[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Just now, awsumindyman said:

So, now that AJ260 is done, what's next?

It's not remotely done, needs a couple more evenings. :) Especially since there are 3 more variants that need to be made (granted, they are mostly textured already. Balancing will be the hard part). I'm working with Jso and some others to correct the bugs and balance issues in the last release, the AJ-260s will be included in the upcoming hotfix to keep things spicy. After that... I'm not sure. LDC Titan is definitely on deck, because I promised someone back in March I'd get to it, as is the E-1. I'd like to get the Gemini lander and Big G finished in the next update, as well as finish revamping MOL, Delta II, and Juno as those are the most glaring things that still need a revamp. I would like to spend a good chunk of time updating the Saturn and Titan engines but they likely need nearly full revamps and I'm not sure if that's a wise time investment right now. They definitely aren't aging well - I'm the first to admit the Making History engines, at least model-wise, are far superior. :)

1 minute ago, davidy12 said:

S-ID?

There's a chance S-1D could make it into the next update (btw, next update means major update not this hotfix), but no promises. It will really come down to whatever I feel inspiration to work on. Saturn is definitely overdue for further expansion though. The nice thing is that there are a lot of individual (or nearly individual, like S-1D which requires two parts) parts that can represent pretty significant / iconic additions. Those always feel really cool to get done since most people know them, if only from discussing them here on the BDB thread. Similar with E-1, M-1 etc... Though, as I believe @awsumindyman said, the next update really should just be all the unfinished stuff on my HDD. :)

30 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I used Sigma Dimensions, I can't remember the specifics past it being 2.5x. I feel I recall needing some extra compatibility files, I think for graphics mods. Can't remember - it was the better part of 4 months ago now.

I will add one small tidbit here.  When I had Sigma 2.5 installed (mind you almost a year ago now.) I had issues with Delta II rockets getting satellites into orbit in my Career (this was mid career and not all upgrades were unlocked for the Delta II parts.)   Now I know I was launching SLIGHTLY bigger (mass + size) satellites than the stock Delta II was designed for but you may want to convert all your Delta Launches to HEAVY if you fly them like they do RW (6 SRBs ignite on ground, 3 at burn out ALL ejected at the same time.) 

1 hour ago, Kerbal01 said:

Yo mr Wolfy, I launched a Titan I to the north pole, it made it into a highly eccentric decaying orbit and didn't come down for a week.  Can't decide if successful FOBS or ICBM failure.

If it hit the intended target, FOBS. If not, failure. Simple. :wink:

1 minute ago, MaverickSawyer said:

If it hit the intended target, FOBS. If not, failure. Simple. :wink:

Ahh yes the KISS principle at it's finest.   Keep it Simple and Silly....  If it is Silly someone might remember it! :)   No self fulfilling prophecies of self reduced intelligence need apply

On 1/19/2018 at 4:33 PM, Kdc86 said:

This is beyond awesome!!! How much bribing and begging will need to take place to convince you to also do the CM IVA :)  

Not certain exactly what it would take, but maybe just some luck and I will do it, lol

1 hour ago, slaintemaith said:

I know you've been bombarded lately it seems, but where/how does one scale up SSRSS?  

SSRSS has a config file for Sigma Dimensions (which is required for SSRSS anyway)

Replace the first lines of the config with this should resize the system

@SigmaDimensions
{
	// Base Settings

@Resize = 2.5
	@Rescale = 2.5
	@Atmosphere = 1.1
	@dayLengthMultiplier = 1.25

// Advanced Settings

@landscape = 0.76

Hrm.  Although it -did- scale it up, (and thanks for the config to get it to the proper size) I don't think something's quite right with that...  Am I missing some other stuff?
(Also sorry for jacking this thread off topic)

r8pteLt.jpg

Edited by slaintemaith

5 minutes ago, slaintemaith said:

Hrm.  Although it -did- scale it up, (and thanks for the config to get it to the proper size) I don't think something's quite right with that...  Am I missing some other stuff?
(Also sorry for jacking this thread off topic)

No worries! Honestly once this is all ironed out, could you compile everything into a post with links that I can bookmark for the next time someone needs help with this particular configuration? Seeing as, from my POV, it's the 'official' one for BDB.

You betcha!  I -suspect- the above graphical issue has to do with default location of Kerbal Space Center, and not Kennedy Space Center.
i.e., I think the position is wrong.

..."Switcher" doesn't seem to work anymore...

Edited by slaintemaith

21 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

quick question: I hear this is balanced for 2.5x stock - does that include fuel container capacity? Or do the fuel parts match the proper volume for their size?

BDB works fine in 2x scale so 2.5x should be okay too :)

3 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

So I did some testing with TU configs by @Electrocutor and while they still aren't quite finished the results were amazing...

XicQSwx.png

The gemini look is just fabulous

8 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I'm on 1x scale

It's a lot of little things that add up to make it work well at 2.5x. Lighter capsules, larger rockets, higher Isp engines (particularly for upper stages and SRBs) and a fantastic selection of small probe cores all contribute.

43 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

quick question: I hear this is balanced for 2.5x stock - does that include fuel container capacity? Or do the fuel parts match the proper volume for their size?

21 minutes ago, DiscoSlelge said:

BDB works fine in 2x scale so 2.5x should be okay too :)

15 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I'm on 1x scale

4 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

It's a lot of little things that add up to make it work well at 2.5x. Lighter capsules, larger rockets, higher Isp engines (particularly for upper stages and SRBs) and a fantastic selection of small probe cores all contribute.

The BDB parts are balanced to be in line with the stock parts, however, because the stock parts are not properly scaled to the stock system, the stock parts are themselves overpowered, as well as any mod parts that hold to their balance. Normally you accept this and move on. However, when you scale real life launch vehicles down to kerbal part scale, they wind up significantly outperforming their IRL counterparts. Nothing I can really do about that other than making the BDB parts vastly inferior to other parts in the game, OR recommending people use a rescale mod.

2 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

Eeeesh.  I've given up getting a good looking RSS 2.5x that can also fly this and the Cormorant Aeronology's Shuttle.  I can't seem to manage it.  Been working at it all day.

You're gonna need to use the 2.5x scale patch that Pak has on his GitHub, and you won't be able to use the stock craft unfortunately. As for a good looking 2.5x, try SSRSS using the config that Tyko has written. It's quite good.