic said:

That looks awesome. Will it still be available on 1.7.3?

The BDB plugin has been recompiled against 1.8.1 on the dev branch so things like boiloff, depth mask, and mirror summetry solar panels etc will be broken in 1.7.x, Basicaly the dev branch and the next release will be 1.8+ only.

5 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Uh, how do I get the new fairings, and non-procedural fairings in general?

They require the Simple Adjustable Fairings mod. The basic dll is in the BDB dependency bundle on the github dev branch now (or you can get it separately). There is also a SAF parts pack that uses the old KW Rocketry fairing models that you can grab to fill out the other sizes in the meantime.

Edited by Zorg

14 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

Landing bag confirmed!

So after Mercury, are you planning on... eating a delicious steak?  Filet mignon?  :P

u h I think I'd like to get Hexagon done since I kinda just ghosted on that thing.

10 hours ago, Pappystein said:

@CobaltWolf   So are the Separation motors (part of the Retro pack) going to be Solids in a solid or are they going to be something like Mono-propellant?

The retro motors and posigrade motors will both be separate parts. So the retro pack itself is basically a hollow tub that decouples from the capsule.

Previously in this forum, Jeb and his buds were launched into space on a very interesting rocket. Now it is time to see what was in the big fairing...

(I will be keeping the pics in spoilers for space)

Spoiler

raw

raw

This contraption is designed to take three kerbals to Duna in JNSQ, land two of them on Duna and return them to orbit, and then get them back home. It would do this by using two NERV engines running off of liquid fuel stored in the main core and four droptanks. To keep this mission semi-realistic the mothership has not only an extended Leo capsule but it also includes a three kerbal living space and a one kerbal space lab to process experiments both at Duna and on the journey home. Unfortunately, this mission had a few near catastrophes hit it. But that will come later in the story. First we have to get to Duna.

Spoiler

raw

raw

\raw

It was here our first catastrophe struck. So apparently, if you have the whole Nertea suite of mods, the NERV is modified to require you to run a nuclear reactor while the engine is active. However, I did not anticipate this and therefore did not pack on thermal control parts on the vessel. After forgetting to turn off the reactor when making my departure and capture burns, my NERV engines were fried and dead in the water. Luckily, a little save file editing Jeb's amazing engineering skills fixed the NERVs to allow them to work again. After this, Val and Bob prepared to land on the surface of Duna.

Spoiler

raw

raw

raw

raw

After a toastier descent than expected, Val and Bob were safely on the surface. This lander is a two stage design where the first Spark + 2 Ant stage provided the thrust for landing and take off while the second monoprop stage would finish getting the capsule into orbit. Or at least that was the plan...

raw

(I thought this screenshot was too beautiful to hide a spoiler)

Bob performs the most sacred of Kerbal duties by planting and saluting the flag.

After some more EVA and science ops, it was time to head back to orbit.

Spoiler

raw

raw

raw

raw

Unfortunately, this is where the second (and much worse) catastrophe hit. See, Duna in JNSQ has a lot taller but thinner atmosphere than it does in stock. It also has much more gravity. These two factors combined mean that my lander had to burn considerable fuel just descending safely, which meant there just wasn't enough dV left to get into orbit. After MANY quicksaves and quickloads, I found the one solution that worked: Use the fuel in the lander to get to an AP of around 120km, take Bob out at around 100km, use his EVA pack to raise his orbit to around 140km, switch back to the lander, get Val out and immediately use her pack to achieve orbit at 120km, and then switch back to Bob who was reaching his AP and finish getting him into orbit. After that Jeb was able to use the mothership to pick them up within a day.

After doing so, it was determined that there was enough spare dV to swing by Ike before heading home.

Spoiler

raw

raw

raw

While at Ike Bob had some photos taken for KSP's new advertising campaigns:

Spoiler

raw

raw

raw

Finally, it was time to head home. Being low on fuel due to the Ike detour, our brave Kerbals decided to go for an interplanetary atmospheric reentry.

Spoiler

raw

Finally, it was time to let the beancounters add up how much science we gained:

Spoiler

raw

900 Science was transmitted from the lab, while 1974 Science was taken back.

23 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The retro motors and posigrade motors will both be separate parts. So the retro pack itself is basically a hollow tub that decouples from the capsule.

Cool.   That means I will likely be able to use the Posigrade motors Like I am the old ones...   For Distributing the JSO's satellite constellations

On 3/3/2020 at 9:13 PM, Zorg said:

They require the Simple Adjustable Fairings mod.

your Zorgness, I wanted to check out the new fairing so I downloaded the dev branch last night. The SimpleAdjustableFairings folder (and its contents) are a sibling to the BDB folder. But with the BDB build and the fairings mod in place, I don't see any new fairing anywhere. The 2.6m 3E fairing in my game is still the old style. Any idea what I might have missed? This is a 1.8.1 install where I already had a BDB dev build, so I just deleted that folder, unzipped the latest and then added the fairings folder. I do have the newer ATV models, so I'm sure I got the dev branch.

I have another (working) install that uses the same version of SimpleAdjustableFairings for the KW-specific fairings, no problems there.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers
dumb typos

5 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

your Zorgness, I wanted to check out the new fairing so I downloaded the dev branch last night. The SimpleAdjustableFairings folder (and its contents) are a sibling to the BDB folder. But with the BDB build and the fairings mod in place, I don't see any new fairing anywhere. The 2.6m 3E fairing in my game is still the old style. Any idea what I might have missed? This is a 1.8.1 install where I already had a BDB dev build, so I just deleted that folder, unzipped the latest and then added the fairings folder. I do have the newer ATV models, so I'm sure I got the dev branch.

I have another (working) install that uses the same version of SimpleAdjustableFairings for the KW-specific fairings, no problems there.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Um if you have the latest version of the BDB 1.7 dev branch and Simple Adjustable Fairings installed there shouldnt be an issue. Do note that the part icon for the new fairings look quite different as the sides also show up. It's possible you just missed it , try searching for 3E or CT3 and they should show up.

Editl: there was also an issue with the 3E fairing due to a name change that I thought I fixed but should actually be fixed now.

Edited by Zorg

4 hours ago, Zorg said:

Editl: there was also an issue with the 3E fairing due to a name change that I thought I fixed but should actually be fixed now.

Cool! Yeah, this changed stuff, though I'm not 100% sure if it's the way you want it or not. Here's what I see. (btw, the fairing looks awesome!!) The "IIIE" part on the rocket is unresponsive to any clicks. There's another copy of that part (without SAF in the name) that works fine as the normal style fairing.

hDQj5pj.png

3 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Cool! Yeah, this changed stuff, though I'm not 100% sure if it's the way you want it or not. Here's what I see. (btw, the fairing looks awesome!!) The "IIIE" part on the rocket is unresponsive to any clicks. There's another copy of that part (without SAF in the name) that works fine as the normal style fairing.

Third time's the charm? I cleaned up my working files with a fresh github copy and spotted one more small error. Should be ok now, he said for the last time.