[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

4 hours ago, Echo11 said:

Are you using Github version of BDB in color?

I have the same issue, and it started after I updated to that version, and there's someone with the same issue on that thread as well.

I'm using the spacedock version of BDB in color....guess I'll have to check some cfgs out hehe

I must have borked something on my end. My Apollo CM parachutes cross over each other instead of pulling outward. Net result is the chutes overlap visually. They function fine so it's just an appearance thing.

On 5/24/2020 at 2:40 AM, flamerboy67664 said:

I'm using the spacedock version of BDB in color....guess I'll have to check some cfgs out hehe

I've run into that parachute bug as well - but looking into the files I couldn't really spot anything that would change the parachute's ability to function. It's an odd one indeed.

Edit: Looking at the chute ingame, both of the effective diameters read out as 0. Something's definitely borked, but the BDB config for it looks fine, so it must be BDB in colours messing with it in some unfathomable manner.

Edited by GJdude

I know this is 'just' another bog standard Mercury-Redstone, but it's so amazing how 3 different mods come together to create an amazing image of the past! This is where BDB gets joined by Tundra Space Center and Modular Launch Pads:

ttbxhA2.jpgSqyUFnI.jpgnpTb6Sd.jpg

Obligatory pics from the rest of the actual mission:

uhOH0TT.png1AK07gh.jpgntHqvsm.jpg

Yeah, things have changed around here since 2015. :) Speaking of which, @CobaltWolf, how are the plans looking after the revelation that we have another year, at least, before KSP2 hits? Plenty of time for a Saturn revamp, if nothing else. :)

5 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

Yeah, things have changed around here since 2015. :) Speaking of which, @CobaltWolf, how are the plans looking after the revelation that we have another year, at least, before KSP2 hits? Plenty of time for a Saturn revamp, if nothing else. :)

Honestly they haven't really changed - I need to finish Gemini and Centaur and a bunch of small things for this update, and then move on to Saturn/Apollo. :)

Hello,

first i want to thank you for this brilliant mod, it combines so many things that i have searched for a long time before finding this: Good made versions of the american manned launch systems that actually flew, some of the parts that would have been the Apollo Applications Program AND some conceptual Launchers PLUS some Eyes turned Skywards Vehicles. After finding this mod around a year ago it didn´t took long to the actual situation: 95% of my Launchers are completely BDB, the rest is BDB for the most part and my Stations and Ships are at 80-90% BDB and Universal Storage.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Honestly they haven't really changed - I need to finish Gemini and Centaur and a bunch of small things for this update, and then move on to Saturn/Apollo. :)

I am looking forward to your plans for the Saturn / Apollo revamp but before this comes out of you hands we will have enough time to check out what you are building now (i am not using the Dev-build because a have a safegame running that i don´t whant to be compromised by changing mods)

And i have 2 Questions:  1. Are you planing to design modules for the other American ETS-Stations, namely its version of "Freedom" and/or the follow-on "Discovery" and 2nd: I have just read the Stephen Baxter novel "Voyage" and i think that there wouldn´t be much missing parts for a Ares-Like Duna/ Mars-mission Complex. We  have the modernised F-1A, the J-2S, it´s possible to put some strong SRB´s on the S-V first stage. For the Crewed area of the ship you can use Skylab-parts, we have an Apollo that is just like the one that they use ( in the Block III- Block V version ( no Mission Module). What would still be needed: A Mars Excursion Module (basicaly an enlarged Apollo CSM with a build in Ascent Stage, Descent Engine and 6 legs) and an Adapter for mounting the MEM on the S-VB´s MS-IVB at launch and an insulatet External Tank design based on an MS-II Tank to bring enough fuel to the J-2S for getting into a transfer orbit.

I think i will now write more often into this discussion, now that i have reactivatet this old account. And again: Thank you for dedicating so much time to this project.

Edited by JoeSheridan

16 minutes ago, JoeSheridan said:

And i have 2 Questions: 

1. Are you planing to design modules for the other American ETS-Stations, namely its version of "Freedom" and/or the follow-on "Discovery" and

2nd: I have just read the Stephen Baxter novel "Voyage" and i think that there wouldn´t be much missing parts for a Ares-Like Duna/ Mars-mission Complex. We  have the modernised F-1A, the J-2S, it´s possible to put some strong SRB´s on the S-V first stage. For the Crewed area of the ship you can use Skylab-parts, we have an Apollo that is just like the one that they use ( in the Block III- Block V version ( no Mission Module). What would still be needed: A Mars Excursion Module (basicaly an enlarged Apollo CSM with a build in Ascent Stage, Descent Engine and 6 legs) and an Adapter for mounting the MEM on the S-VB´s MS-IVB at launch and an insulatet External Tank design based on an MS-II Tank to bring enough fuel to the J-2S for getting into a transfer orbit.

