[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

35 minutes ago, Mister_Pig said:

I'm in love with this wonderful mod, congrats.

But I'm also really lost with these fictional parts names. Could someone please say their real-life counterparts? (sorry for my bad english ;P)

I'm glad you like it! 

I uh... I'm gonna go ahead and throw @Sgt.Shutesie under the bus and say he's the guy that deals with this kind of things, as I'm a little busy. :P

@CobaltWolf Shutes is our new PR guy. 

1 hour ago, Mister_Pig said:

But I'm also really lost with these fictional parts names. Could someone please say their real-life counterparts? (sorry for my bad english ;P)

Launch vehicles:
Daleth: Delta
Muo - Atlas
Promtheus - Titan
Inon - Centaur
Brun - Able & Vanguard
PGM - Redstone
SSR - Thor
RMA - Agena
Rosuette - Diamant

Unmanned spacecraft and parts:
Sienno - Explorer 1
HLR-XPL-7 - Explorer 7
HLR-PVE - Venera
HLR-ZOID - Ranger solar panel
HLR-HEKS - Ranger core
HLR - Pioneer

Manned spacrcraft:
Hermes - Mercury
Mk1-1/2 "Karrot" - Gemini

Edited by fs10inator

3 minutes ago, Mister_Pig said:

Are you guys planning to do Soviet rockets/parts too?

At the most I think it's just Soviet probes, since Beale has Tantares, the Russian side of the stock alike history is covered.

Edited by Sgt.Shutesie

@VenomousRequiem huh, I guess I'm just use to pre reboot EVE. Thanks!

19 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Typically I have been splitting tankage so that it can be stacked. For example, the Titan 2 first stage is split into a long and medium segment, and the second stage is a medium-short and a short segment. That is likely what I'd do for Barbarian. For Saturn, my goal would be not to split the parts up but to make parts for every proposed Saturn variant ever. All of them. So hopefully there would be a good variety for those size tanks. Though more realistically, I will lose interest in the family before I run out of designs. Especially the more extreme end of the scale...

I've been putting off doing larger rockets because generally they don't have the same appeal for me. I've never been one to go straight for the biggest / most powerful thing in any game. I tend to try and see how far I can stretch and optimize limited resources. Which is strangely at odds with the fact that I can never, ever, ever have a big enough bin of parts to choose from. With that said,the more I research Saturn (as has been slowly increasing in recent weeks) the more I'm starting to see the appeal. It's still a long way off though - minimum of three or four months. 

Re: Texturing, it's not that hard. I made a post over in the megathread a while back, and if you're seriously interesting I can send PSD files of some of my textures. Personally texturing is always a relaxing process for me because it means that the UV unwrapping is mostly done.

Thanks for such an in depth response! I'm glad you're going for completeness in the Saturn range, but I definitely agree not all of them are as interesting, certainly wouldn't miss some of those all-solid first stages.

I do the same thing you do; the more variety the better, and I always see how far I can push the parts I have, although I do that regardless of size smaller craft can be much more fun. The reason I'm glad Saturn is somewhere in the future is that eventually BDB might become a more stockalike and less outdated KW replacement. I've been trying but I can't quite do it myself yet, and I hate having to use the stock tanks/engines. 

Definitely interested in learning proper texturing techniques, I did read some of those guides that were on the old forums but without photoshop or any knowledge of how to use it there's only so far they can get me. 

Happy Easter everyone! And if you don't celebrate Easter, well, take some good vibes anyways. :) I just got home, and my first day of work is tomorrow. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for the next 6 months... but that's better than 7 days a week that I deal with for classes. There have been some issues (small ones, none game breaking) with 0.10 that I'd like to hotfix at some point this week. @Beale is almost done with his TRAILS / Gemini reboot, so once that's done I'll immediately take it and get it integrated with BDB. The Hermes textures will be edited to try and match as closely as possible, so the manned pods for the mod have a unified look. I'll also try and get the Agena Target Vehicle parts pushed out.

