[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Atlas 5/Fat Centaur/rover w/sky crane/JNSQ ... Finally had a good reason to build the Atlas 5. Super low TWR on the Centaur, but lots of gas. This design lights the Centaur 3 times ... idk how many ignitions this should have, and I could get it down to 2 easily enough. Anyway, there are several mod makers' work pictured below ... big thanks to all of them! 

Spoiler

q9QWcfV.png

50 minutes ago, MashAndBangers said:

1.10.1 is out, so you know what that means?  Wait for 1.10.2.

Yeah, I'm holding off applying the patch after the 1.10.0 debacle, a.k.a "Fairings? We don't need no steenking fairings!"

6 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Atlas 5/Fat Centaur/rover w/sky crane/JNSQ ... Finally had a good reason to build the Atlas 5. Super low TWR on the Centaur, but lots of gas. This design lights the Centaur 3 times ... idk how many ignitions this should have, and I could get it down to 2 easily enough. Anyway, there are several mod makers' work pictured below ... big thanks to all of them! 

Hide contents

q9QWcfV.png

I have some bad news for you...

CONFIG
        {
            name = Muo-V-DR180 "Czar"
            description = Imported directly from Krussia, the "Czar" employs two thrusters instead of one, giving it more power and control. When smaller rockets see it, they do a 180 and walk away.
            maxThrust = #$/MODULE[ModuleEnginesRF]/maxThrust$
            massMult = 1
            ignitions = 1
            ullage = True
            PROPELLANT
            {
                name = Kerosene
                ratio = 1.3914
                DrawGauge = True
            }
            PROPELLANT
            {
                name = LqdOxygen
                ratio = 2.25
            }

There is literally only one part that's "broken" when it comes to RF (the most flexible) at least and that's the Thor/Delta tank extensions. No need to rip out a feature that helps BDB conserve on part count. 

EDIT: In your case it'd be better to just add your fuel type to B9 tank configs and then patch that config into BDB parts.

B9_TANK_TYPE
{
	name = sstoLPG
	title = 
	tankMass =
	tankCost =

RESOURCE
	{
		name = LPG
		unitsPerVolume =
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = LqdOxygen
		unitsPerVolume = 
	}
}

@PART[bluedog*,Bluedog*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#moduleID[fuelSwitch]]]:NEEDS[SSTO-Project,B9PartSwitch,Bluedog_DB]:AFTER[Bluedog_DB_1]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#moduleID[fuelSwitch]]
	{
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = LPG
			tankType = sstoLPG
			addedMass = #$../../tank_mass$
			@addedMass *= -1
			addedCost = #$../../tank_plus_fuel_cost$
			@addedCost *= -1
			percentFilled = #$../../fuelPctFill$
		}
	}
}

And suddenly your mod is the one that is compatible, not B9 or BDB being incompatible. If you have a resource only defined in your mod you can't expect other mods to rip out core features so it's compatible with your mod.

Edited by Bellabong

13 hours ago, Bellabong said:

I have some bad news for you...

Hide contents

CONFIG
        {
            name = Muo-V-DR180 "Czar"
            description = Imported directly from Krussia, the "Czar" employs two thrusters instead of one, giving it more power and control. When smaller rockets see it, they do a 180 and walk away.
            maxThrust = #$/MODULE[ModuleEnginesRF]/maxThrust$
            massMult = 1
            ignitions = 1
            ullage = True
            PROPELLANT
            {
                name = Kerosene
                ratio = 1.3914
                DrawGauge = True
            }
            PROPELLANT
            {
                name = LqdOxygen
                ratio = 2.25
            }

13 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Dang it! Useless pile of hydrogen! Fine, this takes some rethinking ... or strategic ignoring.

You both might want to look at that engine config again and realize that it's the RD-180 engine, not the RL-10C used on the Centaur. The RL-10C on the Atlas V-Centaur either used 2 or 3 ignitions depending on its mission and flight profile. TDRS-M used 2 ignitions and AFSPC-11 used 3 for example.

https://spaceflight101.com/atlas-v-tdrs-m/flight-profile/

https://spaceflight101.com/afspc-11/launch-profile/

1 hour ago, draqsko said:

You both might want to look at that engine config again and realize that it's the RD-180 engine, not the RL-10C used on the Centaur. The RL-10C on the Atlas V-Centaur either used 2 or 3 ignitions depending on its mission and flight profile. TDRS-M used 2 ignitions and AFSPC-11 used 3 for example.

Yeah I started thinking about this last night and knew there had to be something wrong somewhere. Went and watched the Perseverance flight plan again to make sure! They use the Centaur to circularize, then for the Mars injection several minutes later. I was using the Centaur again for mcc, but I just need to move that ability to a small coast stage.

Yeah the RL10 was capable of multiple ignitions from very early in its life. The most ignitions in an actual mission I could find a source for was 7 ignitions on the second Helios mission (Titan III-E with Centaur D1T).

https://www.asme.org/wwwasmeorg/media/resourcefiles/aboutasme/who we are/engineering history/landmarks/36-rl-10-rocket-engine.pdf

I vaguely recall Tory Bruno stating how many burns they can do these days on a customer request in some video but I can't recall exactly which video. Realism Overhaul has 10 ignitions for most variants and 15 for the more recent ones. I like to have primary sources but RO configs are usually well researched. We will be updating the engine ignitor mod compatibility for the new RL10s.

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Yeah I started thinking about this last night and knew there had to be something wrong somewhere. Went and watched the Perseverance flight plan again to make sure! They use the Centaur to circularize, then for the Mars injection several minutes later. I was using the Centaur again for mcc, but I just need to move that ability to a small coast stage.

Assuming they'll follow a similar flight plan as with Curiosity, yeah, the MCC was done on a small coast stage as payload separation was only 40 something minutes after launch. It was a kick to a 100 km x 200 km parking orbit for the first burn and then Mars injection on the second burn followed by payload separation soon afterwards.

15 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

W9veFrU.png
fATl2Ra.png
QyAjc1R.png
yrk5sAm.png
1D705TO.png

New white painted variant of the DCSS coming soon to the dev branch (a historically accurate variant used on Delta IV Medium) as seen here:
euYOWH9.jpg 

Where'd you get that AWESOME core stage?

1 minute ago, davidy12 said:

Where'd you get that AWESOME core stage?

Everything except the main engine (which is a rescaled CryoEngines part) is BDB :) 

The orange tanks are Titan LDC parts in the SOFI variant.

Edited by Zorg

22 minutes ago, bjornadri said:

is there any chance of seeing the Saturn C-8 Nova direct ascent moon rocket in this mod one day? that would be such a cool rocket to fly!

At best that'll come when Cobalt is done with the Apollo Revamp (CSM, LM, Saturn I/IB, Saturn V). He already did work on the engines, but the other aforementioned things need work. Plus, he's still revamping the Delta, Gemini, and Titan parts.