1) No, I wouldn't make Freedom or Discovery. They are a bit too modern for my tastes, and would fit a lot better in an ISS mod, since that's what the modules are based on (out of universe, obviously). I did the Spacelab since it was directly derived from Skylab. In terms of what I'd like to see for Apollo-era stations, my general goal would be "expandable Skylab" so more modules that could be combined with it to extend it or used in free flight, etc... there's a lot of proposals and art I have laying around.

2) If I remember, the SRBs were meant to be UA1207s from the Titan program. I don't have a ton of interest in doing the MEM since its a lot more work than it might seem at first glance (plus, as I understand it, the real life MEM design that Voyage's was based on needed some fairly exotic fuels to get the performance needed). I definitely have some stuff I've been thinking about for a long time - some specialized docking ports for attaching the tanks to each other, for instance.

To be clear, once I get to Saturn/Apollo/Skylab, the priority will be the same as Gemini now: Getting back to what we have now. New stuff will have to wait until later, though hopefully once I get there I'll finally be at the long-dreamed-of point where I can just relax and make crazy post-Apollo designs and proposals since all the historical stuff will be done :)

47 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

No, I wouldn't make Freedom or Discovery. They are a bit too modern for my tastes, and would fit a lot better in an ISS mod

Okay, that makes sense. I just thought that it could still fit, because you made the Multibody which was from the same timeframe.

If I remember, the SRBs were meant to be UA1207s from the Titan program

Yes you are just right, that would be the 1207´s like in 2 or 3 other concepts for an Saturn V-Upgrade

I definitely have some stuff I've been thinking about for a long time - some specialized docking ports for attaching the tanks to each other, for instance.

Okay, i am highly interested in what you have planed, this idea with the special docking ports alone would solve a lot of my mission-design problems ( i use Kerbalism, so my ships have a lot of mass and volume.... so there comes fast a big problem with the fueltanks). I hope you can make them and the first thing i will do after they came in is to take some MS-II Tanks and make them into External Tanks for a Duna mission :D

New stuff will have to wait until later, though hopefully once I get there I'll finally be at the long-dreamed-of point where I can just relax and make crazy post-Apollo designs and proposals since all the historical stuff will be done :)

Okay, i think you have enough to do for the next decade or so before you get out of new ideas. I hope i can see your work on this things in the future. The whole early space-age and pre Space-Shuttle is more fascinating than the things they have done in RL with the shuttle. The shuttle was a brilliant system with a lot of flaws.... it wasn´t a scientific platform that brought us forward in a way that Apollo and the AAP did or could have done. For me it´s a shame that the Saturn family was brought toward the graveyard after such a short time. It should have been developed further instead of beeing killed..... and with it all manned missions behind low Earth Orbit.

Edited by JoeSheridan

1 hour ago, JoeSheridan said:

Okay, that makes sense. I just thought that it could still fit, because you made the Multibody which was from the same timeframe.

Just wanted to respond to this - the difference is Multibody only needed a couple of new parts, while doing Freedom or Discovery for example would need basically everything to get made from scratch :)

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Just wanted to respond to this - the difference is Multibody only needed a couple of new parts, while doing Freedom or Discovery for example would need basically everything to get made from scratch :)

You are right, thank you for the answer :)

33 minutes ago, Machinique said:

I think stockalike station parts and Habtech 2 would give you everything you need for those stations (except the full size inflatable hab on Discovery).

I think you are right... so let´s kitbash the modules just to stick them on M43´s and H03´s :D

@JoeSheridan the past few days I have been working on crafts for a von Braun style Mars/Duna expedition. I did have to make a few custom CFGs to get the design looking/functioning right (5m heatshield, stretched insterstages, Kane drogue chutes, etc.) and so far it looks like it will work out for a x2.5/JNSQ system. The MEM ascent stage took a few design iterations to hit the Delta-V requirements, but there is no cheaty part clipping and it doesnt look half bad.

Not sure yet if I can make a Mars Surface Sample Return probe that is small enough to fit in a x6 radial symmetry inside the 5.625m fairing, but the Venus/Eve fly-by probes shouldn't be an issue.

Spoiler

oEjRUoB.jpg

cb8dETB.jpg

V3jk2fz.png

1 hour ago, cxg2827 said:

the past few days I have been working on crafts for a von Braun style Mars/Duna expedition.

Thats actually looking pretty good, verry nice design. Verry nice MEM and well mad Earth Departure Stage, good work to dock that tanks correctly :)

Good luck for the test mission

Hey everyone, I am looking to move some of the part upgrades for the Agena Engine as an example to some different tech nodes through my own config.  However it seems like no matter what I do I cant get the upgrade to change to a different node.  Does anyone know what a config to change that would look like aside from directly changing the Upgrade.cfg in the various part folders in BDB?

19 minutes ago, Redleg1 said:

Hey everyone, I am looking to move some of the part upgrades for the Agena Engine as an example to some different tech nodes through my own config.  However it seems like no matter what I do I cant get the upgrade to change to a different node.  Does anyone know what a config to change that would look like aside from directly changing the Upgrade.cfg in the various part folders in BDB?

I believe you have to change both that and the modules within the engine config itself :)