[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

5 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

Delta K on Delta IV is probably cursed

It was a thing at one point in the project:
launch1.png

Never realized, but it was very much a possibility.

It looks a bit funny, but there's nothing wrong with the concept itself, other than it being rather useless given how expensive the CBC was IRL.

The really silly configuration would be replacing Delta K with Delta P, and a Straight Eight fairing to match. :) 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Dragon01 said:

Dang, this looks good. Don't forget adapters for the 4m DCSS and for the Delta K. :) 

Yup thats all planned. 4m DCSS already has a 3.125m to 2.5m adapter, a longer one will probably come at a future date together with a stretch of the 4m DCSS to Delta IV size, probably in a post 1.7.0 minor release. The Delta K adapter I might do before the 1.7 release if I get time.

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/940

45 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

@Zorg out of curiosity, you still on 1.8.1 or have you gotten JNSQ to work on 1.10.1?

1.8.1 for my JNSQ install, bare bones stock on 1.10.1 for most testing right now.

5 hours ago, Zorg said:

Delta IV alpha build is up on the github. Theres still some polish to be done and balance isnt final yet. Some parts and features like switcheable tank lengths will come later. But in the meantime please test and enjoy :)

Please highlight any problems on on the github issue:

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/940

Oh do note that although DCSS ended up monolithic like the smaller one, we do have a dual engine mount as per the potential option in the payload planners guide that no one ever paid for to make IRL. It can take 2 RL-10B2s while still fitting in a 3.125m interstage. 

Amazing! Quick question though: I noticed there are attachment nodes on the side of the core, what's the best way to get the two common core boosters to attach? 

yLYn1LN.png

Just now, NateDaBeast said:

Amazing! Quick question though: I noticed there are attachment nodes on the side of the core, what's the best way to get the two common core boosters to attach?

Best way would be to place the decoupler on the first stage upper tank (it should be higher up right up to the very top edge. Then use the side nodes to attach the two upper tanks for the side cores one by one out of symmetry. Then build out the rest of the boosters.

34 minutes ago, NateDaBeast said:

I put the decouplers on, enabled nodes on the upper tank and did them one at a time. I can adjust the decouplers just perfectly.

As RS-68 was originated from STME (Well, they are not the same thing but came from the very same cencept and STME spec is nearly identical to RS-68 Regen but bit smaller, weaker, and much lighter) this have to be done. Surprisingly. it is much easier to fly than all other shuttle proporsal I tried. Payload about 17t to LKO, a little bit  more than SRB, might be able to put 20t if add more fuel for OMS. As I tested It can put 20t but it will have no fuel left for deorbit. Lift off TWR 1.53 at max payload is quite good for all LH2 system. For 3-SSME C varaint It can get 26t to LKO.

Actually the proposal use 4 STME for each booster but I think it is burn too fast and the mount don't have enough space so I reduced to half also, RS-68 weight twice STME put 8 of them simply maky dry mass heavier to the point that dV were cut down significantly.

There is no information on its weight but I suggest to make RS-68 regen lighter than alabative variant in future update. I think regen nozzle should be lighter than thick ablative nozzle

Unfortunately, 5m dcss is too big for shuttle C so I can't do Shuttle-Orion proposal

@Zorg @CobaltWolf Can we have more variant for LDC engine mount? I think current x2 is too small to accommmodate a larger engine. From the diameter I think it might be able to handle 2 size 1.5 engines if the base flared out the same diameter as x3 mount

6R1NFIQ.jpg

Edited by derega16

3 hours ago, davidy12 said:

I really cannot wait till JNSQ/Kopernicus as a whole gets updated to 1.10.X.

It just feels so weird orbiting above Kerbin and getting to Orbit with just an S-IC/a puff of S-II.

2 hours ago, Doggydog said:

JNSQ does work in 1.10 with the bleeding edge dev branch of kepernicus. Or atleast its working well enough for me.

Can confirm this is the case.

Start with a clean install and add KOP & JNSQ, then go from there.

Only issues are comets and Jool shaders. However, if you are just starting a new career those shouldn't be issues to be worried about.

R-T-B:

The stability is near identical to 1.9.1 CKAN release.  The only issues in the 1.10.1 branch is that comet support is not currently controllable (other than on/off), nor are Joolain shaders (we just shut them off on all bodies but Jool).

I'd have released it as as stable by now if I had time to deal with those things, lol.

Just now, Clamp-o-Tron said:

@biohazard15 I see your double delta P and raise you delta 4 heavy with an entire delta 2 as an upper stage:

screenshot1.png

Redonkulous.

I present, the Delta IV Small. It strangely has less than 1.0 TWR, so had to let the engine run a little bit before releasing the clamps.

21hYVtg.jpg

qQi9oLJ.jpg

tZDfwpP.jpg

And, a Delta IV shuttle, because I wanted to make it.

It had to tilt a lot due to the thrust difference.

cs1qnoX.jpg

l2tZH8S.jpg

I got to orbital height right before the Deltas ran out of fuel, so... I ditched the EFT as well.
6vRaPUI.jpg

DG2ygqa.jpg

Made it into orbit, but not a circular one. Had to stop the circulization because I'm almost out of OME fuel... 

ak0qTIz.jpg

And Orion test mission just cause.
4bXkReU.jpg

You can JUST Make out the boosters.
Qgn5UJx.jpg

gGtyvgC.jpg

O3ROdnH.jpg

ug5qNZ9.jpg

Edited by GoldForest

I'd like to present you Tory's daydream A.K.A. Sen.Shelby's second worst nightmare

AMZw0NA.jpganxxngX.jpgOYcoHsK.jpg

Yes, its Orion put directly on ACES as its service module ultimately solve the wimpy SM problem in one go. Which if it was select it will made SLS even more pointless than it already is.

Edited by derega16