[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

30 minutes ago, BillKerman123 said:

Question: are the things you're showing here (specifically the transtage) currently available or are they a future update?

They are available in the dev-version. Link is on page 1 or here. There is a green Button 'Clone or Download'. Click it and then 'Download ZIP'.

3 hours ago, BillKerman123 said:

Question: are the things you're showing here (specifically the transtage) currently available or are they a future update?

2 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

They are available in the dev-version. Link is on page 1 or here. There is a green Button 'Clone or Download'. Click it and then 'Download ZIP'.

Don't use it in a career save or one with crafts that you care about :P Back up your save first.

14 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Don't use it in a career save or one with crafts that you care about :P Back up your save first.

Thanks! For some reasion I never could find the dev version before. 

Edited by BillKerman123

On 5/20/2019 at 5:13 AM, BillKerman123 said:

On 5/20/2019 at 5:46 AM, Cheesecake said:

11 hours ago, BillKerman123 said:

Thanks! For some reasion I never could find the dev version before. 

I'm a big dummy and forgot to mention you need to be on the development branch and not the master branch - we started using separate dev branches recently so that hotfixes could still be made to the main mod during dev cycles.

Started using this mod today on KSP 1.7, But i'm having an issue with Sina MEM-ASC causing my entire screen to go white while on the launch pad, i'm assuming it's somehow linked to Scatterer but i'm not quite sure.

Uploading a video of the issue, Will edit this with a link to it once it's done.

EDIT: Link https://streamable.com/greyi

Edited by CosmicDreams
Added video link

1 hour ago, CosmicDreams said:

Started using this mod today on KSP 1.7, But i'm having an issue with Sina MEM-ASC causing my entire screen to go white while on the launch pad, i'm assuming it's somehow linked to Scatterer but i'm not quite sure.

Uploading a video of the issue, Will edit this with a link to it once it's done.

EDIT: Link https://streamable.com/greyi

I... huh. That's a new one.

I'm getting this error on startup, I have the most recent version of b9part switch. 

Edit: did some nosing around on the b9 forum. Do I need to use a dev version of BDB?

Spoiler

jxjDKoc.png

Edited by Boamere

2 hours ago, Boamere said:

I'm getting this error on startup, I have the most recent version of b9part switch. 

Edit: did some nosing around on the b9 forum. Do I need to use a dev version of BDB?

Reveal hidden contents

jxjDKoc.png

I've been getting that too.

Everything still seems to work though so my main issue is still the MEM.

Another question: Have you considered making it so you can toggle on/off the RCS redirector thingies on the LEM descent stage? The problem is they get in the way when you're trying to mount anything other than a LEM ascent stage on top, which makes making stuff for the AAP difficult.

Which is another thing, have you considered adding more LEM variants for the AAP? You can make LEM shelters, etc right now but it would be nice to have proper dedicated parts for them. You wouldn't need to do too much work, just a version of the LEM ascent stage without fuel and more living space, maybe a bigger airlock assembly, and larger equipment racks. And adding in dedicated wheels for a MOLEM would be amazing. The MOLEM is an amazing vehicle and severely underappreciated. 

http://www.astronautix.com/m/molem.html 

http://www.astronautix.com/a/apollolmshelter.html 

And that's just two examples. There were hundreds of ideas for the AAP, from artificial gravity stations tethered to spent SIV-Bs, to Moon bases, to Mars missions. Of course, that's a lot of work if you want to make parts for all of them, but I think at least some of them deserve dedicated parts. And by the very nature of the AAP, such parts would be modifications of existing ones, so it will require less work. 

Of course, for now, simply being able to toggle the RCS guards on the LEM will suffice. 

Edited by BillKerman123

21 hours ago, CosmicDreams said:

I tried removing Scatterer and sure enough...

Issue is fixed! 

So it's definitely related to Scatterer.

That's interesting. But it was only affecting the LEM? I can't think of anything special about the LEM compared to some of the other parts like the Apollo capsule.

7 hours ago, Boamere said:

Reveal hidden contents

jxjDKoc.png

5 hours ago, CosmicDreams said:

I've been getting that too.

Everything still seems to work though so my main issue is still the MEM.

Those are errors that were always present, but a recent B9PS update started putting them in warning messages on startup. I believe all the issues were fixed before the last release, the only remaining issues are with the Titan parts, which are currently being remade from scratch and so I didn't bother going in to fix them.

11 minutes ago, BillKerman123 said:

Another question: Have you considered making it so you can toggle on/off the RCS redirector thingies on the LEM descent stage? The problem is they get in the way when you're trying to mount anything other than a LEM ascent stage on top, which makes making stuff for the AAP difficult.