21 hours ago, Spheniscine said:

Well the one I tried is the one in this thread.

That one is being integrated into Bluedog Design Bureau! Like I said, since it's pretty much the same as the new Gemini Beale made I might as well get rid of it.

21 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Here's a recommendation for PD source files for the CSM (Since Mercury was initially another project), I'd think your apollo would look good with this, if you just remodelled and reconfigured it. ;) 

PS: At least for the saturn I make a 260 in SRB :D 

Personally I dislike working with other people's models. It's easier to do my own models, which are modeled to UV unwrap in my own way, which I then know how to texture easily. Ledenko's model is nice but the textures are a few notches below what I'd go for with BDB. :)

17 hours ago, DiscoSlelge said:

tumblr_inline_msl453Msto1qz4rgp.gif

To be fair, I always said that if I DID do Saturn I'd try my best to do all the saturn.

16 hours ago, Daishi said:

Your constant drive and scope with this mod is astounding. So jealous ><

I need help. T.T

EDIT: My only regret in life is not having more time to work on BDB.

12 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

Glad to see this mod is still under (very) active development! And the Saturn work looks quite ambitious, I with you luck!

I was trying to build a Juno II - Pioneer 3 to no avail. I can't seem to get the 1/3/11 engines to go together, specifically the 3/11 to nest and decouple properly. Are there any more recent craft files where some some of these things are assembled?

I figured out the Explorer\Pioneer SRB cluster, feel free to use and modify this.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cu459o8vybxbaj0/Juno%20II%20-%20Pioneer%202.craft?dl=0

The real one (Thor-Able) Pioneer II would have been overpowered, I believe.

Grumble grumble grumble. I love the video but the lack of fairings made me sad (as you saw in comments). I know there's been a lot of confusion re: the parts lately, especially as new people see the mod after the new update. Someone (idk if they want to be named yet) has been working very hard on making a fantastic BDB manual, complete with descriptions and pictures of all the canon launchers, with breakdowns of the assembly. They'd go along with @Sgt.Shutesie's craft files (whom I need to help update, since not even people who contribute to the mod understand my inane rocket assembly schemes) to provide a pretty comprehensive overview and breakdown of the mod. It is even meant to look like some old document that has been scanned into the NTRS database, which should make people like @TimothyC happy. Here's a screencap of part of the cover:

czhNOZl.png

(does this count as an official announcement?

Also, I have your video open in another tab but I am not paying much attention after the first couple minutes, since I want to make this post and go to bed, and, well, it's a fairly long post. I'll try and reply more tomorrow, but on the topic of the balancing - the probe parts basically are, well, not. If you (or anyone, pls) have specific feedback please let me know. I don't care for fiddling with cfg files. And then as I type this, I am hearing the ending of the video - the smaller tank sizes are actually accurate to KSP scale, which is 62.5% / 64% of real life scale. Despite this, basically all the launchers are insanely overpowered since, well, stock is easy.

10 hours ago, fs10inator said:

@Sgt.Shutesie is suggesting the Gemini paraglider thing.

He can suggest it all he wants. I'm not doing it. :P

9 hours ago, Mister_Pig said:

I think I quoted this to talk about the manual (I'm typing this post over the course of about 45 minutes and I'm tired and I have other tabs open) but I talked about it above. I think the manual will have to have an 'out of character' appendix explaining it all, perhaps with explanations of how I make up all the weird names in the mod.

Also your english is fine. :) In my experience people that apologize for their english type it better than at least 90% of english speaking forum dwellers.

8 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

I'm glad you like it! 

I uh... I'm gonna go ahead and throw @Sgt.Shutesie under the bus and say he's the guy that deals with this kind of things, as I'm a little busy. :P

@CobaltWolf Shutes is our new PR guy. 

Uh, same as above. I think I was going to plug the manual here. Shutes, send me the deets on the new craft files in the most recent PM chain between you me and venom. The one that also has the manual WIP. Like I said earlier, I will try and sit down and make some of the more confusing craft files, just because Word of God(tm) would be better at this point than letting a certain amount of ambiguity stay.

