[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

50 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Hey i installed the dev version to get the Ranger probe parts but there not showing up ingame, they are in a file called "ProbeExpansion" which is located in the parts file could i get some help?

Then there is something wrong with your installation. The parts are there.
But without further informations (Log, KSP-Version...) we can`t help you.

16 hours ago, GoldForest said:

F-1B? Kool. But, I'm a little confused as to why.

He did it because it was a direct derivative of an existing engine and it was easy to add in using the existing powerhead. It doesnt have to match a specific IRL rocket that belongs in BDB much the same way the 8096C agena engine (meant for resuable Shuttle agena) doesnt imply there will be a BDB shuttle.

Most importantly its a very cool looking engine.

For similar reasons I am making the white nozzle RS68B which was planned for Ares V but you can be sure there will not be a BDB Ares V :P.

15 hours ago, flamerboy67664 said:

oh, btw @Zorg, any chance we'll get a generic looking 5.625m/3.75m SAF fairings for Saturn?

Not until the Saturn revamp begins.

25 minutes ago, Zorg said:

white nozzle RS68B which was planned for Ares V

It can be also used for proposed Heavy upgrades:

euGkc1Q.jpg

CE Hecate can be used as a substitute of RL-60 (it's 55 kN, so BDB's balance of 25% upper stage engines would be preserved). Not sure what to use for RL-800 and RL-45, though. Also not sure if the latter was ever proposed by anyone.

By the way, what is butt diameter of 5m DCSS? If it's 1.875, please consider making it a separate part, so we can use Centaur butt (or any 1.875m mounting plate) for double engine configs.

4 hours ago, Zorg said:

He did it because it was a direct derivative of an existing engine and it was easy to add in using the existing powerhead. It doesnt have to match a specific IRL rocket that belongs in BDB much the same way the 8096C agena engine (meant for resuable Shuttle agena) doesnt imply there will be a BDB shuttle.

Most importantly its a very cool looking engine.

For similar reasons I am making the white nozzle RS68B which was planned for Ares V but you can be sure there will not be a BDB Ares V :P.

Hmmm... why do I get the feeling you guys are pulling are leg and have something big planned for 1.9 and are just nickel and diming parts in to get things ready for whatever you guys are planning... 

ueZ1Ym.png

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

He did it because it was a direct derivative of an existing engine and it was easy to add in using the existing powerhead. It doesnt have to match a specific IRL rocket that belongs in BDB much the same way the 8096C agena engine (meant for resuable Shuttle agena)

I'm sorry- reusable Shuttle-Agena? I see the paper (https://core.ac.uk/reader/80647720), but it includes no reference as far as I can tell for any reuse of the stage. Are you referring to maybe re-attachment of the Agena to shuttle after it boosts a payload, or some sort of heatshield for the main engine? If this is real, I'd love a source. The mid-70s shuttle stuff is very cool, a nice glimpse into an alternate timeline with decent NASA budgets and less cut corners pertaining to crew safety.

doesnt imply there will be a BDB shuttle.

[Emphasis mine]

Not straight out denying it seems like a pretty good sign that something is in the works. I would imagine it wouldn't be just a shuttle clone, since we have SOCK for that, but...

EDIT: noticed I misread it, but as @GoldForest said, the massive scope of this update seems a bit strange.

Spoiler

1200px-Saturn-Shuttle_model_at_Udvar-Haz

concept_ferry_rocket_v2.jpgSpace_Shuttle_concepts.jpg

...maybe???

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Hmmm... why do I get the feeling you guys are pulling are leg and have something big planned for 1.9 and are just nickel and diming parts in to get things ready for whatever you guys are planning... 

ueZ1Ym.png

Yeah, we're on to them. Or maybe @Zorg just got bored of cruelly denying us of Delta 4.

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

2 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

EDIT: noticed I misread it, but as @GoldForest said, the massive scope of this update seems a bit strange.

The huge size of this update is just the way things turned out due to various internal factors but there wont be any additional scope creep beyond whats currently on the github tracking issues. The F1B in particular was a very spontaneous thing following a suggestion from Pappystein on Cobalts stream. In fact the only real big addition to the update was Delta IV but you guys want that right???

I'm sorry- reusable Shuttle-Agena? I see the paper (https://core.ac.uk/reader/80647720), but it includes no reference as far as I can tell for any reuse of the stage. Are you referring to maybe re-attachment of the Agena to shuttle after it boosts a payload, or some sort of heatshield for the main engine? If this is real, I'd love a source. The mid-70s shuttle stuff is very cool, a nice glimpse into an alternate timeline with decent NASA budgets and less cut corners pertaining to crew safety.

I dont remember whats up with the naming conventions since the BDB one is called 8096C and this one refers to L, but this is the paper. The shuttle recovers the Agena after it returns to the shuttle parking orbit following payload deployment to a higher orbit. The strapon tanks are expected to be recovered but can be optionally jettisoned if the mission needs more performance. https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19740024172

Not straight out denying it seems like a pretty good sign that something is in the works.

I am straight out denying it! No one on the team has even so much suggested a shuttle or a spaceplane of any sort for BDB!!

9 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I am straight out denying it! No one on the team has even so much suggested a shuttle or a spaceplane of any sort for BDB!!

IIRC @CobaltWolf has said the only shuttle they would even consider adding would be the Dynasaur, but @Well created one and so I think the idea died off.