Which is another thing, have you considered adding more LEM variants for the AAP? You can make LEM shelters, etc right now but it would be nice to have proper dedicated parts for them. You wouldn't need to do too much work, just a version of the LEM ascent stage without fuel and more living space, maybe a bigger airlock assembly, and larger equipment racks. And adding in dedicated wheels for a MOLEM would be amazing. The MOLEM is an amazing vehicle and severely underappreciated. 

http://www.astronautix.com/m/molem.html 

http://www.astronautix.com/a/apollolmshelter.html

And that's just two examples. There were hundreds of ideas for the AAP, from artificial gravity stations tethered to spent SIV-Bs, to Moon bases, to Mars missions. Of course, that's a lot of work if you want to make parts for all of them, but I think at least some of them deserve dedicated parts. And by the very nature of the AAP, such parts would be modifications of existing ones, so it will require less work. 

Of course, for now, simply being able to toggle the RCS guards on the LEM will suffice. 

Welllll.... I'm not sure, and the answer to both of your questions is: The current LM models, UVs, and textures aren't that good, and certainly aren't very conductive to making variants for a number of reasons (restrictions from AO baking, weird geometry that needs to be hacked apart, etc)... I've started work on LM variants several times, specifically something based on some of the Early Lunar Shelter paintings and something based on SheLab (which I can't find a picture of the model I started on)... but every time it came back to, wow, I am really unhappy building off these existing LM assets. And so, it keeps getting pushed back, because redoing the LM would be a big time investment (sort of undercuts any time that would be saved with the "well they're just variants"), and there are much worse parts in the mod. I've also in general always had this unshakable instinct to hold off on doing too much AAP stuff until I get everything smaller out of the way, which makes as little sense to me as it probably does to you - idk, I feel like people would rather me spend a year distracted by AAP stuff that lets you do interesting crewed missions, rather than last year which was spent distracted by small all-solid launch vehicles nobody had ever heard of :P

By the way, one thing I'm definitely NOT doing is MOLEM. Wheels are legendarily horrible to make and get working properly in KSP. :)

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

idk, I feel like people would rather me spend a year distracted by AAP stuff that lets you do interesting crewed missions, rather than last year which was spent distracted by small all-solid launch vehicles nobody had ever heard of :P

The only opinion that counts is yours - you must do whatever interests you the most.  It's your time after all!

It does make me think I need to do something creative with the MEM parts though.  I know how much you love my weird contraptions.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Welllll.... I'm not sure, and the answer to both of your questions is: The current LM models, UVs, and textures aren't that good, and certainly aren't very conductive to making variants for a number of reasons (restrictions from AO baking, weird geometry that needs to be hacked apart, etc)... I've started work on LM variants several times, specifically something based on some of the Early Lunar Shelter paintings and something based on SheLab (which I can't find a picture of the model I started on)... but every time it came back to, wow, I am really unhappy building off these existing LM assets. And so, it keeps getting pushed back, because redoing the LM would be a big time investment (sort of undercuts any time that would be saved with the "well they're just variants"), and there are much worse parts in the mod. I've also in general always had this unshakable instinct to hold off on doing too much AAP stuff until I get everything smaller out of the way, which makes as little sense to me as it probably does to you - idk, I feel like people would rather me spend a year distracted by AAP stuff that lets you do interesting crewed missions, rather than last year which was spent distracted by small all-solid launch vehicles nobody had ever heard of :P

By the way, one thing I'm definitely NOT doing is MOLEM. Wheels are legendarily horrible to make and get working properly in KSP. :)

Ok, that's fine. I would agree that redoing the LEM should wait until you have all the other stuff ironed out first. On another note: the SheLab looks amazing, when you get to the AAP stuff you need to make one of those! And the little rover that it deploys. For that matter, any Lunar rover would be good, since currently, it's very hard to make ones that fit on the side of the MEM. 

Also, if the MOLEMs wheels are that difficult, you could just make the MOLEM ascent stage variant and the wheels can be borrowed from another mod, or from stock. 

For now, though, we can always stick to trying to modify the already existing MEM parts:

https://imgur.com/gallery/y9DhLU3 

Well, it turns out there was a release of Scatterer only on GitHub that had a fix for the weird white screen, so I guess the issue wasn't just affecting this mod. It's working perfectly now at least.

Just flew a mission to the Mün and back using the Saturn V, felt real good!(Though I think I held onto the second stage for too long, third stage for barely any time at all...)