6 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Since there is always a satellite contract that asks for a science bay on your probe, could we get a BDB themed .625 or smaller materials bay?

Perhaps, though I think @akron would be covering it in his mod already.

3 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

We have a Sputnik 3 part or two lined up, but other than that I think we're leaving it up to Beale and Akron I think for Russian bits. :)

Yeah there is some Sputnik 3 stuff. Apart from that, to reiterate what venom said - I'll see what Beale and Akron eventually get around to doing and see if there are any holes I still want filled.

2 hours ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

Thanks for such an in depth response! I'm glad you're going for completeness in the Saturn range, but I definitely agree not all of them are as interesting, certainly wouldn't miss some of those all-solid first stages.

I do the same thing you do; the more variety the better, and I always see how far I can push the parts I have, although I do that regardless of size smaller craft can be much more fun. The reason I'm glad Saturn is somewhere in the future is that eventually BDB might become a more stockalike and less outdated KW replacement. I've been trying but I can't quite do it myself yet, and I hate having to use the stock tanks/engines. 

Definitely interested in learning proper texturing techniques, I did read some of those guides that were on the old forums but without photoshop or any knowledge of how to use it there's only so far they can get me. 

Saturn might be a little too far in the future to be talking much about it. I appreciate that everyone is excited for it but, as one can imagine, once I start on it I will be working on it for a long time. I want to get everything else in order before I tackle it.

I would love to be 'the mod' everyone recommends (#goals), even though BDB is far from everyone's cup of tea, since a lot of players prefer adding as few parts as possible (weirdos). I love KW, FASA, and many other mods. They are definitely where I find inspiration, and a major motivating factor for BDB work is trying to make things better than other versions I've seen, or in the case of rockets such as Titan 1, Juno II and Diamant, I have never seen in KSP (though I believe they exist in various versions for Realism Overhaul). Indeed, as great as FASA is, I wish it matched better with the stockalike (or rather, porkalike) artstyle which I personally am fond of. So I may as well make it myself. I bring up FASA a lot because it really is the mod closest to BDB, other than perhaps Tantares. I stopped using KW a while before I started working on BDB, mostly because I was too lazy to keep up with the community fixes.

The best way to learn texturing is to start. GIMP is free, open source, and basically Photoshop without a few of the fancier features, but definitely capable and I believe what the majority of people here use. I'm in the minority because I have access to professional programs, which while not necessarily making my life easier makes it harder to help people. Most programs do the same thing (all 3d modeling programs generate more or less the same models, etc) but the way they get there is always different. But specifically for texturing, the answer is mostly just lots of layers and time.

Also, if you haven't seen @akron has released another dev update for his probes plus pack! It covers a lot (read: a lot) of great probe stuff that won't be covered here.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Thanks @CobaltWolf! I will again offer to take on any probe parts that are low on your radar so you can concentrate on BDB's main goals.

On another note. Have you decided what you will do with your current 2-man capsule? I thought I read you were considering removing it, on behalf of @Beale's Gemini. I really hope you keep it, or at worst make it a separate pack. I think it can still be a good compliment to the rest of the mod. 

Maybe I'm being selfish because I use it a lot in my designs.

1 hour ago, akron said:

Thanks @CobaltWolf! I will again offer to take on any probe parts that are low on your radar so you can concentrate on BDB's main goals.

On another note. Have you decided what you will do with your current 2-man capsule? I thought I read you were considering removing it, on behalf of @Beale's Gemini. I really hope you keep it, or at worst make it a separate pack. I think it can still be a good compliment to the rest of the mod. 

Maybe I'm being selfish because I use it a lot in my designs.