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I feel like people would rather me spend a year distracted by AAP stuff that lets you do interesting crewed missions, rather than last year which was spent distracted by small all-solid launch vehicles nobody had ever heard of :P 

HEY!   I have heard of them!  In-fact I requested the neatest one of them... oh wait.... :D:cool::sticktongue:.....

Don't hit me ya'all! :>

Ugh... Wish this forum software used used the correct syntax for grin :> not :D

24 minutes ago, CosmicDreams said:

Well, it turns out there was a release of Scatterer only on GitHub that had a fix for the weird white screen, so I guess the issue wasn't just affecting this mod. It's working perfectly now at least.

Just flew a mission to the Mün and back using the Saturn V, felt real good!(Though I think I held onto the second stage for too long, third stage for barely any time at all...)

Good job figuring it out.   I was just about to fire up KSP to check this out when I saw the earlier post that removing Scatter solved the problem.

Back to finish my KOTOR2 play-through before The next Battletech expansion comes out...    By THEN I hope we will see a completion of the Titan III parts :)   Ugh too many games have gone on sale recently that are awesome and I must play / play again.   I have not flown in any game or simulation in 4 weeks (KOTOR/KOTOR2 don't count cause you don't control the Ebon Hawk yourself.)

And Cobalt/Jso....  Please don't take the above as me asking you to hurry up.  I have patience.   I know this is the "slow down" season for BDB and am prepared... (see above paragraph.)  

19 hours ago, BillKerman123 said:

Ok, that's fine. I would agree that redoing the LEM should wait until you have all the other stuff ironed out first. On another note: the SheLab looks amazing, when you get to the AAP stuff you need to make one of those! And the little rover that it deploys. For that matter, any Lunar rover would be good, since currently, it's very hard to make ones that fit on the side of the MEM. 

Also, if the MOLEMs wheels are that difficult, you could just make the MOLEM ascent stage variant and the wheels can be borrowed from another mod, or from stock. 

For now, though, we can always stick to trying to modify the already existing MEM parts:

https://imgur.com/gallery/y9DhLU3 

Rovers are really out of scope as far as I'm concerned, maybe one day I'll summon up the courage to try and make them. :)

Those are some nice builds though!

17 hours ago, CosmicDreams said:

Are you playing in stock scale? That would be why. The BDB parts are balanced and scaled against the stock parts (otherwise they would be super underpowered), but as a result they outperform the real world versions by a good bit. if you want things to be more accurate, using a 2.5x-3.2x rescale will make things behave more realistically (and give more of a challenge :) )

17 hours ago, Pappystein said:

And Cobalt/Jso....  Please don't take the above as me asking you to hurry up.  I have patience.   I know this is the "slow down" season for BDB and am prepared... (see above paragraph.)  

I actually leave town tonight, so I won't be back until June. I was hoping to find time to work on stuff a little more before I left, but unfortunately that wasn't the case... I'm already itching to get back and try and push to finish all this Titan crap...

1 hour ago, Kerbal01 said:

Any suggestions for making a DPAF for Delta II or really any rocket in the pack? Stacking bus on bus works ok but for one purpose I have.

maybe have like, matryoshka doll fairings with the interstage nodes? or even just, the fairing interstage nodes? (which I don't know how they work or whether anything in BDB has them)

1 hour ago, TonedMite133805 said:

Will this work on 1.7?

It should, just make sure the dependencies are updated.

@Jso BDBv1.5.2 is entirely functional in 1.7, right? I should have updated the thread and spacedock listing.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Does anyone know a way to get the engines and command pods to be compatible with Kerbalism? I can't add oxygen or any other life support resources to the pods and the engines all have unlimited restarts and no ulage, but all the other parts seem to work just fine, fuel tanks and transmitters all. What's even more confusing is I have some legacy parts from other mods that (miraculously) still work even though they haven't been updated in years and they work just fine with kerbalism. Is there a patch file or something I can download?

3 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

Any suggestions for making a DPAF for Delta II or really any rocket in the pack? Stacking bus on bus works ok but for one purpose I have.

here you go. Old but works well in 1.6.x and 1.7.x.

3 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

Knes also has a nice DPAF for Ariane 5 (3.75m). IIRC Knes does not come with tweakscale configs but shouldnt be hard to add a patch yourself to be able to fit it to different rocket sizes.

D0lvXs2X0AEWZWe.jpg

If you're not interested in the looks, its worth noting that all BDB fairing bases support interstage nodes which can be toggled on just like stock fairings to enable multiple payloads mounted on a truss structure. You dont have to attach one sat bus to another.