The problem is it is identical in dimensions to @Beale's, while being of significantly lower quality. There really isn't a compelling reason to keep it. I'd still finish and add the other parts that were planned to go with it, like the little solar panels etc.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:23 PM, DiscoSlelge said:

@drekerb42 Dude, I mean... I find this disrespectful for the BDB, comming and said you only waiting for just apollo stuff a day after the new release ...

so

1459034451-maybe.jpg

No, S***** isn't what I'm waiting for. I'm waiting for the full release. I just got the pre-release and it's pretty sweet. But no. Cobalt has tricks up his sleeves. I can feel it; I know because he is a bad liar. :cool:

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The problem is it is identical in dimensions to @Beale's, while being of significantly lower quality. There really isn't a compelling reason to keep it. I'd still finish and add the other parts that were planned to go with it, like the little solar panels etc.

How about enlarging it and making it a 4-man pod!

17 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I would love to be 'the mod' everyone recommends (#goals), even though BDB is far from everyone's cup of tea, since a lot of players prefer adding as few parts as possible (weirdos). I love KW, FASA, and many other mods. They are definitely where I find inspiration, and a major motivating factor for BDB work is trying to make things better than other versions I've seen, or in the case of rockets such as Titan 1, Juno II and Diamant, I have never seen in KSP (though I believe they exist in various versions for Realism Overhaul). Indeed, as great as FASA is, I wish it matched better with the stockalike (or rather, porkalike) artstyle which I personally am fond of. So I may as well make it myself. I bring up FASA a lot because it really is the mod closest to BDB, other than perhaps Tantares. I stopped using KW a while before I started working on BDB, mostly because I was too lazy to keep up with the community fixes.

Ive said it on this thread a few times and I will say it again. Your work is incredible and the models you have brought to the game are incredible. This mod has the potential to replace KW as the FASA alternate. KW is a kspified FASA, and FASA is too high fidelity and realistic for players like myself who like to blur the lines between realism, fun, and kerbal. If you start making 3.75 and 5m parts your mod will replace KW in my save folder forever because what your mod has that KW doesn't is the awesome science modules. Also with 1.1 coming I/we might not have to choose anymore. However KW right now is being updated by the community and unless its revived officially will end up suffering the fate of all the classic mods. I rarely even hear people talking about Bobcats mods anymore. So keep at it man you are doing Kods work. 

Edited by sp1989

8 hours ago, akron said:

How about enlarging it and making it a 4-man pod!

Eh. Honestly - at this point, any solution that allows me to keep it in would be as much work as designing a new part from scratch. I think I am going to let it slide.

4 hours ago, sp1989 said:

Ive said it on this thread a few times and I will say it again. Your work is incredible and the models you have brought to the game are incredible. This mod has the potential to replace KW as the FASA alternate. KW is a kspified FASA, and FASA is too high fidelity and realistic for players like myself who like to blur the lines between realism, fun, and kerbal. If you start making 3.75 and 5m parts your mod will replace KW in my save folder forever because what your mod has that KW doesn't is the awesome science modules. Also with 1.1 coming I/we might not have to choose anymore. However KW right now is being updated by the community and unless its revived officially will end up suffering the fate of all the classic mods. I rarely even hear people talking about Bobcats mods anymore. So keep at it man you are doing Kods work. 

Thank you! Yes yes 3.75m and 5m (or whatever they wind up being) will be coming for the Saturn stuff.

9 hours ago, drekerb42 said:

No, S***** isn't what I'm waiting for. I'm waiting for the full release. I just got the pre-release and it's pretty sweet. But no. Cobalt has tricks up his sleeves. I can feel it; I know because he is a bad liar. :cool:

... I just made a full release? If you mean the 1.0 version of BDB, well, that's Saturn/Apollo. I am not sure where you got the idea I have something up my sleeve, I have everything laid out pretty well in the roadmap, the link to which has been in the OP for about two months now and has not moved. There will probably be more things than in the roadmap, but only because I haven't found out I want to do them yet.

EDIT: I accidentally made a KH-8 using the new DMagic update.

Edited by CobaltWolf

9 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

I'm going to write a MM.cfg to rename all these parts to their real counterparts, just out of spite. Titan IV/Centaur is full Bëast Möde.

Do it! I'll link it somewhere if you want to keep it updated.